• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

Anyone else feel that Hunter X Hunter has the tendency to over-explain? I'm getting caught up on the new arc and all this dialogue for them preparing to go into the new world just seems so unnecessary.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone else feel that Hunter X Hunter has the tendency to over-explain? I'm getting caught up on the new arc and all this dialogue for them preparing to go into the new world just seems so unnecessary.

There's people who still don't get how Haki works in One Piece and it's simple as shit. With some of the stuff Togashi's dealing with, and his sporadic schedule, he's better off over-explaining so no one misses the point.

Revo

Zetsuen no Tempest 43

And with that the tree is dead.
Good that Yoshino got punched in the end. Totally deserved it.

dr labson

Neo Member
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Little Jolyne Goes to Morioh

Kid Jolyne is so fucking adorable. This doujinshi made me wish Jolyne visited Morioh at some point in part 4.
Would have been nice to see her as a child before she grew up into an criminal.
Could have been weirder though, it would have made the doujin more authentic.

Soma 163

Yeah, Azami and his plan are ridiculous. I'll be glad when he's gone and we can move on. Although I'm sure that wont be for a very long time.

dani_dc

Himegoto 66

So he was raped by a man before?
That's pretty unexpected.

The disheveled girl (forgot her name) was very obstinate towards Mori. To the point of taking his apartment as hers.

That sounds familiar though I can't say I recall the details well, maybe I should reread this at some point.

It's unnecessary for the strict advancement of the plot, it's necessary to have fun with the manga. The heavy dialogue approach where we see all the complex thought process of the characters to trap the spies of a faction, or to guess and counterguess the actions of another character, all the mind games in general, it's a big part of the fun of HxH.

dani_dc

I am a Hero in Osaka 1-End

This completely missed the mark, it's devoided of everything that makes the original series worth reading.
There's no subtly or depth to any of the characters, every character is motivated by romantic situations, and the main protagonists are basically portrait as "normal people that always get the situation work out for them", which extends to the ending of the manga where the main guy appears in a motorcycle to save his girlfriend in the nick of time (despite having no way of knowing her location besides "airport"), even running over the guy (now a zombie) that tried to rape his girlfriend before, somehow, escaping from the airport into the sunrise and asking his girlfriend to marry him. All while carrying a baby that he saved.

There was no real struggle to survive, no deeper human elements going on, it was basically like reading a script of generic zombie movie.

It's a short read and while not awful, it's also has no particular qualities.
Do not bother reading it if you're looking for more of "I am hero"
I'd recommend it only if you feel like watching a generic zombie story but don't want to spend more than 20 minutes on it.

Revo

Mahoutsukai no Yome 26-27

Damn, didn't think alice's background would be so dark.
Glad both are in better places now.

Zweizer

Banned
Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan ch7

7MJYmRS.png

Huh, never heard of these before.

Aw, c'mon!

phaze

I remember nothing of stalking in this one, what was the context?

There was a woman at his working place, who seemed to have took liking to him, started following him, giving him a bento, even literally forcing a date at a restaurant. Later it's revealed that she was bed buddies with the current manager of that working place and as Mori (somehow) was supposed to get a promotion to that position, she tried to carve a similar relationship with him. The funniest thing is that after the long mountain climbing arc and a timeskip, they show you a very similar, pregnant character in Mori's apartment, making you think he actually got it on with her.

At least at chapter 107, I seem to have finally met a genuinely sympathetic female character. Not that there is an abundance of that sort of figures on the male side.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch. 303-304

How surprising, neither of them are doing well in school.

Revo

Boku dake ga inai machi 36-44 (end)

While the mystery part of this series never had me, I was always so willing to go into the story and watch everything happen.
I initially felt swerved at the coma stuff, the follow through worked well for me and the conclusion didn't miss any notes either.
Definitely a good series.

Zweizer

Banned
The Ancient Magus' Bride ch28

Who wouldn't want cookies?

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch23

T-Rex out of fucking nowhere!

Firo power-up incoming I guess.

Yeah, Shokugeki no Soma is losing me. Sold my volumes last week on eBay.

Started reading Barakamon v9 and the series continues to be hilarious.

Droplet

Otouto no Otto 16

Can anything get me to tear up a little faster than people talking about family? I don't think so.

Dungeon Meshi 23

The question is slowly becoming whether they eat the dragon with the sister inside or outside.

Arabesque

I figured since it will be Monday soon, it's best to download the older issues and re-read them to brush up and remember details I might have forgotten.

The result was somewhat mixed. Turns out I remembered a lot of what happened, while also needing to clarify a few things through my re-read of the series because turns out I was confusing some revelations and theories with what was actually said more than a year ago.

But what caught my attention was how much Togashi's writing had changed from the end of the Chimera ant arc, which had been very narrative heavy through the third person, into this arc, which is very exposition heavy through the cast themselves

It's not a bad thing by any means, since the information Togashi has the characters reveal is relevant and interesting. A lot of it is world building and setting benchmarks for the level of danger they will be encountering and needing to avoide while on journey to the "New World" and then into the actual new world, as well as the politics of the major powers and different players who will all board the Black Whale for the next 2 months in story.

I won't get into the whole V5 becoming the V6 and the whole politick behined the reason why they are approving of the trip while also refusing to journey officially there, but it makes sense within the confines of the story and is justified nicely enough. I guess it just goes to show how much of great importance this trip will be given the dangers and scale associated with it, but I wish Togashi had cut down a little on the dialogue haha

Regarding the five calamities, I appreciate that we learned of them and they are very intriguing (in particular, the theory about Aluka and Nanika being related to Ai and whatever Zigg Zoldyck brought with him on the trip with Netero) and they each seem terrifying in their own right. It's interesting as well that aside form Nanika, a Pap descendant seems to also be hanging around in the human world officially (though it's unknown where its residing) while the other 3 are possibly messing elsewhere? Regardless, I look forward to what Togashi manages to think of for a new calamity.

Obviously, a lot of this is going to be set in a battle royal between the next King of , while also a game of hunter and hunted against Beyond's group and the Zodiacs, so that's where the majority of the intrigue will be coming from.

On Beyond's side, since he's gone and got himself willingly captured by the Hunter Association in order to have them dragged into this voyage, it's a push and pull between Parriston and Ging in who can be the top dog now. And a lot of it strikes me as good when it remains like that.

Can't say the same about the rest of Ging's interaction with the remainder of the group sadly

See, this is an example I remember some people having a problem with, and having re-read the start of this arc again, I can wholeheartedly agree there is an issue here.

Apparently this guy, who we don't learn his name yet, has a sister who's deathly ill, and the only hospital that she can get cured in is in so much debt that it would've taken him three lifetimes and becoming a hunter every time, selling his license at maximum price, and it would still not been enough to pay for the hospital's debt. The fuck?

For as fantastical as Hunter X Hunter can be, and it is undoubtedly, this might seem like a small gripe to have. However, given that we are constantly bombarded with information about so much of the nitty gritty of the cast and situations they are in, we could at least learn about what sort of circumstances lead to a hospital to end up with such an astronomical amount of debt. And how Ging managed to not only get enough money to pay it off, but also pay everyone else off in Beyond's party.

This is an issue because we also learn of organisations like The International Environment Agency and the Norwell Fund, who while we don't go into them as much, still get blurbs about what they do and how they function.

But I guess we need to also talk about how convoluted that entire episode was

The entire reason Ging fabricated the entire situation and conflict was because he wanted to get competitive with the rest of the group in order to be closer with them all in the end and be accepted as one of the crew. That was the end goal.

How he got there was by giving the implication that he could buy them off, knowing that this would create a conflict that he could then use to his advantage in getting closer to them once the bad air cleared.

That the entire crux of this mess.

I guess I'll hand Togashi this, I now understand that what should have been a straight forward progression had to be made so complex for the sake of further down the story a conflict in command to arise, since now Ging is technically under command of Muherr while also sharing positions with Parriston.

That said, it was an unnecessary amount of exposition given to this development, and would've been much better spread out over the course of the set up.

Thankfully, the Zodiac/Hunter Association and the Prince's side fared much better in the presentation in those early chapters.

bobohoro

Toyko Ghoul:re 73

That had to hurt.
So Arima is still well beyond reach. I don't see this ending well without some accidental rescue.

Arabesque

The D.Gray-Man Hollow anime staff sure do know their target demographic

haha Lenalee

D.Gray-Man - 222

He's ALIVE!!!

I sort of knew he had to be given the suspicious way he "died" but it's so good seeing him again ;_;

Shame Lavi seems to have been killed via ear worms lololololol

lol ;_;

D.Gray-Man 222

Nothing that warms the heart like a Lenalee x Allen scene, even if it's just a flashback.

Still my favourite moment from the series. Wish we'd get more of the two in the future.

The distant future ...

Toyko Ghoul:re 73
Next time on tokyo ghoul, will Kaneki finally unleash his bankai? Will Mutsuki finally escape his fate? Find out next time on tokyo ghoul!

Kono S o, Mi yo! 1-85
Holy shit, this is THE "can you guys just fuck already" manga.

Droplet

D. Gray-Man 222

lmao did Lavi die off-screen? I guess on this schedule getting rid of the main characters with large amounts of unexplained background is probably the only way this will ever finish.

Otouto no otto 16
The small yet large attitude changes of the MC has been beautiful to watch. Really love this manga, though I don't think I will ever get use to it's Yaoi hands.

Kinda. I don't have a huge problem with it, but I'd prefer more of a "show, don't tell" type of explanation. The manga medium was made for that.

D. Gray-Man 222

So Allen will fight back

I have a feeling in the end the 14th will just pass on and Allen will have full control over his body again (maybe lose his powers again lol)

Kingdom 468-470

Oh man I just want that (Keisha) PomPom man to hit the coffin :/

I get the author trying to make us look up to the enemies as also people with worthy causes but then you have that spider PomPom General who should be dead right now still running around being arrogant and what not... it makes me not care for the enemy at all since they are trying to protect that PomPom

Thank Goodness the High Shin unit also had my same frustration

Rushing in had me sitting on the edge of my seat... Kyoukai also coming back was perfection too

"Five years too Early" FUCK YOU POMPOM... Shin is going to take you down!!!!!!!!

I need the next chapter

Revo

Natsume Yuujinchou 81

At first they seemed a bit creepy but then they became endearing.
This chapter shows how OP hands are

Revo

Detective Conan 955

With the 3 of them finding different clues I hope they all pitch in for the deduction.
And some more plot. Conan been on a roll with the plot.

TheFlow

Banned
About to start reading Break Blade again. I stopped after the first arc because the chapters weren't up now I am way behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom