• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Yamada and the Seven Witches 142

While I don't really care about Noa, she's better than Shiraishi.
Hopefully this thing doesn't last too long so we can move faster to it ending.

rrc1594

Fuuka 47

For the most part I'm over this manga. It takes everything I don't like about Seo's work and puts it right and center. 47 chapters in and not one character I'm generally interested in. The pacing has been terrible last couple chapters.

dumbyugi

UQ Holder 65

I'm sure Tota is going to enter the tournament anyway but shit is getting real now. I guess Fate & Eva assume that Negi is the Lifemakers puppet/host body now and that's why they don't want Tota to enter.

Busaiku

Yeah I got bored of the cast pretty fucking quick. I only been fairly casually reading this but it seems to be getting "interesting" a lot quicker. Still not certain whether I'll bother to keep reading it though.

Yeah, since I never cared for Negima, I'm not feeling things right now.
I loved the Santa stuff though.

Kyuur

akame ga kill -

lol @
Mine ending up in a vegetative state.
This feels worse than death; good job, Takahiro.

1Fuookq.gif

Shengar

Come on man, you don't get to do stuff like the Omelette 200 people breakfast thingie or Tadakoro expulsion battle and all other various stuff that he pulled off and then turn over on the next page and say, "Oh no, he's not talented," LOL.

I don't know why the notion seem to offend you, actually. It's a common trope in Shounen/manga in general. Showing how much of a "hardworker" the main guy is: Naruto does it, Bleach does it, etc etc.

That because shounen convention never treat "hardworker" trait. Seeing how it usually goes, "talent" usually an ability or trait that someone innately had. It could be prodigious or required some training, but most of the time it falls to the former. In Soma's case, he is actually more quick-witted rather than "talented" by shounen convention. In Tadokoro's expulsion, they won because of Dojima's mercy, and in 200 People Breakfast Soma's actually stumbled because his initial ideas doesn't really worked out as planned. Saying Soma as untalented is indeed a bit much of a stretch, but it's understandable and acceptable if by "talented" it mean "prodigious talent" (and more so in the context of chapter 102 where he pitted against Kurokiba and Akira) since all of his quickwit come from his experience when cooking against his father.

Also manga that focused on "underdog" couldn't and shouldn't keep their main character "underdog" all the way. It kills character progression, and since underdog mostly (and the only way I think) wins by out-worked their opponent (and bit of luck), they'll develop a skill and talent of their own and stopped being an underdog. An author that tries to do that usually ended up throwing bunch of guys with bizzare talent against the hardworking MC which most of the time will make the situation feels ridiculous. I think what makes good story of underdog is not how the author tries to keep the MC an underdog, but rather make a natural character skill progression out of it. What I rarely see in story about underdog in competition is what happened when the underdog become the top dog, as I only saw it once in Hajime no Ippo when Ippo tries to defend his title for the first time.

UQ Holder

Hmm...
IIRC< Nagi was 'freed' from the lifemaker at the end of Negima, somehow. He and negi must have been recaptured at some point.

And How does the lifemaker know Tota, and why does knowing that freak out Fate and Eva so much?

We know Fate needs Tota for something, but seemingly wants to keep him away from Lifemaker. I'm thinking Tota must be the key to...something.

Fuuka 47

For the most part I'm over this manga. It takes everything I don't like about Seo's work and puts it right and center. 47 chapters in and not one character I'm generally interested in. The pacing has been terrible last couple chapters.

Been over it. I want it to end already. Was a new girl really necessary?

Come on man, you don't get to do stuff like the Omelette 200 people breakfast thingie or Tadakoro expulsion battle and all other various stuff that he pulled off and then turn over on the next page and say, "Oh no, he's not talented," LOL.

I don't know why the notion seem to offend you, actually. It's a common trope in Shounen/manga in general. Showing how much of a "hardworker" the main guy is: Naruto does it, Bleach does it, etc etc.

That because shounen convention never treat "hardworker" trait. Seeing how it usually goes, "talent" usually an ability or trait that someone innately had. It could be prodigious or required some training, but most of the time it falls to the former. In Soma's case, he is actually more quick-witted rather than "talented" by shounen convention. In Tadokoro's expulsion, they won because of Dojima's mercy, and in 200 People Breakfast Soma's actually stumbled because his initial ideas doesn't really worked out as planned. Saying Soma as untalented is indeed a bit much of a stretch, but it's understandable and acceptable if by "talented" it mean "prodigious talent" (and more so in the context of chapter 102 where he pitted against Kurokiba and Akira) since all of his quickwit come from his experience when cooking against his father.

Also manga that focused on "underdog" couldn't and shouldn't keep their main character "underdog" all the way. It kills character progression, and since underdog mostly (and the only way I think) wins by out-worked their opponent (and bit of luck), they'll develop a skill and talent of their own and stopped being an underdog. An author that tries to do that usually ended up throwing bunch of guys with bizzare talent against the hardworking MC which most of the time will make the situation feels ridiculous. I think what makes good story of underdog is not how the author tries to keep the MC an underdog, but rather make a natural character skill progression out of it. What I rarely see in story about underdog in competition is what happened when the underdog become the top dog, as I only saw it once in Hajime no Ippo when Ippo tries to defend his title for the first time.

Precisely.

Also with Naruto and Bleach, there has always been a 'but'.

Naruto - Talentless 'but' he has amazing amount of Chakra + Kyuubi

Ichigo - Talentless 'but' he has amazing amount of Reiatsu + that mask thing

With Soma, he can just cook well. All his accomplishments aren't dealt with last minute asspull power up but instead by using his mind instead, and by challenging his OP of a father hundreds of times.

Right now, Soma is characterised as managing to be a great cook thanks to his tenacity, and that has been a consistent portrayal so far. He's currently an underdog in the manga because everyone underrates him, as it was said in chapter 102.

kasane

come on seo make fuuka interesting

like after reforming his band make the mc leave them for this girl

luls will be hilarious

Woah woah wow! Sunset Rose is incredible. I know Akita Shotsn titles are under looked on this forum, but you are doing a big disservice if you aren't reading this. Wow!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sengoku Youko 65
Oh dammit Senya. Y u leave? T_T

Spirit Circle 31

Two more to go. The last arc is amazing and downright depressing.

Usobuko

Banned
Woah woah wow! Sunset Rose is incredible. I know Akita Shotsn titles are under looked on this forum, but you are doing a big disservice if you aren't reading this. Wow!

I remember this. When does this gets good?

It was fairly interesting at the start, I read until they found the ship.

mjontrix

Precisely.

Also with Naruto and Bleach, there has always been a 'but'.

Naruto - Talentless 'but' he has amazing amount of Chakra + Kyuubi

Ichigo - Talentless 'but' he has amazing amount of Reiatsu + that mask thing

With Soma, he can just cook well. All his accomplishments aren't dealt with last minute asspull power up but instead by using his mind instead, and by challenging his OP of a father hundreds of times.

Right now, Soma is characterised as managing to be a great cook thanks to his tenacity, and that has been a consistent portrayal so far. He's currently an underdog in the manga because everyone underrates him, as it was said in chapter 102.

Soma is even worse, he has little development and it's been 100+ chapters. Not as bad as nisekoi.

Soma will eventually lose (to someone other than dad) that's when things will start happening.

And ichigo isn't talentless after the final getsuga thing - he has actual swordskill (for whatever that counts in bleach) but less moves (now atm) than naruto had before pain.

He can't really be that much of an underdog if he keeps winning (except against his dad).
Zexal is the worst hairdo kid right?....... yup it is

So is the badder the hairdo the worser the series?

Yes.

Also akame ga kill - satsuga Takahiro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom