• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekid

Tokyo Ghoul:re 98

I don't fully understand what's happening as usual but I can tell than shit is going down.
Hamon is captured/dead, Marude is on the run, we seem to have an Anteiku/white suit/Akira/Takizawa alliance + probably Kaneki/Remnant of squad 0, and Furuta is Washuu and going wild.
Also wiki is telling me the girl at the end with Kanou is Nishi's girlfriend, the fuck ?

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 173

9SzsHIJ.png

Give that girl a medal for Gallantry in the Face of the Enemy. Kazumi's always just been kinda there for me, but occasionally she puts in a good performance. There aren't many people those heeled legs could belong to, unless it's a newcomer (which is doubtful with only 8 or so chapters left).

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Helck ch. 77.2

Please stop fucking around before you get yourself killed, Piuy.

Yona of the Dawn ch. 131

Wait, what

I get that Yona wants to prevent this war from happening and she doesn't exactly have a wealth of options on the table, but heading back to Soo Woon wasn't really what I was expecting. Also Hak didn't seem the least bit surprised by this, which was a tad odd.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tomo chan latest
Jun is very dissapointed. Dammit Tomo, please take a hint

Criminale 22-24
Assassin girl is still the best girl.

Sekkachi Hakushaku to Jikan Dorobou 6
Kumeta Koji make the best masturbation joke. Santa gift is just dimensional junk is funny

Zweizer

Banned
Their Story ch114

Of course Sun Jing is in.

Someone feels left out.

Kingdom ch494

Law is a complex matter, even more so when it's about uniting seven different states. Good thing Qin isn't short of talented people.

Mangagaf any thoughts on Clay Lord: Master of Golems?
03fbc533d82e346f4c3c728e1efed9f4.jpg

The cover seems cool and it looked like something I could like, but it's only 3 volumes and usually that means it's a cancelled series.

Why would she want to bet her Yellow May for the Green April ?
The train is now ridiculously stacked. slayer candidate, ex slayer and current slayer. things are gonna get messy .

upandaway

Hakumei and Mikochi ch6

WDpkE8Q.png

I see you up there little guy. I see you.

The little tree place in the abandoned area reminded me a bit of the Gravity Rush starting area. This manga's worldbuilding is intense

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
My Bride is His Wife 21 END

Ever read a series just because of the title?

...I did. It was bad and it just ends because it was probably axed.

Started out interesting, end with a wet fart. Mafia subplot was not important to the plot, the scandal got resolved too quick, and a status quo ending. Seriously, i wish author could take it up even further

Arabesque

At least Ichigo now looks like Isshin proper, rather than how Kubo tried to make it work the first time,

The colour filter he uses is still awful though. I have no idea why he ever thought it was a good idea to use on 19 volumes in a row.

Arabesque

World Trigger 162

Um

Wow, that sure is a lot of dead kids. I knew Old Border lost a lot of people in the past (hence Kido being how he is now) but damn ... that is a lot of dead kids.

The most shocking revelation here is that Old Border not only had to fend off the invasion 4.5 years ago, but that a 6 months prior they had lost more than half their members (between the 10 who died and the 2 that were confirmed to have left to start Kido's faction/go back to civilian life) in a large scale war and then had to fight against another invasion with half their man power. Granted, they had a lot of Black Triggers then but still. Gives a lot of context for how things went with Afto's and Galo's invasions recently.

That is a lot of dead kids man.

I do wonder whatever happened with the defence pact they had in place with the 3 nations? Unless Yuri's words on it being a "promise" meant that the nations themselves didn't want to get involved in Earth's problems and only used Border to their advantage? I guess that's what her words meant when she said that as much as their ideology might be morally sound, being naive and not figuring out a way to produce results left them as a relics.

Nice to know that Kido's propaganda was more about driving recruitment numbers quickly rather than actual doctrine he enforces, but I feel that the set up here is for Osamu to figure out a way to maintain and restore Old Border/Tamakoma's ideal.

Food for thought: Konami is one of the very first people to ever join Old Border, but 6 years ago she would have been 11. Given that Border was established while Yugo was on Earth before 10 years from the current story, that would mean Konami joined it when she was younger than ... 7?

Lots of dead kids built that house, man.

The rest of the chapter was really a nice continuation of last week where we see the cast going through small and normal things in their day, helping and practicing and goi around meeting friends. A little sad Yuma, Osamu and China don't hang out like that, but still cool seeing them bindi with others of similar interest and having a glimpse into their daily lives now.

Hyuse is also really hilarious when he gets super salty lol

The Promised Neverland 12

HOLY SHIT

WHAT

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I did a double take too.

My best guess is that ...
he's testing Norman to see if he can truly outsmart Mom? Maybe?

Also,
I liked that we see how much of an effect Emma has on Norman as well. It's easy to see why someone who is as smart as he is could fall for her inherent goodness.

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 507

What was even the poi...you know what?
Forget it.

Tomo-chan 450

That classy Misuzu look.
Jun is so looking forward to this.

Shimanami Tasogare Vol. 1 and Chapters 5-8

Everybody should read this manga.

The manga is about a boy, Tasuku Kaname, who has recently moved to a new town and shortly after is almost outed as being gay. When he is lamenting how his life is over because people may have discovered his secret he sees a woman jump from the window of a building that turns out to be a small lounge/cafe with a number of odd patrons; including the owner, named Anonymous, who is perfectly fine after walking back in and asks him if he still wants to die. After following Anonymous up to the viewing platform of a cliffside she tells him that he can tell her anything but she won't ask him to and that when she's done eating her ice cream she's leaving. Kaname then confesses to her that he has a secret that he hides and would rather be dead and use the worst words that would be hurtful to him if he heard them than have people know. Anonymous invites him to visit the lounge the next day and then says a number of gay people visit there too before jumping off the viewing platform.

She then floats away because of course she does.

This manga is basically an exploration of a young boy hiding the fact that he's gay and interacting with other people in the lounge who may be gay or trans and their lives and problems. It's incredibly respectful in how it treats these issues and explores how the main character has such difficulty coming to terms with his homosexuality and the ways others view it. There is a lot they explore in a very short amount of time, with a homosexual lady and her wife that build housing to a younger boy in the most recent volumes who enjoys cross-dressing and bullies the MC because he himself doesn't know what his sexuality is

The manga does not shy away from Japan's abhorrent views on LGBT issues and some of the most damaging aspects in the manga are that casual "well as long as you get along with the neighborhood this place will still get queer rumors if gay people use it as a meeting place" type bullshit or when his teacher tells them that anyone can like whoever they want and the bullying kids ask him if he has a boyfriend and he says "Don't be absurd"

The artwork is very very nice, with a stronger lined shoujo/shounen ai style. The boys are all pretty with long eyelashes but not distractingly so and there are very impressive backgrounds and altered perception paneling that a lot of series focusing on LGBT issues don't tend to have (as a lot of shoujo/shounen ai works tend to focus more on character art than backgrounds, unless you're Amatsuki or something).

There's a lot of really beautiful shots like this.

The characters are the strength of this work as it's focused on how issues affect people in a lot of ways and as such they have to be strong to move the narrative forward. When the narrative focuses on Kaname's issues or the other characters and how they deal with prejudice or social pressure or everything else that comes with being LGBT it really shines. The weakest part is when it focuses on Anonymous and how "mysterious" she is because it seems pretty unnecessary and they don't really develop it at all. She's an interesting character but she's not a complex one and she really isn't the focus of a lot of the manga.

I definitely recommend this to people.

Oh shit, wait, I mean.

Shimanami Tasogare

It's pretty good.

I did a double take too.

My best guess is that ...
he's testing Norman to see if he can truly outsmart Mom? Maybe?

Also,
I liked that we see how much of an effect Emma has on Norman as well. It's easy to see why someone who is as smart as he is could fall for her inherent goodness.

Nah I think that is genuine

Norman likely told both Don and Gilda the same location, when Gilda is flashing back about Norman telling them not to trust mom/sister he was talking to both at the same time. He took a gamble that neither was the traitor and lied to Emma and Ray about telling Don and Guilda seperate locations. Ray was the one who suggested investigating Don and Gilda in the first place and Ray looked nervous with how Norman handled telling Don and Gilda the truth. I think Norman suspected Ray the whole time going back and rereading the past few chapters. It also explains why Norman asked Emma what they should do with the traitor when they make their escape.

World Trigger 162

Kido's smile: not protected. An interesting bit of history for Border, and might be setting up Osamu as being the one to revive Old Border's ideals. I'm a bit curious about the two other members mentioned that haven't shown up yet, hopefully both of them will pop back in eventually.

Revo

Overlord 19

Lizardmen are faring much better than I expected.
Looks like they were even more underestimated than I thought.

bjork

I'm so glad that Destroy and Revolution is close to finishing. I didn't think they were going to bother translating the rest, so even if it's kinda bad, I'll see it through. If I survived Bleach and Bremen, I can make it through anything.

upandaway

A Method to Make a Gentle World v1

Rereading this somewhat quickly to freshen up until I got to where I was before. Manga in general have this really weird thing of treating a curiosity in theoretical science as an "ability" and they're really hammering it in in this one, it's sort of amusing. The author then says in the omake that he doesn't know about the subject himself which uh, yeah I could have guessed that man.

I definitely recommend this to people.

Oh shit, wait, I mean.

Shimanami Tasogare

It's pretty good.

Interesting. So, how is it the story continuing? Do you think it's all going to be the main character's story or it will focus later on other characters? Is it near the end or is still pretty open?

upandaway

A Method to Make a Gentle World c8

I don't know... what kind of silly reaction is that from her mom? And you say that her teacher thought she cheated on THIS test?

p6hqarW.png

Dude teacher-man dude, look. according to you basically anyone who gets a high grade here is cheating by default. there is LITERALLY no alternative way of writing answers here

Zweizer

Banned
Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch66-67 (End)

And thus ends the series, though for Fujiyama and Kanba, their story is just getting started.

It was a pretty enjoyable and relaxing series depicting an ordinary romance free of unnecessary drama, and proves that with the right execution, even banality can make for an entertaining series.

A Method to Make a Gentle World c8

I don't know... what kind of silly reaction is that from her mom? And you say that her teacher thought she cheated on THIS test?

p6hqarW.png

Dude teacher-man dude, look. according to you basically anyone who gets a high grade here is cheating by default. there is LITERALLY no alternative way of writing answers here

The fuck? How is the answer "90 degrees"? Looks at least like 100 to 120 degrees.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Nanatsu no Taizo Sighhhhhh I hate most of these Holy Knights, that said, super glad Gowther is back, or is he??????

Sasahara the Flower Samurai I was not expecting an end so soon, but I guess it works to keep it to one volume. This was really good as a whole, I enjoyed it a lot, art was top notch, looking forward to the author's next work.

Fairy Tail God i thought her outfit wasn't as ridiculous with the cleavage as every other girl, but that freaking low angle shot.

Promised Neverland Continues to be SO FREAKING GOOD! The quality of suspense stories like this hinge on the number of moving pieces that are happening at one and how well efficiently their movements are being shown. And this has so many moving pieces!!! The
idea Mama is secretly raising Emma to be the next mother
is such a god damn good move because it adds a different ending possibility instead of "Get out."

Red Sprite 9

For the first time in a huge while I have a chapter that I think is better then MHA in this week JUMP.

This Red Sprite chapter had everything I could want from epic scenes.

1. that ship drop was amazing, all the details were so perfect.
1371360f5e4cc4df46ce350fca70036e.jpg

2.Tatsu arrival to help Alfred was so epic...I just love him as a character.Those few panels were so good at showing how strong he is.
c5809bc3939d9ea4bff148b19937fa31.jpg

Also it's fun to know that each type of plasmarrow soldier can be stronger depending on their environment and who they are fighting. magnetism(Alfred) where they can basically move metal things at will. Neutral(Tatsu) where they seem to be physically enhance.

Alfred battling those neutral-type in a open field was clearly a bad thing for him since he is a magnetism-plasmarrow and they don't seem that strong physically.

Pretty hype for next week!

mdubs

Banned
Is the time ripe for a Promised Neverland full spoiler OT? Series is getting too real with all these twists, we need to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom