• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Vice has an interesting article up on scanlation

apparently mangahelpers actually went to shueisha at some point to try and joint venture. it's pretty interesting.

i'd love to write a paper on this field. maybe in five years.

It's quite depressing that there was an attempt to create a legal alternative and Shueisha just put their hands in their heads and refused to hear it.

It's the same issue with any kind of piracy, you can't really fully kill it, but a good alternative would bring a lot of people out of piracy and into a paying service.

It happened with Steam, Netflix, and the only reason it won't happen with manga is because Japanese companies lack a forward thinking view, much less one that's global.

Jintor

piracy exists because people want product. if you can compete with free in a manner that's acceptable there's room to move. it's all well and good trying to shit on pirates but the honest truth is that you may be 'right' but you're still losing money you could be getting instead.

i would love to know how workable crunchy et al are at the moment. anecdotally the uptick is enormous, but whether that translates into an industry is still in the balance, methinks.

redlemon

piracy exists because people want product. if you can compete with free in a manner that's acceptable there's room to move. it's all well and good trying to shit on pirates but the honest truth is that you may be 'right' but you're still losing money you could be getting instead.

i would love to know how workable crunchy et al are at the moment. anecdotally the uptick is enormous, but whether that translates into an industry is still in the balance, methinks.

Crunchyroll have some good series on their subscription but it still feels like its very much an afterthought. The fact that they dropped the manga only subscription makes me feel like it's never going to get a serious constant effort.

Busaiku

Japanese company releases have been super lame too.
I can't figure out how to access older chapters on Mangabox, even for premiums. Comicwalker only releases Ptolemy's Singularity and Gundam these days. Bookwalker releases are inconsistent.

redlemon

I think the current situation is far better than earlier efforts like J-manga which was absolutely atrocious. A lot of publishers are on kindle now. Bookwalker has good prices but its app it still quite janky.

LeleSocho

Banned
I think a service like crunchy (anime) could work very well for manga, they just need to be quick to acquire the latest trending manga.

Quasar

Crunchyroll have some good series on their subscription but it still feels like its very much an afterthought. The fact that they dropped the manga only subscription makes me feel like it's never going to get a serious constant effort.

Well they keep adding more books. I do wonder just how many books they can sustain though. You can only have so many translators working for you.

Of course the same can be said for Yen and the amount of simultaneous manga and novels they have going.

Quasar

It happened with Steam, Netflix, and the only reason it won't happen with manga is because Japanese companies lack a forward thinking view, much less one that's global.

Well I think the sheer amount and the number of niches makes it pretty hard to get some legal alt to the aggregators going.

That said the amount of legal digital releases in the west is growing with crunchyroll, comixolgy and others. Same with light novels, though there its almost singlehandedly done by Yen.

I just wish Shonen Jump wasnt the only magazine translated.

TheFlow

Banned
Hinomaru Zumou(Sumo of the rising Sun)

Hands down one of my favorite ongoing sports manga. Wish it was updated frequently like other mangas.

Zweizer

Banned
Nukoduke! ch77

Still so bittersweet.

MVQa4U0.png

Are you? You monster.

dani_dc

Well I think the sheer amount and the number of niches makes it pretty hard to get some legal alt to the aggregators going.

That said the amount of legal digital releases in the west is growing with crunchyroll, comixolgy and others. Same with light novels, though there its almost singlehandedly done by Yen.

That's why you crowd source the less popular titles until they get picked up, make use of the community already translating mangas, perhaps offer a percentage based on views/buys a translation gets. Have a framework so foreign publishers can easily pick up and reuse already translated materials for physical releases. Feature a market of both "officially licensed mangas" and "fan translated manga".

Overall, explore new options to get revenue of products that will never reach other markets, worst situation is making as much money as they are doing now, none.

Golden Boy- Finished

So I just read the full run of GB and yikes....I should've just let the memory of the anime stick by not reading the manga. The story in the later chapters were pretty bad and the scenarios were pure smut at times. Wish I hadn't read it.

http://www.mangainn.me/mangas/logos/cover.jpg_01_22_2015_03_32_04.jpg[

Hands down one of my favorite ongoing sports manga. Wish it was updated frequently like other mangas.[/QUOTE]

Was quite sure the chapters come out weekly now. I also wouldnt link an image from a scnalation site...

Lain

Golden Boy- Finished

So I just read the full run of GB and yikes....I should've just let the memory of the anime stick by not reading the manga. The story in the later chapters were pretty bad and the scenarios were pure smut at times. Wish I hadn't read it.

Did you read the sequel too? If you didn't, you should. If you did, I feel sorry for you.

Probably just dropped because too few people were getting a manga only one, or it was just a better deal for them overall to put it with the regular premium subscription.

bjork

Hands down one of my favorite ongoing sports manga. Wish it was updated frequently like other mangas.

I think it was weekly until a couple months back, but I don't mind getting 2-3 chapters at a time. This is a pretty cool series, though, so any time I see more it's a good time.

zroid

Banned
First volume of My Monster Secret was a very pleasant surprise

didn't really know what to expect, but it's one of the more hilarious manga I've read. Laughed out loud several times.

bobohoro

Berserk 1-3

Damn this is brutal. First he's banging a random demon thing and then there's people dying all over the place. Guts is pretty cool. The fairy thing that's going around with him creeps me out though

One of these days I'll pick up Berserk again.
Volume 13 scarred my teenager self, needed a break, never to return.

Tomo-chan 333

I can't see where this is going.

Arabesque

Vice has an interesting article up on scanlation

apparently mangahelpers actually went to shueisha at some point to try and joint venture. it's pretty interesting.

i'd love to write a paper on this field. maybe in five years.

I actually remember the mangahelpers staff putting up an announcement that did mention they wanted to go legit once they had taken the step to remove all scanalations from their site (even though they host translations still, as far as I'm aware, they no longer keep scans on the main site). That ambition to be a centre for English speaking manga had always been there I suppose.

Pity learning it never amounted to much, but not surprising sadly. I do understand the reason they weren't all that keen with working with the very people they had been competing against in an unwinnable battle (you can't beat the people who get the magazine before the street date), but I think it wouldn't have hurt to try.

Japanese company releases have been super lame too.
I can't figure out how to access older chapters on Mangabox, even for premiums. Comicwalker only releases Ptolemy's Singularity and Gundam these days. Bookwalker releases are inconsistent.

In general, it honestly feels more like an obligation to keep up with Mangabox or Comicwalker at this point. I honestly think Maoyu is the only reason I keep checking Bookwalker, because of how lacklustre support had been.

I think the current situation is far better than earlier efforts like J-manga which was absolutely atrocious. A lot of publishers are on kindle now. Bookwalker has good prices but its app it still quite janky.

J-Manga was a study into what not to do when trying to make a successful online platform for anything, let alone manga.

I still remember how the Japanese companies wanted people to jump through hoops to buy a virtual currency in order to "rent" manga that you can only stream.

I am honestly surprised I had not seen any written report about that clusterfuck of a site ever since it went under. I would imagine that working there must have been nightmarish due to the insane restrictions from the publishers.

I think it is sad as well that Shuiesha/Viz was the only one to make use and try out the anthology magazine format. It is so far the best (not saying much given the competition in the English market) out of all other platforms, since Crunchyroll's trying to emulate scan aggregates had been a wash (to the point where a lot of their series no longer update on time) and the lack of visibility to updated manga or less popular series makes it hard to keep track of them.

The anthology magazine at least allows for people to check out manga they wouldn't normally read or are not as popular as other manga. That and the interaction and feedback given from the team at English Jump at least helps makes it clear they are listening and responding to what their customers are saying/writing to them, even if the answer isn't always positive. Yen Press seems to be similar, though I haven't been keeping with their online stuff as much as I have with their physical releases.

While with Crunchyroll, it's like talking to a wall when it comes to any manga inquiries.

It's getting there, for sure, but it still feels that with the progress made, it's still not enough.

Perhaps more companies ought to put their manga on comixology
CjOj16dWEAAYjYS.jpg:large

It would make things more convenient for sure.

Though region locking continues to be an issue.

Tomo-chan 333

Next chapter is basically going to be like

"I can't accept this"... "the though is what counts"... "having a friend like you is more then enough"

Love Is Hard for Otaku

It's refreshing to have a manga with older characters in it who go to bars, get drunk and farm MATS in Monster Hunter.

I give it 5 chapters before they get together but don't fuck because Japan.

Edit: Whoops, shoulda finished the chapter.

Edit 2: Oh shit this is pretty funny.

bobohoro

Love Is Hard for Otaku

It's refreshing to have a manga with older characters in it who go to bars, get drunk and farm MATS in Monster Hunter.

You got me.

Love Is Hard For Otaku 1

Ruby farming brought up some bad memories.
But then, I didn't do it with a cute girl in a bar while getting drunk. Maybe Capcom actually made the drop rates this low to promote longer social interactions with your fellow hunters.

Wait. What would happen if you'd combine MonHun and Tinder into some super dating hunting app game?

phaze

Tsuruzure Children 92

Because of the supreme effort to avoid misunderstanding on part of both sides they managed to indeed misunderstand each other. Sasuga.

Tower of God

Oh yay it's another floor and another pointless arc. This series really is like Bleach x One Piece rolled into one sprinkled with Naruto on top.

Tokyo Ghoul :re

If Miza is dead then call Ishida and his flashbacks of inevitable death the hackest of hacks.

Glad to see Kurona (?) back but I'm a bit worried about the fuckery she seemingly went through to get her both eyes like that.

Also, that cliffhanger ain't gonna fool nobody.

Quasar

That's why you crowd source the less popular titles until they get picked up, make use of the community already translating mangas, perhaps offer a percentage based on views/buys a translation gets. Have a framework so foreign publishers can easily pick up and reuse already translated materials for physical releases. Feature a market of both "officially licensed mangas" and "fan translated manga".

Overall, explore new options to get revenue of products that will never reach other markets, worst situation is making as much money as they are doing now, none.

Naver does something like that, though their content is free. I just wonder if publishers would accept fan translations in terms of a translation. Its like the reverse of whats in the vice piece where some scanlators doing it because they refuse to accept 'shoddy' official translations.

Love Is Hard for Otaku

I give it 5 chapters before they get together but don't fuck because Japan.

Edit: Whoops, shoulda finished the chapter.

Edit 2: Oh shit this is pretty funny.
decided to try this out. It's actually really good. Laughed a lot and it's pretty relatable to me in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom