• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Touch v20

Too far Yuuka. Poor Nishimura :'(
Sad to see it come down to that, but I do remember something about young kids and curveballs.

Revo

Touch v21

Doubt he will do anything, he's too much of a softy.
I hope tatsuya is the one on the mound, but I bet he'll have to shake off kazuya before he can fully be on it.

Seeing Nishi get with her was boo, cause he was so mean to her throughout the entire series (even if he actually did like her). But w/e, was obvious.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
bleach: Kubo so meta. Ichibei is so fucking OP. A good chapter but, I'm not surprised gaf hates it. At this point you guys purposely hate it even when stuff happens.

Nothing happens in Bleach other than Kubo explaining powers. Bleach has become the ultimate tell not show. Something happens and nobody knows what it was until someone gives a chapter's worth of dialogue explaining it after or as it happens. Given the medium, it would be acceptable if we knew what stuff was doing before it happened based on our knowledge of what powers the characters have, but that never happens because Kubo just throws new characters in every other chapter.

Chapter isn't better than the previous incoherent messes.

Revo

Touch v22

Yep, he's not in the game yet. Get it together, tatsuya. Kazuya wouldn't want to see you like this.
Coach is such a tsundere.

Meguro

Banned
Nickelodeon 1

I like the art here a lot, I´m guessing these chapters are like small stories and not an overarching plot?

Tokyo Ghoul 1

In which our protagonist has a pretty shitty date. I kinda don´t remember a lot about the beginning even if I watched the anime so this was still pretty new to me. Anyway, art is kinda rough in some parts and I thought the reveal was a bit "cliche" but overall not that bad.

Toriko 304

yup like what people speculated.... Bambina literary playing games

"We need time" THANK GOD

Bleach

Ink, Lots of Black, No words/names

a Kubo chapter in a nutshell... this guy is interesting sadly he is still going to die

Revo

Touch v23-26 (obv spoilers)

Time passed really quickly. Glad to see that they won.
Another similar Cross Game ending pitch, but I guess that's how it'll always be for pitchers.
I thought that the idol stuff was whatever but since they weren't going to show Koshien then it's fine. Had to fill the air and give Tatsuya some thinking time.

Coach redeemed himself to me and I'm glad to see that they all cared about each other in their own ways.

----------

Overall thoughts about reading Touch, the series itself, and how I feel about it compared to Cross Game

In the beginning I was actually pretty excited to start reading Touch. Coming off the Suzuka reading club I had planned to read all the volumes early so there could be discussion. Sadly that didn't pan out. I stopped in week 2, never felt like reading it, and then sped through the rest of the volumes these past 2 days. Adachi manga really do go fast, or at least feel really fast. I don't think my experience of reading it worsened compared to if I had stuck to the 5vol/week. I wish I did, but it didn't end up happening.

Onto Touch. Overall it was quite the solid read. It had a good amount of funny moments, good baseball, good enough characters. Very enjoyable, I don't think I found myself disliking reading it at any point during the 257 chapters. Romance was whatever, but considering how it was set up I never expected it to go far. Romantic rivals never did anything worthwhile to possibly arouse any suspicion of it going a different way. Even though I've only read Cross Game and Mix from Adachi the only real way I have to describe this is: Yep, this is an Adachi manga. I bet most/all of his series will have the same feeling as each other, probably all similar formulas etc. Not saying this is a bad thing, I'll probably enjoy any other Adachi work I get around to reading, but you'll get what you know you're going to get.

I can definitely say that I enjoyed Cross Game a whole lot more. I found it funnier and the characters much more enjoyable. Not to say that the characters in Touch were bad, but they really can't compare to the ones in Cross Game. Cross Game characters feel like they had much more of a presence than Touch's, but it's hard for Touch to beat something I'm really fond of (just like taysuya to kazuya heh). In terms of baseball, Touch would obviously win. Cross Game was never about the baseball so I wasn't expecting for it to be better than Touch in this regard. Another thing, and this is a purely personal thing, is that Touch never hooked me in. Yes it was an enjoyable experience, but it never really gripped me. It never made me feel that I had to keep reading this, that I'd throw off my sleep schedule to finish it tonight (this is a thing that happens to me when I find something I really like late at night). If I had to pick one reason why Cross Game will always be better for me, it would be that it really hooked me.

Overall, a very good read. Lacked for me what would make it something I would fervently support, but still very enjoyable.

Kyuur

Man why are all the PVs so good, this one is really well made. Also that music is great. I wish I knew where it came from.

Anyways it seems Vol 1 of Re is releasing on Dec 19. I hope it sells really well.

Also forgot to mention Smug Loli looks amazing :0 I hope she's shown in the next chapter because this is literally the first good picture that's shown of her.

Wow, that was great. Are there videos like that for the first series?

The 'new' girl does look awesome. Can't wait for her introduction.

Revo

Toriko 304

Figured it wasn't real, but lol at the playmates. Looks like it's time for some quick powerboosting.

mhs004

Bleach fights are always really boring to me. You can almost always tell who will win before the fight even begins. It makes them boring and if they span multiple chapters then more boring each chapter.

Nickelodeon 1

I like the art here a lot, I´m guessing these chapters are like small stories and not an overarching plot?

Tokyo Ghoul 1

In which our protagonist has a pretty shitty date. I kinda don´t remember a lot about the beginning even if I watched the anime so this was still pretty new to me. Anyway, art is kinda rough in some parts and I thought the reveal was a bit "cliche" but overall not that bad.

Yeah the art is a bit rough in the beginning, but damn does it get better as it goes on. I can't wait for more of your impressions.

Kyuur

Bleach

The best possible ending to this fight would be a Yuwach turn and the final boss being the king or something. Wouldn't redeem this arc, but could make for a better finish.

Meguro

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul 2

I like waitress girl already. Also interesting idea that Ghouls can´t eat normal food since it´s disgusting to them. That´s something not usually explained with Ghouls or Zombies. I bet Kaneki is gonna refuse to eat human flesh, he seems like he´s not the type to adapt quickly.

Nickelodeon 2

I was not expecting any of this. I can already see why people like Nickelodeon. It´s deceptively simple and manages to make me care about something in only 8 pages.
Can´t wait to read more of this.

jrmEWXh.jpg

And that glorious smile remains.

Akira really wants to lose badly it seems.

Alice's mom already in the Milf category.

Hope there comes a time when she and Alice tag team to mess with Erina.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nickelodeon 1

Tokyo Ghoul 1

Will give Dowman and Nickelodeon a shot!

Vito

Banned
Probably late as hell seeing this since it was posted back in October, but it's damn cute & cool

SauceNAO for the other 2 pics reposted on pixiv from twitter by the illustration's author.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Either this was an okay chapter.

Or those previous chapters have skewed my opinion into thinking this wasn't as awful as the others.

Not quite sure at the moment.

The reason you feel that is because you know the paint brush guy is somehow going to lose even though he clearly has the upper hand.

Probably late as hell seeing this since it was posted back in October, but it's damn cute & cool

SauceNAO for the other 2 pics reposted on pixiv from twitter by the illustration's author.

Heh, this artist has some skill with curves. With more work, it can become really good. Not Soma tier but certainly breed its own fanbase.

Usobuko

Banned
Thanks for list. Was thinking of asking for new things to read but then you just gave me a boatload.

That was more of a list of manga that are kinda hard to read on but you just can't turn away from it. Normally, I would just recommend the usual stuff like YKK, Lone Wolf and Nausicaa etc.

I heard the 17-sai ending was disappointing because it defers from the real life case of Junko Furuta. It is because I knew what happened, reading this manga at the start when it was to trying to portray the account was rather unsettling. For Those of Us Who Don't Believe in God and Platform are my favorite in Endo Tanpenshuu. Gonensei is different from Yonensei. Whatever you had just read in the prequel, that Genshiken author is actively trying to destroy it. Moteki is similar to Boys on the Run which was in the reply I quoted, a bit mild on the drama side though. This was what I like in Tsumi to Batsu: A Falsified Romance, I have to warn you that it's not completely available in Eng and I am only in the mid 30s chapter. However, from what I have read, it's good. Lastly, don't be put off by The World Is Mine art. The transformation of the characters and the inevitable clash of Toshi/Mon vs Higumadon is going to be a wild ride. It's entirely unabashed and unrestrained. If I were to rank them, it's probably like this.

Punpun > Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu / The World Is Mine / Bokurano > Himizu / Moteki / Boys on the Run / Tsumi to Batsu > The rest

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm just disappointed the author in Soma didn't make either Kuro or Hayama smarter than just saying "you suck." There's no way Alice would have just said "what a fucking loser."

I think I'm gonna try and make a harem comic once I graduate. Only instead of the usual plot, the MC has some sort of ability to bend people to his will, whether it's drugs or ESP or whatever. So it seems like your typical comedy where all these girls randomly fall in love with this normal guy leading to hijinks, but he's actually a serial rapist and sexual deviant taking away these poor girls' sense of agency. So it flops back and forth between harem comedy and detective drama.

Think Love Hina meets Death Note. It could be a good vehicle for satire.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141662794]I think I'm gonna try and make a harem comic once I graduate. Only instead of the usual plot, the MC has some sort of ability to bend people to his will, whether it's drugs or ESP or whatever. So it seems like your typical comedy where all these girls randomly fall in love with this normal guy leading to hijinks, but he's actually a serial rapist and sexual deviant taking away these poor girls' sense of agency. So it flops back and forth between harem comedy and detective drama.

Think Love Hina meets Death Note. It could be a good vehicle for satire.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll have better luck getting that Whip of Erebos deck to win a GP. I'm pretty sure rape-as-comedy isn't a big thing here or back East.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141662794]I think I'm gonna try and make a harem comic once I graduate. Only instead of the usual plot, the MC has some sort of ability to bend people to his will, whether it's drugs or ESP or whatever. So it seems like your typical comedy where all these girls randomly fall in love with this normal guy leading to hijinks, but he's actually a serial rapist and sexual deviant taking away these poor girls' sense of agency. So it flops back and forth between harem comedy and detective drama.

Think Love Hina meets Death Note. It could be a good vehicle for satire.[/QUOTE]

Seems you need to read/view some VNs because most of that idea (90%) has already been taken lol

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141664759]But everybody loves Onani Master Kurosawa!

VN?[/QUOTE]

Visual novels. You know, the place you go if you want a very detailed description of what Saber's vagina feels like.

Yeah.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141665521]Jesus. Almost as bad as that youtube video some dude made of himself getting eaten by Krystal from Star Fox Adventures. With actual video of the inside of a fox's stomach.[/QUOTE]

That may be a quirk of the Nasuverse, I don't know. That's the only VN I ever read and it is as weird as it sounds.

Pots of meat, carnivorous plants and mollusks everywhere.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141666493]The only Visual Novels I've interacted with are the 999 series on handhelds.[/QUOTE]

Phoenix Wright is a Visual Novel, too, I think.

Zweizer

Banned
I was under the assumption that all/most of you were married and had kids.... That was a serious comment

How rude. How old do you imagine us to be?

Nickelodeon 2

I was not expecting any of this. I can already see why people like Nickelodeon. It´s deceptively simple and manages to make me care about something in only 8 pages.
Can´t wait to read more of this.
Will give Dowman and Nickelodeon a shot!

After reading Nickelodeon and The Voynich Hotel, if you can handle smut, try Sexual instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War and The End of Sexual Instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War. Oddman 11 and Ayame and Amane are more wacky in nature (and also lewd), but are recommended works as well.

Frog Girl the best~

Was it goddamn necessary to give her those makeshift heels though.

Tenck

Figured this be the place to ask, but I'm looking to buy the Ranma manga. Anyone know if Viz censored anything in the 2-in-1 editions?

Stulaw

KissxSis 85

I'm wondering if this will have a Harem end now, would certainly be better than him splitting with Yuzuki and ending up with someone else.

Anyway, getting drunk off of someone else's saliva? How low in tolerance can you get?

That may be a quirk of the Nasuverse, I don't know. That's the only VN I ever read and it is as weird as it sounds.

Pots of meat, carnivorous plants and mollusks everywhere.

those descriptions might actually be a Nasu quirk since others (to my understanding) just alludes to it "feeling good".

though to be fair a huge chunk of them are still in Japanese so i can't read/understand jackshit (unless you want machine translated garbage)

Zweizer

Banned
Getenrou by Ishiguro Masakazu

A work that manages to transition flawlessly from a comedic and offbeat tone to a depressingly dour one while betraying the readers' expectations at every turn all to the tune of themes such as ethics in genetics and robots. And mysteries.

Amazing.

Wow, that was great. Are there videos like that for the first series?

The 'new' girl does look awesome. Can't wait for her introduction.

Here's the other one that was used to promote the ending of Tokyo Ghoul and the beginning of Re. They even used the Opening of the anime for the PV which is great in that the lyrics actually describes Kaneki's journey. Yeah there are also other great MAD PVs of Tokyo Ghoul.

Also smug is always the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom