• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
qq.gif

I'll still be reading them, but at my rhythm. I've been dedicating a huge part of my free time doing nothing but catching up to these reading clubs lately, and would like to breathe for a bit.

Where's Dresden, btw?

Probably still on the run.

diaspora

Just bought/preordered all 5 english volumes of Barakamon. Yen Press has got to get on to translating volumes 6-10 though, IIRC there's like 8+ already available in French.

Top-Selling Manga of 2014 (or November 2013 to November 2014)

1 - One Piece (11,885,957 copies)
2 - Shingeki no Kyojin (11,728,368 copies)
3 - Haikyû!! (8,283,709 copies)
4 - Tokyo Ghoul (6,946,203 copies)
5 - Kuroko no Basket (6,729,439 copies)
6 - Naruto (5,505,179 copies)
7 - Daiya no Ace (4,681,031 copies)
8 - Magi (4,657,971 copies)
9 - Nanatsu no Taizai (4,633,246 copies)
10 - Assassination Classroom (4,622,108 copies)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank1201/index06.html

Top-Selling Individual Volumes

1 - One Piece 73 (3,010,801 copies)
2 - One Piece 74 (2,834,558 copies)
3 - One Piece 75 (2,698,071 copies)
4 - Shingeki no Kyojin 13 (1,921,457 copies)
5 - Shingeki no Kyojin 12 (1,895,305 copies)
6 - Shingeki no Kyojin 14 (1,773,871 copies)
7 - Naruto 67 (1,106,651 copies)
8 - Naruto 68 (1,098,121 copies)
9 - Kimi ni Todoke 21 (1,031,380 copies)
10 - Naruto 69 (1,007,954 copies)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank1201/index05.html

Glad invididual volume wise, if Kurobas had continued to get new volumes, Haikyuu!! would have definitely gone far passed it.

I was hoping Seraph of the End would have had one volume appear on the 100 volumes list, but I guess 2015 will be its year. BLue Exorcist will have to watch out, and same for Twin Star Exorcists.

Food Wars! could have had some volumes too :(

Japan Tengu Party Vol 3.

An interesting twist. Shinobu starts doing a normal human life, and forgetting tengus. But they won't let her go so easily. She gets tangled in the dispute again,
and his new bf pays the price. Poor him, first he won't walk, second she leaves him.
Meanwhile the tengus go all full public.

BSIjLBc.png

Oh Master, you are so full of contradictions. You wanted to make Tengus powerful and respectable and be in the Land of Tengus, but you are too big of a snob to want everyone and anyone to turn into a tengu. Then you would be less special, you see. And behaving like humans, with a home and having goals isn't a real Tengu thing...

nice panelling

I planned to finish today but it's too late now, tomorrow...

VRMN

Well, this is a pretty messed up series. Normal dude comes back to his hometown and becomes aquainted with an older gentleman, a gay guy maybe around his age, and a young girl who couldn't be very far into double digits in age. They're all involved with one of two feuding mafias and Gohongi sets his mind to freeing the young hit...girl, really from the life she's been more or less forced into. The girl, Mei, is cute once you get past the part that she's pretty much cold to the idea of killing people after years of doing it. Gohongi is getting dragged into the mafia from association, Mei has a crush on the one person who's ever shown her unconditional kindness, and it's getting more and more fucked up by the chapter. Mei showing a bit of yandere at the end of the most recent chapter just kind of cemented how screwed up she still is. Hoping for a happy ending where she overcomes the role she was consigned to, but mafia stories never have happy endings.

Akame ga Kill! 54

OFFICIAL MEIN THEME

Well, I don't remember who but someone called the Incursio level up. This looks pretty end game right here. Might as well start placing bets on who lives and who dies, but I expect a few more interruptions before this is all over.

Tatsumi just pulled a Jotaro and Budo didn't job, color me surprised. I thought Mein would be able to counter Za Warudo because of pinchi

Big One

Banned
My Hero Academia 16

I like how the kid's power is that he's pretty much Pikachu, and fanservice girl I hope isn't too overexposed.

So far my favorite character is the Frog girl, but the main character is really becoming more likable as chapters goes on. he has potential to be a genuinely badass main character rather than a bullshit one like Narutu or Luffy, but he must overcome his issues and gain more confidence himself.

Akame ga KILL! Chapter 54

Now this is the shit I'm talking about. Not that fucking abortion the anime created.
Didn't expect this out of Incursio but such a power-up was needed in light of Esdese and her crazy powers. Cannot wait to see how this is resolved. I fully expect everyone on the night raid to survivor with the focus being on Mein.

Onepunch-Man 38.5 Miracle Jump Special

That's what you get for messing with a hot pot party.
I think I like this Vegeta dude already. Describing himself as "The Villain"

Youkai Shoujo 14

BRING BACK THE FGC SPIDER GIRL

Damn I really feel bad for Toriko like it's sales have dropped a lot. It sold about more than 2 million copies last year, but this year holy shit it didn't even rank in the top 30. The lowest sales from the chart are about 1 million or so and it even didn't pass that. I feel bad for the Toriko fans (Hope you feel better RealTalker).

All that push from Shonen Jump was for nothing.

VRMN

...goddamn, Mine.
Is she literally made of death flag repellant?
Epic battle, great power up, more to come with
Budo joining the fight and Esdeath still having an ace up her sleeve.
So much better than the anime, it's not even funny.

Big One

Banned
Damn I really feel bad for Toriko like it's sales have dropped a lot. It sold about more than 2 million copies last year, but this year holy shit it didn't even rank in the top 30. The lowest sales from the chart are about 1 million or so and it even didn't pass that. I feel bad for the Toriko fans (Hope you feel better RealTalker).

I love Toriko, but it failed to evolve as a series. It was literally the same stuff over and over again without any real progress on the central plot. I mean, Bleach and Naruto did this too, but their characters looked like bishonen and they had a Western fanbase to support them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
MOTEKI

EVERY, and I do mean EVERY "I'm so lonely" guys in GAF should be mandated to read this.

AKAME GA KILL

Yeah girl! Keep on! I am cheering on ya! :3

lol I don't read this serious but even I know everyone loved that long haired hat girl

anime people will rage

if it follows the story to a T

Leone is so dead.
Only Najenda can possibly be more dead then her.
Of course Kurome and Wave will probably show up, and maybe the remnants of Wild Hunt to turn it into a three way battle.

What I'm saying is a lot of people are going to die and this is really close to the end. There might be one or two more fights after this, but once Budou and Esdeath die it's over, unless there's another person asspulled out of nowhere on their level.
Gonna close this shit out just like Tomino woulda done

Not yet, but do you actually expect her to live?

Like I want a good ending and all, but thinking she's going to live through this is like thinking Mein is actually going to survive.

Isn't Exdeath pretty popular? I don't think she's gonna die anytime soon.

I still hope she lives to the end and slaves tatsumi.

360pages

It's not our fault authors keep putting the more interest female in the secondary role while having the boring one be the main one.

VRMN

There is literally no way that she doesn't die and have parting words along the lines of "this just means I wasn't strong enough, after all," echoing her father. Or maybe she comes around in her dying breaths, I don't know.

Akame's entire purpose is to kill her. Although her OHKO won't do shit because Budou is clad in armor and Esdeath has multiple ways to scum it.
But yes she's the most popular character. Even if she doesn't die here, her role in the story means she will die sometime, probably close to the very end.

Kanata

NMQslx6.png

An one shot by Syun Matsuena about modern day ninjas.

I liked it. Typical ninja actions with childhood friends but it was nicely done. The action was nice and while it didn't go the typical route I expected ninja based stories to go, it still looks pretty interesting to become a full series.

Top-Selling Manga of 2014 (or November 2013 to November 2014)

1 - One Piece (11,885,957 copies)
2 - Shingeki no Kyojin (11,728,368 copies)
3 - Haikyû!! (8,283,709 copies)
4 - Tokyo Ghoul (6,946,203 copies)
5 - Kuroko no Basket (6,729,439 copies)
6 - Naruto (5,505,179 copies)
7 - Daiya no Ace (4,681,031 copies)
8 - Magi (4,657,971 copies)
9 - Nanatsu no Taizai (4,633,246 copies)
10 - Assassination Classroom (4,622,108 copies)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank1201/index06.html

Top-Selling Individual Volumes

1 - One Piece 73 (3,010,801 copies)
2 - One Piece 74 (2,834,558 copies)
3 - One Piece 75 (2,698,071 copies)
4 - Shingeki no Kyojin 13 (1,921,457 copies)
5 - Shingeki no Kyojin 12 (1,895,305 copies)
6 - Shingeki no Kyojin 14 (1,773,871 copies)
7 - Naruto 67 (1,106,651 copies)
8 - Naruto 68 (1,098,121 copies)
9 - Kimi ni Todoke 21 (1,031,380 copies)
10 - Naruto 69 (1,007,954 copies)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank1201/index05.html

*vomits*

RangerBAD

Kanata

NMQslx6.png

An one shot by Syun Matsuena about modern day ninjas.

I liked it. Typical ninja actions with childhood friends but it was nicely done. The action was nice and while it didn't go the typical route I expected ninja based stories to go, it still looks pretty interesting to become a full series.

Yeah, at first I thought it was sort of another Kenichi style story (training in martial arts), but I really liked the twist.

Revo

Adventure of Sinbad 42

The obvious method going forward.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 148

Should have done it, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

its been doing quite well this month with vol 32 though

but was basically non existent throughout the majority of the year

Odds that Mine and Esdeath both die and Tatsumi ends up with Akame at the end of the series meaning Akame's main reason for being in the series was to be in the title and the MC's end game waifu/love interest?

Dresden

Esdeath isn't dying here. They've set up Akame being the one to kill her for a long time.

Picture of final battle:

goku is tatsumi and piccolo is akame

and then tatsumi goes to hvn and marries mine ~true wub~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom