• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maou-jou de Oyasumi 6

The princess is definitely the true demon in this story

umisho 56 - 60

Living on an island with no beaches doesn't sound very fun.

Thanks, man :) and guess what..... I love LewdGAF. Lol
Late, but welcome etc. There're a handful of weirdos in this thread, but most of us are pretty normal.

My Eyeballs Told Me To Dedicate Everything I Have To You: First Part
0spTwVw.png
Tags: Yuri, School Girl, Eyeball Licking. 10/10 would eat again.

TheFlow

Banned
yes I agree completely

I believe that butterfly thing was important long ago in Bleach

signified death or something since Kubo spammed it appearing everywhere

from it flying around in their town to that captain haviing it with her bankai as some target symbol or something

who knows what he was thinking

Kubo wasn't really good at actually conveying the powers and plot for his series

instead he had the characters themselves rant about their powers which was a poor decision

-----

About Toriko, I feel (like I stated before) that we won't see 400+ chaptered series anymore with Jump
Haikyuu and My hero academy might make it to that point. Might. World trigger too unless it is rushed.

pbayne

Holyland End

A girly looking guy with some real teenagery problems(and some real deep, though confusing problems) decides to start street fighting. He beats a lot of people up. He gets his ass kicked a lot. He makes some friends. And along the way he gets super buff, handsome and takes his shirt off a lot making me swoon hard. Repeat for about ten arcs and you’ve got Holyland.

-Biggest complaint first: The manga slums hard in the middle where it gets stuck in an awful shounen-like repeating cycle where every arc is essentially the exact same thing.
Yuu is content but then someone challenges him and he loses bad-Causes him to go off the rails-Trains a bit and gets advice-Beats the guy in a rematch-Goes off the deep end and murders the next couple of guys he fights before calming down-Then revert back to step one.
I have no problem with Yuu losing a lot, but the fact that he never seems to display much hindsight or learn from his mistakes is a big issue for me. It’s a case where the short-term character growth is somewhat sacrificed for the long-term, if that makes sense.

+There essentially is no plot expect for people want to fight Yuu. It’s more about characterisation, watching the characters come to grips with themselves and growing up. Admittedly it is a mixed bag, for example while Yuu’s seemingly endless struggle against himself is interesting it gets dragged out way too long and constantly feels like it’s repeating itself (his character feels like it’s in a constant state of one step forward, two steps back, though that is sort of the point but it’s still frustrating.)
+While not having too much depth to them, the side characters all have really fun personalities. Only Shougo and Masaki get any hefty development. They are very shounen that they become friends with Yuu immediately after fighting him. But Tschuiya and Shinichi are two of the bestest bros ever.
+While the art isn’t really great and I never got over the weirdness in a lot of the character designs, the actual important scenes, ie the fights, are really well laid out and you can follow everything perfectly. Nothing mind-blowing but I appreciated how cleanly laid out everything was.

+Yeah the fights themselves are awesome. Im a sucker for it I know, but seeing two guys with different martial styles clash against each other and using everything at their disposal never got old for me.
+The mangaka really knows his stuff or seems to have researched thoroughly different styles of fighting and thought out how to implement them in as much a believable manner as possible to a street fight.
+Lol after the rocky middle it picks back up for the last arc where Yuu kind of becomes a mix between Batman and the Punisher…it’s awesome I swear. And the last fight did manage to illicit a few emotions from me in spite of its cheesiness.

Overall: An uneven series with a great start, meh mid-section but a surprisingly good conclusion. I’ll admit the initial premise of the series was strong enough to push me through some of the rougher parts which will not hold the same interest from everyone.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I feel the authors comments this week were super revealing.

Somehow after these 15 years I was able to finish drawing Bleach!

You know who else probably hated Bleach every week? Kubo. Actually, it would explain the rush job ending. Just said "fuck it!" and started sprinting to the finish line.

Mediking

Late, but welcome etc. There're a handful of weirdos in this thread, but most of us are pretty normal.

Hahaha thanks. :)
I feel the authors comments this week were super revealing.

You know who else probably hated Bleach every week? Kubo. Actually, it would explain the rush job ending. Just said "fuck it!" and started sprinting to the finish line.

Many manga writers are like that, I think. They either rush to the ending when they're losing motivation or they drag it out like crazy because of money and popularity.

And some arcs in Bakuman seems to suggest that sometimes a manga creator is forced to end it quickly because it's losing fans and appeal really bad.

Mediking

Who is going to initiate the new guy on the HOT test?

Hahaha tell me!!!!
The only good thing Kubo ever did was Zombie Powder.

...Zombie Powder revival?

Lol Bleach has some good moments!

Byakuya's Arc is gold. And the scenes where the blind guy fought the fox guy (can't spell their names good) is also so good. I'm telling ya Kubo is great at directing fights and commentary in scenes.

NY Times Top Manga Sellers Aug 7th - 13th

*1. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*2. Fairy Tail Vol.55 (NEW)
*3. Boku no Hero Academia Vol.5
*4. One Piece Vol.79
*5. One Punch-Man Vol.1
*6. Akatsuki no Yona Vol.1
*7. Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.19
*8. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*9. Haikyuu!! Vol.2
10. Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall Vol.8 (NEW)

Mediking

NY Times Top Manga Sellers Aug 7th - 13th

*1. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*2. Fairy Tail Vol.55 (NEW)
*3. Boku no Hero Academia Vol.5
*4. One Piece Vol.79
*5. One Punch-Man Vol.1
*6. Akatsuki no Yona Vol.1
*7. Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.19
*8. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.2
*9. Haikyuu!! Vol.2
10. Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall Vol.8 (NEW)

Tokyo Ghoul is a tad bit too insane for me. Hahahaha it's so complex.

Mediking

Anybody know Gouta from Buko Renkin? He's one of my favorite side characters in a manga. The dude got friendzoned so bad by a girl he really liked. The feels were huge ;_;

Anybody know Gouta from Buko Renkin? He's one of my favorite side characters in a manga. The dude got friendzoned so bad by a girl he really liked. The feels were huge ;_;

I got about half way through buso renkin then ran out of volumes to read ;-; need to get back and finish it.

Mediking

I got about half way through buso renkin then ran out of volumes to read ;-; need to get back and finish it.

You gotta finish it when you can! Buso Renkin is pretty good and the friendzone that Gouta goes through is written so well. It reminded me of myself so much. You really like a girl, try to impress her and be yourself but it leads nowehere....

Verelios

You gotta finish it when you can! Buso Renkin is pretty good and the friendzone that Gouta goes through is written so well. It reminded me of myself so much. You really like a girl, try to impress her and be yourself but it leads nowehere....
Busou Renkin. Good.

What alternate reality have I stumbled upon!? It's an ambitious story with some great beats that ultimately didn't know what to do the itself, was scoured by editorial intervention or never thought out beyond the initial story arc. Entertaining, yes. Good, eh.

Busou Renkin. Good.

What alternate reality have I stumbled upon!? It's an ambitious story with some great beats that ultimately didn't know what to do the itself, was scoured by editorial intervention or never thought out beyond the initial story arc. Entertaining, yes. Good, eh.

I heard the romance was actually decent by shonen (aka mostly non-existent) standards *shrug*

Checked the anime and it seems entertaining but i don't think Watsuki ever got that spark like he had with Kenshin tbh

Mediking

Busou Renkin. Good.

Hahahahaha yeah... It had its story problems for sure.
I heard the romance was actually decent by shonen (aka mostly non-existent) standards *shrug*

Checked the anime and it seems entertaining but i don't think Watsuki ever got that spark like he had with Kenshin tbh

Oh, there's romance all throughout the manga. And I think Kenshin is great but reading some of the notes that are in the volumes... it was like Watsuki was self-inserting himself into Kenshin. This happens alot in entertainment so I'm not really complaining.

Watsuki's real disaster is that desert gunslinger manga.

Jintor

Been looking more at Korean webtoons, the mobile phone format does really interesting things to the way layout and plotting works.

Seems like the Korean gamergate/don't need a prince scandal has snarled lezhin in its clutches though. Man, you really can't escape this shit anywhere...

Quasar

Been looking more at Korean webtoons, the mobile phone format does really interesting things to the way layout and plotting works.

Seems like the Korean gamergate/don't need a prince scandal has snarled lezhin in its clutches though. Man, you really can't escape this shit anywhere...

What?

Jintor

Long story short it's a Korean web war between militant feminists, gamergate-esque internet assholes, with actual politics and scanlator/webtoon/anime industry figures caught in the middle. People losing jobs and audiences all over the shop. But perhaps the audiences were actually a bunch of wankers so who knows.

Any way, the comics seem interesting and if I can get a job soon I'd like to see if it's worth spending money on

Moaradin

Is Tokyo Ghoul worth getting into at this point in time? I remember people praising it when the anime was going on, but it seems like people are a bit more down on it lately?

Is Tokyo Ghoul worth getting into at this point in time? I remember people praising it when the anime was going on, but it seems like people are a bit more down on it lately?
I need to catch up on Re:

There's just too many characters, I don't really know who's who but it might have ramped up by now, I took a break at chapter 43.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

I wouldn't bother tbh. Recently dropped it myself. I couldn't keep track of anyone anymore.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 7 - 10

Nice to see a bit of character development. Though it seems every chapter has a lewdness quota, lol. I don't mind it though.

Tomo-chan 390

Wait, what?

What does it meaaaan?

The way it seemed to me is that she can't help Tomo and Juns relationship, or something like that, maybe.

Mediking

I've been reading Berserk like a madman. It's so good... the character development is insane and there are really disturbing moments but luckily the author uses a karma system.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Matthew 5:39
But I tell you, do not resist your waifu
If she licks your right eye, turn to her the other eye also

phaze

I thought about that but I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt. I have a hard time thinking most] people read manga like phaze where they just skip large chunks that "don't seem important" then act confused when those parts are referenced later.

Wait, wait what did I do this time ?
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

I don't remember the latter part. Receipts please.

If you like battle shou tfu seinens then I don't see why not. The current arc is in many ways a climax to a lot of plotlines that have been build up from beginning so you'll get a bonus in instant denouement to those. As always, I've to defend it against the charge of having too many forgettable characters, their number is but a fraction of HxH or OP, most of them are recurring and I'm pretty sure the current arc added none. The problem I do perceive that due to pacing, some of them get very little screentime and that makes it hard caring about them or their stories.

I don't really want to oversell TG, it's still at its heart, a fairly generic battle story and I do have with have a myriad of issues with series, lately a bit more than earlier but with its careful plotting, character arcs and things like art, paneling, even flow of dialogue or narration that improved by eons during the series' run, it's still by far the most captivating series I'm reading currently.

Oh there's eyeball licking too, that seems like a fairly important information.

Jintor

A kiss and a white lily 1-2

Genius perfectionist outclassed by a natural prodigy becomes obsessive. Then they kiss.

I want to read more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom