• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

7 Seeds 60

What is it with this series and mincing unconscious people?

I can take explicit gore just fine, but both mincing scenes made me stop for a few seconds before continuing. I was even already expecting the second one, and yet it still made me pause.

Wait, really?

panda, what are you doing?

I was talking more in general. Panda-kun treats me well~

It takes Negima like 10 volumes to get good. The Kyoto arc has some decent moments but the festival is where it really starts to get good. Too bad the ending sucked so bad that it soured me on the actual good stuff.

I think it got good around vol 3, when Eva and the pactio system was introduced. At that point, the series had it's 'hook' and an overall goal besides harem hijinks. Suddenly, the various girls had an actual point.

Kyoto was also the first time, IIRC, where the series clearly connected to Love Hina, universe wise.

rrvv

Negima 1

My new teacher can't possibly be this cute

Yeah this is... well you guys said this was harem rom com and damn

The novelty here is seeing several of the girls in the class roster whom I know to be characters in UQ holder like Eva and Mana. Guess the question is do they already have magic powers or will they develop magic powers due to the influence of Negi.

is more than just your standard rom com thought. as series goes by

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Negima 1

The novelty here is seeing several of the girls in the class roster whom I know to be characters in UQ holder like Eva and Mana. Guess the question is do they already have magic powers or will they develop magic powers due to the influence of Negi.

It changes genres about 100 or so chapters in and actually gets pretty good.

Lain

Gokusai Volume 2
Somb.jpg

I really love the covers for this.
Rilo takes a backseat position in this volume (she wasn't exactly prominent in the first one, but It's mostly all Jo in this) while we see more of Jo/Jo's mother and how, in a way, the past and also Rilo's encounter with Jo shaped him.
The whole Van Gogh part was intense, especially when Jo
tried to take his ear off
The volume ended on a better note than I was expecting at the start for Jo and Rilo, but it also has an assurance of future problems/dangers to befall on Jo and Rilo.

Maken Ki! Volume 9
Tomb.jpg

That fabulous nipple slip for Aki was... fabulous.
9 volumes to see Takeru not be a chicken shit and realize that his "I won't hit women" was just him running away. Took long but hopefully he'll stop being shit for real. At least he completed the Blood Pointer and hopefully will give an ass-kicking to that asshole.
So Himegami is Yamata no Orochi (adult Himegami is hot)? Given the start of the flashback, I'm guessing the old asshole is possessed by the spirit of Kousu. Ousu is the spit image of Takeru instead.

I'd love to see Hiromitsu Takeda do one of his usual works with the Maken Ki cast. Alas it's too bad it'll never happen.

Dragon Head Volume 5
Vomb.jpg

Still no explanation about what kind of catastrophe hit Earth or what caused it. I like that Teru and Ako meet both good and bad people. Makes me appreciate them both more, as their experience in the tunnel forged a certain bond of trust between the two. It's also good to see how Teru, a kid, is more thoughtful of his past actions than adults like those military guys.
I don't like how Ako was left like that by Nimura. Dude is a grade A asshole, as shown by his action in the previous volume (and I gotta give it to Ako for having the balls to go with him to look for the medicine for Teru). Hopefully nothing bad happens to her since it would break my heart.

Dragon Jam Volume 5
Womb.jpg

On one hand, I think the game took too long to end. On the other hand, the game was pretty exciting, with great plays and also a lot of personality coming out not only from the players but also some of the people watching (Handsome's Air Guitar play to pump Tatsuya, Ako and Taizo was fantastic).
Ako had one great moment when she got that one 3 pointer over Panther. She really tricked him good.
With the game done and
The Street Dreams winning
I'm not sure where the story is gonna go next, but it's clear that the rivalry between Ryoji and Tatsuya can't just end like that. I wonder if it will focus on street basketball still or focus on Tatsuya trying to become a professional player. I'd probably prefer street basketball.

Children of the Sea Volume 5
Xomb.jpg

I'd say that this manga that focused so much on the sea was too deep for me, but it seems like a lame joke.
Still, the end was a bit too deep. I would have preferred a less up to the reader experience for the last part.
I'm also saddened by how it ended but glad that all those left still loved the sea and were full of curiosity about it and looking for their answers, though Ruka's hand in that last page confused me a bit in how I should interpret that.
All in all though, a great series. It really captured the magic, mystery, beauty and dangerous aspect of the sea, as far as I'm concerned and in large part that's also thanks to Igarashi's masterful art.

Turok_TTZ

Negima remains to this day my #1 favorite shounen series. it may take some time to get into but I say with great confidence it is worth reading. I put it with my top three of Negima, YYH and Gintama. even if the ending left me so bitter for months...

UQ Holder's latest chapter... well shit, springfield family can't catch a break. almost reminds me of a certain joestar family...

Spoiler pics of Gintama 526 abounds on the internet.

If those pics aren't taken out of context and the stuff in it actually sticks, we might actually be very close to endgame for this series.

Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai 10

Nice guy asks her out, she has a good time with nice guy, still gets hung over jerky guy from before, why shoujo why

Quasar

Kono Oneesan 47 - kind of shocked theres only one chapter left. Guess I'm not getting what I wished for.

Domestic na Kanojo 20 - Harem is all built up now, which is not what I wanted.

Ao Haru Ride 48 - I guess something bad is about to happen.

wonzo

Banned
All-Rounder Meguru 29-56

I can praise the technical nature of this enough but I think the best element of this series is its use of social commentary to build up the characters backstories and motivations, the execution of which is far more nuanced and grounded than most other series I can think of that've tried and failed. Well, that and Endo's afterwords!

Nordicus

Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai 10

Nice guy asks her out, she has a good time with nice guy, still gets hung over jerky guy from before, why shoujo why
I'm convinced most shoujo protagonists are secretly masochists, but...

Taiyou no Ie 49

...thankfully not all of them. Some of them are on the other hand just pretty fucking clueless.
A long awaited confession in one of the most popular romantic spots in an amusement park? NAAAAWWWWWWWWW, never!

Also looks like this might be the penultimate chapter

Negima 1

Don't worry, it turns into a slightly (?) ecchi battle manga later on. But yeah you can't read UQ holder without reading negima first.

Boku wa Mari 42

Mari actually being a psycho that never body-swapped seems way too obvious at this point. Unless the series is about to end, I kind of hope it isn't that.

_hekk05

Banned
Spirit Migration

New manga, adaptation of another web novel, about a soul who can move between living things.

Translated by /ak/, so you know its good.

Also from the rawlands:

Magical Patisserie Kosaki-chan!!

vxrwsl.jpg

Apparently this is a thing

Zweizer

Banned
I was talking more in general. Panda-kun treats me well~

He can be a real slave driver though~

Spirit Migration

New manga, adaptation of another web novel, about a soul who can move between animals.

Translated by /ak/, so you know its good.

Gave it a read. Well, it looks interesting enough. I kinda like the protagonist's relax attitude towards the various perils encountered, and also towards the whole being a spirit thing.

Raxus

One Piece

So kawaii...

Bleach

It felt like 20 things where coalescing in this one chapter and I didn't get any of it. Part of the problem when you drop in the middle of an arc I suppose.

Revo

Taiyou no Ie 49

Perfectly okay with it ending next chapter, everything important feels wrapped up and side character stuff can be summed up next chapter.

Zweizer

Banned
Taiyou no Ie 49

Perfectly okay with it ending next chapter, everything important feels wrapped up and side character stuff can be summed up next chapter.

I wanted to see more of Hina, who had gotten very little screentime compared to the rest of the house, but otherwise I agree.

Revo

Yeah, a little more Hina could have nice. For most of the story she was just an item on a list to be filled so anything that adds to her character would be great.

Shonen to Yoru no Mahou [oneshot]
B79gS_GCMAEBdJq.png:large

Ah yes my favorite type of story, friends falling in love but both unable to say their feelings until strange events happen. I loved how they had the body switching and hugging and kissing. Sweet story.

Also it oddly looks like Kageyama and Suga from Haikyuu!! The characters even act the same way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom