• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy Tail 506
I agree Mishima, why are these two even fighting in the first place. Least we're nearing end game now.

Dungeon Meshi 28
Worth the wait, seems like everything is fine with Farlyn, personality wise. Cept the sudden increase in mana.

kasane

soma 187

if hayama wins its an asspull, Tosh and co. already pulled all the cards for the soma win. Unless its another draw or some shit.

One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Spring Weapon Number One (CP)
Hinomaru Zumou
The Promised Neverland (5th chapter ranking)
Boruto (CP)
Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
Samon-kun wa Summoner
Gintama
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Ibitsu no Amalgam
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
World Trigger
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Toriko
Red Sprite (2nd chapter ranking)
Shokugeki no Souma
Love Rush! (3rd chapter ranking)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Shounen Jump Issue 48:
Cover, Lead CP: Black Clover
CP: Gintama (Important Announcement), Saiki Kusuo no Sainan, Isobe Isobee Monogatari (Important Announcement)

Shounen Jump Issue 49:
CP: Saiki Kusuo no Sainan

Black Clover with back to back cover and cp? Popularity poll and anime announcement imminent? Also Gintama final chapter to be announced? Love Rush and Red Sprite destined for the butcher?

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch445

You know shit's serious when even Misuzu is afraid.

Joshikausei ch55

C0gKDQf.jpg

Aww~

The rough art this time gave it a pretty nostalgic mood, which was appropriate.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch13.5

I can see why she's popular.

Akagi ch289

Looks like it's all up to luck now.

Genshiken Nidaime ch127 (End)

Kuchiki will never change. Now, on to a new generation again.

I wonder if there'll be a Genshiken Sandaime next.

TgwqmHd.png

Huh, I should really start reading Golden Kamui.

bobohoro

Tomo-chan 445

When a 4-koma comes together like this, title and all, it's a joy.
Would have just needed a webcam to get the looks of the readers as well.

Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou
Boruto (CP)
Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
Samon-kun wa Summoner
Gintama
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Ibitsu no Amalgam
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
World Trigger
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Toriko
Shokugeki no Souma
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Shounen Jump Issue 48:
CP: Gintama (Important Announcement), Saiki Kusuo no Sainan, Isobe Isobee Monogatari (Important Announcement)

Shounen Jump Issue 49:

Black Clover with back to back cover and cp? Popularity poll and anime announcement imminent? Also Gintama final chapter to be announced? Love Rush and Red Sprite destined for the butcher?

What does 3rd chapter ranking etc mean?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
RIP Love Rush and Red Sprite?

Soma again nearly dead last. Hayama heel-turn backlash still in effect?
If they wanted to just randomly make the meaningless rankings go up they would just insert random chapters with Erina being silly.

But since the rankings are meaningless

Ascheroth

If they wanted to just randomly make the meaningless rankings go up they would just insert random chapters with Erina being silly.

But since the rankings being meaningless...

I wouldn't say it's meaningless, but it's not like a series dropping down for a few weeks means it's suddenly in danger of getting cancelled, that would be silly.
But it's interesting to speculate about the why's and how's.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wouldn't say it's meaningless, but it's not like a series dropping down for a few weeks means it's suddenly in danger of getting cancelled, that would be silly.
But it's interesting to speculate about the why's and how's.
No, they are meaningless. Bakuman isn't a documentary.

upandaway

But since the rankings are meaningless
They're meaningless beyond a certain amount of time/chapters, but there's a pretty clear correlation between ranking and survival rates for series with say less than 50 chapters (the only real exception I know is Mx0)

Red Sprite will survive! I know it will make a come back!
I hope it will make a comeback :(

It's one of my favorite series right now, I really hope it stays.

ALL MONO-EYE TO THE GLORY

I've always been mildly curious about why it's usually titled "Dr. Hitomi's..." online, where as the official English release went with "Nurse". Are both fitting translations? Is it subtle discrimination against mono-eyes? Or perhaps there's something shady about Ms Hitomi's medical credentials? I'll have to investigate her further.

Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou
Boruto (CP)
Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
Samon-kun wa Summoner
Gintama
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Ibitsu no Amalgam
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
World Trigger
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Toriko
Shokugeki no Souma
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Shounen Jump Issue 48:

Shounen Jump Issue 49:

what was Red Sprites first ranking at though?

anyone know?

Zweizer

Banned
I came across some Oyasumi PunPun merchandise!

However says puzzles are relaxing is incredibly wrong, I'd have went insane if I had worked on it alone. Especially with those mostly white pieces.

Huh, I'd have expected plushies. Not a puzzle.

At least it'd be a good way to go insane.

Revo

Tower of God s2ep220

Hopefully this means we get to see more of Maria.
Sounds like everything will be nice and easy from here on out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, they are meaningless. Bakuman isn't a documentary.
Rankings most definitely matter Hinomaru Zumou is a testament to it, that manga has consistently sold 30k per volume since it's debut that's New series level and yet 120 chapters later it's still ongoing getting an iregularily high amount of colour pages (including one just last week) and doesn't seem to be any sort of current risk of getting cancelled as there's still a laundry list of manga jump will likely want to go through before it even thinks of doing that.

The seemingly notable factor being it's consistently higher than average rankings never really dropping out of the top half of jump when taken on cumulative average.

Revo

Shiori Experience - Jimi na Watashi to Hen na Oji-san 17

And everything starts crumbling down. Couldn't ride high forever.

Angry Grimace

Rankings most definitely matter Hinomaru Zumou is a testament to it, that manga has consistently sold 30k per volume since it's debut that's New series level and yet 120 chapters later it's still ongoing getting an iregularily high amount of colour pages (including one just last week) and doesn't seem to be any sort of current risk of getting cancelled as there's still a laundry list of manga jump will likely want to go through before it even thinks of doing that.

The seemingly notable factor being it's consistently higher than average rankings never really dropping out of the top half of jump when taken on cumulative average.

What actually matters is sales and sales potential. Sometimes the rankings align with that and sometimes they don't. Shokugeki no Soma was like the 13th best selling series for the beginning of the year. It legitimately makes no difference where it is in the rankings, even if its sales were cut in half.

The poll doesn't mean anything in and of itself, it just happens to frequently correlate with series sales early on. If you try to look at the rankings as indicative of basically anything in a vacuum, you're not going to get any useful information.

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 1

Holy shit, I don't think I've seen anything put into words just what the struggle with depression is like as well as this. This is so goddamn relateable even as a straight male.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What actually matters is sales and sales potential. Sometimes the rankings align with that and sometimes they don't. Shokugeki no Soma was like the 13th best selling series for the beginning of the year. It legitimately makes no difference where it is in the rankings, even if its sales were cut in half.

The poll doesn't mean anything in and of itself, it just happens to frequently correlate with series sales early on. If you try to look at the rankings as indicative of basically anything in a vacuum, you're not going to get any useful information.

Nah pretty sure it's been proven convincingly at this point that sales and sales potential aren't the sole motivators. I mean really think about it, Bleach was rushed to it's conclusion. Bleach sells 400k per volume. Toriko is also heading to it's conclusion. Jump has cancelled or moved the manga to a different manga, many high selling manga's. If sales alone were all that mattered consistently high selling manga wouldn't be hurried along their completion path without the mangaka essentially just giving up or moved ever. Your hypotheisis also doesn't remotely explain Hinomaru's contnued serialization which must be some sort strange enigma to you, since it seems to have neither of those yet has outlasted manga that have had both, by a large margin too.

You have to keep in mind that Jump cares about Jump itself it's not only a advertising venue to sell manga volumes but also a magazine that wants to maintain it's high circulation. That's why rankings matter. It's based on readership feedback, those that actually consistently buy jump. If they don't like the manga in jump they'll be less likely to buy jump itself. Which is why low rankings and low sales manga get the axe first, because they serve no purpose whatsoever. Highly ranked manga at least have interest to jump's readership which is why they're more likely to keep them around.

elyetis

Angel Densetsu 1-15 (re-read)

Man I forgot how great this series was !
I re-read it yearly since I discovered it.
It pains me to think it's unlikely to ever be licenced outside japan ( well in a english or french speaking country ), I kind of hoped they would try to sell it with "By the author of claymore" when the manga + anime was running.

That and kyou kara ore wa. :'(

dumbyugi

Rankings matter early on for series in Jump. Toriko has been speeding through this final arc but if it was being cancelled it would have ended months ago, also it ranks fairly decently most the time anyway. Bleach was in its final arc for years and besides having a shitty ending there's no actual proof it was cancelled. Both series lost sales after their animes ended as well. The sumo manga is pulling a Psyren, it's only surviving because there's been a consistent stream of new series doing worse in rankings and sales. Unless it gets an anime I don't see it not being cancelled eventually. To Love-Ru is a good example of what rankings mean nothing for a series that sells well. It was in the bottom 5 for most of its run in weekly Jump and it only ended early because Yabuki was having issues with his wife. Sales of manga volumes is ultimately far more important then magazine rankings.

It pains me to think it's unlikely to ever be licenced outside japan ( well in a english or french speaking country ), I kind of hoped they would try to sell it with "By the author of claymore" when the manga + anime was running.

Claymore should have been sold as from the author of Angel Densetsu, damn it

Rankings matter early on for series in Jump. Toriko has been speeding through this final arc but if it was being cancelled it would have ended months ago, also it ranks fairly decently most the time anyway. Bleach was in its final arc for years and besides having a shitty ending there's no actual proof it was cancelled. Both series lost sales after their animes ended as well. The sumo manga is pulling a Psyren, it's only surviving because there's been a consistent stream of new series doing worse in rankings and sales. Unless it gets an anime I don't see it not being cancelled eventually. To Love-Ru is a good example of what rankings mean nothing for a series that sells well. It was in the bottom 5 for most of its run in weekly Jump and it only ended early because Yabuki was having issues with his wife. Sales of manga volumes is ultimately far more important then magazine rankings.

It's not the be all end all metric, but for new series (the only ones specifically marked) it at least gives people an early warning that they shouldn't get too invested since it may not have long to live.

Bought some manga off amazon the other day. Got the vol 1 - 3 of devil's line and the newest jitsu wa watashi wa.

devil's line vol 3

I read the first two a couple weeks ago and got into the story. Since it got licensed I think the group translating it stopped, so I figure might as well buy it anyway.
I like the relationship between Anzai and Tsukasa. I also like how its fairly different than other vampire related manga I've read, as here they're just trying to fit in even though it seems like everything's against them in their sad lives. I'm also liking the new character Hans Lee quite a bit.
I think the plot is starting to get interesting with the anti-vampire group, and I'm looking forward to how the main characters who are part of the police are going to handle it considering they don't know who in the police they can trust.

I came across some Oyasumi PunPun merchandise!
However says puzzles are relaxing is incredibly wrong, I'd have went insane if I had worked on it alone. Especially with those mostly white pieces.

Y'see, any activity, no matter how horrendous, will have at least a small subset of people that actively that enjoy it. This goes from smut and yuri aaaaall the way to math and nippon ichi games (same thing, rly). Few things are as bizarre to me as seeing someone whistle while doing math problems.

same goes for puzzles.

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 2-4

Yeah, this needs to be required reading for anyone with depression. Well, maybe people that are at least in the recovering stages of it because this is goddamn rough.

Arabesque

Jump Giga is already ceasing publication after four issues.

Being rebranded after 4 issues into something new, just like it was rebranded from Jump Next. They did say it was only running for those 4 issues at least.

I honestly have no idea what they are trying to do with this magazine. Like the end game seems to be just keep on relaunching it forever?

7 Deadly Sins 20ish to 74

Finally got back to this and continue to find it fairly solid and enjoyable. The villains main goal is laughably short sighted but it gets the job done. One thing I wasn't expecting was the permanent death of Liz's sister Veronica since if happened kinda randomly during any old battle I can't think of another shonen that would kill someone off so randomly and have it stick. Highlight of the series has been Ban's immortalitly flash back.

Verelios

I really wish more people had latched onto Kyou Kara. It has a surprisingly great narrative progression (3 years!) and character development. Usually I won't recommend it as a Yankee manga, as I'd just show Crows or Worst, but for comedy and action it's in the same vein as Angel dentetsu for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom