• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Haikyuu ~24

Kageyama is such a better character then Hinata it's kinda comical. I'm almost kinda stunned how quickly Kagaeyama grew out of his issue into being a natural leader and someone who can cultivate the talents of others.

Haikyuu 24-35

Typical sports shonen cliche lose while estabishing the rival match. Even if it's expected it was still exceptionally well done. I found it unique how the guy who ends up being Hinata's rival seems like a fairly minor character who's built up through the match. Normally in these cliche series the character the mc accidentally meets is naturally the same position rival, but in this series said accidentally meet rival is more an opponent for kageyama as they're both setters.

mdubs

Banned
And that was the first thing they should have done, same with Assassination Classroom when they got dragged kicking and screaming to pick it up.
Well, I mean we've literally had this exact discussion twice already regarding the deal with sports manga and stuff, so I don't really know what to say other than I think you're being too hard on them with the benefit of hindsight on something they're clearly trying to remedy.

Edit: another thing to consider (and I'm curious if you will come around to this argument as you make your way through the series) is that reducing Haikyu!! to a plot summary would be not come close to capturing the matches that make the series so special, so anyone getting into it that way would be having a massive disservice done to them as well.

TheFlow

Banned
Haikyuu ~24

Kageyama is such a better character then Hinata it's kinda comical. I'm almost kinda stunned how quickly Kagaeyama grew out of his issue into being a natural leader and someone who can cultivate the talents of others.

Haikyuu 24-35

Typical sports shonen cliche lose while estabishing the rival match. Even if it's expected it was still exceptionally well done. I found it unique how the guy who ends up being Hinata's rival seems like a fairly minor character who's built up through the match. Normally in these cliche series the character the mc accidentally meets is naturally the same position rival, but in this series said accidentally meet rival is more an opponent for kageyama as they're both setters.
Disagree.

Kageyama is the sasuke of the series. Everyone knows he is a great player and notice him, but Hinata sneaks up on you like Naruto used to do. Can't say anymore without spoiling you

Well, I mean we've literally had this exact discussion twice already regarding the deal with sports manga and stuff, so I don't really know what to say other than I think you're being too hard on them with the benefit of hindsight on something they're clearly trying to remedy.

Edit: another thing to consider (and I'm curious if you will come around to this argument as you make your way through the series) is that reducing Haikyu!! to a plot summary would be not come close to capturing the matches that make the series so special, so anyone getting into it that way would be having a massive disservice done to them as well.

For me it's a principal position if you license it put it in the magazine and let fans decide from there. It's especially silly in a world where the series has 3? Anime seasons that cover a large chunk of the story. Also I would give viz more credit... if they didn't continue to pass on series that end up being a hit while picking up ENDLESSTRASH.gif that gets shit canned within 20 chapters.

Also the argument about a summary page could apply to any manga series, yet they include a summary page since they never know when someone might decide to give a random chapter a chance and jump into the story in the middle. I'd rather have had that option then be stuck between "pay for a bunch of old volumes but not actually catch up with Japan" or "read fan subs that are waaaaay ahead of the official translation"

Disagree.

Kageyama is the sasuke of the series. Everyone knows he is a great player and notice him, but Hinata sneaks up on you like Naruto used to do. Can't say anymore without spoiling you

So then we agree, since Naruto is one of the worst characters in his own series saved from the absolute worst by his team mate Sakura.

Taruranto

Seraph #58

RCg8G8J.jpg

Drama bomb!

I wonder how much is lost without having read the prequel Light Novels at this point. I felt like I was missing some pretty big stuff for half of the chapter.

Haikyuu ~24

Haikyuu 24-35

Honestly you should check the anime, Production I.G. did some pretty sexy stuff with the animation.

shokugeki no soma 213

Soma coming through again with his scrub food to challenge gourmet food. Though that doesn't mean it will be the best.

Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan 1

Well this was nice. Two step sisters brought together through the joy of cooking and eating.

TheFlow

Banned
Bassforever you got some nerve to troll me. Shikamaru/Neji are the best.

the anime is almost 1:1 for the manga.You could actually watch it over the manga and be just fine. I recommend both of course because I am a fanboy

Kieli

Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu:

Oh dear, our humble hero is going to have a very tough time ahead of him. Thrown into a pit of snakes with naught but his undies so to speak. :O

Bassforever you got some nerve to troll me. Shikamaru/Neji are the best

We agree on this point as well what exactly is the problem again?

And I'm reading the manga since 1) I can get through it a lot faster 2)I can read it more often 3) wmr is covering it on their newest episode and unlike past wmr recommendations I actually care enough about this to read it and form my own opinion

Chase17

Haikyuu ~24

I like Hinata a lot but I can definitely buy in to Kageyama being a better character.

Hinata can come across as arrogant/annoying/foolish for thinking that he can become the best when he doesn't have the talent or experience of the top players. Kageyama, in the first couple chapters, and future opponents don't like him just for that. The most compelling thing about Hinata for a lot of the manga, is how his character's determination and development contributes to the growth of Kageyama, who has the talent, as a player and teammate. Sometimes it can feel like Hinata is more of a tool to help Kageyama become great, rather than his progression towards being the next tiny giant.
Though the answer is probably both

TheFlow

Banned
We agree on this point as well what exactly is the problem again?

And I'm reading the manga since 1) I can get through it a lot faster 2)I can read it more often 3) wmr is covering it on their newest episode and unlike past wmr recommendations I actually care enough about this to read it and form my own opinion

nice no probs at all.

I like Hinata a lot but I can definitely buy in to Kageyama being a better character.

Hinata can come across as arrogant/annoying/foolish for thinking that he can become the best when he doesn't have the talent or experience of the top players. Kageyama, in the first couple chapters, and future opponents don't like him just for that. The most compelling thing about Hinata for a lot of the manga, is how his character's determination and development contributes to the growth of Kageyama, who has the talent, as a player and teammate. Sometimes it can feel like Hinata is more of a tool to help Kageyama become great, rather than his progression towards being the next tiny giant.
Though the answer is probably both
Kageyama just has more exp than Hinata, and trained with one of the best players in the series. Hinata is basically a baby compared to most his team. The dude had to practice with his neighbors and little sister. Hist first game was also his last game during his middle school years.

In my eyes Hinata and Kageyama are two sides of the same coin. They complement each other. Though I think Hinata will end taking the spotlight from Kageyama after this latest arc.

A recent poll was conducted to vote for the most skilled jump artists

The results:
Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball)
Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk)
Tsukasa Hojo (City Hunter)
Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Masakazu Katsura (DNA²)
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
Hideaki Sorachi (Gin Tama)
Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star)
Shun Saeki (Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma)
Yuusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21)
Kentaro Yabuki (To Love-Ru -Trouble-)
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter)
Tite Kubo (Bleach)
Akira Amano (Reborn!)
Osamu Akimoto (Kochikame)
Buichi Terasawa (Space Adventure Cobra)
Haruichi Furudate (Haikyu!!)
Katsura Hoshino (D.Gray-man)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hojo should be a spot or two higher, but that's a decent top 5. Togashi is criminally low though, when he gives a fuck he's tops.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder

I'm dying
KuGsj.gif

This manga has turned into trolling the fuck out of Kirie all day every day. I'm guessing these last two chapters probably caused DTL to tap out given that Touta just straight up has hooked up with Kirie which makes the whole "secret Santa relationship" theory go down in flames.

XgPscrF.png

followed by

nyicvqy.png

(fire the proofreader)

Qfx6ct8.png

I think Akamatsu just likes that specific character because there's stuff in the limited edition volume of UQ Holder where they confirmed that the girl Negi liked (who he told Asuna about in the last bit of Negima) was Chisame (who is basically the same character as Kirie).

remz

Not when he actually bothers drawing. When he's actually healthy and tries he's the absolute best on that list.

Dude always puts in work when it counts IMO. Only diss on him as an author i won't argue against is that some of his character designs are a little bit unfashionable

Sandfox

Not when he actually bothers drawing. When he's actually healthy and tries he's the absolute best on that list.

The problem is that Togashi has had health issues since Yu Yu Hakusho and because of that his art can be very inconsistent. The top five is amazing is amazing so I personally wouldn't say he's the absolute best. Obata for example has shown a tone of skill with Death Note and Bakuman.

Yeah you can't reward a guy who constantly puts out scribbles and is on hiatus all the time. Yes heath reasons but the people above him put out incredible art all the time without taking years off.

dramatis

A recent poll was conducted to vote for the most skilled jump artists

The results:
Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball)
Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk)
Tsukasa Hojo (City Hunter)
Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Masakazu Katsura (DNA²)
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
Hideaki Sorachi (Gin Tama)
Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star)
Shun Saeki (Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma)
Yuusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21)
Kentaro Yabuki (To Love-Ru -Trouble-)
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter)
Tite Kubo (Bleach)
Akira Amano (Reborn!)
Osamu Akimoto (Kochikame)
Buichi Terasawa (Space Adventure Cobra)
Haruichi Furudate (Haikyu!!)
Katsura Hoshino (D.Gray-man)
How the hell did that gorilla end up so high on this list

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah you can't reward a guy who constantly puts out scribbles and is on hiatus all the time. Yes heath reasons but the people above him put out incredible art all the time without taking years off.

i have to wonder how much truth there is to his "my editor locked me in a hotel to finish YYH" story. I wonder if it's possible he made up part of it so he could get his "I can take all the time I want off" contract.
I know he has health problems but Oda got hospitalized and he still worked in bed (which is likely why Shueisha put him on a "break ever 3-5 chapters" schedule)

i have to wonder how much truth there is to his "my editor locked me in a hotel to finish YYH" story. I wonder if it's possible he made up part of it so he could get his "I can take all the time I want off" contract.
I know he has health problems but Oda got hospitalized and he still worked in bed (which is likely why Shueisha put him on a "break ever 3-5 chapters" schedule)

Based upon how yyh's ending played out I can totally buy the narrative that Togashi was forced to finish it.

Zweizer

Banned
Swap ⇔ Swap ch23

Too bad not much happened during the date aside from some slight confusion.

Code:
[img]https://s17.postimg.org/c5hzo1d1r/swap.png[/img]

She's upfront about it at least.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch13

Carnivorous mushrooms are creepy.

dramatis

I love Obata but I can't think of many manga artists that are on Takehiko's level, let alone Jump artists
I won't say Obata is better than Takehiko, but I think Obata has his own style while having some flexibility, like in Bakuman or with Gakkyu Hotei.

Still, Obata seems like a guy who likes sticking to his particular style though lol

I don't think we can necessarily evaluate in a straight ranking who is the best artist, but rather it's possible to consider that different artists have different strengths that have their utility in manga.

Don't Make Me So Turned On 3 (END) (NSFW)

The magazine this was running in was axed, so RIP. Have to say though, after that determined vow to make Kaede fall for her, I find that ending absolutely hilarious.

I think Akamatsu just likes that specific character because there's stuff in the limited edition volume of UQ Holder where they confirmed that the girl Negi liked (who he told Asuna about in the last bit of Negima) was Chisame (who is basically the same character as Kirie).
I just went through the 5 stages of grief in <2 minutes after reading and confirming that.

I won't say Obata is better than Takehiko, but I think Obata has his own style while having some flexibility, like in Bakuman or with Gakkyu Hotei.

Still, Obata seems like a guy who likes sticking to his particular style though lol

I don't think we can necessarily evaluate in a straight ranking who is the best artist, but rather it's possible to consider that different artists have different strengths that have their utility in manga.
Oh, definitely, I'm just talking about raw drawing quality, not style, which is what I assume the poll was about. Honestly, I'd kind of put Obata in the same boat as Toriyama, an artist that can scale up and down his own style so you can get something more detailed like Dragonball or something more stylized like Dr Slump or Dragon Quest while still feeling like it's the same art style, and that is a really amazing skill by itself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Don't Make Me So Turned On 3 (END) (NSFW)

The magazine this was running in was axed, so RIP. Have to say though, after that determined vow to make Kaede fall for her, I find that ending absolutely hilarious.

I just went through the 5 stages of grief in <2 minutes after reading and confirming that.

But why

You just have to learn never to get against glasses wearing tsunderes in Ken Akamatsu works.

Angry Grimace

Also, Fairy Tail is ending in ~2 volumes.

I'm gonna laugh when Mashima resolves none of the lingering relationship threads.

Angry Grimace

Is Ken married to a glasses wearing tsundere irl?

I also need to catch up on uq holder.

I think he's married to a cosplay model because it was a running joke with the "research breaks" in Negima.

DemWalls

Hoshino should be way, way higher. I understand that DGM was "downgraded", but before that it had, quite simply, some of the best art ever, especially for a shonen. Besides, unlike some other similar cases, it remained very good, and definitely above average.

Top Bottom