• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Getenrou by Ishiguro Masakazu

A work that manages to transition flawlessly from a comedic and offbeat tone to a depressingly dour one while betraying the readers' expectations at every turn all to the tune of themes such as ethics in genetics and robots. And mysteries.

Amazing.

Zweizer, you can PM or post more romance/serious smut. I'm hankering for some good romance!

Akito

Touch v23-26 (obv spoilers)

Time passed really quickly. Glad to see that they won.
Another similar Cross Game ending pitch, but I guess that's how it'll always be for pitchers.
I thought that the idol stuff was whatever but since they weren't going to show Koshien then it's fine. Had to fill the air and give Tatsuya some thinking time.

Coach redeemed himself to me and I'm glad to see that they all cared about each other in their own ways.

----------

Overall thoughts about reading Touch, the series itself, and how I feel about it compared to Cross Game

In the beginning I was actually pretty excited to start reading Touch. Coming off the Suzuka reading club I had planned to read all the volumes early so there could be discussion. Sadly that didn't pan out. I stopped in week 2, never felt like reading it, and then sped through the rest of the volumes these past 2 days. Adachi manga really do go fast, or at least feel really fast. I don't think my experience of reading it worsened compared to if I had stuck to the 5vol/week. I wish I did, but it didn't end up happening.

Onto Touch. Overall it was quite the solid read. It had a good amount of funny moments, good baseball, good enough characters. Very enjoyable, I don't think I found myself disliking reading it at any point during the 257 chapters. Romance was whatever, but considering how it was set up I never expected it to go far. Romantic rivals never did anything worthwhile to possibly arouse any suspicion of it going a different way. Even though I've only read Cross Game and Mix from Adachi the only real way I have to describe this is: Yep, this is an Adachi manga. I bet most/all of his series will have the same feeling as each other, probably all similar formulas etc. Not saying this is a bad thing, I'll probably enjoy any other Adachi work I get around to reading, but you'll get what you know you're going to get.

I can definitely say that I enjoyed Cross Game a whole lot more. I found it funnier and the characters much more enjoyable. Not to say that the characters in Touch were bad, but they really can't compare to the ones in Cross Game. Cross Game characters feel like they had much more of a presence than Touch's, but it's hard for Touch to beat something I'm really fond of (just like taysuya to kazuya heh). In terms of baseball, Touch would obviously win. Cross Game was never about the baseball so I wasn't expecting for it to be better than Touch in this regard. Another thing, and this is a purely personal thing, is that Touch never hooked me in. Yes it was an enjoyable experience, but it never really gripped me. It never made me feel that I had to keep reading this, that I'd throw off my sleep schedule to finish it tonight (this is a thing that happens to me when I find something I really like late at night). If I had to pick one reason why Cross Game will always be better for me, it would be that it really hooked me.

Overall, a very good read. Lacked for me what would make it something I would fervently support, but still very enjoyable.
Yeah I can totally see why someone who has read CG first wouldn't be blown away by Touch since those two series are particularly similar to each other and for Adachi that's saying something. Cross Game is like a more streamlined and enhanced version of Touch but the latter will probably always be my absolute favorite Adachi manga. Not just because of nostalgia (since my first Adachi manga was actually Katsu) but because of how much I could relate to Tatsuya
(no, I don't have a dead twin brother, or even just a brother to begin with)
and I liked Minami just as much
, perfect waifu material
. And the ending man, that declaration, never had Adachi took so much time for it and never will he ever again.

whoops i was too late.

Grimace already explained it

those descriptions might actually be a Nasu quirk since others (to my understanding) just alludes to it "feeling good".

though to be fair a huge chunk of them are still in Japanese so i can't read/understand jackshit (unless you want machine translated garbage)

I wonder if people actually enjoy those descriptions.

360pages

how do you feel about molluscs

Jars of meat.

Or how Shriou's dick has the force of a fire hydrant.

I like the Nasuverse but he can't write sex scenes worth shit. It works for normal description since there is always supposed to be an unsettling vibe from the world and characters. But for sex? Yeah...it doesn't transition well.

Usobuko

Banned
Getenrou by Ishiguro Masakazu

A work that manages to transition flawlessly from a comedic and offbeat tone to a depressingly dour one while betraying the readers' expectations at every turn all to the tune of themes such as ethics in genetics and robots. And mysteries.

Amazing.

so you like it as well.

Zweizer

Banned
Zweizer, you can PM or post more romance/serious smut. I'm hankering for some good romance!

I'll be going with the smut criteria. Have you read all of these?

• Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
  • Oddman 11
  • Yuricam
  • Love Tyrant
  • Tsugumomo
  • Boku Girl
  • Iinazuke Kyoutei
  • Keijo
  • Hozuki-san Chi no Aneki
  • Kanojo wa Sore o Gaman Dekinai

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah I can totally see why someone who has read CG first wouldn't be blown away by Touch since those two series are particularly similar to each other and for Adachi that's saying something. Cross Game is like a more streamlined and enhanced version of Touch but the latter will probably always be my absolute favorite Adachi manga. Not just because of nostalgia (since my first Adachi manga was actually Katsu) but because of how much I could relate to Tatsuya
(no, I don't have a dead twin brother, or even just a brother to begin with)
and I liked Minami just as much
, perfect waifu material
. And the ending man, that declaration, never had Adachi took so much time for it and never will he ever again.

I haven't read Cross Game yet. How similar is it to Touch?

Personally, I found all the girls in Touch meh.

so you like it as well.

Of course.

Did you expect me not to?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jars of meat.

Or how Shriou's dick has the force of a fire hydrant.

I like the Nasuverse but he can't write sex scenes worth shit. It works for normal description since there is always supposed to be an unsettling vibe from the world and characters. But for sex? Yeah...it doesn't transition well.

I don't really remember anything about fire hydrants. I just remember that sometimes it was difficult to tell whether Shirou was supposed to be in agony or something because the descriptions were so overwrought.

I heard of the "mollusc" before, I fear asking what the hell is "jars of meat" in the context of Nasu writing.

Spoiler for graphicness, not actual spoilers
Shirou's mid-coitus description of a girl riding him reverse cowgirl includes him directly comparing her vagina to pot of meat. He also describes a vagina as a carnivorous plant and again as a mollusk. All of them are Shirou colorfully explaining how he sees female anatomy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's be fair though the most indecent thing in F/SN is Kirei
eating mapo tofu

Zweizer

Banned
Nah, it's more of a good to see thing.

I admit this got me interested in the rest of the author's works. I'm alreading reading Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. What else would you suggest I check out?

More than any other 2 of his manga.
You wut m8

Does Adachi really love baseball or something?

I mean, personality-wise Minami is pretty good, but her entire existence seems to be here for the sake of supporting Tatsuya. I expected her to do more than that.

survivor

Banned
Terrarium in Drawer 1-4
GW4TeXM.jpg
Nice, someone actually cared enough to translate this, thought it was gonna be another manga stuck in raws hell. I remember when I flipped through the untranslated chapters long time ago, I was surprised by some of the creativity in the settings and art, good to see it being true while being able to read through it.

wonzo

Banned
The Black Knight Story
blackknightstory.png

left to right

The Japanese obsession with the german tank brigades never ceases to amaze as I'm more use to it being a smokescreen for closeted neo-nazi's in the west. Demonisation of the Soviets is kinda dumb (especially in the pointless bonus chapter) but understandable given this was from the heights of the Cold War. In spite of all this it's absolutely worth reading just for the crazy good art from beginning to end.

kinda odd was published to be read left to right in japan of all places

jman2050

Aho Girl 30

"If addition is just numbers going up... then times tables are just numbers going way up, right?"

I can't. I just...

I can't.

Bleach 608

In this chapter, Kubo accidentally spills ink on half the pages and then just runs with it

Nozaki-kun 58

Of course the type and shape of the glasses matter immensely!
Do these editors know nothing?

wonzo

Banned
I admit this got me interested in the rest of the author's works. I'm alreading reading Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. What else would you suggest I check out?

theres another series of his up on crunchyroll but p. much everything else is untranslated sans a few oneshots :(

Zweizer

Banned
Ms. Mayple's Afternoon Tea Time by Aoi Kuuta

The story of a maid android and her life of befriending townsfolks scarred by war and mechanical soldiers. The themes of discrimination and acceptance are rather straightforward, but the cute art and overflowing emotions make it pretty enjoyable to read through.

Can't help you here, that's the same two I read from him.
theres another series of his up on crunchyroll but p. much everything else is untranslated sans a few oneshots :(

Aww. Well, I'll try to read whatever's been translated then.

Akito

I mean, personality-wise Minami is pretty good, but her entire existence seems to be here for the sake of supporting Tatsuya. I expected her to do more than that.
A little bit, all of his arguably major works have been about baseball.
That's true though I liked how she always knew exactly what she wants and didn't shy away from taking the first step a few time to get Tatsuya out of his shell.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Gyakku Houtei 1
Phoenix wright in school or PG rated Danganronpa.
I love how they make it into guess the witness and perprator at the end, allowing the reader to guess the witness and the 'murder' case

Anyway, my take on this
Witness:
Suzuki
Method of murder:
Victim is not murdered. Someone make a fake Suzuki to make it look killed. Perpretator might be Tento.

Zweizer

Banned
A little bit, all of his arguably major works have been about baseball.
That's true though I liked how she always knew exactly what she wants and didn't shy away from taking the first step a few time to get Tatsuya out of his shell.

Well, I'll read Cross Game sometime anyways, as Touch's baseball action was pretty thrilling despite me having no interest for the sport.

She's not a bad character by any means. It's just that she felt rather flat compared to Tatsuya (and she's always compared to Tatsuya, though obviously not to as much of an extent as Kazuya), who was a great multidimensional protagonist.

Also another descriptor was "soft"

I wonder if people actually enjoy those descriptions.

how do you feel about molluscs

Yea i don't think i can top this exchange so its my answer also

Finally read that week 4 manga about a NEET and i enjoyed it.

Was fun seeing her embracing it at first then slowly changing to an actual member of society and making new friends along the way :p

plus i thought her answer in that interview was very interesting/honest/pure and i could see why she got chosen

now for week 5 stuff when the week is almost done :/

There are some pretty good Visual Novels out there. The added music and graphics can strengthen the atmosphere and mood of the stories they depict, although I understand why one could find the notion of "books with load times" off-putting.

I don't know, I don't like extra stuff when I'm reading because it's not in sync with me, you know? If the text scroll isn't faster than I can read, that's a problem. Music changing or animations flipping get distracting. I read really fast and go back in forth a little bit when I go through a book, and the whole visual novel thing makes me feel like I'm being dragged through someone else's brain. Even the 999 series was incredibly frustrating to get through for me.

But I'm pretty ignorant of the genre, so if there's a VN out there with better writing than Haruki Murakami let me know.

Pokemon Adventures Vol.25

yP0YECwl.jpg

And here's the conclusion of the Fire Red & Leaf Green Arc which was pretty damn great. It gave good character growth to the original gang and Silver, had some great fights between Mewtwo and Dexoys and Team Rocket was a good villain group again. The ending was quite a twist too and I like how there were some interesting foreshadowing to future Pokemon events going on in this arc too.

Even if Emerald is ugly as sin, bring on the Emerald arc!

Big One

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul: re 1-8

I wasn't feeling it at first cause I got so attached to the old cast, but I'm now seeing where this is going to lead to and it has gotten me more invested. Welcome back Kaneki.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm also kinda behind for this, I remember Zweizer saying he has to dedicate quite some of his free time too. I was thinking maybe we can postpone the next list for a week, almost everyone is playing catch up here.

Were it not for the Shorts reading club
and Pokemon
I'd probably have finished reading the first week of wonzo's club by now.

( ´・ω・`)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141694300]I don't know, I don't like extra stuff when I'm reading because it's not in sync with me, you know? If the text scroll isn't faster than I can read, that's a problem. Music changing or animations flipping get distracting. I read really fast and go back in forth a little bit when I go through a book, and the whole visual novel thing makes me feel like I'm being dragged through someone else's brain. Even the 999 series was incredibly frustrating to get through for me.

But I'm pretty ignorant of the genre, so if there's a VN out there with better writing than Haruki Murakami let me know.[/QUOTE]

That's really hard to find, Murakami is one of a kind writer that's better than most writer.

Playing catch up with short read

Helter Skelter

Beauty addiction is a serious business. It really echo the critic toward fashion and entertainment industry as a whole. The destructive force that make people earn for beauty make me shiver.
Great book, and i feel sorry for the author.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Only learned of tanjiu and the author's yuri manga today.
tumblr_ng2wfyWFeH1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

Glorious tomboys
I like this design a whole fucking lot.

Anyway, my take on this
Witness:
Suzuki
Method of murder:
Victim is not murdered. Someone make a fake Suzuki to make it look killed. Perpretator might be Tento.
tumblr_inline_n8ofi1erYj1qadinu.jpg

This guy? Wouldn't put it past him.
Gekkan Shoujo is messing with my brain.

Is Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria suppose to be good?

I thought it was a fairly good read. I felt the second volume drops in quality a bit compared to the first, but everything afterwards was enjoyable. Especially in regards to the main character and his development in later volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom