• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
Fuuka 37

Some further thoughts. This chapter was supposed to be a sad and depressing chapter but the only feeling I got from it was of shock and surprise, is what I came to realize later on. Was this the case for anyone else? I mean, Seo has done some sad moments pretty well in his other works so I wonder why it didn't occur here -- in what should be the most depressing chapter. It's not like we don't know anything about Fuuka. Her personality is a bit strange but there is a lot of backstory for her character that we can infer through the extra chapters as well as via Suzuka and her cameo appearance in KNIM.

I think the reason why I didn't feel sad was because her death kind of felt forced and perhaps because of the time skip. He's already done this jump to funeral thing once before but the time he did it then I felt had much more of an emotional impact even though I genuinely did not give a crap about that character in KNIM. Seo has been known to whore out his characters for sales so I wonder if this death was planned from the onset or if he just decided to kill her off to get people talking.

Even though Fuuka was a way more likable character than the guy in KNIM, the former definitely was there as just a shock factor. KNIM actually had some build up to that chapter before the surgery at least. So I agree with you there.

Revo

Fuuka stuff into Soma anime into possible terrible studio for Soma anime into learning that info is false

It's been quite the ups and downs for mangagaf this week

at least suzuka is ending this week

dani_dc

Eroge no Taiyou 10

The boss continues to be an ass.

I really liked the section about dreams being used to take advantage of people, manly because it's true and it's, unfortunately, an accepted part or the gaming industry in general.

Fuuka 37

Some further thoughts. This chapter was supposed to be a sad and depressing chapter but the only feeling I got from it was of shock and surprise, is what I came to realize later on. Was this the case for anyone else? I mean, Seo has done some sad moments pretty well in his other works so I wonder why it didn't occur here -- in what should be the most depressing chapter. It's not like we don't know anything about Fuuka. Her personality is a bit strange but there is a lot of backstory for her character that we can infer through the extra chapters as well as via Suzuka and her cameo appearance in KNIM.

I think the reason why I didn't feel sad was because her death kind of felt forced and perhaps because of the time skip. He's already done this jump to funeral thing once before but the time he did it then I felt had much more of an emotional impact even though I genuinely did not give a crap about that character in KNIM. Seo has been known to whore out his characters for sales so I wonder if this death was planned from the onset or if he just decided to kill her off to get people talking.

I mean when it comes to other works like Cross Game, you manage to feel sad for a character's death just 1 volume in. This is already 37 chapters and there was no emotional impact at all. For 37 chapters I expect to be bawling in tears.
It was a mix of situations, partly due to the lack or build up, partly due to last week preparing us for this. You either make it clear she was dead last week for full shock value, or you have an ambulance scene-hospital scene culminating with Yuu finding out about Fuuka death.
It was instead an odd midst of somewhat-shock with little build up.

Personally I felt mostly shocked, and it wasn't until I tried to put myself on the characters place and reading earlier chapters that I started getting sad.

I'm pretty sure it was planned, you don't just kill your main female character less than a year into serialization on a whim or as a reaction for low popularity (unless she's that bad, which I doubt was the case with Fuuka)

Nah, the Tokyo is unsafe bit is just his asspull to get her to stay in the town. We are coming to the point where he realises his feelings for her and moves to Tokyo to be with her.
I'm sure we'll see him come around and move with her to Tokyo, but I think he really believed what he was saying.

Fuuka stuff into Soma anime into possible terrible studio for Soma anime into learning that info is false

It's been quite the ups and downs for mangagaf this week

at least suzuka is ending this week
I wonder what we have left for this week.

------------------------------

Need to be up in 2 hours, slept 5. Wonder if I should try to take a nap or not.

wonzo

Banned
Boku Girl 25-28

bokugirl28.png

was wondering about whatever happened to that big lug

monster waifus 27
monsterwaifus27.png

would buy

bums me out we wont get to see arachnids mum… unless she rather appears by stealth :eek:

Keijo 4

hopefully they'll breeze past this bit or it starts to get interesting before its over

Revo

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 1-2

Read the first 2 chapters after watching the first two episodes. She's like a female Kai and we get to look through the eyes of an Amamiya standin the entire time (talking about Piano no Mori). But now there's gonna be romance and a broken past and healing for him etc etc etc.

So like an inferior Piano no Mori. Considering how much I enjoy Piano no Mori, I can dig it.

dani_dc

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! 18

Akina Yuri denial is strong, especially on an all girls night.
Getting Sanji level nosebleeds when thinking of Kaeda should be a good indication that the Yuri is real.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fuuka 37

I mean when it comes to other works like Cross Game, you manage to feel sad for a character's death just 1 volume in. This is already 37 chapters and there was no emotional impact at all. For 37 chapters I expect to be bawling in tears.

It's because Mitsuru Adachi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Seo.

Revo

I've seen Adachi name a lot lately.
Which one of his works should I pick to start off reading his catalogue?

Cross Game is the best (Albeit this and mix are the only ones I've read so far).

Mix is also good (and ongoing).

Wasn't there talk of a Touch reading club after Suzuka ends? We should do that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd be down for that.

BTW, cdjapan just released 4 iPhone covers for gekkan shoujo. It features everyone in their pairing, except mikorin is the only one by himself.

Mikorin, forever alone. :(

dani_dc

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to check them out.
I see he has a thing for baseball.

Apparently Mix is a sequel to Touch, is that particularly relevant to Mix?

I'm always up for more book clubs.
Though I still need to catch up on what I missed from Dresden.

flawfuls

Touch is probably the best to start with. It's the most famous, leads into the ongoing series and is arguably the best. It doesn't really matter which you start with Cross Game, H2, Rough, and Katsu are all great
and more or less the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to check them out.
I see he has a thing for baseball.

Apparently Mix is a sequel to Touch, is that particularly relevant to Mix?

I'm always up for more book clubs.
Though I still need to catch up on what I missed from Dresden.
Nah you'll just mix a few references. Characters are all different.

elyetis

Q and A can be a good start since it's only a few tomes, to see if you like Adachi's style, even if it's really not his best work IMHO.
Then since you will still be in love with his work as it should be, I would go : Touch -> Katsu -> cross game. For 2 reason, I think it's his 3 best work, and in that order you won't read 2 manga in a row about the same sport/baseball.

wonzo

Banned
Inside Mari 36

Undisputedly the best way to resolve a spat before it becomes violent.

Yuri Seijin Naoko-san 6

These "professional" little girls need to be rounded up and put in a dorm for delinquents.

Himawari-san 26

Well, if nothing else, she's honest.

Fragtime 12

she really needs to stop sweating the small stuff and get in there already!

Cross Game is the best (Albeit this and mix are the only ones I've read so far).

Mix is also good (and ongoing).

Wasn't there talk of a Touch reading club after Suzuka ends? We should do that.

Yeah, Cross Game is really good. Though I watched the anime and only read some chapters of the manga -- from what I can tell it was a straight adaptation + more material.

I'm currently reading H2 right now and it's above average but not great, imo. He breaks the 4th wall way too often and I don't think he does a good job of pacing and switching between baseball and romance in this one.

The characters in Cross Game I feel are also a lot more likable -- the Tsukishima sisters are the best and so is Koh! Not sure if he ever broke the fourth wall in Cross Game but in the anime that never happened at least.

Also, I'm up for reading Touch. The character designs kind of put me off though. That fro.

Revo

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 3-22

Music parts were intense and good. Romance is still romance. Still reminds me a lot of Piano no Mori. Still consider Piano no Mori to be better.

Still, was pretty enjoyable. A lot of nice shots. Hopefully the anime does them well.

Antiwhippy

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 3-22

Music parts were intense and good. Romance is still romance. Still reminds me a lot of Piano no Mori. Still consider Piano no Mori to be better.

Still, was pretty enjoyable. A lot of nice shots. Hopefully the anime does them well.

So basically it's about someone who feels inferior in the face of sheer musical genius?

Quasar

Poor cnet ended up being a sacrificial lamb.

I guess the rest of smut-animeGaf disappeared into safer heavens afterwards

Well I just don't need to post images, so I can chatter about titilating anime to my hearts content. And oddly it's the place where I chatter about my novel reading. Not sure why I do that there...I guess because there's a few other known LN readers.

Revo

So basically it's about someone who feels inferior in the face of sheer musical genius?

Well MC is a prodigy on his own (in the same vein as Amamiya) but he has problems that aren't because he feels inferior. And this one focuses on the inferior guy who gets enlightened by the free music of the blonde haired person while Piano no Mori focuses more around Kai while having Amamiya as a very important side character.

This also has a violinist. And more romance.

Antiwhippy

Well MC is a prodigy on his own (in the same vein as Amamiya) but he has problems that aren't because he feels inferior. And this one focuses on the inferior guy who gets enlightened by the free music of the blonde haired person while Piano no Mori focuses more around Kai while having Amamiya as a very important side character.

This also has a violinist. And more romance.

Alright, might give it a shot. Though I've been contemplating whether to go anime first or manga first.

Revo

I started with the anime then read the manga. First 3 episodes have shown it to be well adapted. I've heard that the entire series will be animated as well if that influences your decision.

Antiwhippy

I started with the anime then read the manga. First 3 episodes have shown it to be well adapted. I've heard that the entire series will be animated as well if that influences your decision.

Alright, seeing that it's a nodame cantabile situation with the music I might go with the anime.

Revo

Naruto 698

I was really up in arms about how lol only 5 chapters to finish this up but having seen so far how it's being wrapped up and how I feel I'm feeling better about it. Naruto having been one of the first manga I've read (I read Naruto/Bleach/One Piece in ~proportionally equal amounts so I ended up finishing them around the same time) it has been with me the longest and has certainly given me a lot to talk about with friends. It's clear that it's never going to be the best thing out there but there's always going to be some sad emotions when something that has been with you for years, always plodding along, is coming to a close.

As long as Naruto can give me a good epilogue and give me a good goodbye I will be fully content with how the series is ending.

Hanjuku Joshi

Yuri which I had interest because some nice illustrations (nsfwish) and a drawing style that reminded me to 3 Gatsu no Lion or Honey & Clover author style:
uzkmA6g.png

But that "innocent" style blindsided me... it was smuttier than I expected, so sweatingman.jpg.
dfUZzdc.png
In total two volumes, overall not a lot of drama and more straightforward sweet romance-with sexy times, with two lesbo couples, one the main one with the protagonists and other a secondary with a age gap, everyone has a minimum of backstory and character growth but not a lot, you know, just the bare minimum, it's pretty straight forward as I say.

dani_dc

Lots of suggestions regarding Adachi, I suppose I should wait if we're going to have a Touch read.

Hanjuku Joshi

In total two volumes, overall not a lot of drama and more straightforward sweet romance-with sexy times, with two lesbo couples, one the main one with the protagonists and other a secondary with a age gap, everyone has a minimum of backstory and character growth but not a lot, you know, just the bare minimum, it's pretty straight forward as I say.

I read this awhile ago. I also read another 3-4 Yuri stories and they all seem to feature a blond and a black haired girl.

Needless to say it's all a mess in my head. I should re-read it. I seem to recall the other couple though, a blond girl that used to sleep around with guys and the teacher right? Or am I thinking of a different manga?

I nearly press the NSFW link out of habit despite being in college.
Well I just don't need to post images, so I can chatter about titilating anime to my hearts content. And oddly it's the place where I chatter about my novel reading. Not sure why I do that there...I guess because there's a few other known LN readers.

Smart thing to do. I bet cnet wishes he knew that beforehand. Thankfully he was the only one that got banned and everyone else took the right conclusions.

That's odd, I'd think there would be more LN readers here, though I could be wrong.

Needless to say it's all a mess in my head. I should re-read it. I
seem to recall the other couple though, a blond girlt hat used to sleep around with guys and the teacher right? Or am I thinking of a different manga?

I nearly press the NSFW link out of habit despite being in college.

Yes, that one.
And what's life if it isn't a bit of risk. Click it, it's not really nsfw, it would be just for the more prudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom