• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haikyuu!! 218
CqLjcVpXYAAEy29.jpg:small

Furudate delivers.

But also the rivalry between Hinata and Goshiki over Ushiwaka and other things, and Goshiki yelling at Tsukishima in the two on two (which should have been longer). Ill miss this training camp.

Big One

Banned
Bleach (COMPLETE)

L6unIzx.jpg

Well it's finally here. What a ride that was, for better or worse. I would give this manga props for at least keeping me reading it weekly like Naruto did despite it's dropping in quality, buutt...Bleach isn't quite like that. Pretty much after Aizen's trolling, the manga really descended into mediocrity in it's entirety.

The Fullbringer arc had some promise to it, but ended in an underwhelming way. It wasn't rushed, and Kubo had plenty of time doing something interesting with it, but decided not to.

The Quincy arc as well also had some promise to it. In theory, this should be one of the most important arcs in the entire series, right? It is afterall expanding on the history of the Quincies. A lot of the foundation for this arc I felt was also a lot better than any of the shit we got in Hueco Mundo. Yamamoto's death was a memorable moment, Ichigo's mom backstory was pretty solid overall, and Yorouichi's ass was the best thing in the entire series. This arc had some redeeming qualities to it...that is, until the end.

Before I get to the end however, there's also all of the Quincy backstories we got in this. Each of the major Quincies get backstories in this arc, and none of them get resolved! That includes the one for our main antagonist Ywatch.

Nothing was ever written to really make sense in Bleach. Outside of some good character design and "cool moments," Bleach has to have some of the most fragmented and lazy writing in any shonen manga. Not even the action sequences are unique, especially compared to series like Jojo which is similar to Bleach in that 99% of the manga is entirely action-based but manages to make every battle fresh. Bleach doesn't do that, and tends to repeat itself.

All the characters are terrible. Character development is non-existent, but rather emotionally change for pretty much no reason other than the move the plot forward. Hell we still haven't gotten a proper explanation to why Rukia became more emo in Soul Society arc compared to her more light-hearted personality in the very first arc of the series. It just isn't good writing, from beginning to end.

The only real character in the series I felt had a strong character arc is Mayuri in fact, but even that is pushing it. At least his stuff got resolved properly, even though it was weird all the way through. Aizen was enjoyable for his trolling, and I like some stuff like Yammy doing stuff. But neither of those have to do with how good the characters are by any means but rather how amusing they are in of itself.

If you like unresolved plotlines, non-existent character arcs, action sequences that repeat themselves, "cool moments" and some solid character designs, Bleach is the series for you.

Final Grade: D-

I mean we all called Hayama being forced into the villain role to save his guardian when this arc began. The only issue is they took so long to get to this point we should have seen him joining central early in the arc when they were looking for people to join their mini resistance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I bet Shiomi's tied up in a warehouse by Azami's goons somewhere. Maybe hung from a ceiling over a giant tub filled with sharks.

Akira is literally Kaiba.

damisa

Soma was a lot better when the only thing on the line in battles was pride/prestige. Expulsion being the punishment for losing doesn't add tension it removes it completely

Articalys

Bleach has to be the most vicious cancellation of a series I've even seen, taking into account how long it had been running for, not that it didn't deserve it with Kubo's inability to stop introducing new things. It's like right up until the end he was refusing to accept the fact. It didn't just get cut off at the knees, it slammed into a brick wall at 120 mph with no time for anybody in the car to react.

Anyway, feels weird that it's over now. But it was pretty much lumbering along as a shell of its former self for quite a while, so at least it can finally get some rest. I'll miss the fun parts of it.

Big One

Banned
Bleach has to be the most vicious cancellation of a series I've even seen, not that it didn't deserve it with Kubo's inability to stop introducing new things. It didn't just get cut off at the knees, it slammed into a brick wall at 120 mph with no time for anybody in the car to react.

Anyway, feels weird that it's over now. But it was pretty much lumbering along as a shell of its former self for quite a while, so at least it can finally get some rest. I'll miss the fun parts of it.
Kubo had literally 4 years to finish the final arc in the series. That's more than enough time to cover everything he needed to cover. He just chose not to. It's really his fault. Every other arc in the series ended with a ton of unresolved shit in it as well and none of them were rushed, it was just assumed that those plot points would get covered later...and they never did.

Articalys

Kubo had literally 4 years to finish the final arc in the series. That's more than enough time to cover everything he needed to cover. He just chose not to. It's really his fault. Every other arc in the series ended with a ton of unresolved shit in it as well and none of them were rushed, it was just assumed that those plot points would get covered later...and they never did.
Oh, I'm not denying it's Kubo's fault, I'm just saying that the sheer speed with which it went from "final battle!" to "show's over kthxbye", and the overall non-finality feeling of it all, seems unprecedented for something with as much history as the series has.

Shokugeki no Soma

Obvious twist is obvious. I consider it bad that the actual story is less compelling than just seeing the students sitting around doing slice of life stuff because it means the plot is missing something.

Basically, the Central plot fucking sucks.

Yeah this Central plot isn't that great. But you know its going to go on a while.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jojolion ch. 57

Aight, what even was this arc? I kind of can't believe this followed up the Damo story. At least it's over now.

Mediking

Hi
You can call me senpai
What are your favorite mangas?

Senpai?!?! ;_; Ahhhh... the Otaku world is refreshing!

Favorite manga so far: Bakuman (amazing character development and witty), Bleach (haven't finished it yet but I love the directing of manga), Prison School (witty, fanservice, love, funny... it has it all), Black Cat (Train is awesome), Ral & Grad (heh), Berserk (gritty and wild), Hmmm... I've read so many that I'm sure I'm forgetting some!

How about you?

dumbyugi

I've been reading lots of manga and not posting here as usual. I reread all of what's out of Keijo to get myself ready for the anime. It's still as good as it was the first time through, I actually think I liked some of the earlier stuff better this time.

I think I'm going to let Saki build up some chapters and read them all in bulk. It's in a match with characters I mostly don't care about and it's still going as slow as ever.

Favorite manga so far: Bakuman (amazing character development and witty), Bleach (haven't finished it yet but I love the directing of manga), Prison School (witty, fanservice, love, funny... it has it all), Black Cat (Train is awesome), Ral & Grad (heh), Berserk (gritty and wild), Hmmm... I've read so many that I'm sure I'm forgetting some!

How about you?

I apologize in advance

Mediking

You can find a thread pretty much dedicated to anything if you just search.

Oh, yeah... hahaha I'm dumb.

I've been reading lots of manga and not posting here as usual. I reread all of what's out of Keijo to get myself ready for the anime. It's still as good as it was the first time through, I actually think I liked some of the earlier stuff better this time.

I think I'm going to let Saki build up some chapters and read them all in bulk. It's in a match with characters I mostly don't care about and it's still going as slow as ever.

Yo, what's Sakic about????
I apologize in advance

Oh come on! Kubo does scene directing so good in Bleach. The panels flow so well!

dumbyugi

Oh, yeah... hahaha I'm dumb.

Yo, what's Sakic about????

Saki is about girls playing mahjong. It's known for everyone having a special ability for playing mahjong and none of the girls wearing panties. Going off the other series you like I don't think you'd like it much.

You're not going to find many people on here who like Bleach but Black Cat is a favourite of mine so it's always nice to see another fan.

MANUELF

Banned

How about you?

One Piece, My Hero Academia, Pokemon Special, Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, Sakura Card Captors

umisho 53 - 55

I don't think I could ever do any kind of eating competition. I'd definitely throw up.

Nomi Joshi 16

It is fun to watch them cook

Mediking

Saki is about girls playing mahjong. It's known for everyone having a special ability for playing mahjong and none of the girls wearing panties. Going off the other series you like I don't think you'd like it much.

You're not going to find many people on here who like Bleach but Black Cat is a favourite of mine so it's always nice to see another fan.

Train is really cool... I oughta do a avatar change to him someday. And Bleach isn't well liked on GAF? ;_; Hahaha I love Bleach.

One Piece, My Hero Academia, Pokemon Special, Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa, Sakura Card Captors

I used to really like One Piece in the beginning....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom