• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about the rolled-up chinos (wtf, just wear shorts bro); but Sperries are classic and look good in damned near any setting. They're casual but sharp.

There's classic prep and there's hipster prep. One is lame, and one is timeless. :)

It's all about showing off the ankles. How can you deny this look?

tumblr_lyklw12Et01r8dp85o1_500.png

tumblr_m2buhjfuDy1qfm7beo1_500.jpg

Boken

Banned
It's all about showing off the ankles. How can you deny this look?

tumblr_lyklw12Et01r8dp85o1_500.png

tumblr_m2buhjfuDy1qfm7beo1_500.jpg

I think that stuff can be fresh, but GAF almost invariably errs on the conservative side of the fashion/style divide. I have no idea why they even like that professor badass is wearing, other then the odd love of beards (and his beard is pretty awesome)

DXPett1

Not sure if it is appropriate for this thread but does anyone know where I can get my hands on the FUBU x 123klan collaboration Varisty Jacket?

5d27a139809fd2e007759d74eb0be391.jpg

click for BIG pic

exarkun

I love a good watch, haven't bought one in years (I have two that just...lasted and were in good taste) just picked this one up courtesy of the gf for our anniversary:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TB2DWY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

shit is too dope. Its spring/summer time, and I think a good leather band wins out over a metal one because it gives a much more class and dress up or down vibe than the more...hefty metal band options.

Hows buying clothes on Amazon? I've never really done it cause I like to try my clothes on at the store, but there prices are usually a little more impressive on Amazon. Worth it? And do they have a good selection?

Alucrid

Banned
I know those words but that sentence makes no sense.

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/yahoo-serious-festival.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

sagged is how you wear them, baggy is how they fit, khaki describes the color and dickies is the synonymous term for dickies work pants.

but dont buy the boots, theyre ugly

sagged is how you wear them, baggy is how they fit, khaki describes the color and dickies is the synonymous term for dickies work pants.

but dont buy the boots, theyre ugly

Thanks for the clarification. I normally wear things for how they feel rather than look and these fit the bill for work shoes (manual labour - yay) but I'm open to suggestions.

Alucrid

Banned
Thanks for the clarification. I normally wear things for how they feel rather than look and these fit the bill for work shoes (manual labour - yay) but I'm open to suggestions.

something by redwing maybe? Iron rangers. Or wolverine 1000 mile / ll bean khatadin boots.

not sure if you're required to have steel toe / non slip / etc.

CFMOORE!

Not sure if it is appropriate for this thread but does anyone know where I can get my hands on the FUBU x 123klan collaboration Varisty Jacket?

5d27a139809fd2e007759d74eb0be391.jpg

click for BIG pic

Don't mind the black and yellow, but man, that jacket is hideous.

I love a good watch, haven't bought one in years (I have two that just...lasted and were in good taste) just picked this one up courtesy of the gf for our anniversary:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TB2DWY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

shit is too dope. Its spring/summer time, and I think a good leather band wins out over a metal one because it gives a much more class and dress up or down vibe than the more...hefty metal band options.

Hows buying clothes on Amazon? I've never really done it cause I like to try my clothes on at the store, but there prices are usually a little more impressive on Amazon. Worth it? And do they have a good selection?

never bought clothes off amazon, it can't be any worse than any other online shopping experience. I want a new watch too, mine is currently in for service and it will take 10 damn weeks! But I also don't like this one. The shape and face are pretty gross. But I do want something with a leather band.

was thinking about something like this: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/watchesandwatchstraps/PRDOVR~73045/73045.jsp

i only wish it had an automatic movement.

Lol no kidding..

Dunno why people roll their hems like that, just get them cuffed properly if you going to do it 99.9% of the time. Especially if they have been weighted with fabric like those Thom ones.

Lol no kidding..

Dunno why people roll their hems like that, just get them cuffed properly if you going to do it 99.9% of the time. Especially if they have been weighted with fabric like those Thom ones.

Because it's an option. I roll up my sleeves all the time but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn my dress shirts and oxfords into short sleeve shirts.

Alucrid

Banned
while we're airing grievances, I still don't get why everyone is so rock-hard about captain or professor bad ass or whatever

far cooler designers out there

Because it's an option. I roll up my sleeves all the time but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn my dress shirts and oxfords into short sleeve shirts.
Well shirts aren't pants, and I'm looking at picture of a guy who rolled up his suit pants. I know we have to compulsively roll shit now but moderation peeps.

Well shirts aren't pants, and I'm looking at picture of a guy who rolled up his suit pants. I know we have to compulsively roll shit now but moderation peeps.

Being that the guy isn't wearing socks nor a long sleeve shirt, I'm confident we can assume he's rocking a very casual look albeit based around the typically traditional suit. It's a "different" look for sure, but I'd let it slide in this instance. If I saw someone in a business setting dressed like this, though? I'd laugh him out of the building.

Fritz

while we're airing grievances, I still don't get why everyone is so rock-hard about captain or professor bad ass or whatever

far cooler designers out there

Yeah, I don't see any particular style there. He is just fashionable in that way that looks ridiculous when the fad went and then everybody goes: What was I thinking, lol?

I think today's fashion makes you believe it's stylish because it borrows so heavily from real lasting classics.

It's kinda the exact opposite of what the thread title says. Just my opinion though.

soultron

Banned
Being that the guy isn't wearing socks nor a long sleeve shirt, I'm confident we can assume he's rocking a very casual look albeit based around the typically traditional suit. It's a "different" look for sure, but I'd let it slide in this instance. If I saw someone in a business setting dressed like this, though? I'd laugh him out of the building.

Rolling is like the last bad habit a hipster will take with him into true manhood. Eventually he'll drop that too, given more time. The important thing is that he's not dressing like a complete ironic asshat anymore, right?

Progress is progress, however slow it might come.

CFMOORE!

Thats kind of the point, its a piss take of American urban culture by Asians. Thanks for your opinion, feedback is always welcome

Huh? Fubu is an American urban brand. I don't get what you mean by it being a piss take by Asians. If youre trying to argue it was intentionally designed to be some kind of twist on how Asians perceive urban clothing you're more than likely wrong. It is just terrible clothing.

Huh? Fubu is an American urban brand. I don't get what you mean by it being a piss take by Asians. If youre trying to argue it was intentionally designed to be some kind of twist on how Asians perceive urban clothing you're more than likely wrong. It is just terrible clothing.

I think our guy here is confused by the models haha.

But yea that jacket is atrocious. Avoid like AIDS.

Do you have a full picture shot? I kind of like but know I couldnt pull it off.
Maybe thats just because I like the tattoos haha.

soultron

Banned
Right. I have my share of classic/expensive watches. Just looking for something more unique than the typical watch design.

I still buy stuff from Nixon, myself. Some of the watches are affordable, but they're all well-built, in my experience. I own two of their watches. They're my beater watches I wear everyday, basically.

Would you like something with a metal band, a canvas/nylon or leather strap? Simple face with no hour markings? Automatic? Digital display? Any picture references would be helpful.

Anyone here actively train and are larger than the average skinny model?

Well you guys in the US are lucky as UK fitting of clothes is horrendous. Because I train a lot my thighs are big, but my waist isn't huge. So I'm wearing a size 38" waist just so the things can get past my legs and not look like skinny jeans

I bough some chinos the other day and my god it looks like I'm wearing flares! The shit is outrageous! I just wish companies out there w,old be a little more generous in the seat area of jeans/chinos

I though all hope was lost until I found Carrot cut bottoms last year from a company called Asosmmi don't know if other manufacturers do these cut but they are perfect for the wider guy. Wide on the thighs but cut in, almost to skinny jeans tightness, from the knee down. They are PERFECT for when you wear slimmer shoes

Anyways, off to get my 52" blazer tailored to fit me properly :(

soultron

Banned
Mecha, I'd take those pants with you a tailor and see if they can recommend any similar fits or brands.

Outside of that, I'd speak with a tailor anyway. They might offer some advice as to what fits are going to be easy to modify for your body.

Mecha, I'd take those pants with you a tailor and see if they can recommend any similar fits or brands.

Outside of that, I'd speak with a tailor anyway. They might offer some advice as to what fits are going to be easy to modify for your body.

Yeah I'm going to take them tomorrow and see what they can do. But I need them for Sunday!

Yeah I will need to see a tailor. Went to get a shirt fitting and the nice tailored fitted shirts were amazing, but I couldn't fit my arms into the slim fitting shirts which was obvious. But I hate having ill fitting clothes

As for the bare ankles, well (I hate to sound like this) we have been doing it in a different way for a while now (like in the 80's, more of a street culture thing where you wanted to wear baggy jeans but still show off your fresh trainers). In London we call them pin rolls..

pinroll02.jpg

pinrolling04small1ha.jpg
pinrolling05small9ww.jpg

in-the-wild-0.jpg

images

hogangidley-thumb-490x490-155521.jpg

Damn. I need a similar blazer for this summer!

Search eBay.

I picked up a Ralph Lauren one last year, looks like I'm in Miami Vice or something (it doesn't fit now :|)

I still pinroll today, depending on what I'm wearing. Khakis/chinos, no socks, clean trainers.

I bought a fair few carrot cuts so I don't need to pinroll that much nowadays, but I always feel like they're going to pop out!

I have a data on Sunday so just preparing what I'm going to be wearing, think I'll keep it simple with a black shirt, chinos and trainer/sneaker shoes.

One thing I've noticed recently are the collar difference in cheap shirts and pricier ones. I bought a £5 shirt for an event where I didn't want to spend money, and I didn't realise how tacky the collar was in comparison to another pricier one I bought a few years back.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So as mentioned last week the jeans I got were too big, so I went back and got some AE jeans (again, AE, yeah). They fit better, still tight around the thighs though, but this should happen right? They will loosen as I wear them, but right now they are pretty tight sitting down.

omgkitty

How are these in person? They look like they could either be great or terrible online.

They look pretty decent in person. I'll admit they're not my favorite shoes in the world, but they look good and my other pair of brown leather shoes are messed up (the soles are coming off). Plus it's really hard finding dressier shoes in a size 15 so I take what I cant get most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom