• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought these today half on impulse

416W9CZYGML.jpg

Clarks Toureg (?) Oxfords (I guess they're called Oxfords). Most expensive pair of shoes I have ever purchased (90 dollars plus tax). Previously I hadn't spent more than 40 dollars on a pair of shoes or I received them as a gift (got two pairs of dress shoes in my closet that I got as a gift or something).

They look odd... but I like them. I don't think I'd ever noticed any dress shoes that have that split thing in the middle. Then again, I am not exactly up to date on style or fashion. I needed to wear a suit tomorrow, and wanted to try something new, so brown shoes and brown belt since I never wear those. Match it with a Navy suit.

What do you guys think of those? It was a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale, I need to go back on Monday and get another pair of shoes for 50% off, I didn't feel like sticking around today after I'd found these.

bob page

I bought these today half on impulse

Clarks Toureg (?) Oxfords (I guess they're called Oxfords). Most expensive pair of shoes I have ever purchased (90 dollars plus tax). Previously I hadn't spent more than 40 dollars on a pair of shoes or I received them as a gift (got two pairs of dress shoes in my closet that I got as a gift or something).

They look odd... but I like them. I don't think I'd ever noticed any dress shoes that have that split thing in the middle. Then again, I am not exactly up to date on style or fashion. I needed to wear a suit tomorrow, and wanted to try something new, so brown shoes and brown belt since I never wear those. Match it with a Navy suit.

What do you guys think of those? It was a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale, I need to go back on Monday and get another pair of shoes for 50% off, I didn't feel like sticking around today after I'd found these.

Please return them. They definitely aren't worth $90.

So, my eyes are starting to wear out and it looks like I'm headed towards my first pair of glasses. Any of you guys happen to know the model number of the glasses at the top of this photo (or something similar)?

I know they're Gucci but I've done some searching and can't seem to find which model. Any information or recommendation is appreciated.

business-wardrobe-06-sturdier-frame.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, my eyes are starting to wear out and it looks like I'm headed towards my first pair of glasses. Any of you guys happen to know the model number of the glasses at the top of this photo (or something similar)?

I know they're Gucci but I've done some searching and can't seem to find which model. Any information or recommendation is appreciated.

No idea, but you should get something with horn rims.

Those will look so silly with a suit. They're pretty bad on their own.

Eh, I'm gonna be daring and try them out anyway. If I look silly, it's pretty much par for the course. If no one notices, cool. If people (by some infinitesimal chance) notice them and likes them, then great.

If I had to return all the dumb, regretful impulsive clothing choices I owned, I would not have much of a wardrobe.

CFMOORE!

Eh, I'm gonna be daring and try them out anyway. If I look silly, it's pretty much par for the course. If no one notices, cool. If people (by some infinitesimal chance) notice them and likes them, then great.

If I had to return all the dumb, regretful impulsive clothing choices I owned, I would not have much of a wardrobe.

I get that you like them. But if your end goal is to look nice and presentable, you can't have a major component of the outfit be so out of whack while the rest looks normal.

Please just stop it. Those shoes are hideous and will look worse with a suit. Find real shoes. At that price you can find much better substitutes.

Please just stop it. Those shoes are hideous and will look worse with a suit. Find real shoes. At that price you can find much better substitutes.

Perhaps, but I like them, so I am keeping them anyway. But perhaps I'll just wear my regular dress shoes tomorrow since you guys are making me increasingly insecure.

I don't get it, what makes them so hideous? I honestly don't see what's wrong with them.

Boken

Banned
Wear them with shorts and a shirt/polo or at a country house. But please don't pretend they're dress shoes.

The excessive rigid lines on it make it look terrible, it has a casual shape and the eyelets are gross.

CFMOORE!

Is it okay as a casual shoe to wear with jeans?

Cause I still like them, I don't really want to return them, I'd like to wear them. They're super-comfortable.

they're ugly no matter what in the court of opinion here. however, if you like them and want to keep them, there are acceptable ways to wear them. a suit is not one though.

Doffen

So I’m interested in ordering a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses, are there any recommended online stores out there? The store needs to ship internationally (Norway) and the product I’m looking for is RB2132 – 875.

Tomodachi

So I’m interested in ordering a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses, are there any recommended online stores out there? The store needs to ship internationally (Norway) and the product I’m looking for is RB2132 – 875.
amazon uk? they ship to italy for free (above 25£) so I imagine they would ship to norway as well.
btw RB2132 (the new wayfarer) are amazing, good choice.

if your pants are flared enough i can believe this.

I was going for flared pants, but it got ix-nayed.

I'll try and get some pics in the afternoon if you'd like to see the shame of the nation that is my shoes/suit combination. I still don't see how it looks bad.

Those are nice shoes, bob. Perhaps I did overpay, but I dig the shoes.

sangreal

Those shoes look like something a waiter would wear, or a 16 year old that needs to wear a suit but doesn't own any dress shoes. I don't like them in general (and certainly not for $90), but they are fine to wear. Just not with a suit. A lot of my coworkers wear very similar shoes with khakis

CFMOORE!

I'll try and get some pics in the afternoon if you'd like to see the shame of the nation that is my shoes/suit combination. I still don't see how it looks bad.

serious? why? and who ixnayed, because you owe them.

Boken

Banned
If you think those shoes look good, I'd be interested to see what your suit looks like.

And just to prove that $90 is ridiculous for those Clarks, I just got these AE Chesters off ebay for $60 shipped:

i3O9Rl.jpg
Wow, 60$ for AE chesters!

I totally get that you want to dress "differently"... but god... those shoes. Get monkstraps or middle seam or w/e if you want something different.

Boken

Banned
As I've grown older, I've started to find the big floppy pockets on the outside look really unattractive.

The jacket is ok I guess. Might be the pocket hate going on, but I feel like the collar doesnt suit the pockets. arg those pockets. ESPECIALLY the one in the middle. What is UP WITH THAT.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've taken up biking (mountain biking I guess) and I have no clue what to wear while doing so. Imma need some ideas. I don't want to wear bike shorts, (like, the skin tight spandex kind) but other kinds of shorts might be okay I guess? I really don't know what to wear. Halp!

Tattooth

As I've grown older, I've started to find the big floppy pockets on the outside look really unattractive.

The jacket is ok I guess. Might be the pocket hate going on, but I feel like the collar doesnt suit the pockets. arg those pockets. ESPECIALLY the one in the middle. What is UP WITH THAT.

I'm not keen on it either, it sort of looks like a big coin purse or something. It is on sale for £30 so I might just get it anyway.

bob page

What size are you? I got a pair of AE Troy's (10B) from a family member recently but they don't fit. They're in great condition and I would be willing to sell them to GAF for $65 shipped. Certainly would be a lot better for a suit than those Clark's.

ibnRVjxT8zELYv.JPG

http://minus.com/m6X42chs1/

serious? why? and who ixnayed, because you owe them.

No no no no, I was just kidding! I wasn't wearing flared pants, I have bad taste, I'm not insane.

So I wore them. Most people didn't notice since I was at a parade, there was like 20000 people walking around. My dad told me I was dressed like a lawyer, so I don't know if that's good or bad, hahaha. My sisters told me they looked decent.

No attention from beautiful women, but I was expecting that, haha.

I'm Size 11, Bob. These shoes that I have are wide around the toes compared to my other dress shoes, so I find them a bit more comfortable. Most of the dress shoes I've had have been fairly narrow (relatively) when they get to the toes and after a couple of hours of standing and walking start to bug me.

What is a monkstrap?

CFMOORE!

No no no no, I was just kidding! I wasn't wearing flared pants, I have bad taste, I'm not insane.

So I wore them. Most people didn't notice since I was at a parade, there was like 20000 people walking around. My dad told me I was dressed like a lawyer, so I don't know if that's good or bad, hahaha. My sisters told me they looked decent.

No attention from beautiful women, but I was expecting that, haha.

I'm Size 11, Bob. These shoes that I have are wide around the toes compared to my other dress shoes, so I find them a bit more comfortable. Most of the dress shoes I've had have been fairly narrow (relatively) when they get to the toes and after a couple of hours of standing and walking start to bug me.

What is a monkstrap?

if you're finding the average shoe to be tight, you probably need an E or EE in width. Look into this. as mentioned, ebay is a fantastic place for Allen Edmonds. you really cannot go wrong.

As for monk strap:

leffot-edward-green-westminster-double-monk-strap-shoe-ss2011-2.jpg

not my cup o' tea, but i can see how they can look pretty snazzy with a nice suit and goes a bit against the conservative grain.

bob page

I'm wearing a fitted navy Uniqlo hoodie with white vneck underneath + chino shorts that sit above the knee (w/ boat oxfords). I don't want to look fratty or anything.

CFMOORE!

I'm wearing a fitted Uniqlo hoodie with white vneck underneath + chino shorts that sit above the knee (w/ boat oxfords). I don't want to look fratty or anything.

doesn't sound fratty at all. the pic above doesn't give off much of a frat vibe aside from the flippy floppys. if you wear some silly ballcap, then you're heading into fratty/douche territory.

Tomodachi

Chino shorts & hoodie: yay or nay?
Nay. But not as nay as shorts & blazers.

Speaking of which, this afternoon I went to Zara and noticed they're really pushing the whole shorts+blazers thing. I really hope this won't spread this summer (well definitely not where I live at least, it's too hot already to wear a blazer).

Shorts go only with t-shirts, polos and shirts. But that's me.

bob page

Nay. But not as nay as shorts & blazers.

Speaking of which, this afternoon I went to Zara and noticed they're really pushing the whole shorts+blazers thing. I really hope this won't spread this summer (well definitely not where I live at least, it's too hot already to wear a blazer).

Shorts go only with t-shirts, polos and shirts. But that's me.

It's about to rain and I'm heading to the bars tonight- don't want to bring an umbrella with me. What a dilemma!

Bladenic

Can anyone recommend some fratty attire on a budget? Like websites/sales/etc. I have some fratty clothes but not enough. School's almost done now and I wanna come back in full force next semester. When I say budget I really just mean not mega expensive because I do have money to spend just don't like spending ridiculous amounts on one pair of shorts/jeans/shirt/etc.

CFMOORE!

Can anyone recommend some fratty attire on a budget? Like websites/sales/etc. I have some fratty clothes but not enough. School's almost done now and I wanna come back in full force next semester. When I say budget I really just mean not mega expensive because I do have money to spend just don't like spending ridiculous amounts on one pair of shorts/jeans/shirt/etc.

so you want to look like an abercrombie/hollister douche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom