• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it good in that sense? I saw a physical copy in Osaka the other day but resisted buying.

It was good but deals with issues of self-hatred, depression, food dependency, self mutilation (cutting one's self) and likely other things. It does seem like the manga will go in on Japan's societal ignoring of mental health issues, and how much they truley destroy someone if not treated.
65IOAx5.png

Fbh

Gold Member
Kuroko No Basket - Extra Game - 8 (END)
Kuroko enters the game, does pretty much the same thing as allways and they win.
As a nod to fans that wanted to see all the best player playing together this was fun.
But it also made it pretty clear that this should be the end of the story and the author should move on into something new.
To find some sort of even stronger oponent he would need to give them supernatural powers on a tier that would be silly. The eyes that see the future and "the zone" being basically super basket saiyan is already silly enough
And while the concept of Kuroko's skill is creative the author clearly reached the limit of what he could do with it.

Jintor

Overlord 1-11

Now this is op bullshit done right. I appreciate that despite the similarish premise to log horizon it kind of goes a different direction with it, and all the characters actually work out to be likable even as they occasionally murder fools. It helps that the people murdered are usually total assholes or it just works dramatically. The protagonist is op as fuck but the tension of things going awry still exists, and I actually like his NPC helpers.

The diversion into the lizard story is really interesting. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

cntr

Banned
You technically don't, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd miss all the themes, callbacks, and the gradual escalation of bizarreness.

Overlord 1-11

Now this is op bullshit done right. I appreciate that despite the similarish premise to log horizon it kind of goes a different direction with it, and all the characters actually work out to be likable even as they occasionally murder fools. It helps that the people murdered are usually total assholes or it just works dramatically. The protagonist is op as fuck but the tension of things going awry still exists, and I actually like his NPC helpers.

The diversion into the lizard story is really interesting. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I'm dead serious when I say I'd read a manga just about the lizardmen's exploits.

It's super entertaining and I really like the characters.

All the build has made me unsure why I'd ever root for Ainz to subjugate them.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
lmao @ the burning pile of Bleach.

Golden Kamuy ch. 62

I'm amused how they just left a bunch of dudes behind to be slaughtered by the Yakuza.

Also, how the hell does his facial hair grow back so fast

Blackhead

Redarse

Zweizer

Banned
The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness ch1 by Nagata Kabi

X0l2WK1.png

A so far rather grim story of a 28-year old girl dealing with severe depression, that seems to be directly lifted from the author's personal experience. First chapter is mostly setting up her situation with her mental pains, and some bits are definitely pretty relatable.

The best battle manga is Tsugumomo and the most outlines of labias shown in a manga is also Tsugumomo.

Shit's fucking hard to recommend.

2nd place is Kengan Asura now that it's gone completely away from anything realistic and focused on drawing Bill Plympton style.

Edit: Ugh, I was reading a translated article about The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and I can't even. She wrote this manga about how fucked up her life was and her depression and everything where she just wanted somewhere to belong and to be loved and her parents didn't understand her and when it gets super popular and her parents find out about it her mom texts her a message saying "Be careful of STDs, I hear they're pretty bad. AIDS can kill you."

Like FUCK. That is so depressing.

X0l2WK1.png

A so far rather grim story of a 28-year old girl dealing with severe depression, that seems to be directly lifted from the author's personal experience. First chapter is mostly setting up her situation with her mental pains, and some bits are definitely pretty relatable.

'______ '

Just looking at that panel I feel like I now understand something I wish I didn't

Gakkyu Hotei

Basically Danganronpa for kids, where thanks to whatever, incidents in classrooms are put to trial, handled exclusively by kids.

It had a pretty good premise, the cases were all pretty interesting and had a good decent level of depth that the resolution wasn't completely obvious.

It getting canned really shows though. The lead up to the ending was pretty rushed, the fourth character getting added got barely any development and they introduced a character to basically confirm what the giant mystery of the bloody classroom was.

But the ending itself was rather nicely done. Nice to see them tie everything all together and show some development in the leads.

All in all, a good read.

Zweizer

Banned
Edit: Ugh, I was reading a translated article about The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and I can't even. She wrote this manga about how fucked up her life was and her depression and everything where she just wanted somewhere to belong and to be loved and her parents didn't understand her and when it gets super popular and her parents find out about it her mom texts her a message saying "Be careful of STDs, I hear they're pretty bad. AIDS can kill you."

Like FUCK. That is so depressing.

May I ask for the link? Not surprised by her parents' reaction, sadly, as well-meaning as they are trying to be.

Gakkyu Hotei

Basically Danganronpa for kids, where thanks to whatever, incidents in classrooms are put to trial, handled exclusively by kids.

It had a pretty good premise, the cases were all pretty interesting and had a good decent level of depth that the resolution wasn't completely obvious.

It getting canned really shows though. The lead up to the ending was pretty rushed, the fourth character getting added got barely any development and they introduced a character to basically confirm what the giant mystery of the bloody classroom was.

But the ending itself was rather nicely done. Nice to see them tie everything all together and show some development in the leads.

All in all, a good read.

Was it ever confirmed if it was canned or if they had planned to just do it as a short series.

Cast was amazing, best three friends background too.

Was it ever confirmed if it was canned or if they had planned to just do it as a short series.

Cast was amazing, best three friends background too.

the author mentioned that the last chapter of the series didn't run in regular jump but in jump+ (and apologized for that)

so the last chapter to run in regular jump literally ended in a clfifhanger

that's basically canned

Zweizer

Banned
Here you go:

SUPER SUPER SUPER NSFW WARNING THIS PAGE HAS DICKS IN MOUTHS AND JIZZ ON TITTIES AND MAYBE BOYISH BUTTHOLES

https://www.lewdgamer.com/2016/07/04/japanese-manga-artist-explores-her-depression-by-going-to-a-lesbian-brothel/

I couldn't find another site with this article, it's the only place I've found it on. Sorry.

You know that's never a problem with me~

Thanks for the link. Just as I thought it was a biographical story. It's pretty tragic, and even more so that she's definitely not the only one to have had to deal with depression in a society that's mostly blind to mental sicknesses.

G.ZZZ I think this video on the downturn of Bleach will kinda explain some stuff for Toriko as well

especially the whole villain thing, protag goals and plot diversity

watch it till the end since a ton of good explanation of stuff are relevant in this Bleach video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

I began looking at the prior Toriko volumes and the more recent ones to see some difference mention in this video

Peco

It was good but deals with issues of self-hatred, depression, food dependency, self mutilation (cutting one's self) and likely other things. It does seem like the manga will go in on Japan's societal ignoring of mental health issues, and how much they truley destroy someone if not treated.
65IOAx5.png

X0l2WK1.png

That font choice though. That's painful too.

You know that's never a problem with me~

Thanks for the link. Just as I thought it was a biographical story. It's pretty tragic, and even more so that she's definitely the only one to have had to deal with depression in a society that's mostly blind to mental sicknesses.

That was more of a warning for others

Fbh

Gold Member
So now that bleach is over.
Any recommendations for a good action focused manga? Just looking for some good battles, likable characters and hopefully good art.
Oh and I also have little tolerance for extreme fan service like giant breasts, constant nudes and cleavage shots, Stuff like Fairy Tail is pretty close to the limit and that seems pretty mild compared to other mangas

From the top of my head I've read:
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Berserk, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Hunter X, SS The lost Canvas, One Punch Man, D.Gray Man, The Breaker (+ new waves, though that one was kinda bad), Shingeki no Kyojin, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia,, Gantz, Shaman King, probably some others I don't remember right now.

Waiting for the second seaso of The seven deadly sins so I'm not interested in the manga and I'm also going through Jojo in anime form so also no interest in the manga for now

Any recommendations for a good action focused manga? Just looking for some good battles, likable characters and hopefully good art.
Oh and I also have little tolerance for extreme fan service like giant breasts, constant nudes and cleavage shots, Stuff like Fairy Tail is pretty close to the limit and that seems pretty mild compared to other mangas

Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Berserk, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Hunter X, SS The lost Canvas, One Punch Man, D.Gray Man, The Breaker (+ new waves, though that one was kinda bad), Shingeki no Kyojin, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia,, Gantz, Shaman King, probably some others I don't remember right now.

Waiting for the second seaso of The seven deadly sins so I'm not interested in the manga and I'm also going through Jojo in anime form so also no interest in the manga for now

Black Lagoon
Battle Royale
Golden Kamui
Helck
Keyman
Yumekui Merry

phaze

Wow someone who read Lost Canvas 🙆
Out of more popular ones you seem to be missing Tokyo Ghoul and it's a series I enjoy a lot so obv I'd reccomend trying out that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 1
Fuck this is sad. Her family seem to be uninformed people who thinks that depression is just a mental issue that can be cured with guts or something similar. But then her doctor said too. 167cm, and her weight is only 38kg!?
And she got fired from her job too. For supervisor, the only things that matter are that the employee is not late and not leaving early. If she was in proper medication, this whole scenario could be avoided.

This is depressing...

Edit: and wow, that email from her family...

Ascheroth

Kingdom
Soul Eater... though that does have some fanservice, but I don't remember how much.
Yumekui Merry
World Trigger: starts out slow, but has great strategic battles

and for some non-manga,
The God of Highschool: it's essentially non-stop action with amazing style and lots of fun characters. The story escalates pretty quickly and is all kinds of crazy, but it's a damn fun read.
Just look at this, and that's not even very far in.

Edit: Seconding Kongou Banchou. Awesome stuff.

Kongou Banchou, from the mangka of The Seven Deadly Sins. Much less fanservicy compared to that, since most of the characters are dudes though there still is some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom