• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leucrota

I bought these today half on impulse

416W9CZYGML.jpg

Clarks Toureg (?) Oxfords (I guess they're called Oxfords). Most expensive pair of shoes I have ever purchased (90 dollars plus tax). Previously I hadn't spent more than 40 dollars on a pair of shoes or I received them as a gift (got two pairs of dress shoes in my closet that I got as a gift or something).

They look odd... but I like them. I don't think I'd ever noticed any dress shoes that have that split thing in the middle. Then again, I am not exactly up to date on style or fashion. I needed to wear a suit tomorrow, and wanted to try something new, so brown shoes and brown belt since I never wear those. Match it with a Navy suit.

What do you guys think of those? It was a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale, I need to go back on Monday and get another pair of shoes for 50% off, I didn't feel like sticking around today after I'd found these.

For 90 bucks, you can usually find Clark Desert Boots which are simple, yet stylish and go with a lot of pants.

Not too bad but i'm not a fan of the military style/shoulder epaulettes; had know idea that's what they were called.
What I don't get about spring jackets in general though, is why a lot of them come in dark colours.

Hey everyone, a quick question.

What are some good low rise jeans with a Levi 501 straight leg style? I have a pair of 514 and I really like the way they fit in the rise but I'd like a bit more leg space and the 501s are a bit long in the rise. Im 5'9 if this is necessary. Thanks in advanced! Oh also, I'd rather stay within the realm of similar price range as the Levis.

Gregorn

I have no idea if you guys help with this kind of stuff, and I don't mind if you can't.

What do I need to search to find a jacket like this hip kid from Brick? Like...does it have a special name or something?

Carl Sagan and that kid have made me come to the conclusion that a brown jacket for the summer would be a good choice

Two questions.

1) I have a pair of somewhat light grey chinos, what are some good colors to wear with them (for tees, I mean)?

2) Anyone know anything about Goodale selvedge denim?

Fritz

Two questions.

1) I have a pair of somewhat light grey chinos, what are some good colors to wear with them (for tees, I mean)?

1) white and black that's it. A powdery colour if you'r daring.

Actually, I am not really sure myself :D A google search showed me this and this is what I mean:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BIC0ogO4nGY/TaDQrlnPAYI/AAAAAAAAAnk/qfl4Rhvgi8o/s1600/fass_mcdean_03_h-1.jpg[IMG]

Probably the same as pastel?![/QUOTE]

:lol Some of those are pastel-ish, but I get what you mean now. Thanks.

[quote="aznpxdd, post: 37339358"]Creative Recreation is having a 50% off on everything on their site ya'll. Not sure if people on here like them or not, just thought I'd share it.

[url]http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/73188/creative-recreation-creative-recreation-coupon-50-off-sitewide-shoes-for-the-entire-family?token=ABoBBQAAAAAGOkErVA[/url][/QUOTE]

Really like these: [url]http://www.cr8rec.com/p-2306-defeo-black-chambray-black.aspx[/url]

Boken

Banned
Two questions.

I like light cool colours with light grey chinos - light blues, light purples etc.

edit: like = light

JMizzlin

Wanting to buy a slim fitting military jacket on a budget, similar to Charlie Kelly's from Always Sunny.

220px-Charlie_Kelly.png

Anybody know anywhere that ships to Australia that will have something similar? I'm really after something without pockets, zips or any of that jazz on the front.

I posted this in another thread too. So I just found out that I had to get glasses and these are the ones I fell in love with. Do they suit my face? You can ignore the morning hair and overall bad picture quality!
Edit: Also, the text on the glasses is only there because I tried them out in the store.

558693_10150871581683793_689778792_11990631_1747201850_n.jpg

Tomodachi

I posted this in another thread too. So I just found out that I had to get glasses and these are the ones I fell in love with. Do they suit my face? You can ignore the morning hair and overall bad picture quality!
Edit: Also, the text on the glasses is only there because I tried them out in the store.
I approve. Good choice.

Alucrid

Banned
Is that how we're supposed to clean denim jeans? What is the exact process?

It's probably more worthwhile for some jeans than others, but here's how I do it.

1) Fill up bathtub / bucket / container with hot water, add detergent. (I use woolite dark)
2) Put jeans in the water, agitate them for a bit, then leave them to soak for a while.
3) Take out jeans, rinse off water, try get excess water out (I roll mine into a towel), hang dry.

558693_10150871581683793_689778792_11990631_1747201850_n.jpg
Didn't know Gary Oldman posts on GAF. But I like the glasses, I think they suit you.

sfedai0

Banned
It's probably more worthwhile for some jeans than others, but here's how I do it.

1) Fill up bathtub / bucket / container with hot water, add detergent. (I use woolite dark)
2) Put jeans in the water, agitate them for a bit, then leave them to soak for a while.
3) Take out jeans, rinse off water, try get excess water out (I roll mine into a towel), hang dry.

Good stuff. Is hot water the norm? Any issue with cold water? How long do you usually leave them soaking?

Alucrid

Banned
Good stuff. Is hot water the norm? Any issue with cold water? How long do you usually leave them soaking?

I use hot water since my denim was unsanforized, so I just do that to get any remaining shrinkage out left over from when I originally soaked it. If you're worried about shrinkage then just use cold and it'll be minimal. I usually let it sit there for about one and a half hours.

Jesus Christ. They're fucking jeans, dude.

Alucrid

Banned
No,

Some denim is just perfect when you buy it. Washing machines ruin everything, and drying anything is like microwaving pizza when you have an oven.

My H & M jeans were destroyed by my washer.

Well...I think that has more to do with them being H&M jeans than being washed in the washing machine. I could have washed mine in there perfectly fine, but for a few fairly minor reasons I didn't. Last time I was at a H&M store I looked at their jeans and they felt paper thin.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Well...I think that has more to do with them being H&M jeans than being washed in the washing machine. I could have washed mine in there perfectly fine, but for a few fairly minor reasons I didn't. Last time I was at a H&M store I looked at their jeans and they felt paper thin.

I am entering college, so I barely have enough money for personal things, let alone expensive jeans, so lately I have just been buying whatever fits good.

511's look terrible on me, and 510's are always too tight, so H & M it is. Perfect fit, but you are right, H & M and Lucky Brand know nothing of quality it seems. Far too thin.

Alucrid

Banned
I am entering college, so I barely have enough money for personal things, let alone expensive jeans, so lately I have just been buying whatever fits good.

511's look terrible on me, and 510's are always too tight, so H & M it is. Perfect fit, but you are right, H & M and Lucky Brand know nothing of quality it seems. Far too thin.

Maybe take a look at the gap 1969 or stop in at an urban outfitters (sorry) and try on a pair of unbranded? Probably around the same price (unbranded might be a bit more) but shouldn't disintegrate in the washer.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
With a blazer? Boots. ;)

But for formal shoes, you may want to check out Bass. They have some pretty damned nice dress shoes for low prices.

Those are nice. I prefer the shape of the Atlanta style, but it only comes in black apparently.

Have you done this multiple times? Does it actually "clean" them?

I have a pair of black levi jeans I got for $20 and they are still looking good, but I do notice the wash fading the black color slowly

Boken

Banned
It might take me two minutes total to do everything aside from waiting. I've also spent a good deal of time putting conditioner on my boots and throwing some lanolin on my leather jacket. Oh nooooooooooo

Watch this

are you dead?

hello?

I have no idea what just happened in that video, but it looked good.

Looking at a pair of Modern Amusement Drifter sunglasses on sale for $40, which seems dirt cheap.

Sunglasses have never really been something I've done before, but I've been wanting some lately.

The shades in question:

CUhdN.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom