• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
Dungeon Meshi 1-4
NN0onYH.png

Marsilla so good

upandaway

One Piece

I have to say, Sanji's been getting crapped on and humiliated quite a bit throughout the manga, but never this much in such a short amount of time.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch415

She was already so mature.

Prison School ch228

It took forever, but she's finally back.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch8

Kabaddi is so lewd.

Ayup, a great addition to an already great cast.

One Piece ch839

Can't wait for Sanji to stomp their face in.

The thing about Sasuke is that his motivations and character never really made any sense or have any real impact.

Griffith is a well-written and complicated character. His betrayal makes people foam at the mouth because goddamn. Nobody ever feels like that about Sasuke or any other Naruto character.

DTL feels that way about Sasuke

Mediking

The thing about Sasuke is that his motivations and character never really made any sense or have any real impact.

Griffith is a well-written and complicated character. His betrayal makes people foam at the mouth because goddamn. Nobody ever feels like that about Sasuke or any other Naruto character.

There's nothing complicated about Griffith. He uses people and things to get what he wants. He's a complete and utter monster. The manga keeps portraying him like he's some sort of sacred entity even though he's a monster. That's what I don't get about Berserk. Nobody is hoping that Griffith turns his life around. He's unforgivable!!!!
Sasuke was just a bad loser, the moment he saw Naruto as a rival he wanted anything to gain more power and beat him but he was never a nice guy

Sasuke was never a nice guy?! Did we read the same manga?! Must I bring up the Chunin Examns?!?! Or when he saved Naruto's life when they fought Haku wayyy early in the manga?!

DTL feels that way about Sasuke

So his point still stands

Sasuke was just a bad loser, the moment he saw Naruto as a rival he wanted anything to gain more power and beat him but he was never a nice guy

Being fair he wanted more power to fulfill a bigger goal (which in of itself turned into a garbage plot point) and not necessarily just for Naruto. Naruto was mainly the catalyst for that due to his massive improvements in the short space of time and became an enemy because he started to interfere..

upandaway

There's nothing complicated about Griffith. He uses people and things to get what he wants. He's a complete and utter monster. The manga keeps portraying him like he's some sort of sacred entity even though he's a monster. That's what I don't get about Berserk. Nobody is hoping that Griffith turns his life around. He's unforgivable!!!!
I mean yeah that's intentional, this contradiction is super creepy and really sells the atmosphere that the manga is going for

dani_dc

Griffith was not always a monster, he actually had a very strong human connection with Guts and (to a lesser degree) the Band of Hawks. He didn't just sacrifice the Band of Hawks on a whim, he did so after his entire world collapsed around him, and the reason his world collapse was due to a rash reaction to losing Guts.

As for the reason the manga portraits him as a sacred entity, it's that despite all his actions, people perceived their lives as improved when close to Griffith.

As far everyone in the world is concerned, Griffith is their personal savior. Why would they look at him as anything other than that?

Griffith was not always a monster, he actually had a very strong human connection with Guts and (to a lesser degree) the Band of Hawks. He didn't just sacrifice the Band of Hawks on a whim, he did so after his entire world collapsed around him, and the reason his world collapse was due to a rash reaction to losing Guts.

As for the reason the manga portraits him as a sacred entity, it's that despite all his actions, people perceived their lives as improved when close to Griffith.

As far everyone in the world is concerned, Griffith is their personal savior. Why would they look at him as anything other than that?

Plus in a world where the most powerful entities are called the "God Hand" but yet are the most vile says a lot.

Also
what is known as God in that world is actually the manifestation of all the hardships and suffering.

Can we stop comparing everything and anything to Naruto before I burst a fucking blood vessel?

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro 8

This is officially up there in "Newest series to be fucking hilarious" with Grand Blue and...uh...something else I'm sure.

Desmond

It seems the english translations of Silver Spoon are two weeks behind the Japanese release. I guess I'll track down and read the raws.

TheFlow

Banned
Can we stop comparing everything and anything to Naruto before I burst a fucking blood vessel?

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro 8

This is officially up there in "Newest series to be fucking hilarious" with Grand Blue and...uh...something else I'm sure.

Naruto is just easy to reference and compare. it has a lot of cliches and stuff seen in other mangas.

klaushm

What was that at the cover? Someone passed away?

And that chapter... Damn. Sanji just keeps getting humiliated and put down by treats to his friends. It's going to be good to see them be taken down.

Mediking

I mean yeah that's intentional, this contradiction is super creepy and really sells the atmosphere that the manga is going for

Griffith does a horrible action.... then he gets close up scenes as if he's holy and sacred and pure. Like just what the hell? I can't forgive him at all. I don't care how hard Berserk tries to showcase Griffith like he's above everybody else. He's a destructive monster. And you guys are right. It doesn't help that many people in the manga see him as awesome until he ruins their lives.

You have a very...I don't know any polite way to say this, child-like view of storytelling. I guess basic or naive are better words. That how something is presented is the truth of what that thing is, that there is no deceit or nuance to something. Yes, Griffith is drawn beautifully and shining and beautiful. And you're like "But he isn't any of those things so why does he get drawn that way?!?!?!" which is...the point. He is very specifically drawn as a savior, built up as a wonderful beautiful man and loved by tons of people in direct contrast to the awful things that he had to do to achieve that beautiful form. And it makes the situation so much more tense and dark because we the readers are keenly aware of things that the characters in the manga are not; the people flocking to Griffith and loving him do not know he is a demon, that he colludes with the Godhand and that he inflicted a massacre and betrayal to get there. They just see him as the only safe point of reference in a world that has gone to complete shit. They don't know everything we know. Which is why it's such a messed up situation; we know he's garbage, they do not. Him being drawn beautiful isn't supposed to make us think he's so awesome and good. It's actually being used for the direct opposite effect.

The manga is not a cartoon for children. It's villains aren't ugly caricatures, who rub their hands together and go "Evil evil evil, all day erry day, evil for evil's sake!" and then sandblast an orphan. They are presented as one thing, even visually within the manga, when they are in fact another. It's a very common form of dramatic irony.

Do you see what I'm saying?

The Naruto comparisons make it worse because when your point of reference is something "easy" or common, it removes any nuance from your understanding of the more complicated or better written thing. Like, honestly. There is nothing in common between Sasuke or Griffith on almost a base and fundamental level except for the vague idea of "betrayal" which is so nebulous and unhelpful that by it's very comparison point you are poisoning the well of the conversation.

That's why all the frequent Naruto comparisons drive me nuts because when you compare two things based entirely on surface features that are so vague and generic that it can apply to any number of things that are distinctly dissimilar you are already starting with a false premise and flawed understanding of what you are trying to understand. It does not help anyone, especially not yourself, in understanding.

Also Naruto fucking sucks.

Everyone should read Tsugumomo instead.

You have a very...I don't know any polite way to say this, child-like view of storytelling. I guess basic or naive are better words. That how something is presented is the truth of what that thing is, that there is no deceit or nuance to something. Yes, Griffith is drawn beautifully and shining and beautiful. And you're like "But he isn't any of those things so why does he get drawn that way?!?!?!" which is...the point. He is very specifically drawn as a savior, built up as a wonderful beautiful man and loved by tons of people in direct contrast to the awful things that he had to do to achieve that beautiful form. And it makes the situation so much more tense and dark because we the readers are keenly aware of things that the characters in the manga are not; the people flocking to Griffith and loving him do not know he is a demon, that he colludes with the Godhand and that he inflicted a massacre and betrayal to get there. They just see him as the only safe point of reference in a world that has gone to complete shit. They don't know everything we know. Which is why it's such a messed up situation; we know he's garbage, they do not. Him being drawn beautiful isn't supposed to make us think he's so awesome and good. It's actually being used for the direct opposite effect.

The manga is not a cartoon for children. It's villains aren't ugly caricatures, who rub their hands together and go "Evil evil evil, all day erry day, evil for evil's sake!" and then sandblast an orphan. They are presented as one thing, even visually within the manga, when they are in fact another. It's a very common form of dramatic irony.

The Naruto comparisons make it worse because when your point of reference is something "easy" or common, it removes any nuance from your understanding of the more complicated or better written thing. Like, honestly. There is nothing in common between Sasuke or Griffith on almost a base and fundamental level except for the vague idea of "betrayal" which is so nebulous and unhelpful that by it's very comparison point you are poisoning the well of the conversation.

That's why all the frequent Naruto comparisons drive me nuts because when you compare two things based entirely on surface features that are so vague and generic that it can apply to any number of things that are distinctly dissimilar you are already starting with a false premise and flawed understanding of what you are trying to understand. It does not help anyone, especially not yourself, in understanding.

You're finally willing to open this can of worms lol?

dramatis

I was thinking that FMA actually had a surprisingly diverse cast for a shounen series in a 'fantasy' world compared to other shounen.

The important question here is that the (I think) first ever ancient Chinese gay drama is airing, and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to watch it

Mediking

Thanks for calling my personal views of something childish! Wow! Just thank you so much! I won't forget that you said that to me.

Griffith has done alotta stuff to anger me and
raping Caska and destroying his own group
is at the high of list. I mentioned Sasuke because Griffith does remind me of Sasuke in a way. Are you gonna punch me in the face for saying that? This is quite literally the first damn time I ever even compared something from Naruto to Berserk. And yes, I do understand that Berserk isn't for children. I do understand that. That doesn't mean Berserk isn't a flawed manga. Like I said, it's fight scenes are great and its awkward karma system is an emotional rollercoaster for me. But I do have problems with the manga. My MAIN problem with this manga is the blatant bad guy pattern. It's only awesome until it starts getting old and obvious.

Jintor

I was thinking that FMA actually had a surprisingly diverse cast for a shounen series in a 'fantasy' world compared to other shounen.

well, that's probably because the mangaka gave a shit about other cultures.

I was still a bit iffy on the blatently chinese characters who wander in about halfway through but they work out mostly alright.

cntr

Banned
a lot of the best manga are written by western influenced authors tbh

Fullmetal Alchmest, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, My Hero Academia...

dramatis

Shut down the you know what _____stream, please. That's not allowed.

well, that's probably because the mangaka gave a shit about other cultures.

I was still a bit iffy on the blatently chinese characters who wander in about halfway through but they work out mostly alright.
Chinese characters are going to have the stereotypical "Chinese look" in JP entertainment forever. Although from the beginning it was pretty obvious a place called Xing would cough up the Chinese-types.

But I think what ended up interesting I guess is that it's everybody from different cultures/countries/places that came together to defeat the big bad.

Huh, what's its name?
Love is More Than A Word

Arabesque

Where was the tribute in Toriko? I must have missed it.

It was the one that stuck out the most. World Trigger's was a little iffy as well, but kind of works.

The best were usually when done in a super deformed form or as a joke.

a lot of the best manga are written by western influenced authors tbh

Fullmetal Alchmest, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, My Hero Academia...

For Arakawa and Horikoshi. Rather than western influence being the reason they are good at what they do, it has more to do with their ability to write compelling stories and good character arcs. Just because their more famous works are heavily dabbled in imagery that is western (or in FMA's case, German) doesn't lend to why they ended up being as good as they were.

For Araki, it's certainly the "foreign" aesthetic that give a lot of his later work a lot of style, but I wouldn't limit to only western. Araki is pretty much taking from everywhere he likes to include into his story. His influences music wise is more American to be sure.

cntr

Banned
I mean, yeah they get their influence from everywhere like good authors do, but I wouldn't say Araki and Arakawa aren't western-influenced too.

Like look at Diamond is Unbreakable -- Morioh is a small Japanese city, but it looks like a 50s Americana suburb because that's what Araki picked up from horror movies.

Araki has always been straight up in love with Europe and western bands and that shows everywhere in his works very clearly from locations, character names, his art style, etc, etc etc.

Arabesque

Welcome back dramatis btw

Chinese characters are going to have the stereotypical "Chinese look" in JP entertainment forever. Although from the beginning it was pretty obvious a place called Xing would cough up the Chinese-types.

But I think what ended up interesting I guess is that it's everybody from different cultures/countries/places that came together to defeat the big bad.

I think that in the context of FMA, it was always interesting that Arakawa went with the Chinese stand ins for the "visitors from an Oriental culture with superior powers to the cast's country" rather than the Japanese ones. Chinese presentation in Japanese media varies a lot, but I think she did an okay job with what she shown in the story.

I mean, yeah they get their influence from everywhere like good authors do, but I wouldn't say Araki and Arakawa aren't western-influenced too.

Like look at Diamond is Unbreakable -- Morioh is a small Japanese city, but it looks like a 50s Americana suburb because that's what Araki picked up from horror movies.

To be sure, and I made note of that. But Araki's locations are also varied, with Part 3 being a trip from Japan to Egypt, and Part 5 being in Italy for example. The US is his most used location however.

Arakawa used a lot German and mishmash of different cultures in FMA, but Silver Spoon is clearly modelled after her own experience and life (somewhat).

Araki has always been straight up in love with Europe and western bands and that shows everywhere in his works very clearly from locations, character names, his art style, etc, etc etc.

Helps when the story is set up from the get go about Brits immigrating around the world!

Zweizer

Banned
Love is More Than A Word

Interesting. I didn't know about this, and up until now thought the representation of gay people in Chinese media were mostly limited to novels and webcomics. Hopefully this means that the country is getting more open towards gay rights.

Shengar

There's vast difference between Kishimoto's Sasuke and Miura's Griffith. Honestly I never find any similarities between the character besides them being "good lookers with awful personality". There haven't a single instance where I thought Griffith horrible doing portrayed as something good unironically as compared to Sasuke to the eyes of the reader.

OniBarubary have said it that Griffith is something that would you like to call irony. But the irony isn't placed on the character itself but the world surrounding it. Miura does it to provoke anger and draw ire not only towards Griffith, but to show how it is easy to deceive the ignorant masses with half-perceived good deeds.

Miura knows what he writes and the kind of story he want to tell to his reader. Kishimoto doesn't or at least lost his vision midway. I couldn't think anyone with normal moral compass would like Griffith as a character unironically or as he was perceived in the world of the story. Meanwhile Sasuke have a lot of fans who like him as he is, not knowing how horrible his personality in reality.

In my observation, MediKing made the comparison because he doesn't know things better, yet. It's understandable and not something worth to get really upset for. Everybody have their moment of comparing everything to Dragonball or discussing which character that Saitama can't beat.

Shengar

Eh, I would say that Chinese or Hong Kong influence is more prevalent in Arakawa works than western one. It just happened that Fullmetal Alchemist took place somewhere in pseudo-european states. But from the inside, you could see that there's unmistakably Chinese or Eastern Asia value ideals beneath the work.

I agree thought that Arakawa is one of the few authors that injects various of influences in her work. Not just aesthetically or story-wise, but also something more cultural.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

I figured it was something like that. I like how Kuga's just kind of an annoying twit now.
KuGsj.gif

Mediking

There's vast difference between Kishimoto's Sasuke and Miura's Griffith. Honestly I never find any similarities between the character besides them being "good lookers with awful personality". There haven't a single instance where I thought Griffith horrible doing portrayed as something good unironically as compared to Sasuke to the eyes of the reader.

OniBarubary have said it that Griffith is something that would you like to call irony. But the irony isn't placed on the character itself but the world surrounding it. Miura does it to provoke anger and draw ire not only towards Griffith, but to show how it is easy to deceive the ignorant masses with half-perceived good deeds.

Miura knows what he writes and the kind of story he want to tell to his reader. Kishimoto doesn't or at least lost his vision midway. I couldn't think anyone with normal moral compass would like Griffith as a character unironically or as he was perceived in the world of the story. Meanwhile Sasuke have a lot of fans who like him as he is, not knowing how horrible his personality in reality.

In my observation, MediKing made the comparison because he doesn't know things better, yet. It's understandable and not something worth to get really upset for. Everybody have their moment of comparing everything to Dragonball or discussing which character that Saitama can't beat.

Ohhh.... my bad.... thanks for explaining. Sorry everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom