• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiori Experience 13

3Tj4zrh.png

HAHA TIME FOR STAND BATTLES

Revo

Shiori Experience - Jimi na Watashi to Hen na Oji-san 13

based stand battles ahead

wait what ever happened to that actual music stand battle series

neoanarch

Looking at that Harta cover. It's such a female centric magazine with so many amazing female mangaka and female protags. But its seinen! It's just another rain never trust those labels.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shiori Experience 13

Dem beautiful friendship spread. Manlytears.jpg
Oh shit, it's Kurt Cobain.
Robert Johnson is totally going to appear sooner or later.

Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta? ch.12
Rusian and Ako look for a new meeting spot in the game, Ako almost settles on a love hotel, and the mission is ultimately a failure and they're back to the usual place.

Still stuck with the new girl for the time being.

A Lollipop or a Bullet 1-13 (END)

$20 says the ending'll be a tear-jerker.
I wrote that over 4 years ago. Unsurprisingly, I was right. Fuck me. Fuck everything. There's suffering that warms my heart and suffering that chills it, and this was such a strong case of the latter that I think I've entered cryostasis.

There's this girl, Nagisa. She comes from a poor family, her father having drowned at sea and her older brother being a financial leech. She's an unsocial realist who wants to force herself out of childhood and into paying work as soon as possible, so that she can help her family stay afloat.

There's this other girl, Mokuzu. Her family's richer than chocolate cheesecake, but she herself isn't right in the head. She's seemingly either a fantasist or a compulsive liar, telling ridiculous tales about how she's princess of a mermaid kingdom and such. But she's also prone to more disturbing outbursts, the origin of which becomes apparent pretty early on.

The story revolves around the two girls' unlikely and volatile friendship. It's based on a short novel which I haven't looked into yet, but I can only assume it was competently written given how much I enjoyed this. The characterisation and writing are amongst the strongest I've come across in manga, ensuring that I was completely enthralled by the tragic themes and the girls' pitiable circumstances. In particular, Mokuzu practically demanded my compassion, and becoming so emotionally invested in her happiness is doubtlessly the reason why the ending made me want to decapitate rabbits. Still, reactive emotional trauma aside, this was an exceptional read which had me hooked from beginning to end, and that's an achievement in itself given its slow pacing. I suspected it'd be top 10 material when I first looked into it in 2011, and I'm glad to have that confirmed.

Have there been any new, good Horror manga in the past two years not done by Itou Junji?
I don't know if any of you remember, but I read a lot of Horror. I can jump into more of the Umezz catalog, but I don't know what else there is that's good, which I haven't already read.

I like things that subvert expectations, like the work of Kago Shintarou (though I really don't like eroguro).

I also just love pretty much everything Itou has done.
Reading up, I've been suggested once or twice for this, but I think I'm more horror-lite than what you're looking for. I'm more into cute girls doing spooky things and stuff like Screaming Lessons, which IIRC you said a while back was too cutesy in its presentation. Never been much of a Junji fan outside of the occasional story like Black Paradox and Hellstar Remina.

Anyway, had a quick check through your MAL and will throw out a few (largely horror-lite) suggestions regardless, ignoring the 2 year clause:

Skyhigh: Karma. Better than the original IMO, which you rated fairly well. The subsequent two series are probably also worth checking out, though I haven't read them myself.
Ludwig Revolution. There's a short follow-up as well.
Franken Fran
Man Eater

Peco

Still feels sorry for Kouji Miyata.

He has so much potential and 34 is way too young.

I loved Yome ga Kore na Monde and Kikimimi Zukan was pretty good as well. He was really talented, sad to see him go like this at such a young age.
Now's a good time to start reading his other series about the dog girl but the last time I checked it was still lost in scanlations limbo...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

I feel like we just skipped an entire arc.

At this rate we're gonna jump to a chapter about Fuuka and Yuu's kids and how the divorce is affecting them.

Busaiku

Man, I forgot what Izumi looked like before he cut his hair.
Looks so weird now.

Also, I keep forgetting that Kyouko isn't blonde.

Cwarrior

World Trigger volume 1
t58b.jpg

Enjoyable read despite the little info given in the first volume.
The chemistry between Osamu and Yuma isn't half bad and their differing personalities play nicely off each other.
The Neighbor stuff and the powers/triggers etc have me interested, though there isn't enough in the first volume to let me see how deep it's gonna be.
I'm expecting Osamu to end in some trouble because of Yuma.

Is the anime adaption of this faithful enough to the volumes? I'm thinking of taking a look to have a peek at the upcoming events while I wait for more volumes to come out here.

My first proper experience with world trigger was thought the anime, the anime starts off very mediocre as it's mostly just lots of world building & character building with very little of anything else.

it's not until episode 17 the series comes together when the tactical superbly done combat starts and the production value rise as toei starts dedicate more resources to the show and hire some talented freelance animator & some of their own.

the Aftokrator arc and B rank wars easily make world tigger one the best new shounen to come out in a very long time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada

Since when did Miyamura start being hot for his own sister? ....pretty weird, man.

Angry Grimace

UQ Holder

LOL I knew it would happen that way. Tota's harem powers are starting to rival Negi's.

Poor Kuromaru

God’s Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand 7

This is one of the goriest things I've ever seen. I mean a tricycle emerging out of someones body what the fuck

Also this is massively confusing lol

Usobuko

Banned
I loved Yome ga Kore na Monde and Kikimimi Zukan was pretty good as well. He was really talented, sad to see him go like this at such a young age.
Now's a good time to start reading his other series about the dog girl but the last time I checked it was still lost in scanlations limbo...

Yeah, I will read his other stuff if they are available in languages I am proficient with.

A Lollipop or a Bullet 1-13 (END)

I wrote that over 4 years ago. Unsurprisingly, I was right. Fuck me. Fuck everything. There's suffering that warms my heart and suffering that chills it, and this was such a strong case of the latter that I think I've entered cryostasis.

There's this girl, Nagisa. She comes from a poor family, her father having drowned at sea and her older brother being a financial leech. She's an unsocial realist who wants to force herself out of childhood and into paying work as soon as possible, so that she can help her family stay afloat.

There's this other girl, Mokuzu. Her family's richer than chocolate cheesecake, but she herself isn't right in the head. She's seemingly either a fantasist or a compulsive liar, telling ridiculous tales about how she's princess of a mermaid kingdom and such. But she's also prone to more disturbing outbursts, the origin of which becomes apparent pretty early on.

The story revolves around the two girls' unlikely and volatile friendship. It's based on a short novel which I haven't looked into yet, but I can only assume it was competently written given how much I enjoyed this. The characterisation and writing are amongst the strongest I've come across in manga, ensuring that I was completely enthralled by the tragic themes and the girls' pitiable circumstances. In particular, Mokuzu practically demanded my compassion, and becoming so emotionally invested in her happiness is doubtlessly the reason why the ending made me want to decapitate rabbits. Still, reactive emotional trauma aside, this was an exceptional read which had me hooked from beginning to end, and that's an achievement in itself given its slow pacing. I suspected it'd be top 10 material when I first looked into it in 2011, and I'm glad to have that confirmed.

At least the manga has some sweet moments like this.

GManDH

Does anyone here know about Air Master. I am watching the anime and i heard that it stops on volume 21. Does stuff happen after that in the manga that impacts the story??? PM me if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom