• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm not the one that's cancelling anything that dares look to be interesting. The way Viz are going they're going to have to run Ghost Tits and I imagine they'll sooner cancel the magazine than do that.

They'll likely pick up Yaiba and Haikyuu before they picked up Ghost Tits.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch468

Yes, it would be quite a problem, wouldn't it?

Iinazuke Kyoutei ch34

As expected, it's heading down the harem with Tomo at the top path.

Nooooo Red Sprite! :( it ended even sooner then Iron Knight. Iron knight had a pretty good ending for a cancelled serie tho, which I don't see Red Sprite having with all those other plasmarrow kid missing. Guess it will be a Barrage-like ending.

Looking at the titles in jump/viz right, rwby being the safest new title right now is kind of depressing. Hoping some other series gets a good foothold. I need some other big series to like!

Also Viz's SJ is getting really thin.

Nooooo Red Sprite! :( it ended even sooner then Iron Knight. Iron knight had a pretty good ending for a cancelled serie tho, which I don't see Red Sprite having with all those other plasmarrow kid missing. Guess it will be a Barrage-like ending.

Not sure why you are shocked as its fate has been sealed for some time now.

Admittedly i thought it would have some time to reach the 17-20 range before going but i guess not

Not sure why you are shocked as its fate has been sealed for some time now.

Admittedly i thought it would have some time to reach the 17-20 range before going but i guess not

Shocked I am not, but I am sad...I liked the series a lot, hopefully third time is the charm for the author.

Also last chapter did not lead to a possible ending in the next chapter, hence my reaction.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The Promised Neverland #2? DAMN

--

Speaking of iron knight, I wish it wasn't rushed or it found a monthly mag. It had potential

Looking at the titles in jump/viz right, rwby being the safest new title right now is kind of depressing. Hoping some other series gets a good foothold. I need some other big series to like!

Also Viz's SJ is getting really thin.

Rwby is only safe since its in a monthly magazine and has a popular ip attached, on its own its trash.

Wasn't the last chapter titled Final Battle or something lol

Yeah it was ogre for awhile

cntr

Banned
From what I know, having three Jump series canceled in a row is effectively career-ending, since Jump and other companies will deem you unlikely to make anything popular and profitable. The My Hero Academia author nearly ended up that way.

so yeah, he better pull out all the stops next time

This current arc of Soma is very boring. It completely trivializes what the Elite 10 is when you have people being kicked out of it for being against Asami and being promoted into it (when they have no business being in it) for being with Asami.

Urgh.

But its a good arc, we got Kuga and we can potentially finally get a Sotaku inspired Elite 10 . The payoff will be so worth it.

From what I know, having three Jump series canceled in a row is effectively career-ending, since Jump and other companies will deem you unlikely to make anything popular and profitable. The My Hero Academia author nearly ended up that way.

so yeah, he better pull out all the stops next time
I remember reading something like that when Mx0 got cancelled coming off Pretty Face and people were worried about Yasuhiro's career, but then the same happened to Kagami no Kuni yet he's still under Shueisha on Jump+

cntr

Banned
Mx0 was a bit weird, since it wasn't unpopular in the same way something like Red Sprite is, there was a cult following. Bakuman even talks about it.

So Yasuhiro probably got an easier deal.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally caught up with My Hero Academia after starting it a long time ago and never getting far. Not a bad manga by any means but does seem a bit overhyped now that I've finally read it. All Might is great though but not as much a fan of a lot of the kids and the villains are more often miss than hit.

Tower of God

So we finally get more info on those rings and why those 2 have them.

I wonder if Jinsung realizes though.

Also don't care about this death thing because i doubt they are (its Rak and Fire Girl for god's sake)

Corpse Party: Another Child 13
qaFILLg.jpg
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE. It's been 2 years since the last release, but only 4 months since I picked this up so I can still vaguely remember what's happening. Finding the last body part felt too convenient, but the kids are largely just a side show to Saki in this variant of the story so it's fine. Speaking of whom, there aren't many chapters left so she needs to rematerialise soon.

Kyuur

Demon's Plan 1

Art is not great and much like Red Sprite the first chapter felt like an incredibly rushed one-shot instead of the beginning of a series. My guess is cancelled in <30 chapters.

Fbh

Demon's Plan 1

I have to disagree with most people that commented on it. This was really really bland.
I mean yeah it's the first chapter and of course I will give it a chance. But this couldn't have been more generic even if it tried to, it went through almost every cliche within those 50 pages: 2 very close friends, they get superpowers (from a mysterious character no less), one of them, the nicer and quieter one, turns kinda evil (or rather does bad things from some twisted personal views), "power to protect", the world is bad and the people that seemed nice are also bad, etc, etc.

Even at chapter 1 most of their recent popular mangas have had some uniqueness to them. My Hero Academia had the whole comic inspired superhero concept, promised neverland has a unique setting, Soma is about cooking and food, Assassination Classroom is about students trying to kill their teacher. Wasn't there some anime/manga about vampires that was semi popular some months ago that was pretty much the same as this? (at least that one had the vampire setting to set it apart)

Demons Plan is... a shonen... about shonen stuff

Demon's Plan 1

I have to disagree with most people that commented on it. This was really really bland.
I mean yeah it's the first chapter and of course I will give it a chance. But this couldn't have been more generic even if it tried to, it went through almost every cliche within those 50 pages: 2 very close friends, they get superpowers (from a mysterious character no less), one of them, the nicer and quieter one, turns kinda evil (or rather does bad things from some twisted personal views), "power to protect", the world is bad and the people that seemed nice are also bad, etc, etc.

Even at chapter 1 most of their recent popular mangas have had some uniqueness to them. My Hero Academia had the whole comic inspired superhero concept, promised neverland has a unique setting, Soma is about cooking and food, Assassination Classroom is about students trying to kill their teacher. Wasn't there some anime/manga about vampires that was semi popular some months ago that was pretty much the same as this? (at least that one had the vampire setting to set it apart)

Demons Plan is... a shonen... about shonen stuff

Seraph of the End? The execution of that was radically different outside of the very basic brash/rude lead and timid/kind secondary lead.

Verelios

Mx0 was a bit weird, since it wasn't unpopular in the same way something like Red Sprite is, there was a cult following. Bakuman even talks about it.

So Yasuhiro probably got an easier deal.
I would totally give blood to the blood god if I could see my man work his way up. Mx0 died too early, easily a 200 chapter series, at least all 3 years of HS and a lot of plot threads ended up unfinished (remember the cursed land awakening? No? Yep)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 234

Laughed hard at Meiko kicking Risa away like trash.

That disrespect for Doggo ain't right though, man.

jonjonaug

Good haul of new releases today with Nozaki-kun volume 5, School Live volume 5, and Galko volume 1.

Re-reading volume 5 of School Live is making me angry at the anime all over again. It's so damn good.

There is some decent stuff in Weeky Young Jump that would fit in fine with the Viz's SJ. I assume the majority of subscribers to VSJ are adults? Uratarou would be a great addition. It's currently my fav new manga right now.

Uratarou is really shonen? Huh. I don't really pay attention to that stuff so that surprises me. It shouldn't, but it's a bit more violent than a lot of shonen so I was unsure.

The Crawling City 1+2

Hrm. Cute little webcomic/4koma...thingy? I dunno if this is even Japanese. About a girl who lives with an eldritch tentacle monster. Pretty cute SoL style stuff except it's...off. Like, their interactions are relatively normal but the more you look at what's happening the more weird everything seems. Why does she live in a clock tower? When they go to the beach, why is there waste and garbage everywhere? When they go trick or treating is that really a guy inviting kids into his house to kill them with a broken bottle in the last frame? Shit like that. It has it's moments of horror but most of it is off-screen, implied or otherwise not focused on so it just makes the world they live in seem really dark and messed up while they go about their lives. Some messed up stuff comes close to happening a couple times to Aria but...well...Gug is there so...

I dunno. I like the artwork a lot and it's just disturbing fluff so it's fine for now. Dunno how long you can continue that feeling though without it wearing out.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Good haul of new releases today with Nozaki-kun volume 5, School Live volume 5, and Galko volume 1.

Re-reading volume 5 of School Live is making me angry at the anime all over again. It's so damn good.

Kind of want Galko-chan but it doesn't look like there's a digital release. I guess I can order the book but eh.

ubique

I've been out of the loop for a while, all I read is Berserk when it comes out, so I decided to check some stuff out

Planetes

I liked the chapters that focused on the main characters and their internal struggles while they worked their mundane ass space jobs. Whenever it attempted to show things of a larger scale, I couldn't believe how goofy it got

The terrorist stuff was laughable (sometimes on purpose I guess) and the space war plot in the last few volumes, which features KFC's Colonel Sanders as a character, comes out of nowhere and, well, it's impossible to have any opinion about it other than "war is bad" because it's just cartoony and vague. I dunno, that's probably the whole point, but it kinda hampered my enjoyment. I didn't need to see machine guns being fired and the military manipulating footage of the main characters on TV in my space garbage men manga

So basically my favorite chapter is the first one by far and my least favorite chapter is the one where KFC's Colonel Sanders is introduced to the reader

Kieli

Tomo-chan

This is getting annoying.

Was boring after the first 100 chapters. Jun is an alpha-asshole who can't fucking make up his mind. You either confess and get a relationship started, or get the fuck out of other people's way.

Edit: I'd subscribe to Harta. Shame it'd never sell in North America.

Uratarou is really shonen? Huh. I don't really pay attention to that stuff so that surprises me. It shouldn't, but it's a bit more violent than a lot of shonen so I was unsure.

I guess it's officially seinen since it is in young jump but it's no more gory then say Bleach ever was at it's worse. But my point is that VSJ doesn't need to stick to just showing shonen since the audience is probably a lot older then tween age that wsj is targeted to.

Conan-san

Demons Plan
Droll, boring, pretentious as all hell (Lookit the rich people fucking the poor and the Cops being fuckwits oh and when the guy lashes out it's somehow all HIS fault and our hero is the moderate! Spare me the Xavier and Magneto act, comic) It's going to run like a million chapters, isn't it?

RWBY
Huh. I thought it was kept ambiguous how Weiss got her scar.

Red Sprite
Now here's how you establish esclating threat. You introduce FOEs for the party to fight and win against. But the comic's cancelled so who cares.

Seriously if the GNs weren't as slow coming (or indeed non guaranteed) as they are I'd dump this tire fire of a magazine like the editorial clusterfuck it is.

That or it can pick up PokeSpec. That will pretty much grantee my loyalty forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom