• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Well, my wife just left me.

...okay that was a huge downer, so let's assume she did it because she couldn't take it that I kept reading Fuuka. Truck-kun claims another victim.
Gonna assume this is serious, in which case you have my deepest sympathies. I was going to start reading Tomo-chan and do separate posts for each page, but I'll cancel it out of respect.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) My Best Class Reunion Gho-st-alker by Musashimaru

PinlAxS.jpg

Ghostly stalker yandere (which is included with the stalker package anyways).

(NSFW) Otona NO Time by Kirintei

Gothic lolita yandere (which most gothic lolita have an affinity for it anyways).

Well, my wife just left me.

...okay that was a huge downer, so let's assume she did it because she couldn't take it that I kept reading Fuuka. Truck-kun claims another victim.

Hang in there man.

Grand Blue 33

Ooh that ending. This is gonna be so interesting.

Kaguya 59?

Thats a lot of effort for an April Fool joke.

Yotsuba 95

Tokyo too tough for Yotsuba.

Hellstar Remina by Junji Ito

Well, you can certainly feel the Lovecraft inspiration in this one. Both Lovecraft and Ito share similar overlap with their usage of the "Fear of the Unknown" or even simpler, that which is incomprehensible to human mind. Usually this involves either the cold and unfeeling vastness of space and humanity's relative unimportance or the depths of the Ocean where light does not reach, a portion of our own world still unknown (or both at the same time if you are Lovecraft.)

But uhh, the difference here is that maybe Ito isn't very good at that. His short stories and one-shots are all pretty good, but his longer and serialized continuing stories suffer from a lot of the same problems and they are all here center first in Hellstar Remina. Female protagonist watches the world collapse around her. Interesting premise has too much of the curtain pulled back, and still continues going after it stops being interesting. Straight up ludicrous amounts of surviving and...whatever the hell people flying around the world because its spinning really fast is.

Somehow, Hellstar Remina manages to turn the positives of this kind of horror into negatives while amplifying the actual negatives. Despite the continuing story, you never learn what Hellstar Remina actually is, where it came from and all that. Normally thats par for the course, but when the curtain is pulled back so far you'd expect there to be something there to chew on but there isn't. Remina is just a big living (?) planet that eats other planets for no real reason. When you move back the veil far enough that it stops being a mystery, you'd expect more.

Ito is an excellent artist and horror visionary, but he should stop trying to tell stories. Uzumaki is far better but still falters at the end. Stick to one-shots or omnibus collections. I don't know where he was going with this, honestly. It feels like a Lovecraft story until around the third chapter where it decides to keep going to its own detriment.

Yeah, Hellstar Remina isn't...that great. I actually think it was my first longer Ito work after reading the usual short story suspects.

Reading Gun Blaze West right now and man reading Watsuki's comments between chapter is so depressing. The guy had just gave up on his series. Worst he gave up on it in its starting stage.

mdubs

Banned
Reading Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad Vol. 1 right now. It seems like it will be strongly up my alley. Shame the English release got cancelled.

kasane

tower of god

HOLY SHIT THAT SCENE WAS SO FUCKING SATISFYING

happytears.gif
happytears.gif
happytears.gif
happytears.gif
happytears.gif

Reading Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad Vol. 1 right now. It seems like it will be strongly up my alley. Shame the English release got cancelled.

one of my favorite mangas. One of the best music mangas and the only mangas about bands that is actually good.

Verelios

Tower of God

It's been a long time coming...I'm actually not sure if I should be happy or annoyed at how he handled her. He should learn to shut down that nonsense immediately if he found some resolution, but it doesn't seem as if he's completely resolved.

This is going to be a long process...

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch543-544

I wonder what she's planning to do afterwards.

Horimiya ch76

Yep, those are siblings alright.

Beloved. ch12

Alas, happiness isn't meant to last.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch15

Ranna is probably going to take much longer to defrost for the rest of society.

Tokyo DTED ch21

Well, was it worth it?

Chase17

WSJ

Boruto:
Fine I guess. Waiting for this to suddenly become a card game manga. I'm guessing Boruto is going for that rare Tenten card.

One Piece
Great chapter. Hilarious faces, Sanji getting too into character is amazing.

Promised Neverland

Woah. Guess we will finally figure out about the pen.

My Hero Academia
Feels like things have been in a bit of a slump since the Deku/Bagogou fight.

Black Clover
There were 3/4 pages that looked unfinished. Otherwise, a fairly fun chapter. Looking forward to seeing where they place at the ceremony.

Robot X Laserbeam
Liking this series a lot so far. It's taken a bit but it seems by the end of this match we may have a better idea of where this series is heading. Miura is great. Tears already!

Were viz jump additions in today's magazine? I cant read it today at release time : (
No, but it says alongside that one piece is on break next week, that next week there will be a new series joining the lineup

I wonder why they say a new series? They won't add all of the new ones at the same times?

BUT ANYWAY MHA COLOR PAGES featuring one of MHAs best character! Horikoshi you da best.
ddda126a895bee7c6f914005136524d2.png

Plus I gotta say that Ishiki looked really cool in this chapter! What a man!

I'm not feeling this PNL chapter, felt weird. It just throws all the previous chapter's tension away. Still seeing Mom panic was cool.

Promised Neverland

A+ Chapter. Norman from the grave still protecting everyone.

Boruto

C8gT3e4XUAc2lsH.jpg:large

I have some Naruto TCG cards, but if theres new ones ever...I need I hope this becomes real. Im sorry but this appears to my TCG interests so I found it such an awesome plot item.

Liking Boruto more and more.

Mediking

Have you ever tried to reread a few opening chapters of your favorite manga?

They're either really rough or you can see the creator pouring so much effort and heart into the opening chapters.

Man... I wish I could draw really well ;_;

mdubs

Banned
Psa for people who read viz jump

This weeks survey asks you to rank your top 4 of the 6 jump starts

I saw this. I went

1. Hungry Marie
2. Dr. Stone
3. U19
4. We Never Learn.

Also they said a new series is coming next week. I'm going to presume it is We Never Learn, but who knows.

I saw this. I went

1. Hungry Marie
2. Dr. Stone
3. U19
4. We Never Learn.

Also they said a new series is coming next week. I'm going to presume it is We Never Learn, but who knows.

Mine was

1. Dr stone
2. Hungry marie
3. We never learn
4. Robot laserbeam

U19 would have been 3rd, but I know its a deadman walking in Japan so I'm not too excited about viz picking it up.

Fbh

The Promised Neverland 33

This made the last chapter feel a bit cheap , but I'm looking forward to see how the escape will play out. Some really exciting chapter ahead.

Fairy tail 529

You know what I don't get?. Is Natsu supposed to be as strong a Zeref now? How ? Or is Zeref just playing around?. Because for the last 5 chapters or so they have literally only been punching each other

Boruto 11
I hope this is more than some boring spoiled rich kid who is only an ass because his father doesn't care about him but turns out to be kinda good in the end type of arc.

My Hero academia 132.

This new thing that takes away powers could be interesting...I guess.

Have you ever tried to reread a few opening chapters of your favorite manga?

They're either really rough or you can see the creator pouring so much effort and heart into the opening chapters.

Man... I wish I could draw really well ;_;

I cant, probably the reason why I only have Naruto pt2 volumes and Bleach starting when the Arrancar saga begins at v 22 or so.

Though actually stuff like Bakuman feels refined right from the start, same for Fairy Tail and Owari no Serafu, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and Spiral the Bonds of Reasoning.

mdubs

Banned
Mine was

1. Dr stone
2. Hungry marie
3. We never learn
4. Robot laserbeam

U19 would have been 3rd, but I know its a deadman walking in Japan so I'm not too excited about viz picking it up.

This was my dilemma too since we know it's pretty dead in Japan

Every time I hear about Kamisama Dolls I forget it existed and start reading it again and then realize I already read it and check to see where I left off and can't figure it out so I just read it again and then stop randomly.

This happens at least 2 times a year.

Boogiepop

So here's two random questions:
First off, can anyone think of any shonen battle/whatever series in which the female characters actually get legitimately roughed up similarly to the male characters? Like, it's always kind of bugged me how so, so frequently you'll see stuff like the men getting their faces bashed in and a mess, but then women seem to always, always get stuck with those sort of scuff marks and the like (and of course clothing damage), rather than anything that would actually interfere with them being eye candy. I'm sure I've read SOMETHING that has an example in all the mass of stuff I've read over the years, but it's just a weird little thing that annoys me a bit.

Secondly: is there any chance there's a decent, non-super-fanservice-y female boxing manga out there? Or actually, now that I think on it, any good female sporting manga in general? (Again with the not fanservice-oriented caveat, as that's not really what I'm looking for.) Just something that came to mind while I'm continuing to move through Ippo bit by bit, and I tangentially realized that I couldn't think of a better example than that Cross Manage thing that US Jump ran for the short time it lasted (and even then, it was focused more on the male protagonist being the team manager).

Edit: Guess I could say Yawara, but from what I remember of the anime that'd kind of be a bit of a stretch, to call it a proper female sports manga. Though it's been a while, and I still haven't gotten around to reading the manga, even though it's on my backlog...

cntr

Banned
First off, can anyone think of any shonen battle/whatever series in which the female characters actually get legitimately roughed up similarly to the male characters?
Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist. Probably also My Hero Academia, but it isn't quite there yet.

Or actually, now that I think on it, any good female sporting manga in general?
Not typically in shounen, but in seinen and josei, yeah. I haven't read it yet, but everybody recommends Tetsuwan Girl.

upandaway

First off, can anyone think of any shonen battle/whatever series in which the female characters actually get legitimately roughed up similarly to the male characters? Like, it's always kind of bugged me how so, so frequently you'll see stuff like the men getting their faces bashed in and a mess, but then women seem to always, always get stuck with those sort of scuff marks and the like (and of course clothing damage), rather than anything that would actually interfere with them being eye candy. I'm sure I've read SOMETHING that has an example in all the mass of stuff I've read over the years, but it's just a weird little thing that annoys me a bit.

Secondly: is there any chance there's a decent, non-super-fanservice-y female boxing manga out there? Or actually, now that I think on it, any good female sporting manga in general? (Again with the not fanservice-oriented caveat, as that's not really what I'm looking for.) Just something that came to mind while I'm continuing to move through Ippo bit by bit, and I tangentially realized that I couldn't think of a better example than that Cross Manage thing that US Jump ran for the short time it lasted (and even then, it was focused more on the male protagonist being the team manager).

Edit: Guess I could say Yawara, but from what I remember of the anime that'd kind of be a bit of a stretch, to call it a proper female sports manga. Though it's been a while, and I still haven't gotten around to reading the manga, even though it's on my backlog...
For the first one I'd put Magi in there also, maybe Biscuit Hammer (and the other manga by the same author)? I think Railgun is shonen so there's that too.

Outside of shonen but still battle manga there's a bunch of course, Arachnid is an obvious one and... I guess Akame ga Kill (although at that point the violence is pretty much the fanservice).

Top Bottom