• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)

Koe_no_Katachi_Vol_1.jpg

This is a really goddam good series. I think something that stuck out to me as realistic, and it reminds me of this because I just finished a book about a couple with a kid on the spectrum who can't leave the house, is how Nishimiya's mother acts and reacts around her. It sounds horrible but when you have a child with a disability or special needs even if you continue to love them sometimes it wears and tears you down. You see everyone else with their children, acting normal without all the trials and tribulations you have to go through and just want one day where you get to have that normal child. You can become resentful or wistful of a time when you were hopeful and didn't have this weight around you. And it sounds terrible and parents realize it is but it doesn't stop you from feeling it and wanting your life to be just a little easier. It happens early on but you can really see that Nishimiya's mother REALLY loves her despite looking like she is unnecessarily mean or rude with her (and everyone really). This page:

Really drove that home for me.

It's such a good series, you made me start re-reading it.

Edit: Also forgot I loved Sahara-san. So cute. Tall with short hair.

Jesus Christ I forgot how crushing the chapter where Shoko's dad and grandparents ask her mom for a divorce is. The facial art in that chapter is fucking excellent.

bobohoro

Prison School 215

Kate throwing punches, and they all hit.
Pillars are crumbling, let's see them reverse this, maybe pulling out another Ouroboros might help.

Tomo-chan 330

Sorry Tomo, those glasses are hideous.

Anteater

no one commented in my TG thread, it was just too shocking

RIP Mutsuki

he isn't dead, he has too much plot armor, I don't see Torso alive, he's a low rated ghoul

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Koe no Katachi is trash because it didn't end with babies.

VRMN

Prison School 215

Kate throwing punches, and they all hit.
Pillars are crumbling, let's see them reverse this, maybe pulling out another Ouroboros might help.
Counter summoning is too strong. That said, I've lost track of where Mari et al are. They could be using Kate's distractions to their benefit. We'll see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The thing that pissed me off about Koe no Katachi was that the Nishmiya/Ishida thing was actually a major subplot that went unresolved.

Nordicus

I didn't follow discussions after the last chapter. Never knew there was something like this. Which of them was transgender?
The kid who was in the bully group and then turned on Ishida the moment he became the whole class' scapegoat

OLqoS1o.jpg

In the final chapter you see him as a woman, apparently as the wife of the fat kid who also used to be in the group

Tokyo Ghoul:re 77

Amazing that a chapter can be filled with Togashi levels of text and I still can't tell what the hell is going on. Maybe it would help if the text bubbles weren't randomly placed around the page.

balgajo

I didn't even remember him. But I saw his picture as a balconist and now I remember.

If I'm not mistaken they were too young at the end to have a decision like to adopt a child. I think that scene existed only to show that one of the guys had a child in a young age.

But that flashback panel focusing more on the blonde guy than the fat one is really strange. Plus the theory is more interesting...XD

Prison School - latest chapters

It's pretty funny if you think about how this has been going. This fight started with the typical Prison School schemes of super pervy stuff and crazy exaggerated hijinks and fights, and now it has turned into a much more "realistic" fights for high schoolers: calling names, shouting "kiss kiss! or "tell me! tell me!", etc.

Kingdom ch474

Dang Kanki is basically going to force the Zhao in learning about PomPom's death

either the Zhao would press down and fall to a trap or they'd capture the abandoned hill only to find out that PomPom is missing and likely dead

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
...that's a whole goddamn genre now? Specifically otome games? Good lord.
I just read "Simply Good Taste for a Duke's Daughter", in which she reincarnates into the jilted ex-lover of a prince who gets sucked into the otome heroine's reverse harem. It's p good.

Going to start "I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags" next.

VRMN

I just read "Simply Good Taste for a Duke's Daughter", in which she reincarnates into the jilted ex-lover of a prince who gets sucked into the otome heroine's reverse harem. It's p good.

Going to start "I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags" next.

Trying to decide if this is better or worse than the fantasy subgenre where at least one character has been sucked into a world with typically MMO rules, like Sword Art Online (which, to be fair, I have never watched and have no intention of watching) or No Game No Life (which I did and actually kind of liked).

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Good post, dude.

Also props to the manga for depicting somewhat realistically how it would be to wake up from a coma

Nicely written. Although there were some hiccups, I enjoyed it overall, and the bullying and deafness aspects were definitely well-done.

Thanks guys!

This is a really goddam good series. I think something that stuck out to me as realistic, and it reminds me of this because I just finished a book about a couple with a kid on the spectrum who can't leave the house, is how Nishimiya's mother acts and reacts around her. It sounds horrible but when you have a child with a disability or special needs even if you continue to love them sometimes it wears and tears you down. You see everyone else with their children, acting normal without all the trials and tribulations you have to go through and just want one day where you get to have that normal child. You can become resentful or wistful of a time when you were hopeful and didn't have this weight around you. And it sounds terrible and parents realize it is but it doesn't stop you from feeling it and wanting your life to be just a little easier. It happens early on but you can really see that Nishimiya's mother REALLY loves her despite looking like she is unnecessarily mean or rude with her (and everyone really). This page:

Really drove that home for me.

It's such a good series, you made me start re-reading it.

Edit: Also forgot I loved Sahara-san. So cute. Tall with short hair.

Jesus Christ I forgot how crushing the chapter where Shoko's dad and grandparents ask her mom for a divorce is. The facial art in that chapter is fucking excellent.

I think that's what's so powerful about the series. There's a lot for readers to pull from and a lot see from someone else's perspective.

Sahara-san da best, yes.

Koe no Katachi is trash because it didn't end with babies.

But it did end with babies!

uVboytI.jpg

The thing that pissed me off about Koe no Katachi was that the Nishmiya/Ishida thing was actually a major subplot that went unresolved.

Yeah, I can see that and I agree I would've wanted that happy end between them rather than ending on their reunion, but I think it works well because their romance was something that I felt was something kinda secondary to Ishida's whole goal of reconciliation and growth.

Instead we got this weird thing where people were wondering if one of the supporting cast turned out to be post-op transgender.

I didn't follow discussions after the last chapter. Never knew there was something like this. Which of them was transgender?

The kid who was in the bully group and then turned on Ishida the moment he became the whole class' scapegoat

OLqoS1o.jpg

In the final chapter you see him as a woman, apparently as the wife of the fat kid who also used to be in the group

I didn't even remember him. But I saw his picture as a balconist and now I remember.

If I'm not mistaken they were too young at the end to have a decision like to adopt a child. I think that scene existed only to show that one of the guys had a child in a young age.

But that flashback panel focusing more on the blonde guy than the fat one is really strange. Plus the theory is more interesting...XD

I had to go back and look to see what the fuck y'all were talking about.

But actually I think you guys are right. Not only does it match up to what y'all are talking about in the final chapter but if you go back to chapter 50 (the one that sorta reveals Ueno's feelings and memories the most), she get's a text from the transgender friend in question. Her picture is clearly female (and the same as the woman in the final chapter), her texts mention that she and the other one were following Ishida and saved him, and Ueno specifically names the same two as the ones that saved him.

The only wierd part is, this being the coming of age ceremony they're supposed to be, what, 20-ish years old? Maybe the kid is one the fat one had outside of their relationship? idk, you're right that it's just one of those hanging questions.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The text she got was from the fat kid.

Yeah the names seemed backwards from what I could tell but I didn't know that was just a mistake or what, which is a big flaw in the argument, but idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ still doesn't offer any explanations for the profile image, other than just an un-introduced girlfriend, but it maybe seems plausible?

Moaradin

OPM Latest

I'm honestly getting pretty bored of this tournament stuff. It just feels like filler. Wish they'd get on with it already.

OPM Latest

I'm honestly getting pretty bored of this tournament stuff. It just feels like filler. Wish they'd get on with it already.

At least it kinda foreshadows stuff from the current webcomic arc.
The new hero association composed of other powerful humans that werent registered in the old one

Moaradin

I don't have a problem with new additions. It's just boring and doesn't add anything, at least so far. Metal Bat vs Garou was pretty hype and that was "filler" as well.

Busaiku

I figured the main things that surprised Ishida at the end was either the fact that the fat kid had a kid or that the lady looked like Nishimiya mama.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch.329 - 330
So much smugness over a few months age difference.

Setting herself up to get knocked down, I can feel it.

Criminale! ch.11 - 12
Helping a hitman become an idol is a hell of an ordeal.

Especially when their smiles need a lot of work.

"It Seems Like I Got Reincarnated Into The World of a Yandere Otome Game"

Does this rabbit hole ever end
Dammit, why are you trying to drag me down this hole too!?

MANUELF

Banned
Sinbad no Bouken 103
I surely didnt expect that but knowing what happens in Magi I guess this never happened

Sinbad no Bouken 104
Well that shaked Sinbad to his very core now to see if he accepts Serendine plan

Magi 304
Nice to finally see them again and that answers what happened with the missing kingdom

Magi 305
Sinbad as a dictator was pretty obvious, he truly believes that only he is right

Edit: Im alone in thinking that Sinbad no Bouken is better than Magi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom