• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Loving how fabulous Akira is as a bad guy.
I think I like his older look more. I don't know if the flashiness fits him.

I've been reading lots of manga and not posting here as usual. I reread all of what's out of Keijo to get myself ready for the anime. It's still as good as it was the first time through, I actually think I liked some of the earlier stuff better this time.

I think I'm going to let Saki build up some chapters and read them all in bulk. It's in a match with characters I mostly don't care about and it's still going as slow as ever.
Yeah, I really like it in bulk but the normal pace is rough.

I'd have to brush up on mahjong too, forgot almost everything at this point

Ohmygawd, I have found a new home.... oh man.... I feel like crying.... a thread purely dedicated to manga....
Hey welcome man

Usobuko

Banned
Senpai?!?! ;_; Ahhhh... the Otaku world is refreshing!

Favorite manga so far: Bakuman (amazing character development and witty), Bleach (haven't finished it yet but I love the directing of manga), Prison School (witty, fanservice, love, funny... it has it all), Black Cat (Train is awesome), Ral & Grad (heh), Berserk (gritty and wild), Hmmm... I've read so many that I'm sure I'm forgetting some!

Welcome.

Black Cat is pretty old-school shounen stuff comparatively to what's usually discussed here.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 6
weCGOpV.png
Princess used Rest. It's super effective! Trying to impose any kind of law, fear or discipline on her is an absolute lost cause. Also I'm amazed she can fit all that high quality loot / junk in her cell

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ohmygawd, I have found a new home.... oh man.... I feel like crying.... a thread purely dedicated to manga....
Welcome :D

Has anybody read Bakuman, by any chance?

Read it to completion. I like it and i think it provide some interesting insight regarding manga industry (just tip of the iceberg, but better than nothing)

Jojolion latest

Wait, that's it? Was hoping to go even weirder. This is something that could work in Rohan one shot, but i guess this one work as a filler before bigger plot.

Grand Blue 5

Oh, finally some diving! This is too damn funny and educational at a time.

Saki 100-163

I feel bad for the author. It seem their health condition is more worse than i thought. It's not HxH doodle level of bad, probably thanks to manga being published in bi-weekly magazine with weekly manga pages, but there are times when there's no ink, beta or tone, making it looks half finished. As far as story goes, it's mahjong with supernatural skill, so i can't say much about it.

Dynedom

God of High School

Has any shounen manga escaled so insanely from its very beginning? I mean jesus (he'll probably make an appearance at some point...)

School Ningyo II 1
And we're back, with more volatile friendships than a volume of Screaming Lessons, more stabbings than a night out in Birmingham and more alphabetical mishaps than a round of Countdown. IIRC this's the first time a challenger's been aware of the cause for mermaid attacks, now we'll get to see how tough/fragile their relationship really is.

Mediking

I truly have found a special place on GAF. I ALREADY LOVE IT HERE.

Welcome.

Black Cat is pretty old-school shounen stuff comparatively to what's usually discussed here.

Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah, Black Cat is definitely old-school. Hahahah Train is so cool, though. Dude is basically Kenshin with a gun.

Welcome :D

Read it to completion. I like it and i think it provide some interesting insight regarding manga industry (just tip of the iceberg, but better than nothing)

Hey there! Thanks for the warm welcome!!! And I really like how Bakuman showed how manga worked. It also showed the thought process behind Death Note and other genres of manga too. It's written so well!!! It just had a crazy abrupt ending.

Cooper Arc? When was that?
Also you think One Piece decreased in quality and stopped reading while reading Bleach until the end?
I-dont-believe-you.gif

Hahah I felt like the One Piece manga was becoming incredibly repetitive even though I knew Luffy wanted to gather a crew which meant (go to a new place, meet new party member, defeat bad guy). I started to get annoyed wayyyy back when Chopper first joined. I never liked his character to begin with. Then as more and more people kept joining... I could see Oda was struggling to give everybody a voice.

Welcome~

Have you read Goodnight Punpun and Prison School?

I LOVE PRISON SCHOOL!!!! SO WITTY! SO FUNNY! SO CLEVER! IF YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT IT THEN LEMME KNOW!!! And thanks for the warm welcome!

I bought it and reread it three times. PCP is the best ever.

Bakuman is SOOOO good! It makes me smile that there are other people who have read it. I just hate how the manga just ended so abruptly....

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch389

Tanabe should have been the one to accept the trophy. Not that scrub Jun.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch6

No monsters shall prevent the princess from getting her rightful sleep.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch26

Convenient power-up.

Fat chance of the heroes cooperating at this point I suppose.

pbayne

Sweetness and Lightning 35-6

There's my monthly sugar levels topped up. Sensei starting to get proper compliments for his cooking, his plan to lure in lonely housewives is coming full circle.

Ippo 1149

Takamura's gonna murder these jabroni's right?

Hahah I felt like the One Piece manga was becoming incredibly repetitive even though I knew Luffy wanted to gather a crew which meant (go to a new place, meet new party member, defeat bad guy). I started to get annoyed wayyyy back when Chopper first joined. I never liked his character to begin with. Then as more and more people kept joining... I could see Oda was struggling to give everybody a voice.

I'm not sure what One Piece you're reading, but despite the crew being much bigger since then, every crew member has a distinct voice, character, and role (except for maybe 1).

Heh. Prove it. How is Brooks not a wannabe Sanji? Or that one guy... Frankie?

Sanji is a flirt and a womanizer where as Brook is just a straight up pervert. Sanji is generally a fairly serious character unless a pretty lady shows up where as Brook is usually attempting to be an entertainer performing songs and making skull puns. Sanji's combat style focuses entirely on his feet and powering them up with fire powers, Brook focuses on a fencing style that uses elements of ice along with his df power to sometimes be able to communicate with members away from him or watch people in secret.

Frankie dresses like a pervert but thats more to show off his manly spirit and impress people and look cool more then it is to try and pick up chicks like Sanji's fancy attitude. Frankie's passionate gear head who's always trying to create new weapons and vehicles to impress people despite being terrible at naming them. Frankie also has a deep sense of loyalty as we see in water 7 and later as a member of the straw hats but acts standoffish to try and maintain his image as the cool guy.

If you wanna complain about later one piece being a bit slow paced because it has so many characters and gives them all pretty equal and important roles in arcs that it slows down the pacing that'd be one thing, but you stopped before the time skip where that issue became more profound and if you marathoned it that really wouldn't be a problem.

I'm 100% sure this is bait.

I thought about that but I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt. I have a hard time thinking most people read manga like phaze where they just skip large chunks that "don't seem important" then act confused when those parts are referenced later.

LeleSocho

Banned

Getting bored of One Piece by the time Chopper joined is quite... unusual...
I agree on Oda struggling to give everybody a voice though.
Speaking of which One Piece is once again starting to lose me, these last 2-3 chapter have been a snorefest.

P.S. Welcome to MangaGAF

Mediking

Sanji is a flirt and a womanizer where as Brook is just a straight up pervert. Sanji is generally a fairly serious character unless a pretty lady shows up where as Brook is usually attempting to be an entertainer performing songs and making skull puns. Sanji's combat style focuses entirely on his feet and powering them up with fire powers, Brook focuses on a fencing style that uses elements of ice along with his df power to sometimes be able to communicate with members away from him or watch people in secret.

Frankie dresses like a pervert but thats more to show off his manly spirit and impress people and look cool more then it is to try and pick up chicks like Sanji's fancy attitude. Frankie's passionate gear head who's always trying to create new weapons and vehicles to impress people despite being terrible at naming them. Frankie also has a deep sense of loyalty as we see in water 7 and later as a member of the straw hats but acts standoffish to try and maintain his image as the cool guy.

If you wanna complain about later one piece being a bit slow paced because it has so many characters and gives them all pretty equal and important roles in arcs that it slows down the pacing that'd be one thing, but you stopped before the time skip where that issue became more profound and if you marathoned it that really wouldn't be a problem.

I thought about that but I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt. I have a hard time thinking most people read manga like phaze where they just skip large chunks that "don't seem important" then act confused when those parts are referenced later.

Hmmm... alright I getcha. :) You remind me of when I defend Bleach manga sometimes.

Getting bored of One Piece by the time Chopper joined is quite... unusual...
I agree on Oda struggling to give everybody a voice though.
Speaking of which One Piece is once again starting to lose me, these last 2-3 chapter have been a snorefest.

P.S. Welcome to MangaGAF

Hey!!! Thanks for a welcome!!! My favorite One Piece Arcs are Krieg and Arlong. Those were HYPE. Alabasta and Choppers' was... ugh. But Princess Vivi's was great!

defending Bleach? lol

i guess as long as your not being an ass about it like that other poster we had it could be tolerable.

well at least now that Bleach is over I can look forward to earlier Toriko releases

and how long do you have until that's also not a thing? :trollface

As for the One Piece discussion that series is usually way more interesting when its not about the straw hats but more about the world they are in and how it reacts whenever the strawhats either do something small, do something big or nothing at all. So having all these characters inhabit this world is cool to see
never expected some dude which such a fruit ability be a massive fanboy for the crew)

Bleach 686/END
.....Congrats Kubo, you managed to make a shit ending not quite as horrific as Hitman Reborn. Now please leave the industry, or work with someone who can actually write a coherent plot. Series overall 2/10 (Semi-redeemable Shit).

One Piece 836
Chapter was oddly hard to follow this time around due to the weird choice of paneling Oda did, also finally that damn vivre card finally has plot relevance after...350 chapters.

Shokugeki no Souma 179
Obvious heel turn is still obvious, incoming Jun has been captured flashback during cooking battle.

My Hero Academia 103
Now this is getting me hyped, thank god for MHA coming to the rescue.

Toriko 383
Yes its being rushed to hell, but I'm still getting enjoyment out of it even as the mangaka tries to crush 3-5 arcs worth of material into one.

defending Bleach? lol

i guess as long as your not being an ass about it like that other poster we had it could be tolerable.

Bleach did have it's good arcs and when I was younger I loved so many characters from that series

I adored Bleach way more then Naruto

it felt like the cool, hip series of the so called Big 3

I remember watching some scenes on a CD

oh the memories

and how long do you have until that's also not a thing? :trollface

I know T_T

but still even though he is being rushed and we missed out on a ton of stuff to get here it is still overly entertaining

which makes me think how more awesomeness would've it been if he wasn't rushed
As for the One Piece discussion that series is usually way more interesting when its not about the straw hats but more about the world they are in and how it reacts whenever the strawhats either do something small, do something big or nothing at all.

I agree

Oda has so many interesting characters and getting a update on them is always what excites me

everytime there is a post arc world recap I adore it the most

Bleach did have it's good arcs and when I was younger I loved so many characters from that series

I adored Bleach way more then Naruto

it felt like the cool, hip series of the so called Big 3

I remember watching some scenes on a CD

oh the memories

I know T_T

but still even though he is being rushed and we missed out on a ton of stuff to get here it is still overly entertaining

which makes me think how more awesomeness would've it been if he wasn't rushed

I agree

Oda has so many interesting characters and getting a update on them is always what excites me

everytime there is a post arc world recap I adore it the most

If you are going back to the older stuff like soul society and certain aspects of Hueco Mundo then i will agree (also the art sans backgrounds), but a bunch of the later stuff were not great imo

Hell people were usually hoping for the main bad from those earlier arcs to come in unannounced and troll more as to spice up the arc.

As for Toriko its very unfortunate and as much as i like to troll about its not so great sales compared to the sky high expectations it got its still sucks that all these corners have to be cut.

Hmmm... alright I getcha. :) You remind me of when I defend Bleach manga sometimes.

Calm yourself new guy I'll defend Bleach at certain points but I'm not a crazed fanboy where I can't acknowledge the positives and negatives of a series I'm reading and like/dislike. You asked for me to explain the difference between 3 characters you said had no voice, I clearly did and your only response was to deflect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I legitimately don't remember anything good happening beyond Aizen turning a butterfly. The plot legitimately doesn't make any sense beyond that.

Mediking

Calm yourself new guy I'll defend Bleach at certain points but I'm not a crazed fanboy where I can't acknowledge the positives and negatives of a series I'm reading and like/dislike. You asked for me to explain the difference between 3 characters you said had no voice, I clearly did and your only response was to deflect.

Whoa! Whoa!!! I didn't mean to deflect or attack you like that!!! Honest!!! I meant that I've had to defend Bleach manga in the past from people who thought it was totally trash and boring! You explaining One Piece reminded me to have an open mind! Honest!

I legitimately don't remember anything good happening beyond Aizen turning a butterfly. The plot legitimately doesn't make any sense beyond that.

Riruka was a pretty awesome tsundere fullbringer

Whoa! Whoa!!! I didn't mean to deflect or attack you like that!!! Honest!!! I meant that I've had to defend Bleach manga in the past from people who thought it was totally trash and boring! You explaining One Piece reminded me to have an open mind! Honest!

Fair enough well you seem like a legit cool guy so enjoy your stay don't be weirded out when lewd gaf goes off

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece = ResidentSleeper

Hey there! Thanks for the warm welcome!!! And I really like how Bakuman showed how manga worked. It also showed the thought process behind Death Note and other genres of manga too. It's written so well!!! It just had a crazy abrupt ending.
If you want another manga about a manga artist, try Rin by Harold Sakuishi.

bobohoro

Tomo-chan 389

Pairings are set, the show is done.

Reading the last few Berserk chapters reminded me of Akumetsu (Half Berserker armour to be precise) and what a shame it is that it's not officially available in english.

On another note, after Naruto ended, even though the last couple years were a drag, there was a certain emptiness after closing a series that I followed for a decade.
Bleach though? Whatever.

If you are going back to the older stuff like soul society and certain aspects of Hueco Mundo then i will agree (also the art sans backgrounds), but a bunch of the later stuff were not great imo

Hell people were usually hoping for the main bad from those earlier arcs to come in unannounced and troll more as to spice up the arc.

As for Toriko its very unfortunate and as much as i like to troll about its not so great sales compared to the sky high expectations it got its still sucks that all these corners have to be cut.

yes I agree completely

I believe that butterfly thing was important long ago in Bleach

signified death or something since Kubo spammed it appearing everywhere

from it flying around in their town to that captain haviing it with her bankai as some target symbol or something

who knows what he was thinking

Kubo wasn't really good at actually conveying the powers and plot for his series

instead he had the characters themselves rant about their powers which was a poor decision

-----

About Toriko, I feel (like I stated before) that we won't see 400+ chaptered series anymore with Jump

Mediking

Guys.

Bakuman ended like three years ago or something, and this guy just found this thread. Don't get all "Big 3 crazed" on him.

Hahaha don't get me started on Naruto manga. Bleach is the best of big 3 in manga quality BUT Naruto excels at the games. I have a love/hate view of Naruto manga...

Fair enough well you seem like a legit cool guy so enjoy your stay don't be weirded out when lewd gaf goes off

Thanks, man :) and guess what..... I love LewdGAF. Lol
One Piece = ResidentSleeper

If you want another manga about a manga artist, try Rin by Harold Sakuishi.

Okay! Thanks! I will look it up!

dramatis

Hahaha don't get me started on Naruto manga. Bleach is the best of big 3 in manga quality BUT Naruto excels at the games. I have a love/hate view of Naruto manga...
Don't get too excited. I'll have plenty to crush you with in November when FF15 releases and it sucks ass.

Mediking

Don't get too excited. I'll have plenty to crush you with in November when FF15 releases and it sucks ass.

Lol! And hey... have you guys ever discussed how fanservice is a element in manga? I like how Prison School manga does it and even how Bleach does it. Then there's the extreme side and I also like that... but I do admit that Ral & Grad (guys behind Bakuman and Death Note) played around the extreme side and it really did worsen the story... once you tease your reader... you gotta finish the job because that's what the reader wants to see....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom