• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

Tokyo Ghoul Re 8

Wow.... All of them have joined Aogiri Tree. I honestly think Tokyo Ghoul Re has surpassed its predecessor by a lot. The writing, the hints, the character development, its all there. Not only that, Haise recognizes that he is not the true personality. I'm assuming he wanted to run away from his harsh past after the whole war between the CCG and ghouls. The only thing I don't understand is why Kaneki agreed to losing his memories and forming a new personality? Not only that, I don't know why everyone joined Aogiri Tree! I'm assuming once Haise see's the woman who gave him the ghoul organs, Kaneki will resurface again. This story is just getting better and better! AquaWateria, I need your input on this too ghoul brother!!! I think you're the only person here who is as passionate about the series as I am.

The only one I remember joining Aogiri Tree is Hinami. Nishiki's comment on CCG experiments being the same as Aogiri's seemed distasteful to me, so I don't think he's part of them. I think he just wanted to take Torso for himself, not to protect him or anything. The bunny mask is probably Touka's brother who was with Aogiri in the first place due to the colour of the mask.

dani_dc

Eroge no Taiyou 14

There are very good reason to have the team leader being in charge of scheadules positions be filled by different people, the issue in real game companies tend to be the existence of a disconnect between those two people.
Here's hoping this doesn't backfire on them.

I'm still suprised at Tokyo Ghoul making it in the top 5. I mean 20th Century Boys made it in the top 5 in 2008 and it's been about 6 years since any other Seinen manga made it in the top 5. This is really great for Seinen. And also seeing OnePunch Man is nice.

If you consider TG seinen... and Shingeki no Kyojin?

VRMN

If you consider TG seinen... and Shingeki no Kyojin?
Isn't demographic determined by the publication it's serialized in? Tokyo Ghoul was published in a seinen imprint, therefore it's seinen. Attack on Titan is published in a shounen magazine, therefore it's shounen.

(for the record, the shounen/seinen split says literally nothing about content. Akame ga Kill is shounen. K-On! is seinen.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma 96

dat page 2 spread amirite

Also, continued defeat flags for the other two. Hayama in particular given he's still suggesting Souma actually sucks at cooking.

Why do some people consider Tokyo Ghoul as Shonen, like I want to know why. I mean yeah it does contain more battles latter on, but it still retains it's psychologically aspect. You see this with Kaneki going insane and realizing his faults. Also the author uses Tarot cards to give depth to his characters, for example Kaneki is given the Hanged Man tarot card. Which correlates to his specific actions in the manga. But yeah I would like to know why it may be seen as shonen by others, unless the reason is just the battles.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why do some people consider Tokyo Ghoul as Shonen, like I want to know why. I mean yeah it does contain more battles latter on, but it still retains it's psychologically aspect. You see this with Kaneki going insane and realizing his faults. Also the author uses Tarot cards to give depth to his characters, for example Kaneki is given the Hanged Man tarot card. Which correlates to his specific actions in the manga. But yeah I would like to know why it may be seen as shonen by others, unless the reason is just the battles.

Do we really need to argue about meaningless classifications?

Isn't demographic determined by the publication it's serialized in? Tokyo Ghoul was published in a seinen imprint, therefore it's seinen. Attack on Titan is published in a shounen magazine, therefore it's shounen.

(for the record, the shounen/seinen split says literally nothing about content. Akame ga Kill is shounen. K-On! is seinen.)

Demographics is determined by that, demographics, which is the average age of the reader of the work.

and it isn't so clear, as there are some magazines which publish a more eclectic choice of works, like shojo, seinen and josei, and others specialize in the demographics just in between shonen and seinen, and it's kind of blurry.

Tosh sure does love to draw Erina as the most beautiful girl in the manga.

1417416859220hwi39.jpg

dramatis

Official classification is designated based on what the manga runs in.

Actual story tells you what type it really is, and Tokyo Ghoul is pretty much shounen.

Tosh sure does love to draw Erina as the most beautiful girl in the manga.
The most beautiful girl was probably the goth yandere back when she got cleansed for one panel lol.

Nightbird

So i am currently looking into starting Tokyo Gohul, but even after reading the Summary on MH i still have no real idea what the Story is about, why so many people love it.

Could someone please explain the appeal of the Story to me?

Angry Grimace

Technically, Erina is in this chapter notwithstanding the spread page.

dramatis

So i am currently looking into starting Tokyo Gohul, but even after reading the Summary on MH i still have no real idea what the Story is about, why so many people love it.

Could someone please explain the appeal of the Story to me?
Tokyo Ghoul takes place in a world where Ghouls, a species that visually resemble humans, exist. To survive, they have to eat human meat. The main character, Kaneki (a human) is caught up in some events that result in the implantation of ghoul organs inside him. Subsequently as a half-human, half-ghoul, he has to learn about ghouls and figure out how to survive in the world now as both.

That's the appealing part. There is a colorful cast of characters that you may like. While the human-ghoul dilemma exists in the initial part of the story, it disappears in favor of power level action battles. By the time you get there, you may feel invested enough that it's ok to polish off the rest of the series—and that's fine, since it is short compared to other 'battle action'-type series.

Nightbird

Tokyo Ghoul takes place in a world where Ghouls, a species that visually resemble humans, exist. To survive, they have to eat human meat. The main character, Kaneki (a human) is caught up in some events that result in the implantation of ghoul organs inside him. Subsequently as a half-human, half-ghoul, he has to learn about ghouls and figure out how to survive in the world now as both.

That's the appealing part. There is a colorful cast of characters that you may like. While the human-ghoul dilemma exists in the initial part of the story, it disappears in favor of power level action battles. By the time you get there, you may feel invested enough that it's ok to polish off the rest of the series—and that's fine, since it is short compared to other 'battle action'-type series.

Sounds good, i'll give it a read starting tomorrow. I think i will update my progress in this thread :)

Zweizer

Banned
The most beautiful girl was probably the goth yandere back when she got cleansed for one panel lol.

She needs to make more appearances.

People need to be reminded she's an actual character in the series of course

So much trouble could have been avoided had the authors just put Erina in the title. That way they wouldn't need to bother with trying to shoehorn her in every chapter just to remind the readers of her existence.

She needs to make more appearances.

So much trouble could have been avoided had the authors just put Erina in the title. That way they wouldn't need to bother with trying to shoehorn her in every chapter just to remind the readers of her existence.

If she was in the title, she might be killed by....I don't know, a random flying knife.

I might actually miss these days when people joke about Erina's non screen-time until she inevitably takes the reigns as the main rival again and starts appearing with Soma in every chapter.

dani_dc

Half & Half 10

Might be time to reconsider your life if a virgin girl tells you that you suck at sex.

Of course no one will actually commit suicide next chapter.

I wonder how many more chapters of this we have, can't see Seo stretching too much.

Zweizer

Banned
Touch v18-21

Tatsuya is a beast. That beatdown on Yoshida is so satisfying.

Guess I can take jerk coach off the shit list.

Thank fuck glasses wimp stopped playing. Dude was a liability.

Kieli

Soma's Shokugeki

Alice's mother is pretty darn cute. And scary. But mostly cute.

Nice contrast between Soma and his pops. Still kinda surprised that Gin won against the Asura. But that just highlights how badass he is.

Angry Grimace

Soma's Shokugeki

Nice contrast between Soma and his pops. Still kinda surprised that Gin won against the Asura. But that just highlights how badass he is.

Character reactions to Alice's mom: "Oh wow, look how white her skin is!" *Character has identical skin color to every other non-Nikumi, non Hayama character*

I don't think it was ever stated he did. The Classic tournament isn't FOR anything in particular, so winning it doesn't mean you get to be 1st chair or even any chair.

Furyous

Fury 9

Let's talk about the Lei Xiang for a minute. LOL............
He's so innocent and pure but this dynamic between upbringing as a mixed breed in demon territory that now lives in human territory.

This chapter is hilarious with his greeting to the horse and his struggle to eat food.

Zweizer

Banned
Touch v22-26 (End)

Not particularily fond of the whole "being Katsuya" thing. Good thing the coach called him out on it.

Well, the match against Sumi Tech ended the way I expected. The results at Koushien, not so much.

That whole idol business felt awkward as hell, but good on him for finally fessing up. "Softball boxing" might be the funniest thing in the whole series.

All in all, a pretty great manga that was enjoyable in its entirety.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Akame ga Kill 54
Oh boy, power up time! Next chapter someone definitely going to killed.

Jojo Bizarre Adventure Beetle Tendency 37

Oh boy, that counterattack. Next chapter, Jousuke going to explain stuff on how he defeat Joubin.

Angry Grimace

I cant wait to see his defeated face. I truly wish Souma was Toriko's partner.

Just read some spoilers for the latest looks to be good

Man i want to go throught the spoilers so much but IIRC after chapter 8 you have to pay for them on this one site.

You probably are reading spoilers since I'm talking about the chapter that came out today. I guess the same thing happened. :lol

Tetsugaku Letra 1-17

"In middle school, Ichinose Kimitaka taught his friends how to play basketball. Despite his experience with the sport, his friends quickly outmatched him in skill. After an incident brought on by his frustration and jealousy, he was crushed to overhear those same 'friends' discussing how they wished he'd just kill himself.

On his way to toss out his special basketball shoes, he met a girl who was just as frustrated, throwing her own dancing shoes away. She was so tall, and her hands and feet are so large, that she had been rejected from her chosen hobby of Spanish dancing. He urged her to give basketball a try, and the two exchanged their shoes instead of throwing them away." from mangaupdates

What an excellent manga. The main theme is how meeting new people can change both of them for better.

When the manga begins the MC is a recluse due to the incident he caused on his previous school. But after learning about how the girl he exchanged shoes became a basketball player, he wonders if he is able to change too. Thus, he seeks to learn spanish dancing in order to change himself.

Through the story, he makes new friends both of them that have their own problems and a retired dance teacher. Their meeting is the beginning of a great story of friendship, conquering of one's fear and discovery of their own self.

The characters are absolutely great, all of them have their own problems to deal and its only through the interaction between them that they are able to move on. It reinforces that having people you can talk to, be willing to talk to them and seeking to understand them you can sort things out. I love the MC family.

The art is pretty great too. I really recommend that you read this manga, its a great story of friendship and change of a person into someone better.

Rhapsody

Banned
Akame ga Kill 54

Everytime Akame has that face, saying she's glad that everyone's safe, it always feels so foreboding.

Looks like Budo is fine, as expected. Dealing with him and Esdeath is going to be quite difficult.

Akito

Tetsugaku Letra 1-17

"In middle school, Ichinose Kimitaka taught his friends how to play basketball. Despite his experience with the sport, his friends quickly outmatched him in skill. After an incident brought on by his frustration and jealousy, he was crushed to overhear those same 'friends' discussing how they wished he'd just kill himself.

On his way to toss out his special basketball shoes, he met a girl who was just as frustrated, throwing her own dancing shoes away. She was so tall, and her hands and feet are so large, that she had been rejected from her chosen hobby of Spanish dancing. He urged her to give basketball a try, and the two exchanged their shoes instead of throwing them away." from mangaupdates

What an excellent manga. The main theme is how meeting new people can change both of them for better.

When the manga begins the MC is a recluse due to the incident he caused on his previous school. But after learning about how the girl he exchanged shoes became a basketball player, he wonders if he is able to change too. Thus, he seeks to learn spanish dancing in order to change himself.

Through the story, he makes new friends both of them that have their own problems and a retired dance teacher. Their meeting is the beginning of a great story of friendship, conquering of one's fear and discovery of their own self.

The characters are absolutely great, all of them have their own problems to deal and its only through the interaction between them that they are able to move on. It reinforces that having people you can talk to, be willing to talk to them and seeking to understand them you can sort things out. I love the MC family.

The art is pretty great too. I really recommend that you read this manga, its a great story of friendship and change of a person into someone better.
aka "character development" the manga. Mizu Sahara has a knack for creating likeable characters.

Shengar

Soma's Shokugeki

Alice's mother makes appearance?
Why nobody told me about this before D:

Character reactions to Alice's mom: "Oh wow, look how white her skin is!" *Character has identical skin color to every other non-Nikumi, non Hayama character*

I don't think it was ever stated he did. The Classic tournament isn't FOR anything in particular, so winning it doesn't mean you get to be 1st chair or even any chair.

Also it's stated that Soma's dad often plays around in Shokugekis, losing for making the weirdest dishes.

EDIT: I just realised I knew what Soma made. I buy it once a month.

The pickled fish tastes great.

Shengar

Alice have paler skin than other in color page. Obviously it wouldn't make no difference in non colored page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom