• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

So Demi-chan is getting an anime and I vomited in my mouth at the fucking art for it.

Jesus Christ, way to take a great and unique art style and butcher it to look as generic as possible.

mfw A-1 pictures adapting the anime
1ded.jpg

If it actually stays not fan service that could be fairly interesting

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary is very fanservice laden, but the way it used monster abilities/transformation as an allegory to puberty is much more interesting.
(This reply directed to anyone who had interest in Demi-chan, but haven't read it yet. I recommend both of them for different reason despite the thematic similarity).

Zweizer

Banned
whoa, this is ending? Does that leave Golgo as the longest-running manga now?

Golgo 13 has been the longest-running manga since a while.

Dokaben's still above Golgo 13.

Dokaben started in 1972, didn't it? That's 4 years later than Golgo 13.

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary is very fanservice laden, but the way it used monster abilities/transformation as an allegory to puberty is much more interesting.
(This reply directed to anyone who had interest in Demi-chan, but haven't read it yet. I recommend both of them for different reason despite the thematic similarity).

Plus it's got a cyclop! That automatically nets it AHB's approval seal.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch406

Being friends with Tomo is tough.

Uchi no Musume ni Te o Dasu na! - Oyako Heroine Funtousu ch15

The family has been reunited at last.

L.O.R.D

Fairy Tail 500

and what we have here,juvia is not dead after all,we some people still fall for it?
cool new power up for grey.

Lain

Sweetness and Lightning volume 1
RGZb.jpg

The title didn't lie, this first volume was pretty damn sweet and hits the feels just like Lightning.
Tsumugi is really cute, prof Inuzuka is a bit of a mess initially I'd say but it's pretty damn cool to see how he puts some serious effort for his daughter, Kotori... well Kotori is a bit silly and on the funny side, though those covers where she's eating stuff look really appetizing.
I guess in a way this is a cooking manga? I mean, it's the act of cooking and eating together that brought Kotori into Inuzuka and Tsumugi's life and it's an aspect always present.
Art wise it looks pretty good with some nice character art.
Given I enjoy single parents raising their kid stories like My Girl, this fits me perfectly well.
Thumbs up for the edition too.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Golden Kamuy ch. 66

The bear snatching that dude through the window was straight outta some horror film, goddamn.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ugh I need to stop going to Mal late at night to find the names of manga i have forgotten. This time its 2 zombie mangas. Heres an unedited and and uncut version of what happened from my copied text from last night.

"So yeah, Infection is the Highschool of the dead wannabe but couldnt be edgy enough, and other manga whos name i mixed is called Manhole, its a story about cops trying to stop wesker from implanting parasites into people which replace their eyes, its written by a guy name Tsutsui Tesuya, which seems familiar."

mdubs

Banned
Promised Neverland 05 - Mom be playing chess while Emma and Norman be playing checkers.

Red Sprite 02 - I didn't mind this chapter - though it seems like things are a little bit too easy for him. It'll be interesting if the tables get turned next chapter. I think this will get picked up thought.

Love Rush 03 - This was ok. I laughed at the succubus part, but I liked last week's chapter more. Kokoro is cool though, don't mind her character at all.

My Hero Academia 105 - More character development from Deku - I like that he is continually introspective about how to get better, and this was a nice callback to where the series has been so far.

Seraph of the End 49

First the cover of WSJ for Seraph is just amazing
NwjQwzA.jpg

As for the chapters it just keep getting better and better. So many questions!!!
Red Sprite 2
That color page soooo good!
6NG5XLn.png

Man I really hope this continues! It's sooooooooo good and exactly what I like in a manga.
The way the MC comes down from the sky like a badass and all brings out the inner kid in me. I love these stories!

Love Rush 3

I won't be sad if they don't keep this, it's not my style of read.

upandaway

Promised Neverland 5

My guess stays what it always was, their only real way out of this is killing Mama. I'm guessing the other adult is a demon? Either way, they still have a chance of outwitting them, but they'll probably have to physically do something to Mama eventually.

Also gonna have to say that if the other adult is a demon, then I wouldn't be surprised if the baby is too. Considering the brought the baby before schedule, I doubt she has that kind of influence. If she did, she'd ship the kids before schedule instead.
Maybe I'm wrong but something is off about the baby I think.

Curious to see where this goes now that it's 100% confirmed that the setting is our real world. I feel like mystery manga (especially Jump ones) tend to fall apart when they try to connect to reality, versus a fantasy setting, around when the mysteries start getting solved and they don't live up to expectations. It needs really good writing to pull off, so it's kinda ballsy of the writer to "announce" that it's the real world straight from the start, heh.

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 500

I thought Grey already knew? Oh well.
Juvia not dead? SHOCKING!

Tomo-chan 406

So Jun hat a horrible childhood and just went insane to protect himself.
Kinda like Guts.

cntr

Banned
Red Sprite 2

I appreciate that the series didn't bother making the leader look benevolent or stretch out the quiet girl's rescue.

Arabesque

World Trigger 156

RIP Osamu. You did good work, but never stood a chance.

Ouji and Chika pulled off some genuinely great moves this chapter, and it is interesting seeing how much Chika had grown thus far to get over her crippling fear of shooting people.

Still, Ouji went on full ruthless there

Yikes

I'd like to see what the after match commentary will be in regards to Chika, the secret should be out in the open now.

Seraph of the End 49

First the cover of WSJ for Seraph is just amazing
NwjQwzA.jpg

The Seraph covers always have great colour schemes, that's for sure. I'm glad we get them now more often.

I also like how Viz screwed up and put chapter 1 on Red Sprite haha

Fairy Tail 500

I thought Grey already knew? Oh well.
Juvia not dead? SHOCKING!

Whaaaaa

You mean Juvia lives? Shocking, I thought she'd be dead. Like, she got such a touching farewell scene and everything. Like Erza did when she seen her own funeral, or Gajeel with Levy seeing him dragged to the underworld, or Ultear after she became an old women or ...

The point I'm getting at is that Hiro is cheap as hell, lol dude can't brig himself to kill anyone important without backing off

Promised Neverland 5

My guess stays what it always was, their only real way out of this is killing Mama. I'm guessing the other adult is a demon? Either way, they still have a chance of outwitting them, but they'll probably have to physically do something to Mama eventually.

Also gonna have to say that if the other adult is a demon, then I wouldn't be surprised if the baby is too. Considering the brought the baby before schedule, I doubt she has that kind of influence. If she did, she'd ship the kids before schedule instead.
Maybe I'm wrong but something is off about the baby I think.

Curious to see where this goes now that it's 100% confirmed that the setting is our real world. I feel like mystery manga (especially Jump ones) tend to fall apart when they try to connect to reality, versus a fantasy setting, around when the mysteries start getting solved and they don't live up to expectations. It needs really good writing to pull off, so it's kinda ballsy of the writer to "announce" that it's the real world straight from the start, heh.

I don't think it's possible to do anything physical to Mama at this stage, since 1) the demons in charge of shipment and managing the merch will figure out something having gone wrong eventually, if not very quickly and 2) I feel that Mama being possibly a former child means she's also gotten the same level of "training" the 3 did, if not more so to manage and watch over different generations of children for possibly over 2 decades. Outsmarting her is one thing, but killing her is another.

The point about the new arrivals being demons is interesting, but I feel the kid is human, if only because it would be odd to have a young demon disguised and expecting them to remain in control and not eat the kids, especially after seeing the few demons we meet already.

The new sister is probably also a grown up child working for the demons, like Mama is. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this is a wide scale operation with a lot of "farms" across the country. Wherever they are.

cntr

Banned
Red Sprite 02 - I didn't mind this chapter - though it seems like things are a little bit too easy for him. It'll be interesting if the tables get turned next chapter. I think this will get picked up thought.
You could say he isn't meeting any...

resistance.

My Hero Academia 105 - More character development from Deku - I like that he is continually introspective about how to get better, and this was a nice callback to where the series has been so far.
The constant character development is great, especially Deku.

upandaway

Promised Neverland

I don't think it's possible to do anything physical to Mama at this stage, since 1) the demons in charge of shipment and managing the merch will figure out something having gone wrong eventually, if not very quickly and 2) I feel that Mama being possibly a former child means she's also gotten the same level of "training" the 3 did, if not more so to manage and watch over different generations of children for possibly over 2 decades. Outsmarting her is one thing, but killing her is another.

The point about the new arrivals being demons is interesting, but I feel the kid is human, if only because it would be odd to have a young demon disguised and expecting them to remain in control and not eat the kids, especially after seeing the few demons we meet already.

The new sister is probably also a grown up child working for the demons, like Mama is. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this is a wide scale operation with a lot of "farms" across the country. Wherever they are.
The second they're going to escape everyone will know about it anyways regardless of whether they outwitted Mama or done anything to her. And even if not, I'm guessing the demons will kill Mama instead, either way she's not making it out of this alive. I admit I'm kind of relying on the trope of these sorts of series killing a character with a lot of background early on but only revealing the background much later, and Mama's sort of setup for that.

Dunno about the demons, I just feel like Mama would probably have an easier time enlisting a lowly demon than getting another baby on short notice, for an internal issue. I guess both the sister and the baby could be from another farm and not true new stock.

mdubs

Banned
Listening to the Shonen Jump podcast, I can really see Love Rush getting picked up as well as Red Sprite. Love Rush sounds like it fits the place that Nisekoi had from their perspective - it plays with some of the harem tropes (ie. his quick confession), and it takes advantage as the Jump version of the sort of monster girls genre which is selling well here. Addtionally, Red Sprite has a unique setting going for it so I think they'll keep that as well.

You could say he isn't meeting any...

resistance.

giphy.gif

upandaway

I don't know about Red Sprite. I agree with the dude earlier saying it didn't leave any hook for the rest of the story, all the mystery was dealt with in ch1. It could still get momentum by introducing stuff in latter chapters but it seems ch2 was the same deal.

Then again with how Jump is right now it should be a lot easier to get a reader base going.

Kieli

Toriko: I really enjoyed this chapter. Midora's full course meal was surprising in how earnest it was and a pleasant subversion of what I expected (very high level capture monsters).

Promised Neverland: I think the other adult is human rather than a demon in disguise. I highly doubt this is the only farm in the world. It makes you wonder if the ending to this manga is that Emma eventually becomes a "mom" for the next generation because she survived the game.

Soma: First enjoyable chapter in quite a well. I like the prep that goes on between shokugekis, but I always groan at ominous comments like, "The way he is now, he'll lose."

Promised Neverland: I think the other adult is human rather than a demon in disguise. I highly doubt this is the only farm in the world. It makes you wonder if the ending to this manga is that Emma eventually becomes a "mom" for the next generation because she survived the game.

Thats so fucking dark I can't even fathom Jump letting that happen

tomo 403 - 406

Lol at tomo and dad hiding behind Jun because of Tomom.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 8

A tire monster? Do cars even exist in this universe? Where would tires come from?

Boogiepop

Oh wow, in regards to Kochikame ending. That certainly is one hell of a run. Wonder if any of the other super long running series will overtake that 200 volume mark before they finally end as well?

Actually, on that topic, how is Kochikame? It's a gag manga, right? So that should at least help a lot with keeping things fresh, since it's probably the best genre in terms of running forever. But yeah, I don't think I've ever really heard anyone actually discuss it. But for it to run THAT long, I'd have to imagine there's at least something there, yeah?

And similarly, how is the actual manga for Golgo 13? I really liked the anime from the late 2000s, and felt like it did a really good job of mixing things up throughout. There is of course the James Bond style super machismo, but a lot of the time it's also about how he'll actually pull it off, or seeing a police officer realize he's fallen into his trap when trying to nail him, etc. Does that apply to the manga as well, or is it more like a good chunk of the older movie, where he's just gunning down people left and right and having stoic sex with busty women, etc? And for that matter, since it had a lot of source material to pull from, did the anime (series) pull a kind of "best of" thing, or is there still a lot of great stuff throughout? It's a series I've been curious about (largely because of the anime), but the length of the thing is certainly intimidating.

Oh wow, in regards to Kochikame ending. That certainly is one hell of a run. Wonder if any of the other super long running series will overtake that 200 volume mark before they finally end as well?

Actually, on that topic, how is Kochikame? It's a gag manga, right? So that should at least help a lot with keeping things fresh, since it's probably the best genre in terms of running forever. But yeah, I don't think I've ever really heard anyone actually discuss it. But for it to run THAT long, I'd have to imagine there's at least something there, yeah?

And similarly, how is the actual manga for Golgo 13? I really liked the anime from the late 2000s, and felt like it did a really good job of mixing things up throughout. There is of course the James Bond style super machismo, but a lot of the time it's also about how he'll actually pull it off, or seeing a police officer realize he's fallen into his trap when trying to nail him, etc. Does that apply to the manga as well, or is it more like a good chunk of the older movie, where he's just gunning down people left and right and having stoic sex with busty women, etc? And for that matter, since it had a lot of source material to pull from, did the anime (series) pull a kind of "best of" thing, or is there still a lot of great stuff throughout? It's a series I've been curious about (largely because of the anime), but the length of the thing is certainly intimidating.

I severely doubt there are any ongoing or complete translations for Kochikame and Golgo 13.

Dokaben or Golgo 13 will lap Kochikame in a few years.

Boogiepop

I severely doubt there are any ongoing or complete translations for Kochikame and Golgo 13.

Dokaben or Golgo 13 will lap Kochikame in a few years.

I was actually wondering in regards to picking up the books to read through myself (I have no problem reading Japanese, and have done the same with plenty of series in the past, including all of Jojo's for something with semi-comparable (though still much shorter) length). Which would be a price/storage issue of course, but it's something I've mentally toyed with, though only slightly since as I said, I haven't actually heard much of substance about the series.

But yeah, that could certainly be an issue in regards to getting opinions on the matter, now that you mention it. I really should look into Japanese message boards or something for questions like this, but I've always been too worried about the quality of my actual Japanese writing skills...

Edit: Yeah, those two are close, so it's definitely possible, but the mangaka are noticeably older than the one for Kochikame...

Look at the character designs for Working, Gate, SAO, Magi, and so on.

The characters all share this distinct round facial design that I dislike. I prefer something sharper and more real-to-life.

A lot of animation character designers use a more rounded style because curves are easier to animate than angles. The more angular and jagged a character is, and the greater number of lines and overall complexity it consists of, the harder it is going to be to simply draw the character on model, let alone make it move. Naturally most (good) animation designers are going to prioritize designs that are ideal for animation.

At any rate, A-1 doesn't really have a core team who works on all/most of their anime, so while they have people who regularly work with them such as Toshifumi Akai (Magi, Granblue Fantasy) they cannot be said to have a comprehensive "house style". I'll just post four images from various recent A-1 anime that I believe show the range they have.

Shonen Jump 9/5 Impressions

Seraph of the End

This certainly took a direction I wasn't expecting, this series really better have a damn good explanation for all the insanity thats happening since it'll live or die by it. We had a talk yesterday about the main cast taking too long to get strong but not only is the Seraph main cast still comically weak compared to all other forces, we just introduced another force seemingly stronger then all the ones we've seen so far.

One Piece

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more pirates attempt to hide their face so that the navy won't recognize them when they appear as they actually do. Love Choppers and Nami's ingenuity to take advantage of their bad situations to gain an advantage. I'm really not sure how this arc plays out since a confrontation with big mom is inevitable and Luffy is really limited with the crew he brought.

Promised Neverland

Fuck this series is so good, I was starting to get worried when Emma had her "I need power to fight" monologue but they quickly brought it back to logic and tactics and not teasing some shonen power up. The situation seems hopeless the pay off for this will be glorious.

Shokugeki no Soma

Isn't Soma already gonna be expelled if he fails how exactly can he get Hayama to agree to a Shokugeki for his 9th seat since there isn't much he could offer that Hayama would want. Either way this series is always at its best when the characters are interacting and attempting to figure out a way to prep a meal so overall very enjoyable chapter.

Red Sprite

I'm guessing the mangaka is taking to heart the lesson he learned from his last cancelled series. I haven't read iron knight or whatever it was called but the series seems to be going lightning (pun intended) quick. I'm still really enjoying this and hope Viz picks it up for an extended run.

Toriko

Midora truly has been gone for too long and shockingly didn't get a jobber spot with a really clever subversion to beat robo joie.

My Hero Academia

Another for the harem? Another for the harem. Deku continues to be such a likeable lead willing to save someone he knows is a fake despite the risks to his chances of passing. I do hope this battle royale speeds up a little I know its still early but outside of tornado guy it feels like nothings happened.

Love Rush

Oh god fuck this

We're just gonna slowly introduce a harem aren't we? *sigh* any promise of this being interesting after the second chapter confession has gone into the dumpster. At least of the harem girls the super shy and prude succubus is fairly clever which maybe other monster girl harem series have done but since I don't read them its new for me :X

Also the whole kissu = married thing is awful, so now not only do we have an excuse for all manner of chicks to love our loser lead, but a reason for him not to kiss any of them. Fuck this so hard

Black Clover

So with the notion someone among the captains is a traitor I imagine its this jester guy but he seems too obvious a villain. At the same time the story is setting it up so well, he talks about how this is all for the kingdom which could be his twisted reason for being a rebel, his forces are depicted as the strongest and most popular so their dissention would create a rift, and Yuno is on their team so we can get Asta vs Yuno. I can't tell if this is a red herring/thinking too much into it but it makes so much sense from a plot structure sense.

Blue Exorcist

Cute chapter between the girls having a sleep over, though the ending kinda annoys me since I was hoping we'd buried this romance subplot for awhile but it seems now like it'll be focused on for a bit. I wonder if Shiemi's mother made a deal to keep her alive hence all the protection and comments about "I want my daughter to live a happy/normal life" might have been foreshadowing this reveal assuming it happens next chapter.

Arabesque

Look at the character designs for Working, Gate, SAO, Magi, and so on.

The characters all share this distinct round facial design that I dislike. I prefer something sharper and more real-to-life.

At first, the blobby comment made me think that you didn't like Masayoshi Tanaka's designs (which fair enough, I love his aesthetic, but taste and all).

But the shows you mentioned just threw me on a loop. Aside from SAO and Working, none of them share the same designer and aside from looking cute-ish. Which isn't a style exclusive to A-1.

Because A-1 doesn't really have a signature style.

Edit: ninja'd by a more comprehensive and better post

Promised Neverland

The second they're going to escape everyone will know about it anyways regardless of whether they outwitted Mama or done anything to her. And even if not, I'm guessing the demons will kill Mama instead, either way she's not making it out of this alive. I admit I'm kind of relying on the trope of these sorts of series killing a character with a lot of background early on but only revealing the background much later, and Mama's sort of setup for that.

Dunno about the demons, I just feel like Mama would probably have an easier time enlisting a lowly demon than getting another baby on short notice, for an internal issue. I guess both the sister and the baby could be from another farm and not true new stock.

The tropes of the genre would lead to her dying now, the kids escaping and possibly finding themselves at the farm where Mom grew up in, yeah. Though I guess the issue becomes of the timing of the escape and when Mama exactly goes back to report everyday, if she does so on regular intervals and doesn't just get in touch with the Demons only on delivery day.

I guess the best analogy I see is that since this is close to being a farm, Mama would be something like the farmer, the demons the delivery guys and while they are concerned with the quality of the meat and how the stock is raised, they don't really care of the daily going on's and what trouble that might happen during the feeding and raising. They only want to see the meat ready to go on delivery day in its proper condition. So asking for their help when this is a matter farmers should deal with is sort of out of that image, I feel.

But I guess it is also possible she would be recruiting some poor demon who's out of a job and can only get these sort of jobs. The story could go down the direction too, at this point.

Also, I might have figured out what (and where) the trackers might be.
They might be "seeds" that the kids are being fed, and on delivery day they grow out of their stomachs into the plants we seen in the first chapter twist.

Battle Rabbits Vol.01

guy will never forget the day his father died before him until he gets struck by lightning, gains rabbit ears and start fighting orges

it's pretty much a typical supernatural shounen series, though pretty decently enjoyable since the lead has confidence, something he's aiming for, a regular cast of amusing supporting characters and we already got a training arc to get going with

World Trigger 156

I guess that's another on the list of Osamu deaths. This is definitely the key match that will make them realize why Hyuse is necessary for their team.

Arabesque

World Trigger 156

I guess that's another on the list of Osamu deaths. This is definitely the key match that will make them realize why Hyuse is necessary for their team.

I feel that they did, given the trouble they had went through to convince the higher ups to let him join.

More than anything, the match does confirm Osamu did get much better in being an assist to the team, if still only being an average fighter. I'm glad Ashihara had him at least lose to a higher ranked fighter this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom