• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Oh? I wasn't aware of that. I should give some of the translated works a read then. Any recommendation?

Tezuka
Phoenix, Buddha, Apollo's Song. Message to Adolf and The Book of Human Insects are also good.

Matsumoto
Takemitsu Zamurai, Ping Pong, Sunny, Tekkon Kinkreet, Hanaotoko, Gogo Monster, Zero, Number Five, Blue Spring. More or less everything he has available in English, probably can read it in that order.

Tatsumi
A Drifting Life, The Push Man and Other Stories, Abandon the Old in Tokyo, Good-Bye.

Zweizer

Banned
Tezuka
Phoenix, Buddha, Apollo's Song. Message to Adolf and The Book of Human Insects are also good.

Matsumoto
Takemitsu Zamurai, Ping Pong, Sunny, Tekkon Kinkreet, Hanaotoko, Gogo Monster, Zero, Number Five, Blue Spring. More or less everything he has available in English, probably can read it in that order.

Tatsumi
A Drifting Life, The Push Man and Other Stories, Abandon the Old in Tokyo, Good-Bye.

Thanks! Adding them to my (ever-growing) backlog.

Zweizer

Banned
GoGo Monster by Taiyou Matsumoto

uZwWgxf.jpg

A young outcast boy thinks there are monsters living on the fourth floor of his school. We see him living his school life. That's pretty much it. It's interesting however that we don't actually see anything supernatural most of the time, and the times we do it's rather ambiguous about whether these are delusions of an imaginative child or real events. The rather abstract plot and generally unlikable characters doesn't make it a very compelling read either.

However, I found the use of angles, perspectives and panelling incredible, and they add a lot to the surreal atmosphere of the manga, adding a new dimension to the rather rough art. The somewhat slow, at times messy, pacing fits the "growing up" theme that's central to the story, and ultimately it's a pretty fascinating read that feels like an experimentation of the medium.

Arachnid 41
This chapter put hairs on the hairs on my chest. Cricket's ineffectiveness was unsurprising, but at least he got to look manly as fuck while getting turned into a poisoned pincushion. Can't imagine his rival will want to fight him in this state, but then I don't see him being much use against the overpowered ant either.

Stinky

Tezuka

Matsumoto

Tatsumi

A Drifting Life was sooo boring. The history was cool but it just went on an on. Most reedeming part was that it taught me that (supposedly) Tezuka always drew the hands and feet of the characters first then connected everything (super interesting).

Dont want to be too negative so I'll second Buddha and Pheonix which are both masterpieces

dani_dc

I think it will probably end in 4-6 years, nothing before that. Can't see it being dragged too long, author seems to have a decent idea where he wants to go with it.

ssssssssounds like a new betting pool is going to arrive

For every month you fail you have to use a MangaGAF Hero Seo Kouji avatar that's been previously approved by Costi.

Zweizer

Banned
ssssssssounds like a new betting pool is going to arrive

Longest betting pool ever?

A Drifting Life was sooo boring. The history was cool but it just went on an on. Most reedeming part was that it taught me that (supposedly) Tezuka always drew the hands and feet of the characters first then connected everything (super interesting).

It's apparently an autobiographical work though. I'll keep my expectations in check however.

Stinky

Longest betting pool ever?

It's apparently an autobiographical work though. I'll keep my expectations in check however.

Yeah it is, thats the problem. The author goes really really in depth into literally every aspect of his (and his brother's) career in manga.

If that sounds interesting enough though, definitely check it out.

survivor

Banned

Dont want to be too negative so I'll second Buddha and Pheonix which are both masterpieces

Stinky pls, A Drifting Life is like the only 10/10 manga of the past whatever years.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah it is, thats the problem. The author goes really really in depth into literally every aspect of his (and his brother's) career in manga.

If that sounds interesting enough though, definitely check it out.
Stinky pls, A Drifting Life is like the only 10/10 manga of the past whatever years.

Haha I do rather like life stories actually. I don't expect it to be extremely exciting but I'm interested to see how the author presents an espect of his life.

Lain

Giant Killing volume 23
Qffb.jpg

Ahahaha seeing Kota's reaction when Kyouya
starts shouting how Tsubaki is good-looking was priceless. Going from "Yes! the girl I like is having fun watching a football match!" to "wait, did she just say that Tsubaki... is good-looking?! Am I going to lose her to Tsubaki?!".
Tsubaki did some awesome plays
and that goal, damn that goal (the Prince's one though was just as cool), though the moment I broke out and laughed a lot is when Sakai sent #rekt Hoshino about luck.
The volume ended just as things were getting good in the 2nd half, but luckily I received the box of manga today, so I should be able to keep reading later.

Shigurui END

Finished this today since it was a rather quick read. 84 chapters, I think. Some parts were great, others less.

As I said in my first impressions post, this is pretty damn violent and it's used to great effect in the fights. The techniques shown in Shigurui, while exciting, aren't exactly realistic or practical but I think it's still one of the better attempts to capture the atmosphere of violent sword combat. Bones break, guts get spilled, body parts fly etc. it's not pretty and yet Shigurui manages to combine elegance and brutality in a very compelling way thanks to the art and framing. This coupled with the rivalry between Gennosouke and Seigen and the dynamics between the various characters, schools and classes were my favourite parts of the manga.

On the other hand there are several parts that are handled less competently or even in rather bad taste. The author tries to tackle themes like misogyny, homophobia, sexism, ableism and violence against the respective groups, maybe with good intentions, but more often than not fails to expand beyond "this thing is bad". The subplot with the hermaphrodite heir to a sword school was probably the worst. If you can't offer some valuable social commentary, it's better to leave things like this out.

It also had a bit of an abrupt ending and left a few plotstrings unresolved but that didn't bother me too much.

Overall I still enjoyed it for the fights but the aforementioned things did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I hope that Apocalypse Zero is better in this regard.

kasane

Giant Killing volume 23
Qffb.jpg

Ahahaha seeing Kota's reaction when Kyouya
starts shouting how Tsubaki is good-looking was priceless. Going from "Yes! the girl I like is having fun watching a football match!" to "wait, did she just say that Tsubaki... is good-looking?! Am I going to lose her to Tsubaki?!".
Tsubaki did some awesome plays
and that goal, damn that goal (the Prince's one though was just as cool), though the moment I broke out and laughed a lot is when Sakai sent #rekt Hoshino about luck.
The volume ended just as things were getting good in the 2nd half, but luckily I received the box of manga today, so I should be able to keep reading later.

FUCK YOU LAIN FOR READING AHEAD

MY SUFFERING

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Koe no Katachi

Seemed really short and it was weird.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada and the Seven Witches

There's too many characters. I don't know why they ever took the powers away from the original 7.

UQ Holder

Kirie is totally tsundere for Touta.

Zweizer

Banned
Suzuka ch68

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch69

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch70

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch71

AHAHAHAHA fuck. Fuck you. Hahahaha.

Suzuka ch72

Hahaha fuck you.

Suzuka ch73

The fuck?? WHAT??? FUCK YOU.

Suzuka ch74

HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU.

Suzuka ch68

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch69

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch70

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch71

Suzuka ch72

Hahaha fuck you.

Suzuka ch73

Suzuka ch74

HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU.

That sure is a lot of Fuck you's ahahaha. Though I guess I'll end up saying the same thing but a lot more worse.

dani_dc

Suzuka ch68

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch69

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch70

Fuck you.

Suzuka ch71

Suzuka ch72

Hahaha fuck you.

Suzuka ch73

Suzuka ch74

HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU.

Oh man you got me curious, but I wanted to play some SSB/Theatrhythm before sleep.
What to do....

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Suzuka 30-90

Well this is one hell of a ride. Is it wrong for me to like this more than KNIM? i mean... Akitsuki is a fucking dumbass but at least he's a one sided dumbass that knew what he wanted with a distraction here and there. I mean... that relationship lasted not that long but at least he's with who he initially wanted to. Also when Suzuka doesn't act like a jerkwad half the time, she's not terrible either. Maybe I'm so desensitized to Seo bullshit I'm just like, FUCK IT WHATEVER. Meh. This couple is too happy now. Something is going to go wrong, isn't it. Als, fuck the dead guy drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom