• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Kokou no Hito ~58
k5hej10.jpg
user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png

Somehow my climbing manga turned to stalker issues drama. For a moment there, I really thought his actual reason for climbing K2 was to escape from that. lol

G.ZZZ

I would argue that several characters have made the main character irrelevant, not that he has become more important.

Made irrilevant because for some reasons the main char has already now , not 1, but maybe 2 Demons (blues and wings) stronger than the supposed "final boss" (neo). This is a char that had a fast, steady growth up until i'd say the gourmet world happened, where suddendly a lot of old "strong chars" were offed up absurdly fast (the supposed 2nd strongest of the I.G.O.? All of a sudden dumb fodder dies in 1 page. All the chefs of the bishokukai that should be stronger than Star? Offed in 3 panels not even a page. Knocking Master Jirou, the arguably strongest man in the world? Offed in one chapter to hype the enemy that we know is still below the demons of the main char).

The manga strenght was its ability to have tons of different characters of different strenght, several eclipising the main, and seeing the main move up slowly the stairs of powers, with good harsh fights and steady poweruppings. Kuromado? Grimmjow? Niceny? Zaus? Mansam? All characters that were hyped a lot and basically were made irrilevant off-page. Now Jirou and soon Midora. Teppei was another that basically disappeared, but is completely irrilevant by now since anything below Midora is useless. There was a sense of wonder of knowing the goals that had to be surpassed, but then? You were always excited to see one of those chars enter the stage, because it made you know that shit was about to get real, and that bloody fights were the main could lose or win were ahead. That excitment is completely gone by now. Char will win and get absurd powerups, like getting 10x times as stronger in the same chapters ***** hell, because the manga has to end fast.

We passed from nuke-level of power to the ability to destroy the earth several times over in what, 100 chapters? What the fuck. The human world was 270 chapters, and the gourmet world, hyped to no end, has basically been skipped and done in 100 chapters. If you want to end it just be done with it, don't ruin it with the worst pacing imaginable. The Human world could've been done easily with 50-60 less chapters, but the Gourmet world absolutely needed more exposure, and many characters needed not to be offed in short panels. There are some good chapters here and there but then sometimes i go read the first arcs, ice hell arc, regal mammoth, the first gourmet world exposure etc... and it feel so fucking bad. Toriko should've had HxH fate of going in permanent hiatus or just interrupted not this torture.

EDIT: not to talk about all the fights with the beasts , the capture levels that gave you all the illusion of a coherent structure. Now even the strongest beast have been made irrilevant and we skipped fights with 4k beasts that were on Jirou's full course and had tons of hype, as well as skipping completely Jirou's full course items like some fodder shit. Not only that but the main protag that was extremely aware of the strenght of his enemies in the beginning (see vs Star GT-robot) is now a dumb idiot that think honestly that can challenge beasts that fodderize him in half a panel only to be saved by a deus ex-machina that at the same time power him up like 20 times.

It's as if i was reading HxH and all of sudden it become Fairy Tail but where all my favorite secondary characters die because the manga has to end fast. It's awful.

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko - 367

Wow what a chapter, so good that before even finishing it entirely i re-read the first pages... i freaking love this manga man...

Also MangaGaf help me because i'm fairly sure that there's a Part 1 or Part 2 Jojo panel that is extremely similar to this one (battle tendency probably because of the smugness)

Shokugeki spoilers

lmao Azami's aim is so comically I AM EVIL; he wants to close down every restaurant that doesn't meet his standards including regular random poor people restaurants (he mentions the Stagiare restaurant). Because I'm sure the local deli is going to close down because the director of some cooking school demanded it. This is a absurdly nonsensical goal and for some reason Erina and Hisako aren't stopping Soma which is dumb because he's going to lose. Tsukuda please avoid the shark because this is heading right for it.

I haven't even read the chapter, so dont know if this even requires a spoiler tag. But anyway, I think this manga need to just go back to being about cooking competitions and stuff like it was before. I know you eventually run out of ideas for battling agains one another, but some super evil dude with some world domination like goals is just silly in a manga like this.

Akainu

Nice to have that good old fashioned hunter x hunter exposition. Sucks about the new hiatus. See you guys in the next two years.

Toriko - 367

what a douche.... so Acacia taught him knocking so that he can use it against him as a Trump card one day

never learn knocking kiddies

hopefully Midora fucking wrecks shit once and for all (if we are going the rushed ending route due to sales)

So the theory of Joa actually being Frozhe's body is true... I guess that means the Frozhe is the gourmet spirit with Komatsu

rrvv

Tonnura-san 22

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Shokugeki spoilers

lmao Azami's aim is so comically I AM EVIL; he wants to close down every restaurant that doesn't meet his standards including regular random poor people restaurants (he mentions the Stagiare restaurant). Because I'm sure the local deli is going to close down because the director of some cooking school demanded it. This is a absurdly nonsensical goal and for some reason Erina and Hisako aren't stopping Soma which is dumb because he's going to lose. Tsukuda please avoid the shark because this is heading right for it.

rip mcdonald and KFC

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Shokugeki spoilers

i mean it sounds right in line with the rest of this stupid arc, it seriously killed my interest in the series

jbug617

Banned
Soma Spoilers

Tsukasa made Hisako foodgasm just on the smell of his food and Erina was on the edge. Soma about to get bodied.

bigkrev

So, based on my question about how Japanese readers could read the HxH chapters, I installed the Jump app and accidentally bought this weeks issue (I don't have "ask for a password every time" enabled for my JPN account and had 500 yen on it). There are some... really lewd series running in it right now

There is a series called Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san which I have never heard of, and apparently no one is translating. Here is a "tame" picture from it

And here is one I don't feel comfortable posting here, so here is a link to my tweet about it (if people think it's safe to post, let me know and i'll put it here)
https://twitter.com/skrefetz/status/720777430496124928

I wasn't expecting something like this in a kids magazine!

Summary of said series for those curious since I had never heard of it

Fuyuzora Kogarashi has spirit abilities, and has been possessed by ghosts since he was a kid. This has caused a lot of trouble in his life, but now he has learned to fight back against the evil spirits! Unfortunately, he's now also very poor, homeless, and hoping for a happier, more normal, high school life. In his search for housing, he's introduced to a very cheap boarding house called Yuragi-sou, which was formerly a popular hot springs inn. It's so cheap because the house is haunted by the spirit of a high school student whose corpse was found there.

Kogarashi doesn't think this is going to be a problem for him, and the rest of the house's tenants appear to be sexy women. While relaxing in the hot springs, though, he finds there is an issue with his ghost-banishing plan; Yuragi-sou's ghost is a 16-year-old girl named Yuna, who lives in his room. Kogarashi has no desire to hurt a ghost girl, and instead he ends up agreeing to help her to figure out her unfinished business. That way, she can move onto the afterlife before turning evil and falling into hell. Once it is clear that he is fine with Yuna, the other tenants reveal their own supernatural secrets--his life in Yuragi-sou is going to be far from ordinary!

rrvv

So, based on my question about how Japanese readers could read the HxH chapters, I installed the Jump app and accidentally bought this weeks issue (I don't have "ask for a password every time" enabled for my JPN account and had 500 yen on it). There are some... really lewd series running in it right now

There is a series called Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san which I have never heard of, and apparently no one is translating. Here is a "tame" picture from it

And here is one I don't feel comfortable posting here, so here is a link to my tweet about it (if people think it's safe to post, let me know and i'll put it here)

Tosh actually help Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san as assistant. The main girl makes cameo in Souma

Revo

Divine Bells 128

Geez, even more innocent people are being killed now. Helping him at this point really is unforgivable.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tosh actually help Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san as assistant. The main girl makes cameo in Souma

Eoah, neat.

Same magazine that publish ichigo100% and to love ru, so yeah...

Togash to cosmicblizzard: Then I guess you don't want any more hunter x hunter chapters? Because I hear there's a new dragon quest game releasing........

lol, I don't consider HxH the end all be all of shounen like some people do. I just want the damn Phantom Troupe plot point resolved and then I don't care what happens to the series. The hiatuses haven't been anywhere near as painful for me because of that.

Toriko

Finally I was wondering if Acacia was actually evil the entire time or if NEO had just "recently" corrupted him. I remember when it was revealed he only gave GOD to the leaders of nations and not everyone like formely assumed that I felt he seeemed very suspect.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter x Hunter 350

I need to reread a few arcs, it has been ages and I barely remember what is going on anymore.

Revo

Adventure of Sinbad 97-99

Glad both refused the fight to the death. This guy seems like an asshole though.
And no way he dies

Toriko

Wow, that was a cheap way to get rid of Jiro...It seems like Jiro was doing better than Don Slime (a side dish, nothing more). It was pretty funny actually. Accacia being evil doesn't surprise me. I wonder how many chapters we have got for Toriko to face Neo and finally defeat him?

Can someone remind me who Stelly was? Was he Sabo's Stepbrother?

I found that flashback arc very boring so I never bothered remembering anyone except Sabo.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch303

Wow, you're not that bad, Tomo!

Yandere Kanojo

Thus concludes Misaki's story. That's the best ending they could have hoped to achieve I guess.

phaze

I loved the art but
I was the opposite, I didn't like that very sudden shift in the story, pace and atmosphere ( mostly when it comes to the other characters ).

Huh, interesting. I wasn't very fond of it cause, I thought the characters were too stereotypical (your delinquent guy, your introverted guy, the obligatory girl who cares for them), there weren't any proper mountains to climb (which only now I can see how much I longed for ) and Mori's characterisation and the underlying themes were hammered down onto me with the subtlety of a ... hmmm hammer. I mean, it's still very much wearing those on its sleeve but either I got used to it or it got better in that regard.

Kokou no Hito ~60

Mori's guide to dealing with stalkers:

1. Find your TV pilot.
2. Press the ZA WARUDO ! button.
3. Calmly write down everything you want to say to your stalker.
4. Throw her down the stairs.
5. ...
6. ?
7. Voila !

There apparently exists something, at least in English terminology, as Japanese Alps. It took me a while to understand that they didn't go to Europe and that it wasn't just a translation error.

Arabesque

Somewhat related, but that's precisely why I have it it set up on my iDevices to always require my password unless the item is free, and never used Touch ID because I feared I would've bought half the store by accident lol

I guess I'll ask then: What do you think of the app so far? And the issue in general and it presentation?

Check out some of the digital titles?

I was aware of the series, since Viz made the choice, much like they did with Lady Justice, and not do a Jump Start for it, and having checked the first chapter I immediately understood the why. It's a lot of fanservice and smut that their readership wouldn't have liked, and I doubt they could've have gotten away with adding it on the US store.

Jump's demographics are always a little misleading, since the magazine had been publishing stuff that is unsuitable for kids since the 80's, and a lot of its popular romcom's tend to have really erotic elements in them. Which makes Nisekoi's success a little odd, since it's much tamer than its predecessors.

He congratulated him when he first started serialisation too

Revo

Hinamatsuri 51-52

Alright I didn't expect her to have 3 kids and a fourth on the way.
And poor cafe owner, changing the entire business to be around Hina and then she just ups and leaves. I wouldn't expect anything different than that from Hina, though.

Quasar

I'm probably last to know this, but I just noticed that Comixology is now selling volumes of Nana to Kaoru. Volumes 1-8.

Huzzah.

Now all I need is black label.

EDIT: I take that back. Its only the german version. Doh. Now to see if I can get a refund out of Comixology.

bigkrev

Somewhat related, but that's precisely why I have it it set up on my iDevices to always require my password unless the item is free, and never used Touch ID because I feared I would've bought half the store by accident lol

I guess I'll ask then: What do you think of the app so far? And the issue in general and it presentation?

Check out some of the digital titles?

The app has some issues. I don't think it allows you to actually download anything, only stream- which means you get buffering if you are turning pages too quickly, and especially if you want to go back a page.

Lain

since dakku reminded me I had it, I decided to go ahead and read it.

Gangsta Cursed Episode Marco Adriano vol 1

Gangsta is pretty grim, violent and bloody as it is. The last few volumes especially raised that level once the Hunter squad came to the city of Ergastolum.
This side story looks at that squad when they first set foot in Ergastulum to kill the Twilights and anyone defending them many years before, when Marco wasn't yet called Marco. When Constance still had a family.

The book focuses on the mess the Hunter go around doing in the city, killing any Twilight in their path in the most bloody ways possible, no matter if they are little kids, women, old geezers.
As a set up to show how and why Marco, then Spas, left the group and from a monster became the man we got to know I guess it does it's job well, putting in some hints I don't remember mentioned in the main series (who's Abel?).
I did feel a little bit of disappointment in not being shown the reason these Hunters would keep going around dismembering defenseless people while claiming these people to be monsters, shit, trash etc. Conditioning? Bad shit that happened to them? Mental illness being exploited? Drug abuse (since they do make use of drugs to be able to fight)? At the end of the day, the Hunters come up as a group of psychopaths that do what they do because they enjoy killing (or just because it pays well, like the pyro dude).

The end of the first volume already has me imagining the first thing expect to see happen in the next one (of which one scene was shown as a quick flashback) and I'm sure it'll hurt.

dani_dc

Kokou no Hito ~58

Somehow my climbing manga turned to stalker issues drama. For a moment there, I really thought his actual reason for climbing K2 was to escape from that. lol

I remember nothing of stalking in this one, what was the context?

Toriko - 367

Wow what a chapter, so good that before even finishing it entirely i re-read the first pages... i freaking love this manga man...

Also MangaGaf help me because i'm fairly sure that there's a Part 1 or Part 2 Jojo panel that is extremely similar to this one (battle tendency probably because of the smugness)
That reminds me more of Josuke than either part 1 or 2.
Probably the hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom