• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

Out of curiosity, why is a character represented as a pc monitor

It's actually meant to be a dialog box that was supposed to display an image of the character generated within it.. but I couldn't find a visually consistent set of free to use sprites on the internet for all of the characters in the database. :/

Boogiepop

So, general question first: Is there any particularly good resource for keeping track of Japanese print editions of manga? Like, what's out there and what each edition contains? I've largely gotten by just through going at sets through Amazon.jp (and occasionally using Japanese wiki for digging deeper), but it would be nice to have something a little more convenient and comprehensive, if such a resource exists.

For the specific: How's Prince of Tennis, as far as the hierarchy of sports manga go? Trying to decide if it's worth adding to my backlog, as it's the "big" one that I haven't touched at all (at least of what came out in English in some form, I guess, since I know there are a few longer ones that are Japan exclusive that I haven't looked into too thoroughly). And similarly, are the Kanzenban worth the extra effort/money? I've actually not really messed with kanzenban before, just your usual tankoubon and your occasional bunkoban (which is a format I've actually really liked, at least for the releases I've got in that style). For that matter, did Viz screw up much, or is there version largely fine? (I normally do stick with English releases where applicable just for ease of use, but in this case I'm going to have to flip over eventually anyway for the "New Prince of Tennis" stuff or whatever, so I'm kind of thinking consistency may not be a bad plan. And honestly my Japanese has gotten to the point where, at least when there are furigana, it's not much worse than my English reading. Though my kanji still needs some tightening up, so I'd consider it more notable of an effort without them).

Then again, I'm guessing most of this isn't super applicable to a lot of folks in here, so I guess the tldr is: how's Prince of Tennis?

Edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone else have a truly monstrous physical manga collection? I believe my English language book count is around ~2100 books, and then I've got an additional 5-600 or so Japanese language volumes, if I had to guess. And then a decently sizable amount of American comic collections too... (Sadly though, much of it has to live boxed away, at least until I can get a proper house of my own to work with...)

Cizard

Then again, I'm guessing most of this isn't super applicable to a lot of folks in here, so I guess the tldr is: how's Prince of Tennis?

Edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone else have a truly monstrous physical manga collection? I believe my English language book count is around ~2100 books, and then I've got an additional 5-600 or so Japanese language volumes, if I had to guess. And then a decently sizable amount of American comic collections too... (Sadly though, much of it has to live boxed away, at least until I can get a proper house of my own to work with...)

Prince of tennis was alright. It's a fun read but it gets quite silly later on with the "powers" they get. Not sure if it gets worse or better in the new prince of tennis as I've not read it. As far as I know Viz hasn't started new prince of tennis yet so if you want consistency japanese is your only option. I didn't have any complaints about their release but it's been a few years since I read it.

My english manga collection was quite big (though not so much anymore as I sold quite bit). Not sure if it was anywhere near yours though especially if you add the japanese vols you have. I kinda stopped caring as it became rather unwieldy and sold off my unfinished stuff and some complete series (still got quite a lot but probably less than 500 vols at this point).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

So basically it's "not" Fuuka 1.0, its a girl who looks just like Fuuka, acts just like Fuuka, and has the exact same personality as Fuuka. Fuuka 1.1 shall we say.

I'm still guessing she just has amnesia or some bullshit and Yamato/Suzuka hid it because the doctors told them she'd never get her memory back.

We've finally hit the SEO-SAMA quotient.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada

Fucking finally we went back to stuff with Shiraishi in it and also witch stuff instead of just Yamada studying.

Zweizer

Banned
So, general question first: Is there any particularly good resource for keeping track of Japanese print editions of manga? Like, what's out there and what each edition contains? I've largely gotten by just through going at sets through Amazon.jp (and occasionally using Japanese wiki for digging deeper), but it would be nice to have something a little more convenient and comprehensive, if such a resource exists.

For the specific: How's Prince of Tennis, as far as the hierarchy of sports manga go? Trying to decide if it's worth adding to my backlog, as it's the "big" one that I haven't touched at all (at least of what came out in English in some form, I guess, since I know there are a few longer ones that are Japan exclusive that I haven't looked into too thoroughly). And similarly, are the Kanzenban worth the extra effort/money? I've actually not really messed with kanzenban before, just your usual tankoubon and your occasional bunkoban (which is a format I've actually really liked, at least for the releases I've got in that style). For that matter, did Viz screw up much, or is there version largely fine? (I normally do stick with English releases where applicable just for ease of use, but in this case I'm going to have to flip over eventually anyway for the "New Prince of Tennis" stuff or whatever, so I'm kind of thinking consistency may not be a bad plan. And honestly my Japanese has gotten to the point where, at least when there are furigana, it's not much worse than my English reading. Though my kanji still needs some tightening up, so I'd consider it more notable of an effort without them).

Mangaupdates is a pretty good database for keeping track of books it I think.

As for truly impressive collections, Lain's is definitely a contender:

I wish I could get arsed to add the English manga volumes I own to the count. Even exporting the Italian volumes from the website I use to keep track was annoying.

I'm at 6463 volumes just for the Italian releases.

Still baffles me how you folks manage to find space for all these books.

Boogiepop

Prince of tennis was alright. It's a fun read but it gets quite silly later on with the "powers" they get. Not sure if it gets worse or better in the new prince of tennis as I've not read it. As far as I know Viz hasn't started new prince of tennis yet so if you want consistency japanese is your only option. I didn't have any complaints about their release but it's been a few years since I read it.

My english manga collection was quite big (though not so much anymore as I sold quite bit). Not sure if it was anywhere near yours though especially if you add the japanese vols you have. I kinda stopped caring as it became rather unwieldy and sold off my unfinished stuff and some complete series (still got quite a lot but probably less than 500 vols at this point).

Mangaupdates is a pretty good database for keeping track of books it I think.

As for truly impressive collections, Lain's is definitely a contender:

Still baffles me how you folks manage to find space for all these books.

Thanks, guys. And yeah, space is a serious, serious issue. I really wish I didn't have to resort to it, but the answer has unfortunately long since been just boxing stuff up and having to choose what gets to stay up "on display" or whatever. In theory I totally should consider downsizing, but my tastes are so varied/standards so low that there's actually very little in my collection that I can look at and be like "yeah, I wouldn't miss that much, so I guess I can sell it".

ubique

Parasyte

I read all of Parasyte these past two weeks. Really enjoyed it up until the second-to-last volume, where it sort of started teaching me about life on Earth and how I should recycle or something, and then a big generic monster showed up to be the villain and we hardly spent time with the protagonist's body horror anxiety anymore

Pretty fun, but I don't think I want to read Historie

umisho 105 - 108

lol, I guess thats one way to get club members.
Well, some people sure aren't happy about Amuro's brother showing up.

Nanashi no Asterism 5

Don't think that date is enough for Tsukasa to change her mind about Washio

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 152
sTJCrCM.png
Is this the weirdest Yoko has been? I think it's up there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
lol, well I guess thats something to look forward to. There's only like 20 chapters left anyway.

jitsu wa watashi wa 152

Oh the misunderstandings, this is why you need to just say what you want.

The fact that the mosquito was Akane in disguise is what killed me though.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 152

OK, that "ca-caught ya!" page was seriously cute.

Dumbpire still needs to work on her mating dance game though.

vareon

For the first time ever I'm convinced that OMK's artist and Straighten Up's artist is the same. There was like no trace of OMK's drawing in Straighten Up lol, even though I read it because it's by the same artist.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
For the first time ever I'm convinced that OMK's artist and Straighten Up's artist is the same. There was like no trace of OMK's drawing in Straighten Up lol, even though I read it because it's by the same artist.

I did not know that and kind of flipped my shit when I read your post. That's... they're such different stories, oh wow... Straighten Up has just shot up to the top of my to read list now.

spiritfox

Jitsu wa 152

There's something interesting to be said about traditional gender roles in Japan and how this chapter subverts them brilliantly, but all I can think about is this stupid mosquito bite I have right now.

Dungeon Meshi 30

I hope we get to see more about the overworld and it's politics. I wonder if we'll get any new (or returning) members to the crew.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch152

So young yet so bold~

Good thing someone's always there to push them forward.

Opapagoto ch6

No choice but to be all together in it. Good thing she has an understanding family.

Such a scary yet caring wife.

Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san ch22

Even at the pool; they're still the same.

Tejina Senpai ch38

Assistant went through it surprisingly unscathed.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch86

Nothing like figures to make allies.

Zweizer

Banned
Koe de Oshigoto! ch59-60

And thus it ends, on a relatively typical romance note with a bright future.

However, while the romance and closure aspects were pretty by-the-books, the series itself was a pretty refreshing take on the adult video games industry in general and voice acting in particular, and one can appreciate its relatively unfiltered discussions about the merits of erotica. An enjoyable read, be it for the smut, or for what lies below.

So I just finished the 6 volumes of Biomega, I LOVED the art, but damn when the earth became that giant thing, the story confused me so much lol. Popping out names I did not see for like 2 volumes and think I can remember them.

Still I enjoyed it.

Thanks, I own the first 2 books but I want the cool box so thought may as well just buy this instead of getting the rest individually.

It regularly goes on sale so if you're not thirsting for it fierce you can easily get it for $40. Not like it's not worth it's actual price but if you can get it for cheaper, why not?

That said it's pretty fucking incredible.

So I just finished the 6 volumes of Biomega, I LOVED the art, but damn when the earth became that giant thing, the story confused me so much lol. Popping out names I did not see for like 2 volumes and think I can remember them.

Still I enjoyed it.

Have you read BLAME! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom