• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's supposed to create a risk/reward mechanic where you either rent everything and risk losing out if you die, or only rent just what you need at the time to save cash and risk not having the tools to unlock all the hidden secrets.

Except the dynamic is borked from all angles. The game throws money at you constantly, enough that you basically never have to worry about rental fees. And there isn't enough to spend money on to make you think twice about renting everything at once.

Dying is also too hard. Unless you actively avoid heart containers and refuse to use fairies and potions, staying alive through a prolonged encounter is easy.

I died in Turtle Rock once because I hadn't found the net yet for capturing fairies and it was just an annoyance to have to go back and get the items again and then make my way back to the dungeon. I couldn't figure out if there was an aspect to it other than being annoying.

Famassu

I'd like some recommendations for new mangas that have been (officially) released in English (series' localization doesn't have to be completed, on-going/not cancelled is fine as well) . My collection, as it stands, contains volumes from the following mangas (all of which I've liked to some degree):

Akira (once complete, but I seem to have lost volume 1)
Planetes (still missing vol 2, haven't found it anywhere)
Pluto (Complete)
20th Century Boys (I have every volume up to 8, but am not feeling like completing my collection of this long-ish manga right now)
Death Note (Complete)
Beck ~Mongolian Chop Squad~ (RIP localizations)
Berserk (up to vol 15, though have read longer, don't feel like buying more volumes atm with the way Miura is advancing the manga once every few millenia)
Battle Angel Alita (Completed)
Battle Angel Alita Last Order (only 2 or 3 volumes so far)
Welcom to NHK (Complete)
Solanin
What A Wonderful World (both volumes)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Complete)
Mushishi (Complete)
Vinland Saga (Vol 1 already in my collection and have got Vol 2 pre-ordered & paid in full for dat January 2014 goodness)

plus I've read & more or less enjoyed (at least to some point in the story) stuff like

Yotsuba & !
Monster
Great Teacher Onizuka
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Bleach
Detective Conan
Hunter X Hunter
Rurouni Kenshin
Azumanga Daioh
Gantz (quite early into this, have read it gets pretty bad later on)
Hikaru no Go

Preferably mangas that are not too long (<10-15 volumes) and preferably mangas that are either completed or might actually be completed in the next 1-3 years (or are from mangakas who are known to actually finish their mangas in a reasonable (<30 volumes/10 years as an absolute most) time span), though if you feel something longer, early and/or unfinished is REALLY worth reading (as in, you feel it's the next Berserk or something), I'm up for those kinds of recommendations as well. I'd like to avoid more Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Fairy Tail/Detective Conan/Berserk kinds of situations with 10-20+ year old mangas spanning 30+ volumes. Not really too much into shonen these days, so maybe don't recommend Toriko (or whatever that crazy-looking monster-food manga is...) or Fairy Tail or stuff like that.

If there are some "too few people know about this" manga recommendations, those are perhaps the most appreciated since I can find the more commonly given recommendations through google pretty easily, but some of the more obscure ones can often be forgotten to be mentioned or really aren't known by that many people at all (i.e. a lot of people always recommends stuff like Berserk, Akira and Great Teacher Onizuka, far fewer recommend stuff like Solanin).

So, I've been thinking about FMA lately...just WHAT exactly makes it tiers above every other mainstream anime out right now?

I mean I KNOW it's fucking fantastic considering I re-read it annually (King Bradley <3) but even though it got ridiculous power wise (well, by FMA standards anyhow) near the end, it never came off as "bad" as Naruto has gotten lately.

Why is that? I really can't put it into words.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Teppuu 22

I am super confused whose brother they're referring to.

I'm guessing natsuo?

This fight is amazing though. So glad that it's back.

Kurita

So, I've been thinking about FMA lately...just WHAT exactly makes it tiers above every other mainstream anime out right now?

I mean I KNOW it's fucking fantastic considering I re-read it annually (King Bradley <3) but even though it got ridiculous power wise (well, by FMA standards anyhow) near the end, it never came off as "bad" as Naruto has gotten lately.

Why do you compare a manga to anime though?

Antiwhippy

I don't read naruto, but what made Full metal alchemist great were the characters really, and how they came together at the end. Homounculus's intent, Scar's redemption arc, king bradley's unflinching march with his homonuculus belief while still admiring the strengths of humans, envy showing what he valued most, etc. etc. Plus the lore they gave to the world, such as the ishvalan civil war, added such depth to characters such as mustang and his crew, as well as being a great mid-story flashback that gives context to how the homonuculi first started their plans to build the giant transmutation circle.

Plus steampunk >>>>>>>>>> boring ninjas.

Did you miss the last few chapters? They've dealt with the brother pretty heavily.

Actually I missed that they called him isshidou, but it's been so damn long that I can't remember whose surname is whose. :p

dumbyugi

Teppuu 22

This has been a great fight so far. I don't know if it's just me but the art seems a little off compared to how it was before the hiatus. It's not a huge difference but it seems a little worse. It might just be me though.

Cerity

Ippo 1039

THESE NEED TO COME OUT FASTER.

Cohesiveness and direction really. At the beginning of FMA, you know the characters are going on some form of adventure but the direction doesn't get too loose, it was still short enough that the author could tie everything up into a nice package. The general seriousness of it helped a great deal as well. Revisiting the areas that the brothers had been to previously was also a big plus, it solidified the world and the characters.

Akito

Maybe I'm misreading this, but it seemed more to me that Maki was speechless (in a bad way) that Meguru even suggests she make something for him. Lol.

It sounded like "woman, go make me a sandwich"; albeit, Meguru doesn't actually mean it in a malicious sense.
Nah, I was just surprised at the nonchalant way he said it which make him more "swaggy" than he probably ever intended to haha. Can't wait to see how Maki will make her comeback once she has recovered from the shock.

wonzo

Banned
wahjah moe 51
notpopular51.png

this series just got sdburton as fuck

though i would be p. glad if this actually goes somewhere significant with the character

Blade Play 38

fantasygameartdesign.jpg

Lain

Teppu 22

Understanding the text makes everything better, even if looking at the raw made it more or less explicit what was going on. Sanae is pretty concentrated on the fight, and I hope Natsuo will do the same in round 2.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hajime No Ippo

Do you see Morikawa? Just have a normal fight without all the gimmicks and BS and it can still be interesting as hell.

bjork

I'd like some recommendations for new mangas that have been (officially) released in English (series' localization doesn't have to be completed, on-going/not cancelled is fine as well) . My collection, as it stands, contains volumes from the following mangas (all of which I've liked to some degree):.

How about the 13-volume translation Viz did for Golgo 13? It doesn't cover the entire series and jumps around from period to period, but it's episodic so it works.

Only other thing that's short that's springing to mind is Parasyte, I think that's 8 or 9 volumes?

I died in Turtle Rock once because I hadn't found the net yet for capturing fairies and it was just an annoyance to have to go back and get the items again and then make my way back to the dungeon. I couldn't figure out if there was an aspect to it other than being annoying.

I find this post strange after reading your post in the ot

It's funnier to me that people can't find the net
given its found in almost the same exact way as in LTTP.

???

Antiwhippy

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

This is the dumbest fucking shit I've read due to the name in a loooooooong time.

Shengar

The Heroic Legend of Arslan 5

Damn, Yoshiki Tanaka really love them pretty boys isn't he? But Narsas is really cool and collective character. Hiromu Arakawa did pretty well to capture the right vibe for the man.

Magi 205

I don't think we'll see Sinbad become the main antagonist, but he could be the final boss ala Duke from Tales of Vesperia who isn't evil but his plans and vision for the world conflict with the main party.

The Flow: Stream 24
He should stop being a wuss. Now that he knows about he should be able to somewhat control it

Log Horizon- Harem Version
The power of a harem lead

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I find this post strange after reading your post in the ot

???
I hadn't gone to look for it yet. After I died I needed fairies and the net was in the first place I looked.

@Glass Rebel, And no, not on Hero Mode. That fucken turtle does a double bite that takes off like four hearts and he doesn't start doing it twice until he's about to die.

Nana to Kaoru 103
Will these two please figure out they like each already, there can be only so much obliviousness in a manga world. Still I hope the next couple chapters detail how a S&M collar is made.

Konya mo Nemurenai 15

We wait two months for such a brief chapter only to be told the next one will be in January :( I needed Endo and Hiriki to escape from the jail and finally get together, but silly Kaim being in the way.

remz

I think law will probably survive through some kind of trickery using his DF ability. he's a surgeon so maybe he hid and removed his organs or something so the gunshot wasn't fatal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom