• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Anime of the Year voting rules getting heated

Do we do manga of the year? Or is that redundant because few things of note start and end the same year

There was one last year I believe or the one before. It was basically any manga that had a chapter released in that same year was eligible.

I should start posting in the anime thread, is it friendly there? I like it here on the manga thread...

usually, there was a bunch of drama over people posting lewd images/gifs a few months ago and I think some people stopped posting there, idk

I feel like the thread used to move a lot faster.

I should start posting in the anime thread, is it friendly there? I like it here on the manga thread...

There's some poster overlap. I don't think it's really much different, but the manga thread is more chill, for the most part.
Relationships between the two shall surely improve when the Shokugeki no Soma and Prison School anime start

usually, there was a bunch of drama over people posting lewd images/gifs a few months ago and I think some people stopped posting there, idk

I haven't been there as long as some others, but a season or two ago it was moving faster.

eRobot really made me cringe when I read it's 3 translated chapters. I don't see any of the three new ones or the three older ones (Sporting, Judos and Cluster) surviving past 25 chapters.

Lain

I hope I'll get to vote Psycho Pass 2 as AOTY.

Orange volume 1
zVjb.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole past/future storytelling, though I guess it's interesting seeing how things... were and are changing, and how things ended up in that... other timeline?
The setting is nice (although I'm not even gonna start to think about how that letter was sent back in time) and although the main girl is a bit maddening to watch with her stupid decisions this first volume was pretty good, especially thanks to having the focus shared a bit with the rest of the characters. It's gonna be interesting to see if she'll manage to save his life in 10 years' time.

2 out of 16 is pretty terrible.

To be fair, Sporting Salt and Hi Fi Cluster aren't dead yet. :p

Yeah, it used to move a lot faster. Dunno, I stopped posting there some time back. I didn't care for what mostly everyone else was watching and I was basically dumping impressions so might as well just quit wasting my time with watch impressions ~_~

Zweizer

Banned
There's some poster overlap. I don't think it's really much different, but the manga thread is more chill, for the most part.
Relationships between the two shall surely improve when the Shokugeki no Soma and Prison School anime start

Considering that apparently AnimeGAF look down on smut just for the sake of looking down on smut, I'm not really optimistic about it, but hey, correct me if I'm wrong.

To be fair, Sporting Salt and Hi Fi Cluster aren't dead yet. :p

Honestly it's kind of amazing how long Sporting Salt managed to last.

what's this?

New WSJ series that started (and, for most of them, ended) this year.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
According to the Wiki, these are the 2014 series:

Iron Knight
Illegal Rare
iShojo
Stealth Symphony
Tokyo Wonder Boys
Hinomaru Sumo
My Hero Academia
Mitsukubi Condor
Yoakemono
Judos
Hi-Fi Cluster
Sporting Salt
Takujo no Ageha
E-Robot

Only Sumo and MHA are doing well (with the latter actually being a big hit). Everything else from Iron Knight to Yoakemono was swiftly cancelled. Except for iShojo which moved to another magazine (and nothing of value was lost)
Judos, Hi-Fi Cluster and Sporting Salt are all dead manga walking
Takujo no Ageha might do okay for a bit. We'll see.
E-Robot is garbage and hopefully Japanese kids can see that too

The first 2015 series is Gakku Hotei, and that will probably last a while. It's Ace Attorney Kids drawn by Takeshi Obata.

So there will be Shonen Jump chapters this week/on Monday but not next week/after Monday

and no Chapters this week for the other Magazine publications (in example FairyTail)

correct or not?

Vito

Banned
So here I was, minding my own business, opening Shiwasu no Okina's nude Asuka pic on Pixiv and made the unfortunate blunder to scroll down to comments:

Could you draw Naruto & Hinata in their sex position for the upcoming The Last Naruto the Movie, please.

Random person asking an artist, a pro h-manga artists no less.... to draw Naruto fanart. In case any of the Naruto readers ever wondered why you get dirty looks. Now I can't go appreciate that wonderful Asuka without that horrid comment staring me in the face... in plain English.

so is shounen jump just a huge risk/reward thing for potential authors? it seems to have a really low success rate.

2014 has been the 2nd worst year (tied for 2nd with 2003 until we see how long Hero survives) for new titles since the new millennium. With it most likely beating out 2010, who's only manga that survived over a year was Enigma (56 chapters). But 2010 only had 8 new mangas while 2014 had 16.

Zweizer

Banned
So here I was, minding my own business, opening Shiwasu no Okina's nude Asuka pic on Pixiv and made the unfortunate blunder to scroll down to comments:

Random person asking an artist, a pro h-manga artists no less.... to draw Naruto fanart. In case any of the Naruto readers ever wondered why you get dirty looks. Now I can't go appreciate that wonderful Asuka without that horrid comment staring me in the face...

Hahahaha holy shit. It can't be for real, can it?

What are the odds that the one who posted that comment originated from the Naruto OT?

dani_dc

Cross Game 9-10

Well this was obvious coming off Touch, way too many hints at it the couple chapters before. Still sad. I quite enjoyed the romantic teasing of the kids up to this point, I quite expect that aspect to disappear for the rest of the series (much like it happened with Touch as well) and for that to be replaced with some less cute romantic story line with the other sister.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Personally, a rigorous voting and judging process sometimes breed unwarranted elitism. Eventually, the taste of the members converge towards a specific point and people who felt left out will leave / not participate in the end.

I don't know how it is in the anime thread but it's very samey preferences on a club I used to partake.

AnimeGAF is fine if you have thick skin; there's a lot of jaded dudes who hate everything.

Big One

Banned
I think the issue with Jump nowadays is how prominent manga piracy is. WSJ leaks about a week before it's officially leaked, meaning there's less of a demand to buy the volumes. However certain hits will obviously rise to the top like Toriko did briefly and now My Hero Academia. If My Hero Academia can carrying it's current momentum like Toriko wasn't able to, then it could very well be the next big series though it also needs some Western exposure as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the issue with Jump nowadays is how prominent manga piracy is. WSJ leaks about a week before it's officially leaked, meaning there's less of a demand to buy the volumes. However certain hits will obviously rise to the top like Toriko did briefly and now My Hero Academia. If My Hero Academia can carrying it's current momentum like Toriko wasn't able to, then it could very well be the next big series though it also needs some Western exposure as well.

WSJ wishes Toriko was the next big thing

Big One

Banned
WSJ wishes Toriko was the next big thing
Toriko's sales were pretty good at first. Afterall, a manga series doesn't sell 20 million copies of volumes and isn't considered a success. Regardless it did fail to carry it's momentum with it's mediocre anime TV series and also repetitive and stagnant storylines.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Toriko's sales were pretty good at first. Afterall, a manga series doesn't sell 20 million copies of volumes and isn't considered a success. Regardless it did fail to carry it's momentum with it's mediocre anime TV series and also repetitive and stagnant storylines.

Really? Compared to the rest of the boys like One Piece and Bleach, Toriko's story for me moves like a blietzkrig... it seems so restless in moving on.

Repetitive and stagnant, is in fact, is currently what I use to describe One Piece. But that's just me.

Is Moteki still being translated?
I remember it seeming dead and just watching the live-action series.

I am not familiar with the scene... maybe it's dead. If it is, then it's unfortunate :/ I really enjoyed what I read.

Uso is shedding a tear somewhere.

;(

kasane

Yep. It is not just... modern enough.

No moe elements at all, hahaha. Even One Piece is rife with fanservice, as is Bleach.
Nah at least one piece and bleachs art is clean?

Toriko is just like a bunch of shit mashed together
Only HxH breaks that mold, but being on Hiatus all the time and having starving fans helps it out.

Hxh art was top tier when translated into anime. I dont think you could say the same with toriko

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hxh art was top tier when translated into anime. I dont think you could say the same with toriko

Madhouse vs. Toei man.
I imagine if Madhouse did Toriko, then the art would at least look decent.
Hell, if Madhouse did most Jump manga, they would look amazing.

Akito

Let's not pretend that Madhouse is amazing at everything they do or anyone would be able to 'save' Toriko for that matter.

Nah at least one piece and bleachs art is clean?

Toriko is just like a bunch of shit mashed together

Well that's a given since Toei was the one that animated Toriko. I mean look at World Trigger the animation/art is crap and it also doesn't help that it's getting 50 episodes.

kasane

Yeah im just not down on toriko

If you followed our escapades threads ago you know i shitposted almost every toriko post lmao

Big One

Banned
Really? Compared to the rest of the boys like One Piece and Bleach, Toriko's story for me moves like a blietzkrig... it seems so restless in moving on.

Repetitive and stagnant, is in fact, is currently what I use to describe One Piece. But that's just me.
Toriko doesn't have stuff like Law's or Robin's flashbacks in it's ranks when it comes to it's story. All Toriko is from arc to arc is just random adventures. It's cool and enjoyable, but any of the plot relating to things like "GOD" for example is still largely untouched upon or really given any sense of endgame. Everyting in One Piece is leading up to the end on an arc by arc basis. You still get the sense of adventure, but also a great story (well, not all the time) that builds up the world itself and will ultimately lead to the endgame goal.

One Piece has pacing issues, but stagnant or repetitive is not.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
One Piece is perfect in every single way. It is fact as it is written down in the stone tablet I have sealed within my closet for when the end times are near, I shall shower everyone with the good news that is One Piece. One Piece is love, One Piece is life.
It does have some minor issues but being a manga for more than 20 years and still hitting striders in sales has to mean something, especially when it destroys the competition in numbers. Even its previous volume is still higher up compared to other volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom