• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am a Hero

Sooooo is there any commotion in here by the fact that Hideo actually did it with Hiromi? lol.

Or maybe nobody reads this >______>

Zweizer

Banned
Ayame 14 v1 Extra

Ckp26q8.png

It must suck to work at such a company.

(Or maybe not.)

bobohoro

First time posting here, am I doing it right?

Haikyuu

In classic manga fashion Sakusa doesnt look like his original shadow. Hell, he looks like a less bishie Yukimura from POT. Still like his design though. But now I dont expect Kiryu to look like a badass Tanaka.

Should have been Tomo-chan.
Welcome, have fun and stay a while.

Tomo-chan 329

Kinda pricey present to give your simple, normal, non-romantic friend.

Before approaching my birthday i have to seriously think what's my age because, once entered the 20s i really don't care anymore.

Yeah, that sounds correct. 3 times out of 5, I will state the wrong age if people ask me about it.

dani_dc

I am a Hero

Sooooo is there any commotion in here by the fact that Hideo actually did it with Hiromi? lol.

Yeah I was also somewhat taken back by it.

Honestly in a Zombie apocalypse all rules go out so I usually wouldn't really think much of it, but a since I always interpreted Hideo as a self-insert for the author, mixed with the amount of focus the scene (compared to every other sex scene in the series), it made me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Yeah, that sounds correct. 3 times out of 5, I will state the wrong age if people ask me about it.
Yeah, happens to me as well.

I am a Hero

I mean, I was expecting it so I wasn't really taken aback by it.

Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To 19

Hayasaka reaching that Fujiwara tier trolling in one chapter, damn.

Just want to point out that TWGOK is infinite times better written than Nisekoi and that the TWGOK winner had been obvious for two years before its conclusion.
The girl who liked him before he "conquered" her and the only non-goddess/demon relevant to the plot. How out of left field!

Anyway, I do get the feeling that Kosaki is either going to win as a fuck you from Komi or just have the most unsatisfying and mean-spirited rejection scene. Not actually sure which will be worse, but I do still lean that Chitoge wins just because it's basically what I've been thinking all along: Kosaki is promised girl, but Raku chooses Chitoge because, per the theme of the manga, present feelings trump past, long forgotten, emotions, and it was Raku's shallow, if earnest, feelings for Kosaki that was the titular false love.

I just don't have all that much faith that Komi himself gets his own theme's implications and will just go for the Kosaki win because trollolol

Yep basically how I feel, I feel the scene that may point us to the true winner is the christmas mall scene where both Raku and Onodera promised to meet under the tree, both were looking for the pendant that contained the old promise, but both without communicating gave up the pendant hunt to reunite under the tree at the new promised time. In a world where this was all well written I'd assume it was hinting at the old promised love being left behind for the new in the present one and a big hint at an Onodera ending, but perhaps it was more big picture present feelings trump past feelings motif and Chitoge will win with the false love becoming the true love as you stated.

bobohoro

Shokugeki No Soma 167

There is only one possible outcome to this situation.
And I don't mean the Central/Azami-thingy.
Let's go Soma!

mdubs

Banned
51yC4syPsIL.jpg

Forget Me Not 2

Damn damn damn good. Also has a really respectful and meaningful small gay subplot which is pretty unique in not turning it into joke fodder like in many other series, which was refreshing. Art is very good.

Also my quote is on the back of the book ^.^

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)

Koe_no_Katachi_Vol_1.jpg

So it's a been a long time since I sat down a read a manga at all, and even longer since I experience a series binge, but this popped up for me and I powered through this shit faster than I expected.

Let's just say, this hit me like a ton of bricks. Yoshitoki Ōima (Mardock Scramble artist) just simply nailed those feelings of my childhood, hell, even the feelings that still haunt me. The isolation, heartache, the pain of being bullied, the silence we all put up to hide who we are, the weaknesses we try to hide, self-hate, self-pity, depression, loss, physical and emotional abuse, inadequacy, assuming the worst in people, not being able to say what you want to say, forgiveness, and the light that comes as you pick up the pieces and find a way to grow a rebuild. All through the eyes of a story that, on its surface seems rather cliche in romance manga, but done so powerfully through the mechanism of having a deaf female protagonist (Shōko Nishimiya).

But I most connected with the male protagonist (Shōya Ishida), a lonely bully-turned-bullied trying to make amends for his ways, grappling with his demons, and trying his best to change. He doesn't always succeed, but that's fine. He's not perfect, none of the characters are, and Ōima goes out of their way to express that; it's not about always having smiles. It's about hearing (with and without your ears) the good and the bad, and growing as a person. It's an area I still struggle with, but a cause I know. I also quite admire her to write amazingly believable characters, each with fairly deep traumas and faults, though some can get somewhat more shallow than others.

I also just adore Ōima's sense of framing. While parts of her art style can be kinda of messy and some characters have kinda limited emotional palettes facially, sometimes they art is just absurdly gorgeous. Her ability to show the sign language in such a clear way, distortions in words and images, and her love of the first-person perspective really drive the emotional aspect of Ishida's character. The Xs that block the faces of those he's walled away, the almost stop-motion-like wordless action sequences, and I particularly enjoyed her love of rapid page-after-page repetition and returning to motifs and locations to emphasize Ishida's childishness and his putting away of childish things.

Y'all have probably already read this, and I know an anime film adaption is coming out later this year, but goddamn. I'm still trying to digest it, honestly. Anyways. Just had to get that off my chest.

Zweizer

Banned
Nicely written. Although there were some hiccups, I enjoyed it overall, and the bullying and deafness aspects were definitely well-done.

lol Even I could not get through Let's Lagoon.
It's quite serviceable imho. The whole
weird island and its surrounding mysteries that obey no rules
angle is fun.

Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)
Like you I enjoyed that manga quite a bit. I agree with your whole impressions.
Also props to the manga for depicting somewhat realistically how it would be to wake up from a coma

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch330

Who wouldn't want her as a big sister~?

Their Story ch93-99

Their daily antics (and those of their classmates) are as enjoyable as the romance, which is nice. The unlocking bit killed me.

She totally got ensnared~

Revo

Adventure of Sinbad 104

Didn't think she'd win. Guess something happens to her for it to end up in Sinbad's possession.

Adventure of Sinbad 104

Didn't think she'd win. Guess something happens to her for it to end up in Sinbad's possession.

Since she's not in Magi, not openly referenced and that her servant is married to Drakon without any signs of her serving Serendine, it's obvious that she dies later.

If anything, I suspect that she's the person that Sinbad holds in one of his flashback scene where he talked about something bad happening in his past to Alibaba.

Revo

Since she's not in Magi, not openly referenced and that her servant is married to Drakon without any signs of her serving Serendine, it's obvious that she dies later.

If anything, I suspect that she's the person that Sinbad holds in one of his flashback scene where he talked about something bad happening in his past to Alibaba.

I'm hoping it isn't death, but it more than assuredly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom