• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Moving seems like would go against his goal of trying to compete with Kuga though.And we have seen how Soma gets the popular votes at the last minute.

Agreed, I don't think that's what he's doing. I think he has a secret plan which he isn't telling his business partner about for no real reason.

Poor Tadokoro. She's basically Soma's best friend but he never tells her anything he's doing because the author needs to maintain suspense for whatever it is Soma turns out to be doing.

Lain

Anime Expo came and went, and nearly nothing was licensed. God this market is so bad here.

North American manga publisher Vertical announced at Anime Expo on Thursday that it has licensed the following books: Sushi Chef Sukiyabashi Jiro (Sukiyabashi Jirō Jun o Nigiru), the Nichijō and FukuFuku: Kitten Tales (Fuku Fuku Nya~n Koneko da Nyan) manga, and the Attack on Titan: Lost Girls novel spinoff.

Viz Media announced at its Shonen Jump panel at Anime Expo on Friday that it will release Masashi Kishimoto's Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring (Naruto Gaiden: Nanadaime Hokage to Akairo no Hanatsuzuki) manga in print. The company plans to release the manga in winter 2016.

Seven Seas Entertainment announced on Friday that it has licensed the manga Angel Beats!: Heaven's Door. The first volume is slated to ship on February 9, 2016.

Viz Media announced at its Shojo Beat panel at Anime Expo on Sunday that the imprint will release the Shuriken and Pleats (Shuriken to Pleats) manga by Vampire Knight author Matsuri Hino, as well as the Behind the Scenes (Urakata!!) manga by Ouran High School Host Club author Bisco Hatori.

Kodansha Comics announced at its panel at Anime Expo on Saturday that it will release Akiko Higashimura's Princess Jellyfish (Kuragehime) manga, Shizumu Watanabe and Okushō's Real Account manga, and Hoshino Taguchi's Magatsuki manga.

Yen Press announced at its Anime Expo panel on Sunday that it has licensed the following manga and will release them in print.

Maomichi Io's My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected
Satsuki Yoshino's Handa-kun
Koyuki's Log Horizon: The West Wind Brigade
Kōtarō Yamada's Sword Art Online: Phantom Bullet
Tsubasa Haduki's Sword Art Online: Mother's Rosario
Matra Milan's Demonizer Zilch
Shinjiro's Taboo-Tattoo
Takeshi Moriki's How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
Handa-kun was previously licensed as a digital-only release. Handa-kun is a spinoff of Yoshino's Barakamon, and according to Yen Press it is selling better in Japan than the original.

In addition, it has licensed the following light novels:

Yukito Ayatsuji's Another: Episode S
Wataru Watari's My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected
Ryohgo Narita's Baccano!

Yen Press announced that it will release the following manga digitally.

Karuna Kujō's Aphorism
Sakurako Gokurakuin's Sekirei
Ritz Kobayashi's Saki
Yen Hioka's Black Detective
Naoe's Aoharu x Machine Gun
Yoshiichi Akahito's Corpse Princess
Souta Kuwahara's Crimson Prince
Shamu Itou's Renaissance Eve

Finally, Yen Press announced that it will begin simultaneous publication of the following Square Enix titles in October:

Yana Toboso's Black Butler
Satsuki Yoshino's Handa-kun
Ato Sakurai's Today’s Kerberos
Higasa Akai's The Royal Tutor
Writer Homura Kawamoto and and artist Tooru Naomura's Kake Gurui
Karino Takatsu's My Monster Girl's Too Cool for You (Ore no Kanojō ni Nanika Yōkai, or My Girlfriend is Some Kind of Monster)
Tomoo Yokoyama's Demon King Ena-sama Goes to a Manga School (Mansen Maō Shōjo Ena-Sama)

Crunchyroll announced at its manga panel at Anime Expo on Sunday that it will add the Princess Jellyfish, Takahashi-san is Listening, Scum's Wish, Sweetness and Lightning, and The Morose Mononokean manga to its web distribution service.

Viz Media announced at its panel at Anime Expo on Thursday that it has licensed Yoshiki Tanaka's The Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels, the anime adaptation of Yuusuke Murata and ONE's manga One-Punch Man, and Boruto the Movie.

That's a lot of stuff. I'm not sure how you can call it nearly nothing but sure, nearly nothing got licensed.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
1387245361916.gif

Boogiepop

Okay, so, looking for thoughts on a few series to figure out if I want to import them.
-Karakuri Circus and Gekkou Jourei. I really liked Ushio and Tora, and I'm curious about this, but I'd really like some opinions before I consider taking the dive.

-Super Mario-kun and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken. Never heard much talk about these, but kind of curious since they're both long-running video game based series.

-Golgo 13. Watched and enjoyed the anime. However, the manga is huge as hell. I was already starting to see some patterns to a certain degree in the anime. Does the manga mostly stick to that short stories feel? Or are there longer arcs ever? How repetitive does it end up? And was the anime a bit of a "best of" and thus possibly giving me a particularly high quality sampling of what the manga offers, or should I expect about that level of quality consistently?

Anybody? For that matter, add Hell Teacher Nube and Beelzebub, as though I know of them they're essentially just names to me.

Edit: And Mx0 as well...

bobohoro

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia [End]

I don't know how I should feel about this, really. On one hand I couldn't be happier that it ended well, Teiichi/Yuuko is one of the most likeable couples I've encountered in my many romance mangas and they deserved this kind of outcome. On the other hand it came about rather easily and without any of the side characters actually having meaningful closure. The grandma not having interacted with Yuuko, Teiichi not directly confronting the shadow, Kirie getting sidelined after the scene were she finds Teiichi at the underground altar, there was lots of potential for further development. And resummoning Yuuko with new rumors doesn't really work well with her being a newbound spirit to Teiichi himself. The ending just didn't really do the series justice, which was absolutely great for most of its duration.

Lain

Anybody? For that matter, add Hell Teacher Nube and Beelzebub, as though I know of them they're essentially just names to me.

Edit: And Mx0 as well...

I'll vouch for Karakuri Circus and Moonlight Act. Both are good, although with some weakness depending on one's preference, but there is lots to like in both and I say this as a fan of Ushio and Tora and of Fujita himself.

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is alright. Nothing too special but for a fantasy it hits the right spots.

Mx0, my suggestion is to avoid. It starts well but loses its plot mid-road, wasting time (chapters) on inane bullshit and missing the right moment to conclude the story on a high note, instead going toward an unsatisfying, rushed ending because canned.
But lots of people like it here and bemoan its cancellation so they might make a compelling argument for you to grab it.

Busaiku

Most of the characters in Soma are so pure, fanservice is actually a turnoff for me, since it's not actually in-unoverse, but are just visualizations for readers.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Agreed, I don't think that's what he's doing. I think he has a secret plan which he isn't telling his business partner about for no real reason.

Poor Tadokoro. She's basically Soma's best friend but he never tells her anything he's doing because the author needs to maintain suspense for whatever it is Soma turns out to be doing.
I feel like he's just coming in late or something, so when Kuga's line is out the door and Soma rolls up, he'll gather attention. Then when Kuga runs out of food, he'll be there waiting to take over the leftover crowd.

This plan assumes Kuga will have an even bigger crowd than the day before and that when Kuga told his guy to order "the same amount as today", it happens. In theory, he may run out of food even earlier if he's even busier.

Once these people taste his food, he'll have a huge gathering that just siphons off of Kuga's popularity. He may also just be doing laps around the place after Kuga closes since the mobility is a pro and at that point he is no longer directly competing against Kuga.

Fin.

Twin Star Exorcists 1

Got Twin Star Exorcists + etc. The extras were great since it had Binbougami Ga in there in the aftwerward and kind of hilarious story of the writers editor trying to get him to quickly get this manga out to the two a year Jump SQ new manga meetings (guess theres more though).

Fantastic to read in print, good art, great characters, good story. I hope it has this much extra content every volume.

Boogiepop

I'll vouch for Karakuri Circus and Moonlight Act. Both are good, although with some weakness depending on one's preference, but there is lots to like in both and I say this as a fan of Ushio and Tora and of Fujita himself.

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is alright. Nothing too special but for a fantasy it hits the right spots.

Mx0, my suggestion is to avoid. It starts well but loses its plot mid-road, wasting time (chapters) on inane bullshit and missing the right moment to conclude the story on a high note, instead going toward an unsatisfying, rushed ending because canned.
But lots of people like it here and bemoan its cancellation so they might make a compelling argument for you to grab it.

Awesome, thank you so much.

Shengar

Most of the characters in Soma are so pure, fanservice is actually a turnoff for me, since it's not actually in-unoverse, but are just visualizations for readers.

Most? How do you define fansevice characters actually? While the Nakiris have their breasts exaggerated in some cases especially color pages, they are hardly fanservice characters. I mean, not only they don't show lewd reaction on frequent basis, they also appears when they doing something else besides showing their tits and ass wearing very normal clothes. Only Nikumi that fall into this very category of "fanservice character". Then, we have Tadokoro who by large have the most screen time and focus as a character beside Soma and she's far from fanservice (and so does her dormitory friend).

All this hiatus talk has me remembering Iris Zero....
HELLO, IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR ALREADY. AT LEAST ANNOUNCE SOMETHING. ANYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom