• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
As said it was mostly Big 3 talk for most of the week and everything else would happen during the weekends (other series, smut, etc). Then the Big 3 discussion started to degrade severely into cheap shots, troll posts, ad hominem, garbage and some started to post less until the weekend.

One would think there'd be measures against such practices. Maybe MangaGAF used to be a place with looser regulations back then...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One would think there'd be measures against such practices. Maybe MangaGAF used to be a place with looser regulations back then...

The manga thread was originally the Shonen Jump thread.

upandaway

Bans did happen when things got a bit crazy, but while it did calm things down, after a while they kept happening again.

The reason it's such a memorable part of the thread is because of how many times it repeated itself

Nah even the Naruto thread derails into pairing wars a majority of the time (I shamassley defend Hinata there and bash Sakura)

The funny thing is a lot of story focused question like whatever happened to Pains Rain village seeing as there is no law and order now are usually brushed off for Sakura fan pics and Fanfiction

And OH BOY are there a lot of it D:

- More pairing discussions over actual chapter discussions.

- Fanart of said pairings and characters that usually don't look good to anyone but the poster.

- Links to actual fanfiction

Yep, that sounds like the usual Naruto thread you can find anywhere else.

Might as well burn it and try to start anew.

I'm still unsure if that thread was as bad since IIRC i start posting a bit in that thread a few posts before that 20,000 max post for a OT rule officially came into effect.

As the resident OG how was it really?

Bans did happen when things got a bit crazy, but while it did calm things down, after a while they kept happening again.

The reason it's such a memorable part of the thread is because of how many times it repeated itself

And it was usually the same culprits LOL

I honestly tried to enjoy it as someone watching a train going off the rails and they can't look away despite how horrible the scenario is (michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif and so on) but eventually i just couldn't and jumped ship to weekend mangaGAF

Zweizer

Banned

But there's more to Shonen Jump than the Big 3!

One has to wonder how they never learn or get bored from it.

It's obvious that we have to find something else to fight for, just to maintain the mods active and stuff.

We should fight over which smut is the lewdest.

But there's more to Shonen Jump than the Big 3!

True.

But to be fair the Big 3 was basically what Shonen Jump consisted over here in some eyes (maybe HxH would count but i wouldn't be surprised if it was on Hiatus at that point or something).

I dunno. What did flawfuls do back then?

dude usually had some good stuff to read and started the true mangaGAF book club with some of his suggestions.

he will always have my respect since i was introduced to a lot of books due to his suggestions and they were usually pretty good (imo)

My Hero Academia is quickly ascending into the new Big Three.

this is like the second or third time i've been hearing this (or at least the book seems to be holding up well enough)

hmmm, we'll see

Shouta

I do read the Mandarin version, which is pretty up to date. Waiting for the big 200.

You didn't perchance get to see/read much of the AKB49 musical posted prior?

Reading the impressions that URA48 had (Spoilers to Vol 5), the preview had a bit more camp than I thought (reminded me of the type of camp from the Sakura Taisen musicals) but Sae Miyazawa as Minori fit like a glove - she looked to do very well and it felt that she had that aura Yuko talked of (That's all I could understand).

I'll never get tired of this actually.

Will it be based on Hirdy? (lol)

Oh god, they turned it into a musical? They should've gotten Mitsumune Kaoru to do the role instead. She's way better than Sae is for the role.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So wow Naruto is finally ending eh?

Once it's done guess I'll read it again for old times sake.

I bailed on it right around when Sasuke formed his troop. I returned during the Pain battle and then left again when Naruto hyperventilated thinking about Sasuke.

dani_dc

Fuuka 34

It feels so wrong seeing the surname "Akitsuki" and relating it with cute. And yet Fuuka is just that, so adorable.

Yuu is also a nice guy, actually worrying about the girl he likes emotions.

Poor Sara though, that will surely cause issues fast. This being Seo I was expecting Sara to kiss Yuu right there and for Fuuka to see it.

Zweizer

Banned
Oh god, they turned it into a musical? They should've gotten Mitsumune Kaoru to do the role instead. She's way better than Sae is for the role.

I still find the idea of having actual AKB48 members being cast as Minoru somewhat weird. Would be better if they had an outsider doing it I think.

The differences between Negima and UQ Holder are so apparent. Negima is so Liefeld, expressive and dynamic. Through the first two volumes, not much is going on in UQ Holder and the characters aren't as interesting. His smile is gone....

Shouta

I still find the idea of having actual AKB48 members being cast as Minoru somewhat weird. Would be better if they had an outsider doing it I think.

It works considering there are so many members. using ex-AKB would probably be better though. I still stand by Mitsumune Kaoru as the best choice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 34

Seo's learned some lessons because this manga is actually good so far.

I wonder how long until the angst starts.

The difference in Fuuka vs. KNIM/Suzuka is that the characters are not abrasive people you want to see fail.

I'm still unsure if that thread was as bad since IIRC i start posting a bit in that thread a few posts before that 20,000 max post for a OT rule officially came into effect.

As the resident OG how was it really?

And it was usually the same culprits LOL

I honestly tried to enjoy it as someone watching a train going off the rails and they can't look away despite how horrible the scenario is (michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif and so on) but eventually i just couldn't and jumped ship to weekend mangaGAF
I'm pretty sure HxH was on hiatus when OT1 started.

Basically like the Naruto thread is right now but without random fanart. Lots of freshmaker/Ignis fighting and smut-shaming.

Zweizer

Banned
It works considering there are so many members. using ex-AKB would probably be better though. I still stand by Mitsumune Kaoru as the best choice.

She does seem to be a good fit but yeah, I agree that casting ex-AKB48 members would be the best choice, otherwise it might lead to some confusion.

Horimiya 41

Sorry Horimiya, but doing that with your gf and her father is kind of creepy, even if you are going to see a scary movie.

3LJXmgz.png

After that there is hilarious misunderstanding.

Angry Grimace

Fuuka 34

It feels so wrong seeing the surname "Akitsuki" and relating it with cute. And yet Fuuka is just that, so adorable.

Yuu is also a nice guy, actually worrying about the girl he likes emotions.

Poor Sara though, that will surely cause issues fast. This being Seo I was expecting Sara to kiss Yuu right there and for Fuuka to see it.

If this were not Seo, I would have simply assumed she sort of generically liked him but not to the extent of actually pursuing him or anything.

Also, the drummer guy is basically a MangaGAFfer.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
It's important that you know ♪(┌・。・)┌
Actually watching your game list it's pretty good but still..
Any fan of La-Mulana and Cave Story is ok in my book. But fuck Cave Story right now, hard mode is such shit. Shiiiit.

Eh, it depends on what narrative they're trying to make with that overpoweredness. Take one punch man for example, his OPness is used to explore how mundane it makes life feel, and the need of power in general. Then there's sakamoto, where his OPness is used to create ridiculous and hilarious scenarios.

I tend to agree that overpowered characters can be boring, and they really need to start finding some new angles for soma. In samidare though we have a girl with a terminal illness who wants to use the power she suddenly received so that she can destroy the world she loves. That is awesome.

I haven't read One Punch Man yet, but you're right on Sakamoto using his OPness well. The difference that makes these series enjoyable is that they deconstruct powerfulness or play it off for laughs. The OPness isn't just presented as something to accept without question.

I never really got Asahina's motivation for destruction, either. :/

Try it soon.

If you can get your hands on the novels, if not, the anime isn't a bad alternative.
Welp, sold. Also wait is it a light novel, and not a manga?

Attn:

The Naruto thread thinks you all are shit for not liking Naruto:

They're all pathetic.

Disclaimer: I only enjoy Naruto out of the three.

Lucifier and the Biscuit Hammer spoilers?

I never really got Asahina's motivation for destruction, either. :/

this is pure IIRC

i thought it was a selfish desire born from her fate of possibly dieing young to some illness (that at the time couldn't be cured) and she would leave the world behind without accomplishing much.

So before that time comes she would destroy the world first with her own hands. The reason she chose Yuuhi at first was because he didn't care for the world either so he seemed like a perfect accomplice. But after all the stuff that happened and the stuff they experienced they both changed and Yuuhi (who changed the most imo) could not longer go with the plan.

someone else with a more recent take can correct me if i'm wrong here.

Angry Grimace

I think the thing that pisses people in that thread off is when people can't just turn their brains off and enjoy something dumb and instead of write more paragraphs per chapter than Kishimoto writes in 3 months to complain about why the Japanese equivalent of Young Adult fiction isn't qualified for the Man Booker.

I think the thing that pisses people in that thread off is when people can't just turn their brains off and enjoy something dumb and instead of write more paragraphs per chapter than Kishimoto writes in 3 months to complain about why the Japanese equivalent of Young Adult fiction isn't qualified for the Man Booker.

I think its a prerequisite to turn off your brain at this point, considering how off rails it is. That's the only way I can even read the 2 of the big 3 I bother to pay attention to anymore unfortunately. I think a lot of people like myself are mostly reading it due to habit and just wanting to finish the series when it comes to the Bleach/Naruto.

upandaway

Well here I went thinking "oh boy I'll make the it's lewd joke I'm gonna be so smart and clever" and then everyone do it before me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom