• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasane

oda is a fucking workaholic guys

if it aint serious he aint taking a break.

if its odas call he will kill himself working

Shengar

Why in fuck's name does Oda take so many breaks recently!?

Like, have you seen the quality of the background art deteriorating to noticeable proportion?
If anything, Oda needs more break. Drawing manga, or One Piece to be exact is his hobby to the point he become workaholic over it.

Rhapsody

Banned
One Piece 765

This backstory has been great. Things are about to go wrong though. It's just too bad we'll have to wait a little bit longer just to find out.

Rhapsody

Banned
Curious, but those of you that buy manga here in the US (physical), where do you buy them?

I haven't bought manga in so long, especially after Borders closed down since I was able to get stuff for cheap there.

Curious, but those of you that buy manga here in the US (physical), where do you buy them?

I haven't bought manga in so long, especially after Borders closed down since I was able to get stuff for cheap there.

Amazon, best place for buying manga in my opinion. Get a lot of cheap One Piece vols and other manga's too.

kasane

usually amazon or a local book store

Amazon usually.

RightStuf if they have a studio sale going on(speaking of which, they started a Viz one today...)

Rhapsody

Banned
Guess I'll take a look at Amazon and Rightstuf when I'm feeling the need to buy more manga.

Kinda sucks liking mostly long running series.

Mortemis

Banned

We are amazonians.

Monster perfect edition vol 2 needs to ship already tho. Need to post impressions of vol 1 whenever I get the motivation.

ElFly

Toriko 298

So I just noticed that CRYPTOBIOSIS is a real thing, and, what's crazier, it is exactly what the manga says.

Can a bro check if the original says "cryptobiosis", or if the scanlators are really well educated and substituted some more mundane japanese word for it?

amazon has the best deals on new stuff. Otherwise I'd probably browse used book stores to try my luck. I've gotten plenty of american comics that way but I've never gone looking for manga. The two are usually segregated in book stores in my experience and my american comics phase came at the expense of reading manga for ages.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bleach 602

The chapter was actually pretty, imo. This one wasn't dragged out and the panels were pretty cool.

What.

Introducing inconsequential characters only to spout unimportant drivels and to be killed off almost immediately *is* the definition of dragging it out.

What are the functions of the folks like this stupid D guy, his introduction and his death, serve to the overall story? None, nada, zip.

Rhapsody

Banned
What.

Introducing inconsequential characters only to spout unimportant drivels and to be killed off almost immediately *is* the definition of dragging it out.

What are the functions of the folks like this stupid D guy, his introduction and his death, serve to the overall story? None, nada, zip.

I guess I'm comparing to the typical Bleach standard. Ones where they take 3 chapters or so with a backstory no one cares for. Also showed that the other squad zero member is now there.

Honestly, I'll take one chapter fights rather than 2-4 ones like the Kurotsuchi battle. A lot of the villains have lame backstories in Bleach, and some of the fights feel like a waste of time. Making them one chapter like how YuYu Hakusho did it for weak enemies, I don't mind. Having every letter Quincy to have a month battle while having dry personalities, I'll pass.

Nordicus

Taiyou no Ie 47

I'm glad Mao understands that she's been avoiding Hiro unfairly. Her mental image is a bit ridiculous though.
ltggkkO.jpg

I really hope their relationship sees some development next chapter. There's no excuse to delay that anymore

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Toriko

Nice that we're getting more background on the nitro. It's nice to see them developed just beyond villains.

Noragami

Gonna be betting on Reincarnation Ex Machina.

Zweizer

Banned
Zai x 10 ch27

...I don't know if I'd prefer to have such NPCs in my games or not.

Okusan 5
I bet her breast would.....shrunk to 80-90 cm if she really worked out
Fats is the only explanation for those......anomaly

Anomaly? Them's fighting words!

upandaway

Amari Mawari 16

Kyouka is way more of the heroine of this manga than Amari. Please show Amari, Kyouka is a jerk :(

Taiyou no Ie

That's that then. Y'all freaked that drama's going to happen in the last second but it was painless. Even the novel thing happened and stopped happening within a couple pages, I'm okay with this.

We're already at the point where even if he knows who the novel's about, it won't really change anything about everything else he knows, but at least it'll be nice closure.

upandaway

Aho Girl 22-23 and Swagamoto 14

Reading these two back to back was not very smart. My stomach hurts.

Apparently in Japan, the age of the person is written on his credit card!

upandaway

Hayate 468-469

Man that loneliness hit Nagi pretty hard all of a sudden. 469 was amazing, the author has complete mastery of what he's doing. Oda you could have given us SOMETHING about All Blue in Fishman Island, dangit, one thing!!!

Not sure about where the story is going with the jewels/dreams, but then again I never did, until they made a joke out of it.

Zweizer

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul ch34-46.5

The Gourmet is a decent villain, with a motivation that fits his nature, even though ultimately he didn't felt particularily important to the plot outside of forcing character growth to others. One has to wonder how the Doves never managed to find the restaurant though, since it doesn't seem to be particularily discreet.

Zweizer

Banned
Super-Conductive Brains Parataxis by Shintaro Kago

A gripping tale that plays with the human condition and the various stories that surrounds a pragmatic and heartless world, where one might have to beat their brains out in order to attain happiness. As such, thematically it toys with the definition and worth of one's life, thus making the readers question what truly defines humanity's heart and soul. The author skillfully combines moral dissonance and good ol' gore, painting a dystopic world in which the survival of a society costs an arm and a leg, all for the sake of one's flesh and blood. One also has to admire the creative and sometimes eye-catching, if rather gruesome, design of some of the tools used, despite their controversial nature. In other words, typical Shintaro Kago stuff.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb in stating that it's a pretty cold-blooded story, despite its tongue in cheek approach, so as a heads up be warned that it's not recommended to those for whom such content makes their blood boil, nor for the faint of heart. Don't lose your head over it however, and appreciate the madness! It will blow your mind~

Tokyo Ghoul ch34-46.5

The Gourmet is a decent villain, with a motivation that fits his nature, even though ultimately he didn't felt particularily important to the plot outside of forcing character growth to others. One has to wonder how the Doves never managed to find the restaurant though, since it doesn't seem to be particularily discreet.

From what I see the Gourmet restaurant is a secret society with wealthy members, that could easily conceal their movement. Also Tsukiyama (Gourmet) is from a wealthy family that seem to have authority. Considering his elegant high class personality outside his crazy moments.

Also your on the next arc which is one of my favorites in the series. Hope you enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom