• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Oftentimes people just can't take reading other people hating on something they like. So they avoid discussion altogether. When they find a place where they can talk, they discuss how negative others are, because that is the lasting impression.

The only times this thread seemed smug or elitist is when... I don't even remember who it was, but the one guy would reply to posts and lecture people with a big ass riot act about how his opinion was fact and it was just annoying to read or to scroll past. But I feel like that was a long time ago?
You mean like Beam and Big One. If nothing else, they should be lauded for having incredibly thick skins.

Zweizer

Banned
And I do catch a lot of the Naruto discussions are purely about the content without any shaming. So I don't know, it seems like they talk more about what happened here 4 years ago than the current situation.

Uuh. I wonder how was the climate here 4 years ago if they're holding this long of a grudge. I heard the discussion was apparently pretty much only about the Big 3 so there must have been a lot of fandom rivalry, but I can't imagine it being so toxic that it's all people think of MangaGAF even now.

If anything, we should be lauded as heralds of smut before all else.

Usobuko

Banned
That's classy, mature, sometimes even deep smut. Not trashy smut. In other words it's fake smut.

edit: he has much more hentai titles than I thought!
Yeah, obviously anti hero but you will root for him.

Shamefully the series falls off a cliff later.

RsAhT4T.png

The only times this thread seemed smug or elitist is when... I don't even remember who it was, but the one guy would reply to posts and lecture people with a big ass riot act about how his opinion was fact and it was just annoying to read or to scroll past. But I feel like that was a long time ago?

Other than that, the only real knock here is not keeping up with all of the series nicknames, but in my experience people are good about offering the actual name if someone asks, so even that isn't a big deal. Maybe that person just got clowned by someone and took it the wrong way or something, who knows.

Yeah, there were those two.

And then there's us who just have pretty good discussions when it comes to mangas.

Never did care about the stupid wednesday GAF battle royale. This thread shines when we talk about other mangas, and recommending what we've read. Sort of like an online book club.

bjork

Uuh. I wonder how was the climate here 4 years ago if they're holding this long of a grudge. I heard the discussion was apparently pretty much only about the Big 3 so there must have been a lot of fandom rivalry, but I can't imagine it being so toxic that it's all people think of MangaGAF even now.

I don't know if flawfuls is still around, but he was a big positive part of the threads back then. I wonder who the modern equivalents is?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Negativity in ManGAF? No way!

Nanatsu no Taiza 97
Hawk ;_;
Oh yeah, time for round 2. All party fully healed!

Jitsu wa watashi wa 44
Alien girl best girl, and demon girl know it!

SUZUKA TIME OF DESPAIR

Suzuka 61

Woah, side boobs.
I rather have Seo Kouji focus on the sport aspect. Dude can draw good posture and movement.

Suzuka 62

No FS
now, as a sport manga, this is quite decent. Yes, yes, i enjoy this

Suzuka 63

No Service~
Oh, come on Honoka. Seriously? Find another guy please!

Suzuka 64

I want to be the very best so i can confess to a girl with emotional problem
Good luck Yamato :3

Suzuka 65
Yeah, what the hell is wrong with Suzuka!?
DAMMIT!

Usobuko

Banned
Yeah, there were those two.

And then there's us who just have pretty good discussions when it comes to mangas.

Never did care about the stupid wednesday GAF battle royale. This thread shines when we talk about other mangas, and recommending what we've read. Sort of like an online book club.

OCfoykL.jpg

We could start one for Tetsuya Toyoda (artist above). He's like a miniature Endo Hiroki for me. Milder themes, awfully similar character designs and retains the poignant, melancholy atmosphere.

upandaway

I don't know if flawfuls is still around, but he was a big positive part of the threads back then. I wonder who the modern equivalents is?
In terms of types of manga survivor kinda inherited flawfuls' will. In terms of book clubs, Costi and Dresden. In terms of sheer readlist volume, dunno, there have been a ton of new people lately.

Zweizer

Banned

The difference with normal book clubs is that we recommend smut more~

I dunno. What did flawfuls do back then?

bjork

In terms of types of manga survivor kinda inherited flawfuls' will. In terms of book clubs, Costi and Dresden. In terms of sheer readlist volume, dunno, there have been a ton of new people lately.

But do they read interesting stuff, or waifu smut trash? Flawfuls seemed to pull out quite a few obscure one-shot kinda titles. I'm not really around enough to see if anyone's doing that now.

upandaway

But do they read interesting stuff, or waifu smut trash? Flawfuls seemed to pull out quite a few obscure one-shot kinda titles. I'm not really around enough to see if anyone's doing that now.
That's what I mean by survivor, he reads a lot of stuff that remind me of what flawfuls would post about. So weird.

Whippy pulls up his fair share of weird manga too.

Zweizer

Banned

In that case I think Usobuko recommend old obscure stuff rather often.

That's what I mean by survivor, he reads a lot of stuff that remind me of what flawfuls would post about. So weird.

Whippy pulls up his fair share of weird manga too.

survivor only chimes in rarely though, which is a shame. And yeah Whippy and wonzo also recommend some good unique mangas.

When the Suzuka book club is over manga gaf should do another group read.

Dowman Sayman reading club!

Nanatsu no Taizai 97

Yes, Hawk
remains dead!!

Kingdom 405

Ten & Shin find out about the betrayal from the harem faction.

Chu are back.

Ryofui goes as an ambassador.

Usobuko

Banned
Well, whenever survivor post about Matsumoto, Tezuka or Tatsumi's works, no one really respond to them. He's getting lonely in MangaGAF.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm really bad with emoji that needs me to copy and paste stuff. (;-_-)

Also I was just messing around with upandaway. :p

Usobuko

Banned
Tezuka: Ode to Kirihito
Matsumoto: Gogo Monster

As for Tatsumi, I read Abandon the Old in Tokyo & The Push Man and Other Stories only. I prefer the latter. Someday I will read A Drifting Life. I wouldn't say I read enough for Tezuka or Matsumoto to have a clear perference like I did for Inio Asano.

Not really manga related but the "When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace" anime reminded me that Trigger isn't just Imaishi and Yoshinari :(

Zweizer

Banned
Tezuka: Ode to Kirihito
Matsumoto: Gogo Monster

As for Tatsumi, I read Abandon the Old in Tokyo & The Push Man and Other Stories only. I prefer the latter. Someday I will read A Drifting Life. I wouldn't say I read enough for Tezuka or Matsumoto to have a clear perference like I did for Inio Asano.

Thanks!

(I should also read Punpun one of these days.)

Speaking of old manga, I should get back into looking for more Go Nagai material. I've already read Devilman and what's translated of Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, and Violence Jack. I need to read Dororon Enma-kun, as I watched Meeramera earlier this year and that got me interested.

Naruto problems:

Dunno, maybe they just don't like it when people aren't talking about Naruto 100% of the time. I remember before all these talks about the Big 3 will usually lasts for days (I don't know how, how much can you talk about 19 pages) and was basically a major part of this thread.

Now a days, it's basically regulated to one day at most. At worst, it's feels the same like any other series we read, where we toss impressions and move on.

I guess sucks for them since the roles have basically reversed since I first posting here hahahahaha

Nah even the Naruto thread derails into pairing wars a majority of the time (I shamassley defend Hinata there and bash Sakura)

The funny thing is a lot of story focused question like whatever happened to Pains Rain village seeing as there is no law and order now are usually brushed off for Sakura fan pics and Fanfiction

And OH BOY are there a lot of it D:

bigkrev

Naruto problems:

Dunno, maybe they just don't like it when people aren't talking about Naruto 100% of the time. I remember before all these talks about the Big 3 will usually lasts for days (I don't know how, how much can you talk about 19 pages) and was basically a major part of this thread.

Now a days, it's basically regulated to one day at most. At worst, it's feels the same like any other series we read, where we toss impressions and move on.

I guess sucks for them since the roles have basically reversed since I first posting here hahahahaha

It's better for me (even if I don't post much or read much anymore, I still keep up with the thread), and I can just safely skip Wednesdays.

It's not even that I hate the discussion, it's the fact that I am still mostly unspoiled, and might want to go back and read these series at some point. I'm still stuck in the end of Fishman Island in One Piece (and have for months now :(), I'm at the Timeskip in Naruto, and Bleach.... well, I'm never going to read Bleach, so I don't care about that. I don't mind that the thread is open spoilers, but considering much of the discussion is on a single day, it's easy for me to avoid.

GreenWorldz 44

Thought it end in death but then time traveling plot, I believe. The scar placement is what gave it away last chapter and putting things together. Though if he saves her what will happen.

scy

Attn:

The Naruto thread thinks you all are shit for not liking Naruto:

at least they made one right decision in their life #elitism #smug #rekt

The irony being that those people would be the regulars in one of the Big 3 threads anyway.

Naruto problems:

"WednesdayGAF" used to basically be the entire week too. It was just on the weekends when we came out to post, really. Our takeover has been successful.

Shadow 7

End pose was pretty cool.

Blackout 2

Everytime it uses that line of people dying alone and his friends telling him to get a girlfriend I shake my fist in anger. What kind of friends say that.

Otherwise, good VR world so far.

Big One

Banned
Naruto really went downhill for me when Sasuke's character arc started, which was pretty early in the series. But even then there was some good stuff like the Chunin Exams, the Search for Sasuke arc was pretty good, and the Pain arc was pretty good as well. Also the flashback with Naruto's dad was some of the best content in the entire series.

If I had to rank them it'd have to be something like this:

Chunin Exam > Sasuke Retrieval > Haku and Zabuza > Pain Invasion > Early Part II mini-arcs > Five Kage Summit > Sasuke (when the main character was Sasuke for the longest time) > Shinobi Zombie War.

King's Game Origin 15

Well her death was kind of predicted to happen as there was probably no way for her to live after what did and she seemed to just be so tormented over Daiki.

I dont know who will die next though, but I imagine the one behind this game will be revealed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Stop it Fuuka. Stop being adorable. You're related to Suzuka, that doesn't compute.

Strangely enough, everyone else in this manga are the dumb people for not figuring out that he likes Fuuka.

Okitenemuru 15

Then what happened to the first Okitenemuru she guarded? Did she fail, pretty bad situation for him to be in with her. Though I think he may have the potential to be good enough to guard himself if they try to get to him again. I dont know how it will tie back into the randomly transforming people.

I could be wrong about this since I didn't count anything, but it feels like Naruto is the most discussed of the Big 3, or even most discussed period, manga in the thread. Even if a lot of people post about OP, for example, more often than with Naruto it's single impressions rather than a discussion. And I do catch a lot of the Naruto discussions are purely about the content without any shaming. So I don't know, it seems like they talk more about what happened here 4 years ago than the current situation.

Actually for a while Naruto would be the only one to get a detailed discussion of good and bad because people were fucking up Bleach/OP discussions with caustic garbage.

Eventually the Naruto discussion headed mostly to the bad parts since Kishi was shitting on the series at that point to the degree people started talking up the pre-timeskip stuff big time (and Grimace is like nah son Part 1 sucked as well :p).

As said it was mostly Big 3 talk for most of the week and everything else would happen during the weekends (other series, smut, etc). Then the Big 3 discussion started to degrade severely into cheap shots, troll posts, ad hominem garbage and some started to post less until the weekend.

Zweizer

Banned
Nah, most seinen is almost as easy to find as the typical smut or shonen. In the same places and resources. It just that less people is interested.

Really? Most of the time I don't see them in the usual places, and rarely even get a mention when one of them gets translated. I agree however that less people seem to be interested by it. Maybe Usobuko and you should pick up the slack!

"WednesdayGAF" used to basically be the entire week too. It was just on the weekends when we came out to post, really. Our takeover has been successful.

Now to have the rest of the forum acknowledge the smut!

LeleSocho

Banned
But i still liked the majority of Naruto and i post only here :(

I only hate how every how and then all of a sudden Kishimoto decides to wrap things up while it had great potential for great arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom