• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Criminale! 19
OuoY6BM.png
Hinako wins round 1, Harukana wins rounds 2-9. Despite the former's dazzling displays of bladed brilliance in this chapter, when it comes to the crunch she's evidently a graduate from the Kosaki school of romanticism. Her rival, on the other hand, is clearly a honour student from the Marika college of courting. Still torn over who to root for long-term, but I can see myself eventually running out of patience with the MC-Hinako misunderstandings if they become a dominant feature.

upandaway

Hero Academia

I remember when people started speculating that Luffy was going to suffer real consequences for excessive use of the Gears in the Impel Down / Marineford arcs. I gave off some hearty laughs then.

But here, it actually seems possible. The idea of a shonen protagonist inflicting a lasting injury on themselves due to recklessness and exploring the fallout from that is exciting and terrifying.
It's scary because he is so mentally detached from the concept of self preservation, the first thing he associates with not being able to move his arms anymore is that he won't be able to fight anymore. It blows my mind. Some other protags have that too but they never come close to it mattering, and they would still hesitate or something I mean

I'll be the lone guy and say I think Nisekoi's conclusion arc has been better than expected. He not only picked a girl he actually went through with it, which I didn't expect at the outset.

I actually like how it went down. It was nice how Raku just casually and wholeheartedly accepted Chitoge for who she is, faults and all, and told her in no uncertain terms that he still wanted her. Romance manga would be much better (but much shorter, I guess) if more leads acted how he did here, like a real, mature person.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It blows my mind. Some other protags have that too but they never come close to it mattering, and they would still hesitate or something I mean

I don't know I feel like every protag goes through this. Ichigo has no sense of self preservation whatsoever. Naruto, likewise. Luffy? Same deal. Usually his crew has to drag him away by force. At least Deku acknowledges the concept of limits.

Ascheroth

Hero Academia

It's scary because he is so mentally detached from the concept of self preservation, the first thing he associates with not being able to move his arms anymore is that he won't be able to fight anymore. It blows my mind. Some other protags have that too but they never come close to it mattering, and they would still hesitate or something I mean

A little anecdote to this:
I've recently seen that the first volume is coming out in German soon, and they've translated quirk as 'Macke' (which is a pretty fitting translation).
However what's pretty amusing is that there is the idiom 'eine Macke haben', of which a literal translation would just be 'to have a quirk', but in a figurative sense it means 'to be nuts/to have a screw loose'. Had to immediately think of Deku.

upandaway

I don't know I feel like every protag goes through this. Ichigo has no sense of self preservation whatsoever. Naruto, likewise. Luffy? Same deal. Usually his crew has to drag him away by force. At least Deku acknowledges the concept of limits.
I don't know what a Naruto or Ichigo is but as far as I can see Luffy's normal, I'd only really categorize him as reckless but that's it

It's been years since I read most of OP so maybe I forgot if he showed that kind of disregard

I do know another protag who is as bad as Deku though

w5Aww5L.png

(what foreshadowing, whew!)

In Deku's mind, his current strategies and tactics are compensation for not being able to safely use OfA at maximum output like All Might. That is, in his head, what he's doing now is just a stopgap until he can function like All Might.

All Might's saying "No, young grasshopper, you must discover your own OfA".

At least that's my reading.

Gran Torino kinda explicitly stated that to the reader in a thought bubble, if memory serves.

Is like when he learned that all he had to do to stop destroying himself is use OfA in his whole body at the same time, instead of focusing just on a part of it. Dude coulda done that way before, obv, but his thinking is too constricted.

Which is kind of a theme for him: when dude starts thinking about how to get around his own theoretical limits, he gets shit done.

Plus we already got AfO and All Might stating that he already carries the totality of OfA.

Fwiw, the writer's goal here probably is to contrast him with kacchan, who bears a very solid quirk, but heavily overestimates his ability.

Jarmel

Banned
Nisekoi- 227

I haven't read this manga in over a year and came back for this chapter. Art was good.

Eat shit Onodera lovers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh that Deku's injuries work like WoW durability. His arms work perfectly until they reach 0 durability at which point he can't use his arms anymore. So despite the fact they keep telling him that going 100% will make him paralyzed, he doesn't progressively lose function in them, his body either works or doesn't.

Quasar

Nisekoi- 227

I haven't read this manga in over a year and came back for this chapter. Art was good.

Eat shit Onodera lovers.

Well that was telegraphed right from chapter one. So even if I disliked Shitoge, there was never any doubt where the book would go.

Daingurse

Manga has still so many good moments and designs, but has been totally ruined by the pacing and a case of premature dementia by all its characters sadly.

It's disappointing how this series is obviously being rushed, but I'm just rolling with it at this point. Toriko still brings the hype for me each week, and I'm enjoying all the crazy shit happening, despite the insanely fast pacing. If I stop to think about all the Area's that we didn't really get to explore to the extent of say Heracles' zone, then I feel pretty bitter lol. Toriko had such great world building, but now it's pretty much all about power creep. Luckily, I can find enjoyment in this type of escalation.

I have no idea what is going on in Toriko anymore. Don't think I truly have for a while.

Neo and Acacia are basically Lavos and everyone is coming to job hard while komatsu Cooks god from the inside. we're just waiting for komatsu to emerge throw the finished god at Toriko for him to power up and win.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Criminale! 19

Hinako wins round 1, Harukana wins rounds 2-9. Despite the former's dazzling displays of bladed brilliance in this chapter, when it comes to the crunch she's evidently a graduate from the Kosaki school of romanticism. Her rival, on the other hand, is clearly a honour student from the Marika college of courting. Still torn over who to root for long-term, but I can see myself eventually running out of patience with the MC-Hinako misunderstandings if they become a dominant feature.

Tsukiko > everyone else > Hinako

Jintor

In Deku's mind, his current strategies and tactics are compensation for not being able to safely use OfA at maximum output like All Might. That is, in his head, what he's doing now is just a stopgap until he can function like All Might.

All Might's saying "No, young grasshopper, you must discover your own OfA".

At least that's my reading.

No, grasshopper *flips through book furiously* you must discover *finger following text to underlined passage* your own power

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Soma 177

This is going to escalate to the point where they aren't even given a kitchen, cookware or utensils.
Since they're in Hokkaido, can't wait to have one of the judge assign them to make bear related food.

I'll be the lone guy and say I think Nisekoi's conclusion arc has been better than expected. He not only picked a girl he actually went through with it, which I didn't expect at the outset.

Well, better than non conclusive ending
Hero Academia ONE HUNDRED

B4GFvdo.png

This isn't a surprise to anyone but I'll just say it again, Deku is one of the most far gone nuts shonen protagonist I've seen since like, Gon. This dude is scaring the heck outta me. Love him though.

Horikoshi's comedy is on point with All Might's idiot guide and that Ochako

Deku is too impulsive and reckless, no wonder his mom worried.

Daingurse

Author should try out a horror manga, Neo is so disgusting, really good monster.

Yeah I've really enjoyed NEO. I was honestly not expecting this thing to get any creepier, but I was VERY wrong lol. I think Misutoshi could definitely pull off a horror manga. Some of his panels have had some pretty wicked imagery. I remember that one panel with Guinness looking like a complete savage a few chapters back, and that has really stayed with me haha.

a0awqNj.png

Would love if Toriko got picked up by an animation studio after Mitsutoshi wraps this shit up, just so I can see NEO's nasty ass animated.

lol been reading through Black Clover since some other series are ending and I like it

it isn't the most complex series ever and the plot is uber simple but it has its charms and has good humor... Perfect as something to read without thinking through it a lot
seeing as I read a ton of series already... some that are waaaaaaaaaaaay more complex and leveled it is nice to have some layback series that changes things hear and there as not to get repetitive (ahem World Trigger)
the perfect replacement for Bleach (since Bleach is almost done and is basically on the same level) :D

Angry Grimace

Onodera losing is great. She would have won at any point in the last 200 chapters bit instead waited just long enough to get crushed.

lol been reading through Black Clover since some other series are ending and I like it

it isn't the most complex series ever and the plot is uber simple but it has its charms and has good humor... Perfect as something to read without thinking through it a lot
seeing as I read a ton of series already... some that are waaaaaaaaaaaay more complex and leveled it is nice to have some layback series that changes things hear and there as not to get repetitive (ahem World Trigger)
the perfect replacement for Bleach (since Bleach is almost done and is basically on the same level) :D

Honestly, at this point the main issue with Black Clover is that Asta is a really, really, really boring protagonist, and that everyone seems to either hate him for being a filthy magicless peasant, or thinks he's basically Jesus. Way better than Bleach

Honestly, at this point the main issue with Black Clover is that Asta is a really, really, really boring protagonist, and that everyone seems to either hate him for being a filthy magicless peasant, or thinks he's basically Jesus. Way better than Bleach

current Bleach though......

and the basic protag is what makes it easy for me to just swim through this as a no thinking manga

Current Bleach is godawful. It's sometimes entertaining in how batshit stupid and awful it is, but it's certainly not good.

indeed sadly it is

but I am here to see the train wreck

it was not too long ago when I was a pre-teen and Bleach was the bees knees

the glory days
Bleach alternates between boring and Aizen in terms of quality.

lol exactly

occasional I also look froward to Renji and Rukia getting stronger in power

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay hear me out.

Kyouka Suigetsu's Bankai controls ALL PERCEPTION THROUGH TIME. He never used it because there was never a reason to until Ywach showed up.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
My Hero Academia ch. 100

Those three panels of Eraserhead spotting and reacting to All Might's "Even the biggest idiots can become teachers too!" book in his back pocket was my favorite bit here. Great chapter.

I Am a Hero ch. 236

Interesting that she'd be brought back, even if just temporarily.

WataMote ch. 100

Those two are judging her so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom