• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

New Game 38-39

Was that a vending machine-like interface for... ordering in a restaurant? That's so weird. What if they want to make order adjustments or whatever, who brings them the food when it's done? Where is the waiter? How does this work.

Also holy crap those crunches. They just got the development approval + Aoba just got a deadline extension, and she still goes home at 10:30! (before her coworker!)

n3XRy4q.png

Japan you are scary

God damn, yall picked my interest with that whalegon hunting manga.

Phoenician Viking basically treated Bleach like high art and was always arguing about the series. I think that's what they're talking about?
Big One was a diehard One Piece guy.
Phoenician_Viking (formerly Beam) was a diehard Bleach guy.
They did not get along and they argued about everything from characters, fights, power levels, developments, story, Naruto, etc.
Plus One Piece on a whole.
Beam was basically triggered once any type of praise for One Piece came up.

ah yeah, i can see how that would be amusing at first, but get tiring rite fucking quick. thanks for the history lesson, folks.

Wow, that's a really interesting theme. Reading a bit about whaling, it's pretty concerning that Japan does scientific research that requires killing the whales in order to study them, and being labeled as hunting for the purposes of research gives them more relaxed regulations than if they were downright hunting them for their meat... even though they then go and sell the sampled whales' meat to fund themselves.

While I hope the series isn't simply carrying out an agenda, it sounds interesting enough to at least give it a try, and could really go places if it happens to present multiple points of view on the subject.

Nah b, that was just the bullshit reason they gave to justify their whaling. They lost the ICJ chase.
On March 31, 2014 the ICJ ruled that Japan's whaling program was not for scientific purposes. The Court ordered that "Japan revoke any extant authorization, permit or licence to kill, take or treat whales" and refrain from granting any further permits.[135] The court's judges agreed with Australia that the number of Japanese scientific research publications were not proportionate to the number of animals killed.[149] Two former Australian Environment ministers applauded the decision and stated their hopes that Japan will respect it.[202] The decision of the ICJ is final and the right of appeal does not apply in this context.[196]

JulianImp

New Game 38-39

Was that a vending machine-like interface for... ordering in a restaurant? That's so weird. What if they want to make order adjustments or whatever, who brings them the food when it's done? Where is the waiter? How does this work.

Also holy crap those crunches. They just got the development approval + Aoba just got a deadline extension, and she still goes home at 10:30! (before her coworker!)

Japan you are scary

I've been to a couple ramen shops that are like that: You insert your money into the machine, pick the item you want, and get a ticket that you then hand over to the person on the other side of the counter, who in turn relays your order to the cooks. It's kind of weird at first, but I guess it makes things easier when the place is packed, since it saves them time having to write orders down and stuff.

I also remember a friend of mine who works at a Japanese company trying to find a day to hang out with me, only to have to work overtime the whole week. One day she even left the office not because she was done, but because she'd have lost the last train if she had staid at the company any longer!

And in the games industry, an Argentine fellow programmer of mine posted a couple of tweets of being still hard at work on a build for a big gaming event even past 1 AM... for multiple days in a row. (I think he did get a week off after that, but still, man!).

School Idol Days S (Love Live doujin)
It's Aqours' turn to get the HAPPY ENDING treatment, though unfortunately this is just the opening act with a zero death count. While I'm generally pretty positive about the new idols, the 2nd years are currently the least appealing of the three groups, so I'm less hyped for the continuation than I typically would be. Still, my relative apathy towards them probably makes me more receptive to seeing one of them get skewered in the future. So long as it's not Riko.

upandaway

New Game spinoff ch7-10

Oh man, I was hoping they'll build up to the Eagle Jump interview. Cool to see how it rolled into that. Basically thanks to Nenecchi.

I'm curious to see the teacher in present time too. They didn't really leave any blank spots for another spinoff volume so I guess this is it after this is over.

I've been to a couple ramen shops that are like that: You insert your money into the machine, pick the item you want, and get a ticket that you then hand over to the person on the other side of the counter, who in turn relays your order to the cooks. It's kind of weird at first, but I guess it makes things easier when the place is packed, since it saves them time having to write orders down and stuff.

I also remember a friend of mine who works at a Japanese company trying to find a day to hang out with me, only to have to work overtime the whole week. One day she even left the office not because she was done, but because she'd have lost the last train if she had staid at the company any longer!

And in the games industry, an Argentine fellow programmer of mine posted a couple of tweets of being still hard at work on a build for a big gaming event even past 1 AM... for multiple days in a row. (I think he did get a week off after that, but still, man!).
I heard the horror stories but the thing that gets me is that they're literally at the calmest time of development. I'm definitely never getting into game development (or any software development hopefully).

About the restaurant, I mean why not just tell the counter guy what you want. Seems weird. What if I want it without the chilis or ask for details about a dish. Industrializing the process seems like it's missing a lot of important details.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought Koe no Katachi's end was perfect even if a bit too open. Yoshitoki Oima knew what she wanted to convey and she managed it well and concisely.

It really wasn't left that open (it seemed clear to me where it was going), its more that it more than earned some kind of actual romantic tie-up so it was frustrating to leave it off-panel.

Ray Down

Banned
Fairy Tail 506:

Seriously, what was the point of the Natsu vs Gray fight? All it did was waste panels cause nothing happened. These guys are still so dumb for fighting over there dumb reasons.

And the master sacrifice was basically jack shit, Erza mother all like off the 12 are all still alive so nothing was lost way to undermine it. Marx has to be the useless incompetent old man guy I've seen in manga and read Bleach.

Big One

Banned
well, now i'm feeling left out. deets, mangs, deets.
I'm still here! I just haven't been reading a whole lot of manga lately (mainly cause I don't want to build up a collection like I usually do weekly since I'm moving soon). He started most of it if you can't tell, hence why it doesn't exist anymore. The last manga binge I went on was weeks ago and that was me reading the latest official releases of Seven Deadly Sins, but I was so disappointed by the direction that the series was taking I really didn't feel like posting about it.

I just hated Bleach more than I love One Piece I guess. Especially after it ended a couple of months ago Bleach really solidified itself as a shit manga.

I wouldn't call it diehard but I do enjoy One Piece a lot. But it wouldn't really scratch my top 10 or nothing like that.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The Promised Neverland ch. 11

I assumed
glasses girl
wasn't actually spying for Mama, but didn't think the kid might be working for Khrone instead. That was pretty good.

Jintor

New Game 38-39

n3XRy4q.png

Japan you are scary

these programs normalising it is imho bullshit

upandaway

Promised Neverland 11

Wow okay, so both of them were traitors to different people? I didn't expect that. That's cool. Hey that's pretty cool. I'm into it.

Huh... so that's sort of the worst case scenario possible there. Norman was smart too to use his own bed, my instinct would be that the kids would try to use a different kid's bed to try and deflect the focus.

Now that they know who reports to who it may be possible to feed Mama some lies.

upandaway

Promised Neverland

I don't think glasses girl is working for Khrone it looks more like Khrone intercepted her before she was going to talk to mom.
I wasn't sure about which it is, but if it's that then her reaction was suspiciously subdued considering someone just surprised her with a face rub

Arabesque

I don't think glasses girl is working for Khrone it looks more like Khrone intercepted her before she was going to talk to mom.

What I think might be going on is that Gilda herself doesn't want to betray the trio, but in the same way Khrone approached Emma during the chase with talk of how she knew that she was at the gate and saying "I'm on your side here", she had told Gilda the same back then. Gilda probably after learning the "truth" Norman and Emma said to her, thought she'd go and get an "ally" to help them out with their escape.

Don is totally a snitch to Mom though. Which is weird because you'd figure it was Gilda (potential replacement to mom in the future) who'd do it but here we are.

JulianImp

I heard the horror stories but the thing that gets me is that they're literally at the calmest time of development. I'm definitely never getting into game development (or any software development hopefully).

About the restaurant, I mean why not just tell the counter guy what you want. Seems weird. What if I want it without the chilis or ask for details about a dish. Industrializing the process seems like it's missing a lot of important details.

I'm actually doing some job-hunting in Japan's games industry, and I remember reading about a position that listed the working hours as 10 AM to 7 PM (with a 1-hour break in-between, so eight hours of work in total), but then had a separate field in the listing that read "overtime: Yes (20 hour monthly average)"... Months having about 20 work-able days means you'll actually be working an extra hour every day in average, resulting in ten-hour shifts on average instead!

But of course that's just an average, but even then that means for every day you get home on time you're probably going to get back two hours late sometime later instead to offset that difference. That's... kind of scary, to say the least.

dani_dc

I'm actually doing some job-hunting in Japan's games industry, and I remember reading about a position that listed the working hours as 10 AM to 7 PM (with a 1-hour break in-between, so eight hours of work in total), but then had a separate field in the listing that read "overtime: Yes (20 hour monthly average)"... Months having about 20 work-able days means you'll actually be working an extra hour every day in average, resulting in ten-hour shifts on average instead!

But of course that's just an average, but even then that means for every day you get home on time you're probably going to get back two hours late sometime later instead to offset that difference. That's... kind of scary, to say the least.

Overtime is unfortunately culturally expected in Japan, it's part of the reason why I'm not really job-hunting despite disliking my work place, for how much I dislike it at least I don't really do overtime (just the regular 9 hour day with 1 hour lunch break).

Chances are the "20 hours monthly average" isn't accurate either, in fact it might mean that 20 hours of overtime are included in your salary already (mine has something like 20-40 hours of overtime included, so I won't get paid extra unless I go over threshold, what a great way to motivate people).

I've read reports indicating that Abe wants to reform the current work culture force ( http://www.economist.com/news/busin...-badly-japan-needs-labour-reform-overdoing-it) but let's see how it goes.

Shengar

Kuutei Dragon

This manga shows a lot of promise. It have strong start, maginificent art, good worldbuilding, and interesting premise that all packed tightly in the available two chapters so far. My current as of now for it is that the author stay in his track and not become another frustratingly potential-manga-with-good-idea-and-premise-but-ruined-by-acute-wish-fulfillment. Though due to how this manga is structured, it's quite unlikely to happened. But this is Japan so who know?

That aside, let's talk on the whale hunting parallel that been brought up by dani_dc. It's undeniable that the manga have a lot of similarities with our own 18th century whale hunting from the method of hunting, to oil extract as an expensive commodity. There are worry and uneasiness that the manga romanticize dragon hunting, which in turn somehow endorse the current Japanese continual whale hunting for various purpose. Such worry is not unwarranted, though for me it's to early to draw anything between the manga and the real world phenomenon. Sure the manga seems glorified dragon hunting, but the author have thrown a lot of hint that could be said otherwise (like dragon hunter as a job being frowned upon). Not to mention that unlike whale that relatively harmless towards the majority of human population, such is not the case for dragon so far shown on those two chapters (these might change in the future, so we'll see) where they're a real threat. Also author just can't keep regular hunting as the main plot for the manga forever, so things must changed either for the better of the worse.

dani_dc

My Hero Academia 111

This is such a childish argument to be having, and yet I still appreciate it, it's always nice to see teenagers acting their age as opposed to adults in school.

Kuutei Dragon

That aside, let's talk on the whale hunting parallel that been brought up by dani_dc. It's undeniable that the manga have a lot of similarities with our own 18th century whale hunting from the method of hunting, to oil extract as an expensive commodity. There are worry and uneasiness that the manga romanticize dragon hunting, which in turn somehow endorse the current Japanese continual whale hunting for various purpose. Such worry is not unwarranted, though for me it's to early to draw anything between the manga and the real world phenomenon. Sure the manga seems glorified dragon hunting, but the author have thrown a lot of hint that could be said otherwise (like dragon hunter as a job being frowned upon). Not to mention that unlike whale that relatively harmless towards the majority of human population, such is not the case for dragon so far shown on those two chapters (these might change in the future, so we'll see) where they're a real threat. Also author just can't keep regular hunting as the main plot for the manga forever, so things must changed either for the better of thearorse.

While being a Dragon hunter is frowned upon, the story so far presents the profession as a misunderstood profession, Dragon hunters are uncredited heroes.

However, as you said, it's still pretty early on to make any definitive conclusions over the author intents, but so far it leaves me with a feeling of unease.

pbayne

Love Log(Oneshot)

Hella cute.
Onehots are the perfect format for shoujo romance really since you can skip over all the bullshit that those stories usually entail.

upandaway

New Game spinoff 11-13 (end)

Ah man they skipped the interview. It was sort of what I expected though, interview was rocky but she wanted to put her in Yagami's team. Basically super-luck.

This was really neat. I didn't think I'd be interested in their high school life as much as I was. And it was good too.
They didn't show how Hotaru got abroad though as far as I remember, hmm.

upandaway

Overtime is unfortunately culturally expected in Japan, it's part of the reason why I'm not really job-hunting despite disliking my work place, for how much I dislike it at least I don't really do overtime (just the regular 9 hour day with 1 hour lunch break).

Chances are the "20 hours monthly average" isn't accurate either, in fact it might mean that 20 hours of overtime are included in your salary already (mine has something like 20-40 hours of overtime included, so I won't get paid extra unless I go over threshold, what a great way to motivate people).

I've read reports indicating that Abe wants to reform the current work culture force ( http://www.economist.com/news/busin...-badly-japan-needs-labour-reform-overdoing-it) but let's see how it goes.
Good luck both of you, sheesh. It depends though dani if you can land a game design job wouldn't you enjoy the overtime, it might be worth looking.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail 506

What was even the point and how does this still make a lick of sense?

Natsu is sorta related to the bad guy so Gray wants to kill him.

I mean, the fact that their goals completely align doesn't apparently matter.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Tiger Dragon Brothers(one shot}

Huh I didn't know the creator of Beelzebub did a one shot. This was pretty fun, I really like his sense of humor and the way this story takes a lot of unexpected turns. I got more than a good couple of laughs out of this. God, someone please give this man another series. I miss his brand of comedy so freaking much, and this one shot is a nice sign this his skill has only increased since the beginning of Beelz

Gintama 608

Sa-chan and Gintoki together again, and she's already thinking lewd thoughts. The part about the cannon being his thing was pretty funny.

I wonder if they'll be able to end the battle by Monday. I guess if not then Jump won't come out and we'll never know the end. They should win the battle using a Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong cannon.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 12 - 13

I'm fairly sure the princess is more qualified at this point to be the demon king than the actual demon king. That and she pretty much does whatever she wants.

JulianImp

...Wait, so if you just work the required 40 hours that are written in your contract, then you'd be getting paid anywhere from 33 to 50% less compared to the projected salary they include in the job listing? Does not compute...

Good luck both of you, sheesh. It depends though dani if you can land a game design job wouldn't you enjoy the overtime, it might be worth looking.

Chances are you'll be working on a bunch of social, freemium, pachinko and/or gacha games though, which isn't as enjoyable as you might think. That coupled with the gratuituous overtime are the main things that might end up dissuading me from actually getting a job in Japan, because if I'll be locked into a contract for several years (which is probably the case after all the trouble your employer has to go through to get your working visa granted), I think I'd rather not do so for a job that I might not even enjoy after a while.

Like, the time I worked on crappy mobile stuff (which was still simple games such as an arkanoid clone or 15-piece sliding puzzle games... for current Android devices) that kind of work resulted in that the whole team eventually lost the drive to even try and have fun there, and we began merely doing what we were told by our bosses to the letter and nothing else, because why even bother on trying to make the games good if higher-ups are just concerned about meeting game release quotas. Just thinking about doing a similar thing again with all-but-required overtime thrown in for good measure would probably tire me out even faster, and I'd probably come to hate working on games if that was the case.

Edit: We apologize to the passengers for the derail. We'll be getting back on course momentarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom