• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bakuon 29

Poor Chisame, being too short to ride a lot of bikes. Though to be fair, as a slightly shorter than average person, a 34 inch seat height is like the highest I would ever go.
I would say she just needs to give more of them a try, but I've already seen this in the anime and know what happens.

One Piece 820-842

heh, went from "man, oda's probably getting tired of this shit, i feel like i've seen a whole lot of these faces before" to "fuck yeah best fight ever".

It's somewhat interesting, the way he's carrying it. Dude's fully aware that the cast is just too large, especially when one factors how he loves to introduce new players, so he got around the problem by creating the Sanji Search Party, which sure avoids it for a while.

Brook continues to be utterly useless tho

spiritfox

This is one of the few stories where a neat "conclusion" of any sort wouldn't make much sense. It's not about overcoming their problems, it's about merely coping with those problems and communicating about them. I suppose that's disappointing in the context of wanting a more classic narrative in structure but I think it's great for the type of people that the work is trying to portray. Not that it's perfect of course.

It just feels a little lackluster, especially since I don't feel like any of them have grown through the entire story. Maybe that's what the mangaka was going for.

Kingdom 493

I was saying Kayrou Ten was harsh for the enlistment drills but it seem Kyoukai is insane too... that and the fact that all the people in her training camp are all in it to be Kyoukai groupies

those archers made it in... it was interesting getting that background info about those other 10 bowsmen

basically so many fanboys lol

Seems like the next arc will be more focused on khun, his relationship with Maria, and feeling useless to bam .

and endorsi sure likes to be on top
lina-tsun.gif

Tower of God

Seems like its Koon time to shine for the next arc given the mention of his family and a particular name. Should be very interesting and hopefully Rak's pep talk from long ago will play some part of it.

Also another one added to Baam's harem? lol.

Plus Hatsu better fucking represent in this new arc.

Revo

Prison School 230

Every confrontation the stakes just have to keep getting upped and upped and upped.

Prison School 231

So does he just fall over now?

Lain

I thought Koe no Katachi's end was perfect even if a bit too open. Yoshitoki Oima knew what she wanted to convey and she managed it well and concisely.

That's not a whole lot different to many anime posts, super short impressions of single episodes. Certainly that's what mine are like Its only a tiny minority that post large blog like entries.

I think the difference is that AnimeGaf "more" responsive to lengthy post. That is to be expected though since anime have a set list of shows per season, makes it easier for people to react to since they are nore likely to watch the same show. Meanwhile manga is much more flexible at that with different publishing schedule. There's no fixed set of reading in certain amount of time and thus people are less likely to read the same thing. Not to mention that by pure number manga eclised anime by huge margin for obvious reasons (just look at lewd titles that Zweizer had read and posted an impression here, inexhaustible) .

When something real good explode in popularity and the majority of MangaGaf read it, that's when discussion usually start to kick in. It's not like there isn't discussion, it just they are happened at more random interval.

Obviously it isn't like AnimeGAF thread and its participants are perfect, not even close lol. But at least it seems the average post isn't a single six word sentence?

In fact it isn't like I am especially championing those super long, detailed posts that seems more appropriate for a specialty blog, I don't expect every single post to be like that nor it would make sense.
It's the already described typical 6 words comment of a single chapter where I have issues with. Sometimes it's even less than 6 words, mind you. Of course everyone have freedom to choose how to post in GAF, but with times I noticed that most people don't care about them or at least it seems that way. They aren't conductive to debate, communication, or anything. They are basically a signpost saying 'I read this weekly'.
edit: additionally, the problem is this too: when most people post in that style, it creates a 'tone' in the thread, where no one bothers to do more because it seems no one is going to read your block of text. It creates a feedback loop that makes it hard to change the status quo.

Zweizer

Banned
All you'll get by prohibiting short impressions would be inhibiting discussion though, not encourage it.

Seriously, do you have any proof for your claims that short posts are hurting discussions? Do you see anyone criticizing or trying to prevent others from posting lengthy, detailed analysises? How do you come to the conclusion that somehow "short posts = less users going to write long ones"?

It's not like post length prevents people from reacting either. Plenty of people do read and answer to short ones, just as plenty do read and react to long ones, and unless you somehow wish that every post is filled with users quoting each other, I don't see how your claim that shorts posts are problematic helps anything. No offense, but the only one I see trying to stifle this thread's activity is you.

You have a problem with short impressions, fine. Ignore them, add the particularly offending users to your ignore list, or hell, start a thread only reserved for detailed debating, but trying to police this thread's tone is pointless and so far only serves to alienates other users against you.

Short posts work because they are about chapters. There's only so much you can say about 20 or so pages unless there's some big twist involved, specially shounen stuff.
edit: additionally, the problem is this too: when most people post in that style, it creates a 'tone' in the thread, where no one bothers to do more because it seems no one is going to read your block of text. It creates a feedback loop that makes it hard to change the status quo.
I haven't been posting here for long but even I can tell you that's bullshit.

Zweizer

Banned
Gonna compensate with some shorter ones~

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! ch38

It's not nice being prejudiced, Akina.

Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san ch21

BbOknEu.jpg

Only 30%?

Still, colds are not so bad after all!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
We should have a contest to see how short a post you can make about new chapters of a manga that still makes a point or is descriptive but in the most concise manner possible.

TheFlow

Banned
Nothing wrong with short post. Some chapters don't warrant much of a long response.

One thing though is a lot of popular mangas have their own threads that people post and discuss in. That could be the reason why some post here are short.

Like MHA and one piece are full of scholars when it comes to a chapter release and it is awesome

dani_dc

Kuutei Dragons 1-2

I quite enjoyed the premise, there's just an inherent sense of adventure to the idea of going into the skies to hunt Dragons. These two chapters have a strong sense of a living world which will hopefully keep being developed as the series goes along, and the main cast is presented with a strong sense of individuality.

There is however a feeling of uneasiness as to how the series romanticizes the hunting of Dragons, mostly due to the fact that the series seems to parallel dragon hunting with whale hunting, both in the method of hunting, as well to the fact that the Dragons (much like whales) seem to be somewhat sociable animals with a certain level of intelligence.

For those reasons, I do hope the series delves more into the negative side of hunting Dragons as opposed to simply continuing to romanticize it as it did the first two chapters.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kuutei Dragons 1-2

I quite enjoyed the premise, there's just an inherent sense of adventure to the idea of going into the skies to hunt Dragons. These two chapters have a strong sense of a living world which will hopefully keep being developed as the series goes along, and the main cast is presented with a strong sense of individuality.

There is however a feeling of uneasiness as to how the series romanticizes the hunting of Dragons, mostly due to the fact that the series seems to parallel dragon hunting with whale hunting, both in the method of hunting, as well to the fact that the Dragons (much like whales) seem to be somewhat sociable animals with a certain level of intelligence.

For those reasons, I do hope the series delves more into the negative side of hunting Dragons as opposed to simply continuing to romanticize it as it did the first two chapters.

Now that you mention it, it does has that certain whale hunting feeling. Seem there's no regulation toward dragon hunting as well

We should have a contest to see how short a post you can make about new chapters of a manga that still makes a point or is descriptive but in the most concise manner possible.

Getsuyoubi no tawawa
Tits

All you'll get by prohibiting short impressions would be inhibiting discussion though, not encourage it.

Seriously, do you have any proof for your claims that short posts are hurting discussions? Do you see anyone criticizing or trying to prevent others from posting lengthy, detailed analysises? How do you come to the conclusion that somehow "short posts = less users going to write long ones"?

It's not like post length prevents people from reacting either. Plenty of people do read and answer to short ones, just as plenty do read and react to long ones, and unless you somehow wish that every post is filled with users quoting each other, I don't see how your claim that shorts posts are problematic helps anything. No offense, but the only one I see trying to stifle this thread's activity is you.

You have a problem with short impressions, fine. Ignore them, add the particularly offending users to your ignore list, or hell, start a thread only reserved for detailed debating, but trying to police this thread's tone is pointless and so far only serves to alienates other users against you.

+1

Excuse me, but I would rather not return to the days of yore when it was Big One versus Phoenician Viking

aka Beam.

For a while that shit was hilarious then it got real sad.

spiritfox

Kuutei Dragons 1-2

I can't unsee the whale hunting similarities now that dani has pointed it out. But it's the only problem I have with it. I'm just a sucker for this kind of manga, plus the artstyle is great.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shin Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko 007b
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!? No, seriously, this one need to be seen to be believed

Thats a hell of a origin story, a bit too over the top imo. the art is cool and boxing matches are good so far. My main issue is that the mc is too one dimensional "surrounded" by characters that I dont care about. the chapters jump into fights too quickly without establishing any meaningful relationships. Azami looks up to the ex-champ turned yakuza guy but there is no real interaction between them. Baba is there..he does training stuff. he fucks hookers? good for him.
Apparently there are nameless gym mates ...that Azami never talk to. ever. not to mention there is an extreme lack of side characters overall.
Then there is the girl...she's his friend for 7 years but apparently they never even hung out and she only seen azami smile once? not really a believable friendship there. and finally, where is the teacher that was first mother figure Azami's life? she would have been a great supporting character and mentor that is outside the world of violence and boxing. They could have fought through the tragedies that went through and support each other.

So most the violence is there to be a gritty adult manga and doesn't really contribute to the story. you could remove all of it, just keep the Azami childhood abuse by his father I guess, and it will be the same.

JulianImp

Kuutei Dragons 1-2

Wow, that's a really interesting theme. Reading a bit about whaling, it's pretty concerning that Japan does scientific research that requires killing the whales in order to study them, and being labeled as hunting for the purposes of research gives them more relaxed regulations than if they were downright hunting them for their meat... even though they then go and sell the sampled whales' meat to fund themselves.

While I hope the series isn't simply carrying out an agenda, it sounds interesting enough to at least give it a try, and could really go places if it happens to present multiple points of view on the subject.

dramatis

Wasn't there a new guy recently with a persona avatar that was reading Berserk? Did you jerks scare him away?
Mediking's in gaming side getting hyped about FF15 (lol)

well, now i'm feeling left out. deets, mangs, deets.
Big One was a diehard One Piece guy.
Phoenician_Viking (formerly Beam) was a diehard Bleach guy.

They did not get along and they argued about everything from characters, fights, power levels, developments, story, Naruto, etc.

Wait what happened to Tonari no Seki-kun?

Haven't seen it in a long time.

Mediking's in gaming side getting hyped about FF15 (lol)

hmmmm

Hope that works out for him as gaming side hype can be a terrible thing.

Big One was a diehard One Piece guy.
Phoenician_Viking (formerly Beam) was a diehard Bleach guy.

They did not get along and they argued about everything from characters, fights, power levels, developments, story, Naruto, etc.

Plus One Piece on a whole.

Beam was basically triggered once any type of praise for One Piece came up.

Gintama

They want to finish it by Monday?

and we see the 3 major alien tribes arriving... which means we might see individual people shine in the coming chapters

Nanatsu no Taizai

Certain individuals died and this chapter also was not focused on combat but a transitional chapter with sadness

also it was interesting to see Melodias actually being scared for once

Viz Shonen Jump 10/17

Spring Weapon No1 1

This is a gag series about a secret war between evil robots and human agents that fight them. Our main characters are a undercover high school boy with no friends and no sense of human interaction, and the titled Spring Weapon No 1 who got tired of being a evil machine, ran away to try the human world and find the spring time of his youth. Strong first impression and I'm not a fan of gag series, did get a bit of an opm vibe by the fight at the end between the mc and an evil robot who was taked to get him back.

Black Clover 82

Blah including spin off only characters is always a shitty move especially if you aren't going to bother to introduce them. Seriously how hard would a half chapter montage flash back be? The witch world is pretty cool and I imagine saving Vanessa will be as important as saving Asta by the end of this arc.

World Trigger 161

Not really sure what value this chapter had, the seniors didn't do much nor does knowing Kino used to be a member of Takoma.

My Hero Academia 111

If Todoroki and wind guy pass its gonna be because Deku bails them out with a strategy that combines their powers for maximum effectiveness. I like that the series continues to bring up the police and their relationship with the heroes since its not over done but not given a throw away line excuse to have them not be there.

Toriko 391

This chapter was a blurry mess hard to get invested when the action becomes hard to follow. How many more times can Aracia eat people I feel like this already happened a few weeks ago.

Amalgam of Distortion 2

This chapter felt like a waste of time, I like the premise and the world but they could have done a much better job of showing that the mc is still human. Samurai guy letting him live at the end felt really out of nowhere.

Promised Neverland 11

So we know now the traitor
Don
and that
Gilda
can't be trusted but isn't actually a traitor. Ironically Khrone is gonna be the reason the kids gain an advantage as the plan would have been completely fucked had Khrone not intervened.

Red Sprite 8

Next chapter it looks like we may FINALLY get a plasmarrow vs plasmarrow fight which will be the make or break moment for this series.

Love Rush 8-9

So the harem is estabilished, can jump can this already its descended down the path to exactly what I was afraid it would be.

Food Wars/Shokugeki no Soma 187

This feels like its being set up for Soma to lose but he can't unless he loses per judges but then Hayama concedes for some arbitrary reason.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 13

SiyYeUf.png

The president is clearly an upstanding individual with an admirable personal creed, as you'd expect from such a highbrow academic institution. We're only 13 chapters in, but the fact that this is already able to showcase such a strong, diverse cast speaks volumes about its characterisation. Or maybe it's just the power of animal ears.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Viz Shonen Jump 10/17

Spring Weapon No1 1

This is a gag series about a secret war between evil robots and human agents that fight them. Our main characters are a undercover high school boy with no friends and no sense of human interaction, and the titled Spring Weapon No 1 who got tired of being a evil machine, ran away to try the human world and find the spring time of his youth. Strong first impression and I'm not a fan of gag series, did get a bit of an opm vibe by the fight at the end between the mc and an evil robot who was taked to get him back.

Black Clover 82

Blah including spin off only characters is always a shitty move especially if you aren't going to bother to introduce them. Seriously how hard would a half chapter montage flash back be? The witch world is pretty cool and I imagine saving Vanessa will be as important as saving Asta by the end of this arc.

World Trigger 161

Not really sure what value this chapter had, the seniors didn't do much nor does knowing Kino used to be a member of Takoma.

My Hero Academia 111

If Todoroki and wind guy pass its gonna be because Deku bails them out with a strategy that combines their powers for maximum effectiveness. I like that the series continues to bring up the police and their relationship with the heroes since its not over done but not given a throw away line excuse to have them not be there.

Toriko 391

This chapter was a blurry mess hard to get invested when the action becomes hard to follow. How many more times can Aracia eat people I feel like this already happened a few weeks ago.

Amalgam of Distortion 2

This chapter felt like a waste of time, I like the premise and the world but they could have done a much better job of showing that the mc is still human. Samurai guy letting him live at the end felt really out of nowhere.

Promised Neverland 11

So we know now the traitor
Don
and that
Gilda
can't be trusted but isn't actually a traitor. Ironically Khrone is gonna be the reason the kids gain an advantage as the plan would have been completely fucked had Khrone not intervened.

Red Sprite 8

Next chapter it looks like we may FINALLY get a plasmarrow vs plasmarrow fight which will be the make or break moment for this series.

Love Rush 8-9

So the harem is estabilished, can jump can this already its descended down the path to exactly what I was afraid it would be.

Food Wars/Shokugeki no Soma 187

This feels like its being set up for Soma to lose but he can't unless he loses per judges but then Hayama concedes for some arbitrary reason.

It's a shonen. I really doubt Soma's just losing to the same dude again. He already got beat by him and that was with Hayama invoking the power of friendship.

Kuutei Dragons 1-2

Ok, the parallel with whale hunting couldn't be 100% accurate, it could be a coincidence...

/read the first 15 pages...

Wait, they hunt the dragons for the meat? With hooks and harpoons?
And then this?

Forget what I said.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail

The reports of Makarov's death are greatly exaggerated methinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom