• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Toei picked up World Trigger and have pegged it as their next long-runner. The first 50 episodes are a very faithful adaptation ofthe manga, but the animation is exceptionally wonky. The first 20 episodes in particular are painful.

The anime just started what appears to be a lengthy filler arc, since the newest opening is dedicated to it.

Subsequent volumes delve more into the world and expands on the Neighbors and their world as well. It's a slow series but I enjoy it for being through with the explanations and world building it does, as well as the character growth.

The anime is faithful to the source but the first 20 episodes are really shoddily made. Aside from the animation and production problems, the way it was directed early one was painfully slow to watch especially during the board room meetings or when characters talked with each other.

I say skip to episode 21-22 since that is when the anime went on from bad/passable to being good and at some occasions great even.
Thanks for the info!
Anyone can help Aizo? (paging Usobuko and Lain since both like to read weird stuffs)
Wish I read horror so I could help.

I don't dig horror much. Outside of Shintaro Kago, Suehiro Maruo, some Ito one-shots and the odd stuff like Franken Fran or Scumbag Loser I usually avoid horror. I can dig some instance of eroguro because of the weird angle taken, like what the crazy mind of Uziga can birth out, as it becomes more of a dark comedy than real horror, though at least one of his stories has been soul crushing.

A Huge Battleship would be the right person to give some horror advice/suggestions.

ryan13ts

Nanatsu no Tazai:

ESCANOR!! I knew he would finally be popping up considering the situation Ban, Elaine and Jeriico are in, and no one else around to save them. I'm guessing he stays in that cave to stay out of the sun, which triggers his split-personality. I can't wait to see his other half wreck Garan.

Also, loving that stache' he's rocking

bobohoro

Youkai Shoujo 59

That akward sibling trust.

Fairy Tail 458

Another dumb Ezra fight, who would've figured.

Shokugeki No Soma 140

Well, if it's a no-rules-game now they just have to beat Eizen at his own games. Which was always the theme of the series. Shame it's not primarily about the cooking now.

Zweizer

Banned
I don't dig horror much. Outside of Shintaro Kago, Suehiro Maruo, some Ito one-shots and the odd stuff like Franken Fran or Scumbag Loser I usually avoid horror. I can dig some instance of eroguro because of the weird angle taken, like what the crazy mind of Uziga can birth out, as it becomes more of a dark comedy than real horror, though at least one of his stories has been soul crushing.

A Huge Battleship would be the right person to give some horror advice/suggestions.

Yeah, I'd suggest to read Suehiro Maruo's stuff if you haven't done so yet, as well as Hino Hideshi's, along with Usamaru Furuya's Lychee Light Club and Ishikawa Emi' Screaming Lessons.

Have there been any new, good Horror manga in the past two years not done by Itou Junji?
I don't know if any of you remember, but I read a lot of Horror. I can jump into more of the Umezz catalog, but I don't know what else there is that's good, which I haven't already read.

I like things that subvert expectations, like the work of Kago Shintarou (though I really don't like eroguro).
67061.jpg

I also just love pretty much everything Itou has done.

Well, you already mentioned Itou and Kago, and Marou has also been mentioned by another poster...

Maybe Fuan no Tane, from Nakayama Masaaki? I haven't read it, I have to warn you, so I'm not sure of the quality. There is even more if you like it, Fuan no Tane +.

Sölf

9781941220931.jpg

Ninja Slayer Vol. 1
Holy shit, that was awesome. The art is much more serious than the anime, even the story is more understandable, but the dialogue, especially the narrator, is still so damn over the top, it's hilarious. Can't wait for volume 2. <3

Aizo

Banned
Anyone can help Aizo? (paging Usobuko and Lain since both like to read weird stuffs)
Wish I read horror so I could help.
Thank you!
Well, you already mentioned Itou and Kago, and Marou has also been mentioned by another poster...

Maybe Fuan no Tane, from Nakayama Masaaki? I haven't read it, I have to warn you, so I'm not sure of the quality. There is even more if you like it, Fuan no Tane +.
I've read Fuan no Tane, most of Fuan no Tane+, and a volume of his newest series.

Maybe I should track down some more Kago stuff. The thing is, that eroguro makes me uncomfortable, so I don't really want to buy Kago or Maruo stuff. I think I've read enough Maruo—except his Edogawa Rampo adaptations, which I still want to read.

Maybe it's time for me to find a new favorite genre. ;___;

Kyuur

Tokyo Ghoul: re 50

Not ready to accept these
Souta
theories as fact yet, but seems pretty reasonable. I wonder if the 'murdering cannibal' line leads into something in the bigger picture for the
Clowns, although Nico stood by Yamori without caring so that seems unlikely. Just a personal opinion maybe?

Hope we get to see more of the Noro fight next chapter.

bobohoro

Mahou Sensei Negima! 248

The fight between Negi/Kotarou and Rakan/Kage-chan might just be one of the best in Shounen history. Full of twists, insane power and just pure fun. And the ending brings manly tears to battle-steeled hearts. So good.

Shengar

Thank you!

I've read Fuan no Tane, most of Fuan no Tane+, and a volume of his newest series.

Maybe I should track down some more Kago stuff. The thing is, that eroguro makes me uncomfortable, so I don't really want to buy Kago or Maruo stuff. I think I've read enough Maruo—except his Edogawa Rampo adaptations, which I still want to read.

Maybe it's time for me to find a new favorite genre. ;___;

I think it's hard to give a horror manga recommendation since it's a dwindling genre (due to the nature of itself and the high skill ceiling to be considered good). It's rare in raw number and even rarer to be scantlated.

Well, let's hope A Huge Battleship see this post.

upandaway

Haruwaka 7-8

Weird fake out with the brother but I guess setting him up with Waka is too easy. I was expecting worse from the school photoshoot considering how much he was hesitating but it wasn't that bad.

World Trigger volume 1
t58b.jpg

Enjoyable read despite the little info given in the first volume.
The chemistry between Osamu and Yuma isn't half bad and their differing personalities play nicely off each other.
The Neighbor stuff and the powers/triggers etc have me interested, though there isn't enough in the first volume to let me see how deep it's gonna be.
I'm expecting Osamu to end in some trouble because of Yuma.

Is the anime adaption of this faithful enough to the volumes? I'm thinking of taking a look to have a peek at the upcoming events while I wait for more volumes to come out here.

I loved and still love the anime probably all of it (and first OP is epic, cant GiriGiri enough [Sonar Pocket]). Its pretty funny at times especially those opening ones and lots of my favorite VA's are in it.

Nanatsu no Tazai

mad respect for Jeriico as a character the more I see of her the more she grows on me...

Also is that Escanor? lol that he named his pub after Merlin

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V 3
tumblr_nwu6lwFa8K1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

HE's finally here! But why didnt he summon Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon instead.

Have to say Im more of a fan of Sawatari, Sora, Akaba Reiji, Kurosaki and others instead of Yuuya (though he is still one of the best duelists, the ladies and gentle part had me all happy and such, we havent heard it in so long in the anime).

upandaway

Hayate no Gotoku ch509: "On a three day two night trip to Paris, this manga's editor had the bad luck to have his wallet stolen on the first day, to be bedridden by a stomachache the next day, and to return home without doing anything the last day."

Whoa wait he really won huh. I still maintained that even if he wins he won't stop butlering but I'm curious to see what's gonna happen now. I haven't really been keeping track about the jewels so uh, whatever about that.

World Trigger 120

A bit more setup for the upcoming invasion that's getting me kind of excited as a breakaway from the Rank Wars. Too bad no chapter again next week. This release cycle is killing me.

Arabesque

Unless Ashiahara's health takes a nosedive like Hoshino's did, I doubt it will move to Jump SQ anytime soon. The breaks are occurring at a regular pace so I think it's something Ashihara worked out with the editorial (given his tweet about it also).

Mahou Sensei Negima! 248

The fight between Negi/Kotarou and Rakan/Kage-chan might just be one of the best in Shounen history. Full of twists, insane power and just pure fun. And the ending brings manly tears to battle-steeled hearts. So good.

Yeah, I think that was the fight most people remember as when the series officially thrown away any pretense about going back to the old romcom ways and Akamatsu committed to the Shonen Adventure path.

I didn't like how it coped out of letting Negi get the win in the end and had it be a "draw", but it was a seriously awesome fight. Seeing Negi go Super Saiyan was also something :p

World Trigger 120

A bit more setup for the upcoming invasion that's getting me kind of excited as a breakaway from the Rank Wars. Too bad no chapter again next week. This release cycle is killing me.

Yeah, the breaks suck but given Ashihara's health, I can live with 3 to 4 chapters and then a break. Especially if it continues being this good from chapter to chapter.

The set up his chapter is interesting for future events in terms of what Hyuse will do from now on, but I don't know what direction things will take with him seemingly planning to catch a ride with the Golpoula forces, but what Enedorad said seems to hint at those guys having been sent by Hyrien (given they are his forces) to make sure Hyuse never makes it back home while his master is sacrificed (an assassination mission? Is that why it's covert?).

The implication is still that Hyuse will be the one last member to join the team, but like Osamu said, I have no idea if having someone from the invading forces join so easily will fly with HQ. I guess if they are trying to assassinate him, that will make him consider joining Border for protection and going home through the rank wars.

What I like about this is that we won't have Tamakoma-2 going after the Golpoula crew, so that we will be getting a different focus group while they try and regroup and think of ways to improve. I love that we are getting more Chika development and Osamu becoming more of a mastermind, but we got plenty of them on the way to getting to A-Rank this year, so having them take a break for a bit is good.

World Trigger 120
CSRCs6EXIAASvog.png

Laughed at how they were portrayed here even though it wasnt supposed to be funny. But then thinking of the voices from the anime voicing those and how theyd move, lol.

Liked everyone talking and being friendly Yuzuru Chika, Jin, Shuji Miwa, Tachikawa, and others but it felt like it was done just to fill the page count to push the plot developments to next chapter. Fortunately we saw the new antagonists, but they dont have horn or nothing so I wonder what enhancement in armaments do they have.

phaze

Historie 92

These Athenians aren't very bright are they.

Tower of God s2173

I'd say presence of FUG should be enough of reason for Yuri to use "compelling force" but then, this is the series where Slayer nominees can just ordinarily take part in floor tests or any other competitions. Zahard is slacking.

Wiseblade

One Piece

Ahh, that new arc smell.

World Trigger

Seeing people train, scheme and theorise is fun in this manga.

Food Smut

Rigging the Shokugeki is a true kick the dog and forces the series to find an original conclusion for the arc.

Who am I kidding, this'll be settled by a Shokugeki somehow.

Wiseblade

One Punch Man

I'm really starting to feel the drag from Viz's sporadic release schedule. Reading the volumes is just so much more satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom