• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun ch58

Oh, Nozaki.

Also, someone should arrest Maeno.

Himouto! Umaru-chan ch41.5

Poor girl. He's too dense for that.

Shin Kurosawa ch4

Well, uh, that's Kurosawa alright.

Tokyo DTED ch9.5

Some tidbits of how things go in a cabaret.

Dragons Rioting 20

Man I wish they would catch up on this series but I'll take what I can. Rintaro's dad is hella awesome! Also this new arc looks to be a great one!

Re: Favorite Covers:
Acz0UDn.jpg
0kr0Vhd.jpg

zGcobmk.jpg
OeXWFxJ.png

Or basically anything done by Hayakawa Nojiko.

Meguro

Banned
Thanks for all the additional welcomes. You sure all reply fast, which is unusual to me.
Regarding the recommendations I'll try checking them all out. One thing is if a manga has an anime adaptation, chances are I've seen it, which is the case with Tokyo Ghoul and Barakamon. I dropped Tokyo Ghoul around EP 3, is the manga better?

_hekk05

Banned
Akito's laptop is kaput? RIP keijo trans

Only about 10 homeworks left and 4 exams, and I can finally get back to chatting with zweizer my kouhai-kun.

dani_dc

Damn I'm reading those already.

Warning that Prison School is pretty lewd, don't read it in public, or read it in public if that's your thing.

Misread what you said, ignore me!

Thanks for all the additional welcomes. You sure all reply fast, which is unusual to me.
Regarding the recommendations I'll try checking them all out. One thing is if a manga has an anime adaptation, chances are I've seen it, which is the case with Tokyo Ghoul and Barakamon. I dropped Tokyo Ghoul around EP 3, is the manga better?

From what I hear Tokyo Ghoul adaptation wasn't particularly good, but I haven't seen it myself.

bigkrev

Hey MangaGAF, this is my first post on GAF and what better place than discussion on manga to start off with. So yeah, Hi!

Also, since I feel like I have to, here is my Nisekoi Girl ranking:

Marika>Tsugumi>Haru>Yui>Onodera>Chitoge

You have Onedera near the bottom and Tsugumi near the top, so your list checks out. Welcome!
Re: Favorite Covers:

Or basically anything done by Hayakawa Nojiko.

Can't believe these slipped my mind. Best covers ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Poor Kurosaki at Miyamura's face lol. At least he gets some alone time with him end of chapter.

Kind of wish we werent doing the witches ceremony plot again.

For the uninitiated, DTL is actually talking about a guy who is legitimately hot for another guy for once. I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day; once in a blue moon DTL's not in fantasy yaoi land. Although its pretty ambiguous whether the other party swings that way, although I'm sure DTL thinks its clear cut (Miyamura clearly likes girls, but its sort of ambiguous whether he's down with guys also).

Tamaki finally getting his chance to impress Odagiri, but he's obviously gonna mess it up since Tamaki is always the butt monkey.

Zweizer

Banned
Children Can't Choose Their Parents by Mihara Mitsukazu

Well, um, quite the chick we have here.
I'm so sorry.

Suki mo Yoi by Futami Sui

A collection of short stories with most of them focusing on romance. I really liked the chapters depicting the world of doujinshi artists, which feature the mother of the year. The one about a group of MMO players felt rather dragged out though.

Read the manga of Tokyo Ghoul it's far superior. The anime fails as an adaptation, it leaves out a lot of things. The manga is one of my top favorite series, so I hope you read it.

Ayumi

Oh my god. I haven't thought of this series since the OVA aired. The manga is way more graphic and I feel both happy I started now, and sad that I didn't start reading it sooner.

Why can't Riko-nee accidentally land her soft and delicious cameltoe on my face too.. (´;ω;`)

Seitokai Yakuindomo 184-200

Still my favorite 4-koma. I feel like somehow the Anime is even better.

I should go watch the S2 OVAs sometime.

Big One

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul FINISHED

It took me a bit, but now with my Nexus 7 I can read manga a lot faster than I could on a computer. It's not like reading on the computer is bad, but being able to take something everywhere and read manga on it has helped me finally finish this series. Anyway...

I really enjoyed what I read here, the strongest elements of the series being the world and character arcs. Easily some of the best shonen manga I've read as of recent next to Kingdom. The art is a bit sloppy and the story can be as well at times, but if you're looking for a manga that will give proper resolutions to character arcs and world building then Tokyo Ghoul is just as strong as anything else.

There's an innate skill in being able to take tiny details and make them into something special and sensible to the setting, laying down layers of foreshadowing that in the end resolves like it should be and if it hasn't it WILL resolve. Sui Ishida has a bright future ahead of him and once he edges out a lot of his issues he can only go up from there.

The characters can become overwhelming sob at times, but I felt Sui Ishida did a good way at developing them to make it feel natural with both the setting they're in and the character arcs they're intertwining with. At heart, Tokyo Ghoul is ultimately a tragedy about the cruel reality of the struggles of ghouls in a human world. (well, reality in terms of the setting that is)

I really enjoyed the overall dark fantasy feeling as well. The entire setting reminds me of the countless modern vampire settings we see in more Western fiction. Tokyo Ghoul is a Japanese take on something like Vampire: The Masquerade, and it's awesome.

The various cliffhangers at the end have me looking for more as well. I won't spoil them, but they're pretty big bombshells that have me wanting to pretty much read any Tokyo Ghoul material in the near future. I notice it has two running series out right now, so I'll definitely jump on them when I get the chance.

Overall: B+

Sai

Seitokai Yakuindomo 184-200

Still my favorite 4-koma. I feel like somehow the Anime is even better.

I should go watch the S2 OVAs sometime.
I hope we get an update on this soon. Sometimes the periods between batch releases seem so long, that I think the project's been dropped.

Arachnid 43

The ant's evidently a graduate from the yandere school of friendship, I'd question the wisdom of wrapping that thread around the arm of someone 20x stronger than you, but I'm sure Alice knows what she's doing. Just like she knew what she was doing when she saved cricket from getting shish kebab'ed.

Hey guys, what's your top favorite Manga covers that you really adore?
This may or may not be a manga cover.

Hey MangaGAF, this is my first post on GAF and what better place than discussion on manga to start off with. So yeah, Hi!

You're missing Ruri, and Tsugumi needs to be about 14 places to the right, but otherwise this is pretty good. Also welcome.

Quasar

You put Shitoge last at least. welcome.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hayate no Gotoku 475

"Why are you dressed as a maid?" lol

I can't remember when was the last time Sakuya appeared. Nice to see her back, even if it was brief.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

A+ first post; F rankings

Revo

Sket Dance 280

My first reaction was like wtf, such a big thing at the end is going to ruin my perfect feel good ending since there's only this last volume. But now I'm just going to be wary, I believe in the Sket Dan to deliver a great ending to this story.

_hekk05

Banned
Here's hoping for you to get tied down by your studies for as long as possible.

Zweizer-kun so tsun~~

Iyaan~

Onodera is not last

why
Welcome to NisekoiGaf

Tokyo Ghoul FINISHED

It took me a bit, but now with my Nexus 7 I can read manga a lot faster than I could on a computer. It's not like reading on the computer is bad, but being able to take something everywhere and read manga on it has helped me finally finish this series. Anyway...

I really enjoyed what I read here, the strongest elements of the series being the world and character arcs. Easily some of the best shonen manga I've read as of recent next to Kingdom. The art is a bit sloppy and the story can be as well at times, but if you're looking for a manga that will give proper resolutions to character arcs and world building then Tokyo Ghoul is just as strong as anything else.

There's an innate skill in being able to take tiny details and make them into something special and sensible to the setting, laying down layers of foreshadowing that in the end resolves like it should be and if it hasn't it WILL resolve. Sui Ishida has a bright future ahead of him and once he edges out a lot of his issues he can only go up from there.

The characters can become overwhelming sob at times, but I felt Sui Ishida did a good way at developing them to make it feel natural with both the setting they're in and the character arcs they're intertwining with. At heart, Tokyo Ghoul is ultimately a tragedy about the cruel reality of the struggles of ghouls in a human world. (well, reality in terms of the setting that is)

I really enjoyed the overall dark fantasy feeling as well. The entire setting reminds me of the countless modern vampire settings we see in more Western fiction. Tokyo Ghoul is a Japanese take on something like Vampire: The Masquerade, and it's awesome.

The various cliffhangers at the end have me looking for more as well. I won't spoil them, but they're pretty big bombshells that have me wanting to pretty much read any Tokyo Ghoul material in the near future. I notice it has two running series out right now, so I'll definitely jump on them when I get the chance.

Overall: B+

Great impression, I enjoyed reading it. The only series that's ongoing is Tokyo Ghoul:re the sequel of Tokyo Ghoul. The other one has already ended called Tokyo Ghoul:Jack a prequel about Arima.

Soma 97
"I cooked seafood my whole life and have no idea what you're doing."

"I have a super nose and can't smell what you did to your fish. Congrats on third place."

Angry Grimace

Soma 97
"I cooked seafood my whole life and have no idea what you're doing."

"I have a super nose and can't smell what you did to your fish. Congrats on third place."

Having the opponents both be ignorant arrogant guys is a pretty serious blunder on the author's part unless Kurokiba is going to pick up on it and take it more seriously.

Having the opponents both be ignorant arrogant guys is a pretty serious blunder on the author's part unless Kurokiba is going to pick up on it and take it more seriously.

I'm not even reading it but man those red flags are fucking massive and unless the author pulls a huge troll then those 2 need to hold that shit deep.

At least we would be nearer to ending this arc and getting to the good stuff finally because fuck all 3 of those guys .

ckEUdH0.png

I'm not seeing what's so scary about it?

That's just the norm for your regular, she's going to stab him and kiss him while he's bleeding, yandere girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom