• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

Nay. But not as nay as shorts & blazers.

Speaking of which, this afternoon I went to Zara and noticed they're really pushing the whole shorts+blazers thing. I really hope this won't spread this summer (well definitely not where I live at least, it's too hot already to wear a blazer).

Shorts go only with t-shirts, polos and shirts. But that's me.

shorts and blazers is like classic yuppie/waspy/Nantucket wear. And with men's fashion, I can absolutely see it go mainstream. But yea, its a very "frat boy/old wealth" sort of thing.

I love monk straps. I never see anyone else with them. Oops, I forgot--it's Southern California and no one knows how to dress here :\

On the subject of monk straps, I'm reminded of this scene in The World is Not Enough:

bond_chair1-1.jpg

lol (that picture cracks me up, idk)

Well, that's what he gets for mixing brown shoes and a black belt.

Roofy

I need a pair of monk straps in my life. I find them gorgeous.

I bought a pair of Mezlan double monks off of The Silentist a while back for $60 and they've been an amazing investment. My friends still think I'm weird that I'll wear shoes someone else has but a ramen budget is a ramen budget...

dcdobson

This has probably been addressed at some point, but how do you all feel about black (faded) t-shirts over black jeans? On a black person?

Mangotron

This has probably been addressed at some point, but how do you all feel about black (faded) t-shirts over black jeans? On a black person?

Black on black outfits are probably one of the most difficult combos to pull off, a lot of it depends on subtle shade differences and excellent fit. I've seen some black dudes pull it off really well so it can be done.

I bought a pair of Mezlan double monks off of The Silentist a while back for $60 and they've been an amazing investment. My friends still think I'm weird that I'll wear shoes someone else has but a ramen budget is a ramen budget...

Heh, I found my pair of Mezlan monks at a thrift store. No one needs to know. But other people into clothing should understand, anyway. Styleforum.net is filled with thrifters, for instance.

No. Color is your friend.

Black on black (on black!) can look pretty badass, though:

XixpF.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It can look badass, sure. Doesn't mean you should try to imitate it.

Had a black-everything orchestra uniform (black shoes, black tie, black belt, black shirt). had to wear it to my lab where I wear black nitrile gloves. People told me I looked like an assassin or something. Felt pretty badass.

Menelaus

Banned
ManshionGAF, I need to upgrade from Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs. Lay it on me. Not opposed to spending $20/pair for good quality that will last.

MadmanUK

I've taken up biking (mountain biking I guess) and I have no clue what to wear while doing so. Imma need some ideas. I don't want to wear bike shorts, (like, the skin tight spandex kind) but other kinds of shorts might be okay I guess? I really don't know what to wear. Halp!

I always wear endura shorts. My new bike's saddle is pretty firm so i wear some padded lycra shorts underneath. Depending on the weather i usually wear a compression top/base layer with a t-shirt over it. If it's a bit cold just a thin showerproof jacket over it which you can always take off when you warm up. Altura do some nice jackets but i just bought a cheap one off ebay and it does the trick.

Violater

Perhaps, but I like them, so I am keeping them anyway. But perhaps I'll just wear my regular dress shoes tomorrow since you guys are making me increasingly insecure.

I don't get it, what makes them so hideous? I honestly don't see what's wrong with them.

Ha I have 1 of these, most comfortable work shoes ever.
Don't worry dude I feel your pain.
I love em though.

Kozak

Banned
Need a bit of fashion advice.

What sort of shirts would you guys say would suit a pair of khaki slims the best? Most of the time I'm matching them with flano's.

1007102-khazoom1.jpg

pic of khaki slims.

Would it be fair to say mainly plain t-shirts?

aside from the wtf drawstring waist (why is it there?) khaki chinos are pretty much a casual blank slate, so anything really. Tees, oxfords, flannels, you name it.

Tomodachi

What sort of shirts would you guys say would suit a pair of khaki slims the best? Most of the time I'm matching them with flano's.

Would it be fair to say mainly plain t-shirts?

As macuser said, pretty much anything. Khaki is the new jeans. I'd go with dark blue or white shirts or polos, if I really had to choose.

Also, I don't like naked ankles that were all the rage last year but I also can't stand when the legs are too long. They shouldn't do all that folds, they definitely need to lose a few cms.

spicy cho

Black on black outfits are probably one of the most difficult combos to pull off, a lot of it depends on subtle shade differences and excellent fit. I've seen some black dudes pull it off really well so it can be done.
I don't get this at all. Everyone looks good in black to me. You can't really go wrong as long as the fit is good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I always wear endura shorts. My new bike's saddle is pretty firm so i wear some padded lycra shorts underneath. Depending on the weather i usually wear a compression top/base layer with a t-shirt over it. If it's a bit cold just a thin showerproof jacket over it which you can always take off when you warm up. Altura do some nice jackets but i just bought a cheap one off ebay and it does the trick.

Thanks. Endura seems pretty cool, although they seem to lack in variety, and I would like to see what some of the styles look like on models before I purchase anything.

I've never really thought about it, as I don't go to the gym or play sports or anything like that, but how do people find fashionable fitness/sports wear? I mean, are there any good blogs or sites that I should check out? I'm thinking about going to the gym soon, and I don't want to look like an idiot. I need more options...anyone?

Alucrid

Banned
Thanks. Endura seems pretty cool, although they seem to lack in variety, and I would like to see what some of the styles look like on models before I purchase anything.

I've never really thought about it, as I don't go to the gym or play sports or anything like that, but how do people find fashionable fitness/sports wear? I mean, are there any good blogs or sites that I should check out? I'm thinking about going to the gym soon, and I don't want to look like an idiot. I need more options...anyone?

You're at the gym. I just wear whatever is comfortable and doesn't get in the way of exercising. Unless you wearing jean shorts and a t shirt with the sleeves cut off above your belly button no one will care.

bob page

Do you remember what other people wear at the gym? If not, then what's there to worry about?

Doytch

Yeah, wear whatever's functional, and just pick your favourite colours. It's your chance to wear electric green head-to-toe and not give a fuck, don't give it up! I've got tights, short shorts, longer shorts, tanks, and short/long Ts made of various materials. The most that you'll ever get out of your clothes in terms of social interactions at the gym is if you're wearing an event shirt, like how people tend to chat about whatever marathon is on my shirt and if I recommend it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dappered just did an article covering Polos, here

Also Land's End clearance has their Tailored fit Polo, and their Heritage Polo.
Land's end sizing run large from what I heard, but their return policy is very generous.

Just got the Land's End polos in (ordered one of both kinds) and they are both awesome. Fit the way I wanted them too with much less loose fabric under the arms and around my midsection. Looks great with my dress pants.

Wish they had more colors, wanted a black one, but for $10 a piece I wont complain.

Just got the Land's End polos in (ordered one of both kinds) and they are both awesome. Fit the way I wanted them too with much less loose fabric under the arms and around my midsection. Looks great with my dress pants.

Wish they had more colors, wanted a black one, but for $10 a piece I wont complain.
Whats the difference between the two?

speaking of polos, i hope the mossimo athletic fits come back to target soon. i have like 10 of em for work/weekend and i'd really like to get some new colors.

I saw a guy with with an original NES controller as a belt buckle a few weeks back. blew my mind. I'd never wear it myself, but if I was a hipster, like the guy was, I'd wear it with some sort of pretentious, ironic shirt.

I did this before with a black pair of jeans, black tshirt, black shoes, and a black fitted Jays cap. It was fun.

zchen

Jos A Bank, cedar shoe trees 3 for $25, freeship+tax
Product Link

$12.50 each, buy 2 get one free=$25 for three+tax, free shipping code SHIPAPR, enter in Promotion Code 2 box. Total was $26.96 for me.

Per "fiestaplatypus" at Dappered forum

"These are right on par with those I have received from Allen Edmonds, Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack...Split toe, full heel."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom