• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Kubera s2ch118

Finally feels like we're going to be getting into the meat of the story!
A lot of character arcs feel like they'll be hitting a peak soon enough so renewed vigor in wanting this each week.

Zweizer

Banned
G-Maru Edition by Kawashita Mizuki

An aspiring shoujo artist is seemingly fated to become a famed ero-mangaka! The premise and characters are pretty fun, and the art is easy to the eyes, but ultimately it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Still a decently enjoyable read.

Sneewittchen - Geschichten nach Grimm by Morohoshi Daijirou

A retelling of Grimm's tales with its own twists. It does a pretty good job at underlining the absurd nature of some of these tales, notably their propensity for sudden downers. The art fits it well, be it for the surreal stories it depicts or for its gloomy atmosphere.

Ano Ko no Ie by Kumazawa Mikiko

Absolutely bizarre story about a little girl growing up.

I think.

Azumanga Daioh: Supplementary Materials by Azuma Kiyohiko

I also re-read the original series to refresh my memory, and I must say, Kiyohiko Azuma's art sure has improved since then. Comparatively, it went from a rather bland but still somewhat distinctive artstyle that vaguely reminds me of Shinozaki Rei's (don't Google it), to the current Yotsuba&! one, and it can be jarring to see the difference in details, faces and expressions.

Art improvements aside, it's a cute and fun series of gags starring the cast of Azumanga Daioh, though despite what its name might imply, there isn't much progression or any new tidbits concerning its characters.

Koganeiro by Yokota Takuma

A nice short story about high school students, their ambitions, and their future.

Shengar

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt 5

Critical hit!
It's super effective!
Leader Maxie was paralyzed!
Leader Maxie was frozen!
Leader Maxie was confused!

Evidently I missed all the cute subtext for Team Magma back when I played the original R/S (haven't touched OR/AS yet). Team Aqua need to step their game up.

Matusubusa>Aogiri
This is why Ruby version is the superior one.

Usobuko

Banned
G-Maru Edition by Kawashita Mizuki

An aspiring shoujo artist is seemingly fated to become a famed ero-mangaka! The premise and characters are pretty fun, and the art is easy to the eyes, but ultimately it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Still a decently enjoyable read.

You just sum up most of her manga!

Usobuko

Banned
Apparently the only other manga I read from the author is Ane Doki. I can't recall much of it (and judging from my impressions of it from half a year ago, I can guess why).

Any other of her series that warrant my attention?

If I have to pick, either Hatsukoi Limited or Ichigo 100%. Both are slightly better than Ane Doki, you have to put up with drawn out filler-esque drama for Ichigo 100%. The ending is kinda of a pleasant surprise for your usual shounen harem manga (at that time), well deserved though.

I think she has a particular style for shounen rom-com that is neither very good or bad, it's mostly serviceable carried by her art. At the same time, I don't berate her for it.

Zweizer

Banned
If I have to pick, either Hatsukoi Limited or Ichigo 100%. Both are slightly better than Ane Doki, you have to put up with drawn out filler-esque drama for Ichigo 100%. The ending is kinda of a pleasant surprise for your usual shounen harem manga (at that time), well deserved though.

I think she has a particular style for shounen rom-com that is neither very good or bad, it's mostly serviceable carried by her art. At the same time, I don't berate her for it.

I guess I'll check out Hatsukoi Limited first and then see if I have enough interest for Ichigo 100%.

"Average storyline with good art" sounds right to me. Well, I didn't have a bad time with G-Maru, so if it's enjoyable overall I guess it's still worth reading.

Shengar

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt
Reading this doujinshi makes me remember why I'm currently being fatigued with Pokemon series (game). Game Freak just keep ignoring the human character, rarely develop them to any point being worthy of praise besides their appearance design. Yeah, the game is titled Pokemon, but the trainer is important of its too. HGSS with the gym leaders have another activity outside their gym that usually not related to Pokemon is really nice change of pace. Does they do it again in ORAS? I haven't played it yet, not getting the hype.

Another week with no Red Blood Red Legacy! :( mangabox why.

District Hakkenshin Code T-8 57

Wheres Shino :( Sousuke needs to do something.

Online The Comic 19

The ninja type character design is perfect.

Mai's curse class is definitely the one I would play if I were in this series.

Kurita

Bought stuff today, it's been a while.
NalC08t.png

360pages

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt
Reading this doujinshi makes me remember why I'm currently being fatigued with Pokemon series (game). Game Freak just keep ignoring the human character, rarely develop them to any point being worthy of praise besides their appearance design. Yeah, the game is titled Pokemon, but the trainer is important of its too. HGSS with the gym leaders have another activity outside their gym that usually not related to Pokemon is really nice change of pace. Does they do it again in ORAS? I haven't played it yet, not getting the hype.

Actually compared to FR/LG and HG/SS and the things that the fixed and added, ORAS is actually a pretty weak make.

EP Delta is impressive, but outside of that it's just some nice features. It doesn't even have Gym leader rematches as far as I can tell.

Shengar

Actually compared to FR/LG and HG/SS and the things that the fixed and added, ORAS is actually a pretty weak make.

EP Delta is impressive, but outside of that it's just some nice features. It doesn't even have Gym leader rematches as far as I can tell.

They can't be fucking serious about this.
I'm glad I don't caught the hype, but it is sad to see that they don't want to bring the series back to its peak like HGSS was :/

360pages

I'm glad I don't caught the hype, but it is sad to see that they don't want to bring the series back to its peak like HGSS was :/

BW2 is legit my second favorite in the series just in sheer content and stuff to do. Plus the Pokémon World Tournament was awesome. HG/SS and BW2 are easily my favorites in the series with Emerald following.

ORAS is basically taking all the cool features from Emerald and not including them. ~_~

upandaway

There's no Battle Frontier? That sucks. There hasn't been one since Platinum.

The 3rd versions have all been insane content wise since Emerald (if you count BW2 as a third version), so I'm hoping Z goes all the way.

Zweizer

Banned

FR/LG was basically R/B ported to 3rd Gen, as it didn't feature many changes outside of that (save for the Islands). The new content in OR/AS is somewhat disappointing compared to HG/SS, but it does have a couple of nice additions such as an improved Poke Radar for catching rare mons and the ability to fly. The story of the original games has also been expanded slightly better compared to the previous remakes, especially on the characters side.

It's not the best side game of the series, but I'd say it was fairly decent as far as remakes go, considering that they tend to need to achieve a good balance between pandering to the nostalgic folks and bringing it up to date.

Revo

The Breaker: New Waves 186

What a terrible place to end a chapter at.
Glad to see it's the same breaker as always.

360pages

FR/LG was basically R/B ported to 3rd Gen, as it didn't feature many changes outside of that (save for the Islands). The new content in OR/AS is somewhat disappointing compared to HG/SS, but it does have a couple of nice additions such as an improved Poke Radar for catching rare mons and the ability to fly. The story of the original games has also been expanded slightly better compared to the previous remakes, especially on the characters side.

It's not the best side game of the series, but I'd say it was fairly decent as far as remakes go, considering that they tend to need to achieve a good balance between pandering to the nostalgic folks and bringing it up to date.

Well, that goes back to the fact that would I rate it above X/Y

While OR/AS is decent by its own merits. Could I honestly suggest the game to those who have X/Y and a 4/5 Gen game? I legit can't even with the secret bases.

I could recommend someone getting FR/LG and HG/SS Because a lot of things they do in those games with post game content makes them a longer experience than R/S and D/P.

As a result though I can't say OR/AS has objectively more content than X/Y depending on your situation. Do you have Gen 4 and 5 games? Then you probably don't need all the legends in OR/AS. If X/Y is the only game in the series you have then yeah get them. I feel that the new Mega's are an excuse to have less content over all compared to other remakes and third versions.

I didn't have this problem with FR/LG and HG/SS, I could recommend them even if someone had all the previous games. Simply because they had more things to do compared to previous games before Emerald came out in FR/LG case.

But with OR/AS, it has less pokemon to catch, the removed certain features like the battle Chateu and Trainer customization. For everything hey added to removed a feature right from the previous game.

Bought stuff today, it's been a while.

nice pick ups with jojo/sbr and space brothers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw these figures on the web.... Man do I want these :(

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 58

Well at least they didn't play Monopoly.

Cross Ange - Tenshi to Ryuu no Gakuen 10-11

As always, the cause and solution to every problem is breasts and singing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
10 years since teppu chapter. i browse the empty web trying to think of something else but my path always leads to teppu. i stare at the screen for hours and try to summon new chapters. i read other martial arts mango but it is no good. i flame wan pisu in thread and try to resist the nazi mods but it is all meaningless. the end is near. i then usually read some old teppu chapters and cry myself to sleep.

upandaway

10 years since teppu chapter. i browse the empty web trying to think of something else but my path always leads to teppu. i stare at the screen for hours and try to summon new chapters. i read other martial arts mango but it is no good. i flame wan pisu in thread and try to resist the nazi mods but it is all meaningless. the end is near. i then usually read some old teppu chapters and cry myself to sleep.
Oh but I bet the author has tons of other manga he did which are similar in feel even if not in genre! Try those out!

Monster Musume 30

LJulFhs.png

How can one girl be so best?

Lala is smart, securing her eternal victory in the darlingbowl. That's thinking a few steps ahead.

At this point I don't think Darling even needs to train. He's indestructible as is, who gets kicked by the hindleg of a horse in the face and ends up with only a scratch on the finger?

Going on a trip? I WONDER IF IT WILL BE A BEACH

Why does everything I love go on hiatus ):

Terra Formars 28

Hahahahaha oh man dude this shit is great. I honestly can't tell if they know how stupid this shit is. 11/10

Good news for you! It only gets dumber!

Rhapsody

Banned
Nisekoi 153

Tsugumi so cool.

Was a bit surprised they'd switch the focus to Chitoge since there was yet to be a Marika chapter. Arrived just in time on the last page.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Boku Girl 1-17

Kind of a fun read. TOTALLY different feel from Velvet Kiss. I prefer the slightly more serious romance to the more, what's the best word...Silly romance? Still enjoying it, though!

Zweizer

Banned
I didn't have this problem with FR/LG and HG/SS, I could recommend them even if someone had all the previous games. Simply because they had more things to do compared to previous games before Emerald came out in FR/LG case.

Not contesting HG/SS as being probably the most content-heavy remake (though a big part of it also has to do with how much there were in the original games as well), but personally I found FR/LG and the Sevii Islands fairly boring, and if you take out these islands, the remakes didn't really add much new content (some rematches and that's it? Someone correct me).

Most remakes have little draw if you aren't really interested in completing your Pokedex anyways.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 58

Well at least they didn't play Monopoly.

I wonder what would have happened had they been playing Diplomacy...

Zweizer

Banned
Monster Musume ch30

He should just pick Rachnee or Suu.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch11

Eh, he doesn't treat Firo very well for a father.

Good news for you! It only gets dumber

Oh I'm so ready for it. Can't wait til they become sentient and the God Roach gives his little tirade. Shits guna be SO hype.

its gets better aka dumber.

the best thing so far are the cockroaches/creatures (once you get over the looks, etc)

I fucking loved the art design in the first arc. Roaches are hit or miss for me. Think I'd like them a lot more if they didn't look all CG and rubbery.

Kurita

Ore Monogatari!! vol.4

Love triangle incoming? Love triangle incoming. Stay strong Yamato.
Bonus story was pretty nice. Always a good and cute read.

I Am a Hero vol.12
So apparently if you're lucky enough you can become a super-powerful zombie/human. Kinda weird to see some "regular" fight scenes in this manga but it can lead to some interesting stuff.

Ana Satsujin 53
Everyone continues to be fucking crazy, I love it. Kissing to stabbing, indeed.

Mosnter Musume 30
I think the middle of this chapter started to sway me a bit more towards the Rachnera as best girl camp. Though I still have a soft spot for Cerea.

Darling truly cannot die.

dani_dc

Beelzebub Side Story 5

Just get them together already!

Ana Satsujin 53

I'm not sure why I'm still surprised at her ability to just kill everyone.
That was some heavy make out though.

Short story collections / one-shots by Mitsukazu Mihara
The same author who did R.I.P. which I read a few weeks back. I wanted to check out more of her work because I enjoy the gothic ambiance of her stories, which feel targeted beyond their shoujo / josei demographics. Most of the one-shots were written for the Gothic & Lolita Bible and were too brief to have much impact, but the short story collections were more successful, with some delightfully morbid premises and miserable endings (amid a scattering of hope). Out of everything, IC in a Sunflower was the definite standout.

Quixzlizx

Kono Kanojo wa Fiction Desu 1-33 [end]

I know I'm reading a bit too much into this, but the premise of this manga is pretty unsettling. Someone who is born into the world for literally a single purpose, but said purpose no longer exists. And then Michiru gets that raw deal in the end. I couldn't help but feel like I was reading a tragedy the entire time, even though it was dressed up as a romcom.

lNfmvsD.jpg

Loli already nailed the standard "Not my fault. He/She just jumped out in front of me" after hitting/running over someone.

Everyone in her vicinity should be concerned.

More importantly though.

Those bunny NSFW outfits from the twins.

That ass NSFW on the tsundere cat girl.

tumblr_n70jfanPjA1re1qkwo1_500.png

Finally.

Some fanservice that would make the title proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom