• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Busshi no Busshin - Kamakura Hanbun Busshiroku 1

Hrm, interesting. Completely depends on where it goes with this though since we're not offered much insight on how the series will progress.

Haven't read Nisekoi but this interests me....

Is Nisekoi good?

its a masterpiece

trap.png

Revo

Shinomiya-kun no Sekai ga Owatte mo 1

Bluh, description gives further insight than the first chapter does.
Her affection is nice so maybe it will be okay.

dani_dc

I learned to not 'read' Magical Girl Kosaki-chan before sleeping in the future. I ended up dreaming I was playing a bad action game adaptation of it for Vita, including dungeons painted with Kozaki spritesheets.

The magic of plot-based upgrades. I think Esdeath said something about Incursio giving him cold-resistance now and since her power is basically freezing time, he's able to bypass it because manga? I'm thinking once he attacked her the ability's effect ended because she was distracted. But she has another ace up her sleeve, so it's really just a question of whom she kills with it.

On the second point, I'm almost hoping Mine kills Esdeath (even though that's realistically something only Akame or Tatsumi will do) just for the fan rage.

It wasn't just Incursio either, everyone seemed able to not freeze right away, including Akane and Leone.

I'm all up for the author to make the fanbase suffer, that's what Esdeath would had wanted.

Haven't read Nisekoi but this interests me....

Is Nisekoi good?

If you want to read something for some comedy and amusing reaction faces I'd say it's a good choice. If you want a good romance series then look elsewhere.

Usobuko

Banned
To think that 3 years ago One Piece was outselling the next 7 series combined.

It suffered quite a big drop in sales (sold 3 times less compared to 2011).

It's fine individual volume wise, I guess? The recent volumes of One Piece still cross the 3m mark eventually.

I think that was just the anime boom period when the Marineford arc was in its peak point, so all the previous volumes of OP got a boost.

Zweizer

Banned
It's fine individual volume wise, I guess? The recent volumes of One Piece still cross the 3m mark eventually.

I think that was just the anime boom period when the Marineford arc was in its peak point, so all the previous volumes of OP got a boost.

You're right, the big jump in sales occured thanks to the Marineford arc (and probably Strong World as well). For comparison:

One Piece volume sales by year:​
  • 2008 : 5 956 540
  • 2009: 14 721 241
  • 2010: 32 343 809
  • 2011: 37 996 373
  • 2012: 23 464 866
  • 2013: 18 151 599
  • 2014: 11 885 957

Strong World was screened in December 2009, and the Marineford arc lasted from 2009 to 2010 in the manga and from 2010 to 2011 in the anime.

dani_dc

You're right, the big jump in sales occured thanks to the Marineford arc (and probably Strong World as well). For comparison:

Strong World was screened in December 2009, and the Marineford arc lasted from 2009 to 2010 in the manga and from 2010 to 2011 in the anime.

Time to kill Law and get a new boost in sales.

So people just buy not the entire manga but their favorite arcs? I didn't think of that.

Zweizer

Banned
Time to kill Law and get a new boost in sales.

I wonder if Dragon Ball had experienced a boost in sales when Goku got killed the first time.

So people just buy not the entire manga but their favorite arcs? I didn't think of that.

I think it's more likely that a bunch of new readers got introduced to the series during that period. The sales of the newly released volumes back then weren't much higher than usual (2-3 million). In fact, the first volume of One Piece sold half a million in 2011.

Akito

Nah, those crazy sale numbers in 2010-2011 came to be cause thanks to Strong Works/Marineford OP became a national phenomenon in Japan and everyone were rushing out to buy all the old volumes in order to catch up. After that phase was over the overall sales became pretty much"normal" again while the sale numbers for individual volumes have been declining only a little bit.

Revo

Fukushuu Kyoushitsu/Revenge Classroom 1

Girl who was horribly bullied at school decides to get revenge on all her classmates after being pushed into traffic.

Better than I thought it be (had extremely low expectations), although it will still probably turn out to be generic horrorish trash.

Manga Sales by Series
*1. 11,885,957 One Piece
*2. 11,728,368 Shingeki no Kyojin
*3. *8,283,709 Haikyuu!!
*4. *6,946,203 Tokyo Ghoul
*5. *6,729,439 Kuroko no Basket
*6. *5,505,179 Naruto
*7. *4,681,031 Diamond no Ace
*8. *4,657,971 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
*9. *4,633,246 Nanatsu no Taizai
10. *4,622,108 Assassination Classroom
11. *4,385,701 Hoozuki no Reitetsu
12. *4,295,257 Terra Formars
13. *4,166,875 Ao Haru Ride
14. *4,098,510 Yowamushi Pedal
15. *3,957,991 Gin no Saji
16. *3,816,372 Nisekoi
17. *3,275,885 Fairy Tail
18. *2,986,968 Bleach
19. *2,644,122 Shokugeki no Souma
20. *2,588,791 Youkai Watch
21. *2,516,278 Kingdom
22. *2,472,101 Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu.
23. *2,397,887 Kimi ni Todoke
24. *2,394,263 Gintama
25. *2,380,774 Detective Conan
26. *2,289,738 Kuroshitsuji
27. *2,231,805 Noragami
28. *2,173,339 One Punch-Man
29. *1,967,675 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-ku

Japan Tengu Party vol 4

I'm firing my lazzorz!

End. Though the tengu party is destroyed, the still lingering subplots doesn't make me feel as if the climax was really reached.
Will fake Shinobu die soon now that Mr. Z left? Will real Shinobu return to her bf? Will the brother reunite with any of them? the uncle left him with the doll leaving him behind again! And the encounter with Shinobu and the Master was too brief.
Apart that the whole weird tengu-human-animal thing came out of left field, almost a Deus Ex Machina. Same as Mr. Z leaving them conveniently just at the end.

Shengar

Japan Tengu Party vol 4

I'm firing my lazzorz!

End. Though the tengu party is destroyed, the still lingering subplots doesn't make me feel as if the climax was really reached.
Will fake Shinobu die soon now that Mr. Z left? Will real Shinobu return to her bf? Will the brother reunite with any of them? the uncle left him with the doll leaving him behind again! And the encounter with Shinobu and the Master was too brief.
Apart that the whole weird tengu-human-animal thing came out of left field, almost a Deus Ex Machina. Same as Mr. Z leaving them conveniently just at the end.

Japan Tengu Party is mostly about existentialism more than anything else, and for me the author really managed to deliver it beautifully. Anything beyond that is kinda irrelevant and unnecessary to be finished because the main question is already asked and answered.

Japan Tengu Party is mostly about existentialism more than anything else, and for me the author really managed to deliver it beautifully. Anything beyond that is kinda irrelevant and unnecessary to be finished because the main question is already asked and answered.

That part is done right, yeah.

Revo

It's a revolutionary tale on how long you can actually have something go on without advancing the plot further than where it was in the first chapter.

Manga Sales by Series
*1. 11,885,957 One Piece
*2. 11,728,368 Shingeki no Kyojin
*3. *8,283,709 Haikyuu!!
*4. *6,946,203 Tokyo Ghoul
*5. *6,729,439 Kuroko no Basket
*6. *5,505,179 Naruto
*7. *4,681,031 Diamond no Ace
*8. *4,657,971 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
*9. *4,633,246 Nanatsu no Taizai
10. *4,622,108 Assassination Classroom
11. *4,385,701 Hoozuki no Reitetsu
12. *4,295,257 Terra Formars
13. *4,166,875 Ao Haru Ride
14. *4,098,510 Yowamushi Pedal
15. *3,957,991 Gin no Saji
16. *3,816,372 Nisekoi
17. *3,275,885 Fairy Tail
18. *2,986,968 Bleach
19. *2,644,122 Shokugeki no Souma
20. *2,588,791 Youkai Watch
21. *2,516,278 Kingdom
22. *2,472,101 Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu.
23. *2,397,887 Kimi ni Todoke
24. *2,394,263 Gintama
25. *2,380,774 Detective Conan
26. *2,289,738 Kuroshitsuji
27. *2,231,805 Noragami
28. *2,173,339 One Punch-Man
29. *1,967,675 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-ku

I'm still suprised at Tokyo Ghoul making it in the top 5. I mean 20th Century Boys made it in the top 5 in 2008 and it's been about 6 years since any other Seinen manga made it in the top 5. This is really great for Seinen. And also seeing OnePunch Man is nice.

Marche90

It's been a while since I last came here.

Half & Half One-shot version

This title was serialized after this one shot was published in 2008, but I'm still debating if I'm going to read it or not, seeing how this was made by ManGAF's favorite mangaka Seo Kouji. There's and even earlier version of this, published in 1996, and seemingly the first work published from Seo, but I couldn't find that version.

Anyway, short and bittersweet is how I'm going to define this title. Two persons who don't know each other, an artist and a college student, die in the same accident, and they both are granted one more week to live. The catch is that they need to live together, since they will die if they separate from one another and they share everything that happens to them, be it pain or their feelings, so they will know if one of them is lying, for example. At the end of the week after sharing their feelings due to the circumstances they realize that they like one another, but in the end the girl decides to sacrifice herself so that the guy can live his dream of becoming an artist. It is revealed that the girl was dying anyway and that the day that they died she had fled from the hospital to be able to live as a normal girl for the rest of the six-month period that she had to live and she was happy to have managed to live as a normal girl in love with somebody and with him for that week.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but I'm afraid to read the serialization. After all, we all know how Seo's stories tend to be (and holy shit, ANOTHER serialization from him. This is the, what, fourth? concurrent serialization he has)

VRMN

It's because she's a terrible character.
I don't see it. She's never done anything that stood out particularly negatively in my eyes. Kind of a jerk early on, but in this series that's kind of nothing given the shit Esdeath has pulled with minimal in story or fan-based repercussion.

I guess I'm looking for something more concrete than "she's a terrible character" because that's just another way of saying you don't like her and there are usually reasons for that.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Tokyo Ghoul Re 8

Wow.... All of them have joined Aogiri Tree. I honestly think Tokyo Ghoul Re has surpassed its predecessor by a lot. The writing, the hints, the character development, its all there. Not only that, Haise recognizes that he is not the true personality. I'm assuming he wanted to run away from his harsh past after the whole war between the CCG and ghouls. The only thing I don't understand is why Kaneki agreed to losing his memories and forming a new personality? Not only that, I don't know why everyone joined Aogiri Tree! I'm assuming once Haise see's the woman who gave him the ghoul organs, Kaneki will resurface again. This story is just getting better and better! AquaWateria, I need your input on this too ghoul brother!!! I think you're the only person here who is as passionate about the series as I am.

Tokyo Ghoul Re 8

Wow.... All of them have joined Aogiri Tree. I honestly think Tokyo Ghoul Re has surpassed its predecessor by a lot. The writing, the hints, the character development, its all there. Not only that, Haise recognizes that he is not the true personality. I'm assuming he wanted to run away from his harsh past after the whole war between the CCG and ghouls. The only thing I don't understand is why Kaneki agreed to losing his memories and forming a new personality? Not only that, I don't know why everyone joined Aogiri Tree! I'm assuming once Haise see's the woman who gave him the ghoul organs, Kaneki will resurface again. This story is just getting better and better! AquaWateria, I need your input on this too ghoul brother!!! I think you're the only person here who is as passionate about the series as I am.

Here's My Impression Of Chapter 8

BTHeWTh.jpg

My heart damnit, there is no sense of happiness for this guy 😩
Fuck why are you lying Kaneki.
Damn Kaneki brought back his old habit of touching his chin. Which was mentioned by Hide in Tokyo Ghoul when he was talking to Touka, that when Kaneki touches his chin he's lying. Fuck the poor fool is never happy wherever he goes.
Ishida you just keep on increasing the suffering 😞

And holy shit Arima's and Kaneki's relationship completely relates to "A Crossbreed" by Kafka (http://www.thecry.com/existentialism/kafka/crossbreed.html Heres a short of it). This is really deep.

Finally that cliffhanger with Ayato, which means Hinami might show up. Yeah things aren't gonna go well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Akame Ga Kill
Some interesting power boosts this chapter. Finally got an explanation for Esdeath's "Marupanda" technique. Well somewhat. Now Budo is about tear things up.

Fairy Tail 411

Why didn't Natsu go into dragon force since the beginning? Whatever. Time to see END. And show Achnologia Hiro! Best Dragon ever.

Mein status check

I don't see it. She's never done anything that stood out particularly negatively in my eyes. Kind of a jerk early on, but in this series that's kind of nothing given the shit Esdeath has pulled with minimal in story or fan-based repercussion.

I guess I'm looking for something more concrete than "she's a terrible character" because that's just another way of saying you don't like her and there are usually reasons for that.

Food for thought: Mein is my favorite character in AGK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom