• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like Toriko, though I can understand why it's not popular between it's art style and the oddity of a the characters being either chefs or food hunters. Now the anime I found painful and impossible to get into between animation and voice choices. If nothing else the best thing Toriko has going for it is it's quick paced arcs that never drag out to long, like many other mangas do.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jitsu wa Watashi wa 61

She's a demon! The principal's a demon!

I fucking spit my drink out at the halo, the principal is truly the greatest troll in manga.

I actually like Toriko, though I can understand why it's not popular between it's art style and the oddity of a the characters being either chefs or food hunters. Now the anime I found painful and impossible to get into between animation and voice choices. If nothing else the best thing Toriko has going for it is it's quick paced arcs that never drag out to long, like many other mangas do.

the series is slow at first plus some people find the art choice unappealing as it is more retro with a goofy hint

I find the art to work well with the story... but then again I love those hard sketchy/tinted/goofy look series

there isn't any fanservice either unless you want to see guys shirtless most of the time... but then again the art kinda doesn't allow that fanservice to be taken seriously

As you stated the pacing is great especially for people who read it weekly... you can feel as if something significant happens every week

The whole food premise makes some people turn their glance away from the whole series but people who later read/buy the volumes get really into it after 3 volumes so there is that
As most of you know I like the series but currently it isn't my all time fav especially since it isn't yet completed....

I use to adore Bleach but sadly it jumped the shark a long time ago and not in a good way

I also like Toriko, but am I the only one who hates Komatsu a whole lot. Like for some reason I just detest that annoying shit.

I can see Bleach ending at around the end of spring at the earliest

we'll see

Sorry I went there.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
giving the series that big push and also having Toei handle the anime gave the series a ton of haters

especially those who have nothing better to do but feel anger at people enjoying the series seeing as they sadly can't feel the same with their "Popular" ones

OH YES I WENT THERE

i cant help it when people have bad taste in manga like rockturtle with love junkies!

oh snap its getting real

giving the series that big push and also having Toei handle the anime gave the series a ton of haters

especially those who have nothing better to do but feel anger at people enjoying the series seeing as they sadly can't feel the same with their "Popular" ones

OH YES I WENT THERE

Who are those people though? :p

i usually laugh at Toriko and SJ since it got that big push and it didn't do much at all.

also add other series with 1/10 of that push fucking curb stomping it makes it funnier as well. And if you want to go there also add the supposed rejection of SnK at some point in time as well.

:trollface

4FeScEc.jpg

Finally got Vols 3 and 4 of D-Gray Man, can't wait to read them.

Wait...the same guy who's writing Prison School wrote Me and the Devil Blues?

huh

You can even see inklings of the Devil Blues' style in the latest chapter of Prison School, lol

I remember really liking a few chapters a year or too ago but never finished because I heard it just stopped without a conclusion. Maybe I'll finish it up just because.

There's a continuation. God knows when we will get a new chapter translated though.

Jolyne, Fly High with GUCCI

6abd1e4b8f.jpg

Today on things that never happened

I guess I'll try reading all the JoJo spinoffs.

Jolyne is in an airport and there's some Unicorn stand thing and Bruno, Abbachio and the fat dude in prison from Part 5 come up to her and accuse her of stealing it? It makes no sense, and by that I mean less then usual.
Really this is just an excuse for Araki to draw more fashion shit. I'm sure this isn't canon but I do wish there were more things where characters from different parts interact, although Bruno and Abbachio didn't really do much.

Jotaro is a shitty parent.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yeah I wear braces, but man putting on rubber bands are quite irritating.

i had to one to attach both my bottom and top teeth, it was a living nightmare. i got straight teeth in the end, which made having doki doki moments a lot easier. any manga where the protag wears braces? ive never read one...

So in the span of a few chapters of her introduction, not only does Villager B have nice interaction with the rest of the Karasuno members.

But she gets some actual character development?

I'm extremely pleased with this.

Didn't think the author would actually delve into giving her some development considering the usual norm the manager girl plays in a sports manga.

This is a collection of short stories, and I don't think it really has a name, so I'll just do each one separate.

Under Execution Under Jailbreak by Hirohiko Araki

Guy gets the death sentence, in a Saw-like fashion. Pretty gruesome and good short story.

Dolce and his Master by Hirohiko Araki

Another pretty gruesome story about a cat and his owner on a capsizing sea vessel.
Also this -

Deadman's Questions by Hirohiko Araki

The ghost of Kira Yoshikage (who needs permission to enter buildings like a vampire) who is certain he will not go to heaven, so he does "jobs". Kind of a weird story and there's little explanation, but Araki's idea of what ghosts do is kind of interesting.

Boy Skirt 01

Guy discovers the girl who sits in front of him in class is actually a guy. He finds out he dresses as a girl in order to help her twin sister overcome her fear of guys. But then he tells our main character a secret. And a whole new world opens.

Amusing, definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

_hekk05

Banned
Boy Skirt 01

Guy discovers the girl who sits in front of him in class is actually a guy. He finds out he dresses as a girl in order to help her twin sister overcome her fear of guys. But then he tells our main character a secret. And a whole new world opens.

Amusing, definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

Its definitely a :DTL manga

I'm dropping it cus I get the heeby jeebys

Its definitely a :DTL manga

I'm dropping it cus I get the heeby jeebys

It's basically Prunus Girl expect they go yes, it's a guy at the very start. :p

-------------------------------------------------------------

Gate 4-koma 01

A gate opens up in a Japanese city one day and then we have 4 girls talking about Japanese culture.

Sure I guess?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kokou no Hito 113-170 END

I cried. A beautiful ending to such a raw and powerful series.

Great series.
He died as a mountain climber. He can no longer reach the highest place on Earth. At least he's got better fate than his real life counterpart

These are from the collection called Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan by Hirohiko Araki. In these stories Rohan (a Part 4 character) isn't really the main character for most, just an arbiter there to see the story happen. I wonder if Rohan is a popular character in Japan, he seems to have a lot of side stories. He's definitely one of my favorite JoJo characters.

At a Confessional

Really good short story. Rohan takes a trip to Italy for reference purposes, and ends up in a Church accidentally in the confessional on the Priest's side, where he hears a confession from a man about how he was cursed to suffer misfortune in his happiest moment.

Mutsukabezaka

Another really good short story, this time about a woman who accidentally kills her lover, and his wound never stops bleeding, with Rohan's investigation into it as a Yokai.

Well, two minor part 4 Villains show up in this so I guess this collection isn't canon either. Weird.

Village of Millionaires

680b65f93f.jpg

KISHIBE ROHAN DON'T GIVE A FUCK 'BOUT DAT

Another good story about a completely secluded village of millionaires and a lesson in manners.

Poaching Reef

Decent story about Tonio and Rohan going poaching for a rare creature.
Nice to see Tonio. Always thought he deserved a spinoff, but I think he might have an LN one. Josuke, Koichi and Okuyasu briefly show up too.

Mochizuki Family's Moon Viewing

B7nnQwNCIAE4RdG.jpg:large

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

A family who stays together to watch the Harvest Moon together due to an apparent curse of their family dying on that day and THE MOST TERRIFYING STAND OF ALL TIME JESUS CHRIST

Well I guess that's all of the manga side stories I know of. I already read Rohan at the Louvre a while ago and Purple Haze Feedback is an LN.
I guess I'll just have to keep hoping for that Jorge Joestar translation.
It's pretty interesting how you (or I can at least) tell what time these were all done at by the artstyle since Araki's had so many drastic changes over the years.
If you're a JoJo fan I would recommend these, and even if not some of these are just good oneshots.

wonzo

Banned
Great series.
He died as a mountain climber. He can no longer reach the highest place on Earth. At least he's got better fate than his real life counterpart
He went where no man ever went before and was able to come back alive to his loving family. Seems like he got a pretty good (and well deserved) deal to me!

dat art

will read
scan quality can be p. garbo at times but the art shines through even that

Zweizer

Banned
Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt ch6.5

Upgrade or downgrade? You be the judge!

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch4.5

Expected, but a confirmation is still welcome I guess.

Akuma no Riddle ch29

Here comes the next challenger.

Usobuko

Banned
The last time I marathon a manga was 7 seeds.

Kokou no Hito Chapter 2 - 83

For the longest time I thought Kokou no Hito was simply a seinen take on a guy who found his calling in mountain climbing. What I did get was like a combination of Bambino! + Punpun, a rather depressing tale of an introverted guy who has terrible luck with people ( he seems to attract them with his unassertive personality ) and hence seek refuge by forging a relationship with the 'mountain'. It's unfortunate that the expedition ends up as a failure with him being the sole survivor and further reinforce the notion that bad stuff happens to everything associated with him.

One nitpick though, I hope the author don't go into Sanctuary route when it comes to portrayal of women but then again, almost everyone around him was shitty.

Usobuko

Banned
ARIGATOU 1-11

If I had the will power to drop shit I would dropped it first chapter. MY FUCKING GOD

giphy.gif

It's still a coming of age story with romantic elements! The difference is this story and the themes it presented is rather dramatize with heavy comedic overtones.

Chijou 10 Meter no Ori kara 1-10 (END)
There are some things it's worth trying to kill your lover over. This is one of them.

I'm running out of Mitsukazu Mihara now, which is more tragic than most of the stories here. Actually, this collection was generally more positive than her shorts tend to be. Aside from that, it was more of her usual gothic fare, but then that's what I came for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom