• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Interesting. I didn't know about this, and up until now thought the representation of gay people in Chinese media were mostly limited to novels and webcomics. Hopefully this means that the country is getting more open towards gay rights.
There's a fairly brief history as to why something like this managed to get greenlit, filmed, cut, and make it to airing.

In 2015 one of the most popular dramas of the year was Nirvana in Fire, which was adapted from a novel. The novel had some undertones between the two main characters that was sort of wiped out in the drama adaptation, but there was still a strong "brotherly relationship" portrayal in the drama which obviously did nothing to hide that hey some stuff is going on. Part of the success of this drama is likely due to the intense female fans.

Early in 2016, a cheap web drama called Go Princess Go became wildly popular. The main character was a playboy dude who fell in a pool and woke up in the body of a crown princess (by marriage) back in the ancient Chinese past. The show was super budget and kitschy, and the idea behind the stories and plot of the show was a man exploring being a woman, becoming a woman, and love for another dude. It sort of ended with a gay pairing.

At this point Chinese production companies were like, oh, so this stuff can make moolah, so they started hunting for gay novels/webcomics etc. Love is More Than a Word was kind of greenlit and produced all this year, with such a quick release date too, so someone's trying to strike the iron while it is hot.

I'm not sure if this should be taken as a sign that the country is getting more open towards gay rights.

[Fugo]

Hajime no Ippo

Oh My God
This could open a very interesting arc!

Toriko

HOLY ****!!

Damn! Now it's Toriko's turn to save Midora! Everything felt so much like Hokuto no Ken/FotNS: the brothers "reveal", the manly tears, and how Toriko phased through Acacia's attack seemed like a clear reference to the Musou Tensei

Also, Gourmet Luck's nature pretty much confirmed, it's benevolent spirits that help you, that's how Midora could copy Gourmet Luck and Starjun eat it. They're usually invisible but what Star passed to Toriko was so strong and concentrated that became visible

R.I.P Starjun
Farewell, Red Demon

Now Toriko should be on similar ground with Neocacia, he went under the same "sequence". And Blue and White onis are still sealed, with White playing around with Acacia's hand that he ripped off several chapters ago. Maybe this is not the final arc afterall!

Zweizer

Banned
There's a fairly brief history as to why something like this managed to get greenlit, filmed, cut, and make it to airing.

In 2015 one of the most popular dramas of the year was Nirvana in Fire, which was adapted from a novel. The novel had some undertones between the two main characters that was sort of wiped out in the drama adaptation, but there was still a strong "brotherly relationship" portrayal in the drama which obviously did nothing to hide that hey some stuff is going on. Part of the success of this drama is likely due to the intense female fans.

Early in 2016, a cheap web drama called Go Princess Go became wildly popular. The main character was a playboy dude who fell in a pool and woke up in the body of a crown princess (by marriage) back in the ancient Chinese past. The show was super budget and kitschy, and the idea behind the stories and plot of the show was a man exploring being a woman, becoming a woman, and love for another dude. It sort of ended with a gay pairing.

At this point Chinese production companies were like, oh, so this stuff can make moolah, so they started hunting for gay novels/webcomics etc. Love is More Than a Word was kind of greenlit and produced all this year, with such a quick release date too, so someone's trying to strike the iron while it is hot.

I'm not sure if this should be taken as a sign that the country is getting more open towards gay rights.

Thanks for the explanation. While I don't expect the government to improve the situation, surely the fact that they're popular might mean that the population as a whole is more open towards gay people? Of course it's way too optimistic to take a few series as a sign of improvement, but I do hope it'll at least help acceptance as more series featuring gay characters in a positive light come along.

Plus, Their Story might get an adaptation one day at least.

You're finally willing to open this can of worms lol?

I thought it needed some levity.

Wait, shit, I mixed that up with labias again didn't I?

I approve!

Stop approving of my destructive lifestyle choices

Thanks for calling my personal views of something childish! Wow! Just thank you so much! I won't forget that you said that to me.

Griffith has done alotta stuff to anger me and
raping Caska and destroying his own group
is at the high of list. I mentioned Sasuke because Griffith does remind me of Sasuke in a way. Are you gonna punch me in the face for saying that? This is quite literally the first damn time I ever even compared something from Naruto to Berserk. And yes, I do understand that Berserk isn't for children. I do understand that. That doesn't mean Berserk isn't a flawed manga. Like I said, it's fight scenes are great and its awkward karma system is an emotional rollercoaster for me. But I do have problems with the manga. My MAIN problem with this manga is the blatant bad guy pattern. It's only awesome until it starts getting old and obvious.

I said they were child-like, which they are; they were naive and didn't understand what the author was attempting to go for. That's not a pejorative or an insult against you, it's just stating what it is. You obviously aren't connecting certain dots that go below a surface level understanding of the work. Which is fine. But it's hard to make judgment calls about something and point out what you perceive as flaws if you don't really get what's happening on any sort of deeper level. People discussing against that or pointing that out to you aren't attacking you, they're just pointing it out. An opinion is not an infallible grenade you toss into a discussion and then cover your ears and duck your head when it's out there; if the basis and support of your opinion is factually incorrect or shallow or isn't defended well than it can be a poorly thought out or wrong opinion. I can't say in my opinion Griffith gets no characterization so he's a shallow villain, I would literally be wrong for having that opinion because there is evidence and proof to the contrary.

So no, nobody is going to punch you in your face for having the opinion that Sasuke and Griffith are similar because we're not fucking children here. We'll point out that it's pretty bad though, because it is. Shengar states it much better down below here:

There's vast difference between Kishimoto's Sasuke and Miura's Griffith. Honestly I never find any similarities between the character besides them being "good lookers with awful personality". There haven't a single instance where I thought Griffith horrible doing portrayed as something good unironically as compared to Sasuke to the eyes of the reader.

OniBarubary have said it that Griffith is something that would you like to call irony. But the irony isn't placed on the character itself but the world surrounding it. Miura does it to provoke anger and draw ire not only towards Griffith, but to show how it is easy to deceive the ignorant masses with half-perceived good deeds.

Miura knows what he writes and the kind of story he want to tell to his reader. Kishimoto doesn't or at least lost his vision midway. I couldn't think anyone with normal moral compass would like Griffith as a character unironically or as he was perceived in the world of the story. Meanwhile Sasuke have a lot of fans who like him as he is, not knowing how horrible his personality in reality.

In my observation, MediKing made the comparison because he doesn't know things better, yet. It's understandable and not something worth to get really upset for. Everybody have their moment of comparing everything to Dragonball or discussing which character that Saitama can't beat.

-and for the record, dramatic irony is the irony we are both talking about.

I'm annoyed by Naruto comparisons because it's not just this Berserk discussion, but it often poisons the well of manga like MHA or anything really with the frequency that people feel it needs to be trotted out (such as a couple people on another website who compared Promised Neverland to Naruto?) by bringing the level of discourse to that level. One where the comparisons do not have any real sort of relevance to the point or discussion.

It's understandable that a lot of people would reference or have their early knowledge of stuff be their leaping off point, just like Shengar says it was for a lot a of people with Dragonball Z and other mangame.

I just get super tired of seeing it all the time.

Continue to post and read manga and never NOT post your opinions. But just...don't take offense if people are like "Nah B" I get told that all the time and I read Zweizer smut so it's not like I'm some kingpin of the manga world.

cntr

Banned
gotta love how Deku can save the "moody" character from angst within 30 chapters and turn him into a guy that's legitimately great

One Piece 839

Nice to see Sanji's family are literal Nazis. Also cloning Virgo so that he can break Sanji's leg when he gets uppity

I always assumed Zeff was fairly high up in the strength ladder as a New World pirate that made a name for himself then came back to settle down. Mihawk seemed to respect him.

Kay, so i think Griffith is one of the greatest villains in anything for a couple of reasons. 1, they do a good job humanizing the shit out of him before this, and that makes the betrayal way more powerful. Honestly, it's not that tough to see how the train of events led him to that point. It's just no one thought he'd go through with it because you wouldn't go through with it. 2. I am 95% sure I have figured out what his real plan is, and the real way he has influenced the story to grasp at his end goal. And that end goal is a mix of ingenious and frightening in its utter simplicity. I want to go on, but you are most certainly not at that point yet.

Overall, my feeling on Griffith can be summed up in violent seizing as I convulse from rage on the floor. Fuck Griffith.

Well hell, spoiler that shit so I can read it. Berserk will never end and I'm tired of waiting so I can marathon it only to see three chapters were released.

bobohoro

One Piece 839

Every shonen manga needs their nazi group.
Great chapter, can't wait for Sanji to stomp them, hard. And I guess there will be a nice beatdown for his sister as well along the way, would love for Nico Robin to get a great fight again.
Overall, I like the direction this is heading.

Hajime No Ippo 1152

This would have been a good arc...500 chapters ago.

Fairy Tail 501

Oh look-y here, another one bites the dust. No way! Tell me it ain't so!
And that plan of Brandish was great.
This shit is dumb.

LeleSocho

Banned
One Piece 839

Nice to see Sanji's family are literal Nazis. Also cloning Virgo so that he can break Sanji's leg when he gets uppity

I always assumed Zeff was fairly high up in the strength ladder as a New World pirate that made a name for himself then came back to settle down. Mihawk seemed to respect him.

R7cs8mB.jpg

For the Zeff thing: Since i guess nobody can teleport where he is to save him he will manage to repel the attack alone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Speaking of Naruto, I was chuckling the other day about how ridiculous the Sage Mode powerup was. Dude went from being reasonably powerful to better-than-Kage level in like 10 chapters.

Mediking

I said they were child-like, which they are; they were naive and didn't understand what the author was attempting to go for. That's not a pejorative or an insult against you, it's just stating what it is. You obviously aren't connecting certain dots that go below a surface level understanding of the work. Which is fine. But it's hard to make judgment calls about something and point out what you perceive as flaws if you don't really get what's happening on any sort of deeper level. People discussing against that or pointing that out to you aren't attacking you, they're just pointing it out. An opinion is not an infallible grenade you toss into a discussion and then cover your ears and duck your head when it's out there; if the basis and support of your opinion is factually incorrect or shallow or isn't defended well than it can be a poorly thought out or wrong opinion. I can't say in my opinion Griffith gets no characterization so he's a shallow villain, I would literally be wrong for having that opinion because there is evidence and proof to the contrary.

So no, nobody is going to punch you in your face for having the opinion that Sasuke and Griffith are similar because we're not fucking children here. We'll point out that it's pretty bad though, because it is. Shengar states it much better down below here:

-and for the record, dramatic irony is the irony we are both talking about.

I'm annoyed by Naruto comparisons because it's not just this Berserk discussion, but it often poisons the well of manga like MHA or anything really with the frequency that people feel it needs to be trotted out (such as a couple people on another website who compared Promised Neverland to Naruto?) by bringing the level of discourse to that level. One where the comparisons do not have any real sort of relevance to the point or discussion.

It's understandable that a lot of people would reference or have their early knowledge of stuff be their leaping off point, just like Shengar says it was for a lot a of people with Dragonball Z and other mangame.

I just get super tired of seeing it all the time.

Continue to post and read manga and never NOT post your opinions. But just...don't take offense if people are like "Nah B" I get told that all the time and I read Zweizer smut so it's not like I'm some kingpin of the manga world.

tumblr_nprml3WJcX1qj5jqso1_500.gif

Yeah, yeah. I get it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure he's gonna lose and they'll blame it on compromising his ideals or some shit.

One Piece 839

Wow his bros are..... I have a feeling though Reiju might do something evil seeing as how she is not commenting but instead only analyzing the situation

Toriko

it is suppose to be sad but lol at the way it is done... overly spectacular

Note for OP and Toriko.... it seems Jump is putting easter eggs for that Kochikame tribute on everything

OP cover and Toriko's eyebrows

[Fugo];216892191 said:
Hajime no Ippo

Oh My God
This could open a very interesting arc!

Toriko

HOLY ****!!

Damn! Now it's Toriko's turn to save Midora! Everything felt so much like Hokuto no Ken/FotNS: the brothers "reveal", the manly tears, and how Toriko phased through Acacia's attack seemed like a clear reference to the Musou Tensei

Also, Gourmet Luck's nature pretty much confirmed, it's benevolent spirits that help you, that's how Midora could copy Gourmet Luck and Starjun eat it. They're usually invisible but what Star passed to Toriko was so strong and concentrated that became visible

R.I.P Starjun
Farewell, Red Demon

Now Toriko should be on similar ground with Neocacia, he went under the same "sequence". And Blue and White onis are still sealed, with White playing around with Acacia's hand that he ripped off several chapters ago. Maybe this is not the final arc afterall!

maybe you are right since Red said it is just the beginning or something

maybe that or it is just the ending talk getting to us

we will see *fingers crossed

I can't with Ippo anymore. This should have happened before he hit the world stage. I don't know if it's a tired trope, but I'm tired of reading this manga thinking my 1 year old will graduate college before it's over.

And you know, I skipped about a 100 chapters of Ippo and I didn't really miss anything. I think I'll do that again if this silly issue isn't taken care of soon. Like, 2-3 chapters soon. I know it won't happen though.

Plus, there's too much (figure it out on your own) crap going on too. Why is it they won't tell him anything?

cntr

Banned
So why is Hajime no Ippo so long, anyway?

Like, Conan is so long because it's a collection of detective vignettes, Jojo is so long because it's a set of 8 different stories in the same continuity, and One Piece is so long because the story really is that long. What did Ippo do to end up so bloody long?

What's funny is we just had one of the best fights of the series and the stuff involving Takamura kinda hating on Ippo now is actually almost the most interesting it's been in 100s of chapters.

pbayne

So why is Hajime no Ippo so long, anyway?

Like, Conan is so long because it's a collection of detective vignettes, Jojo is so long because it's a set of 8 different stories in the same continuity, and One Piece is so long because the story really is that long. What did Ippo do to end up so bloody long?

Well assuming the world title for Ippo is the end goal and he started the manga from zero, it makes sense that its taken such a hell of a long time for Ippo to develop to world class level. So that means following Ippo right from his three round rookie days to his 12 round pro fights. Its been quite a journey honestly. Plus you have to factor in dozens of side characters with their own arcs.

The big problem is that it dosen't really feel like Ippo's personality has changed enough to reflect that progress. He's still wishy-washy, he still doubts himself and he still has low expectations-ie the absolute antitheses of a professional athlete. He has no right to be the under-dog anymore.

Lordy, that griffith discussion was...something.

The big problem is that it dosen't really feel like Ippo's personality has changed enough to reflect that progress. He's still wishy-washy, he still doubts himself and he still has low expectations-ie the absolute antitheses of a professional athlete. He has no right to be the under-dog anymore.

He still mad shy with women?

Been back for a while now, you guys are slacking on the manga reading

Du de, ive (re)read, like, 80% of berserk and 180+ chaps of Baki in the last month. Enuffs enuff

Prison School 228

Finally, the moment we've been waiting for.

Can't believe we endured the vp being weak for so much time, now it's time to kick some Andre ass.

pbayne

He still mad shy with women?

f

lol don't even get me started on that. That's a whole other can of worms.
I read a manga yesterday where the main characters get married in three chapters. 1000 chapters in and Ippo and Kumi are
still fumble fucking around, going absolutely nowhere.

You should check out what they have for the magazine cover and all the different series are doing.

checked out the cover... very cool

would've been nice to see more versions of the character by other authors

Shokugeki no Soma 183

so he got the meat to not stink down pat now he needs to find something creative to do to beat Hayama

also called it for Hayama.... again
Toriko whatever

This manga ending at the speed of light.

Also:
vbhGLSC.png

0OR3ylz.png

Kappa

he was going to kill him with love

Eila

Finally got around reading the last couple volumes of Excel Saga. I had them sitting around for like a year. It was odd. It's apparently related to another series of Rikudo called Holy Brownie which I'm never going to read.
It's too bad more people don't know about this series or that the manga has a proper plot and the anime is it's own thing (also fun).

I also agree

still this arc has it's bad points too but anytime we see other people then Luffy and his group (Nami, Chopper, Carrot) it gets back into top gear

TheFlow

Banned
I mean, it's technically right since Dressrosa was technically the weakest arc till now.
Am I in a weird time zone where OP goes straight from dressrosa to cake island? But I think dressroasa was a way better arc than punk hazard for sure and I would argue it was better than the whole fishman thing too.

I'm not saying Dressrosa was bad, its just not as good as the other big arcs except maybe Thriller Bark.

It was a tad slow and a bit too similar to Alabasta for my tastes but it had some really cool moments and never really bored me - not that OP is ever boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom