• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Grand blue 8.5-9
Ayup, cakey girl without make up is pretty.
This is a diving manga? Most of the time, mc and his friend drowning in alcohol!

Chio chan no tsugakoro 8
Chio chan yuri radar too strong and kabaddi is a serious business

Voror

Anyone have the 3-1 volumes for Fullmetal Alchemist? Was curious how those are. I know they're not VizBig editions sadl, but had never had a chance to look at them yet.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch471

No childhood would be complete without some bullying.

Their Story ch107-111

cqNCkKi.jpg

Probably literally.

He's got spunk. Good that he doesn't let others dictate what he should do.

Poor Qin Xiong though.

Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch29

Even as she agonizes over her future, Bocchi made another nice friend~

Do You Like Big Girls? ch24-25

As always, Sakura da best.

Anyone have the 3-1 volumes for Fullmetal Alchemist? Was curious how those are. I know they're not VizBig editions sadl, but had never had a chance to look at them yet.

Got the first one for my buddy who I'm trying to get into fma, looking through it my feelings on it are the same as the typical viz big/3-1 collections same positives and negatives.

Revo

My Hero Academia 107

The directing weapon is pretty cool.
Guessing we're going into some kind of protecting next test.

LeleSocho

Banned
Hi Score Girl - 15.6
And that's why they invented the button check

Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu - 29
Silly Bocchi didn't even realized she made a new friend, a powerful one too!

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! - 417
They look like Gian and Suneo

upandaway

Well he referred to it as "the top 5 most important manga", from a western pov at least they were okay choices I guess dunno, seemed objective enough

I feel like people would be able to make solid guesses at his top 5 games list based on this top 5 manga list

Ookii Onnanoko wa Suki Desu ka?

WHY DID NONE OF YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS

I thought you were my friends

Looking at you Zweizer.

A fucking short dude/tall girls manga?

As a man who is 5'4" I will hold this against all of you til the day you die.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Looking at you Zweizer.

Is this the do like big girls manga?
Eh its ok I guess. Dont really like it.

Zweizer

Banned

Looking at you Zweizer.

I thought you were already reading this!

bobohoro

Tokyo Ghoul:re 93

Well that was kinda cool.
But the mad scientist line and buildup was lame as hell.

Tomo-chan 417

This backstory made me like Jun even less. Tomo and Misuzu on the other hand got another boost.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, that was a safe choices. Thought he's going to mention something a bit less mainstream

Hey, how is Astroboy? Could someone describe the genre besides sci-fi?
A mix of genre, there's comedic element in it, with Atom having a gun inside his butt that he often use to surprise enemies and Dr. Ochanomizu large nose. It's surprisingly dark at a times, with Atom forced to face a super killer, bhelping a detective that's really hate robot, a murderous robot, etc.

Big One

Banned
Eh it's pretty standard list I guess? If we're going "Most Important Manga" route you could do much better. Here's a top 5 list for most important shonen manga:

1. Kinnikuman - Outright invented shonen tropes that Dragon Ball got credited for due to being more popular. You can thank Kinnikuman for long-running story arcs, characters that die and come back to life, power levels, and etc. It started it all.
2. Ashita no Joe - Very influential as well as being one of the first truly great anime series on TV as well helped a lot. Ashita no Joe popularized gekiga style in shonen manga, so you can thank it for shonen manga "getting serious" which you often see today.
3. Black Jack - Popularized and influenced the idea of an anti-hero or a badass protagonist. Black Jack may be a jack of all trades when it comes to medicine, but he isn't without faults or his own desires for money despite having a heart of gold underneath all of that.
4. Cutie Honey - Heavily influenced the perception of women in anime/manga. Not only did it start a lot of magical girl tropes, but it was one of the first women-leading series that appeal to pretty much everyone and wasn't just a typical shojo manga. You can thank this series for strong female protagonists we see later on like Alita from Battle Angel Alita or Masoko from Ghost in the Shell.
5. Astro Boy - Pretty much kickstarted both the shonen demographic as well as the action manga boom we're still in till this day. While the structure of Astro Boy hasn't been emulated, it really established that an action series for boys could be huge on a worldiwide level, which was soon taken to another level with Dragon Ball.

Stinky

Eh it's pretty standard list I guess? If we're going "Most Important Manga" route you could do much better. Here's a top 5 list for most important shonen manga:

1. Kinnikuman - Outright invented shonen tropes that Dragon Ball got credited for due to being more popular. You can thank Kinnikuman for long-running story arcs, characters that die and come back to life, power levels, and etc. It started it all.
2. Ashita no Joe - Very influential as well as being one of the first truly great anime series on TV as well helped a lot. Ashita no Joe popularized gekiga style in shonen manga, so you can thank it for shonen manga "getting serious" which you often see today.
3. Black Jack - Popularized and influenced the idea of an anti-hero or a badass protagonist. Black Jack may be a jack of all trades when it comes to medicine, but he isn't without faults or his own desires for money despite having a heart of gold underneath all of that.
4. Cutie Honey - Heavily influenced the perception of women in anime/manga. Not only did it start a lot of magical girl tropes, but it was one of the first women-leading series that appeal to pretty much everyone and wasn't just a typical shojo manga. You can thank this series for strong female protagonists we see later on like Alita from Battle Angel Alita or Masoko from Ghost in the Shell.
5. Astro Boy - Pretty much kickstarted both the shonen demographic as well as the action manga boom we're still in till this day. While the structure of Astro Boy hasn't been emulated, it really established that an action series for boys could be huge on a worldiwide level, which was soon taken to another level with Dragon Ball.

Been a while since I read black jack but wasnt the exorbant fees explained? not only did he NEED the money for some ridiculous expense but I'm pretty sure it was established that he charged a high rate because they persons involved needed to be fully invested in the procedure. certainly he lived humble and never used the extra .oney for anything.

Great picks though, but I think while these are all incredible pioneering manga, they're not necessarily the best. I wouldn't pick astro boy JUST because it was THE shonen precursor. So many other Tezuka manga are masterpieces that I would argue are superior, like Buddha or Pheonix.

Anyways I'm very drunk.

I also love Tomorrow's Joe and its one of the earliest manga I've read with such a scrappy delinquent protagonist. I didn't know it was considered a gekiga manga, I only know of the term from A Drifting Life

DRUNK EDIT: I realise you said most important not best. I apologise

Kieli

I'll have to check it out myself and see how it looks. I guess I'd be worried about ripping it or something.

Normal Vizbig (e.g. Rurouni, DBZ) have thicker paper and are overall higher quality than their typical 1-volume trims.

I'd buy as much in omnibus format just for the quality as for the savings. There's some exceptions though, like Dark Horse's 4-in-1 Chobits. It's absolutely awful for reading and the spine creases too much for my liking.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dark Horse's omnibuses are monstrosities. Someone posted their Astro Boy book in here awhile back and it's a brick of a book.

Jojolion ch. 58

I'm glad we got right back to the family.

I'm glad she immediately shit on Joshuu's hair, too.

Mishiro san to Yamada kun 20 - 21

Nice to see the friend side characters also in a relationship now.

dansan joshi 19

national armpit hair competition. sure

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains 34

no home visit but we got this

Fujiwara really cheat? NO DIGNITY

Hinamatsuri 58
Nitta is a good guy despite being a yakuza. I think Hina trully lost something that day...
Dammit author, we're not supposed to laugh in a chapter about two girls fasting to the point of pain!

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 10

kfG0Ffx.jpg

Another chapter, another new entry in the survival guide for dealing with the princess. At this point I think the demon king just needs to send her home, even if she doesn't seem to want to leave.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch418

Such a bad liar.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch10

They should just send her home. No barrier will be able to stop her.

Kyoumen no Silhouette ch21

It's one problem after another.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Maou-jou de Oyasumi 10
So, i think it's safe to say that demon king really should consider shipping this princess back home. She's a menace!

Jojolion 58

Joshuu meet his mother for the first time, and he proceed to trip and sexually harassed her. Dude is Grade A+ Asshole. Also, his hair is fucking stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom