• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Navy suit. Don't own any black suits.

I would've worn the middle tie , but I wasn't sure what color shirt to wear it with. I have a solid white shirt, but it's a cotton/polyester blend and doesn't feel as nice to wear as the striped shirt I posted above. I could go to the mall and purchase another shirt tomorrow (still a day between now and the wedding), I'm just unsure of what colour would work (outside of white). If I don't have time, I'll go with the first option then, I was just unsure if the pattern on the tie clashed with the stripes.

If the middle tie would look better, I'll go with that no problem.
Ah, the pictures make it look black. Navy is solid though.

Obviously, it all comes down to preference. If it was me, I'd take advantage of the fact that the wedding is in the summer time and play with some colors you might not otherwise be able to, like that tie we're discussing. As far as shirts you can wear with it, you have a lot of options. White, grey, light blue, pink are all perfectly viable choices. I'm not sure what your dress shirt wardrobe looks like, but play around with what you have and see what you like. I'd probably lean more towards a white or grey shirt, then play up the colors on the tie with a fun pocket square.

If you don't want to worry about building a new outfit, your first choice is certainly a safe option. You might try just a solid white shirt however, I think it might look better.

Rehynn

persol-steve-mcqueen.jpg

Love it. I was not familiar with Persol at all, they seem to have several models that might work for me, thanks!

I'm a big fan of the Mosley Tribes Lyndel model. They're a fun, modern take on the classic wayfarer design. I have a pair and love them (but I love just about anything from Mosley Tribes).

Not bad at all, but I have a very square-shaped face so they might not be the most fortunate choice. Will see if stores here carry them though, thanks!

n2Bea.jpg

Jeremy scott; Might be hard to find now.

Not sure if serious, haha, but no, I'd never be able to pull those off.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got any good shoe suggestions (besides boat shoes) that go well with shorts/plain shirts of all colors? Just some white sneakers? Be nice if they worked well with jeans too.

Alright guys, I need you to talk me out of buying this Paul Smith jacket. I love it but I can't afford it unless I want to eat ramen for the rest of the year.

They have it on hold for me at Nordstrom's in case I change my mind. The fit was basically perfect right off the rack though. It would be awesome for fall too.

It's $900.

Alright guys, I need you to talk me out of buying this Paul Smith jacket. I love it but I can't afford it unless I want to eat ramen for the rest of the year.

They have it on hold for me at Nordstrom's in case I change my mind. The fit was basically perfect right off the rack though. It would be awesome for fall too.

It's $900.

Oh man, how can I talk you out of it when you make it look awesome like that. The purple shirt is a brilliant choice.

But hey, what's the point of having a nice jacket if it makes your quality of life worse eating ramen noodles.

Zilch

Banned
These MMM or just the generic gats?

gotta be Margiela, got the MMM tag on the tongue. would love to cop a pair someday...

bought a pair of Sambas for the first time in a decade last weekend, had forgot how much Adidas ripped the GAT look for those sneakers.

It's $900.
You made two bad decisions here. First, you put it on (increasing lust factor significantly) AND took a picture, but you ask us, the worst support group for fiscal decisions, if you should or should not buy that ballin, sexy piece of fabric.

You deserve to buy it, it will gnaw at your soul if you don't :p

If you cannot afford you should not buy.
I mean, I won't go into bankruptcy or anything, but it will severely handicap my recreational expenses until I get paid again. I'm leaning towards not getting it though.

Oh man, how can I talk you out of it when you make it look awesome like that. The purple shirt is a brilliant choice.

But hey, what's the point of having a nice jacket if it makes your quality of life worse eating ramen noodles.
Thanks dude. I can't take too much credit for the color combination, as that was more of a coincidence that it worked out than anything, but I'll agree, I do love it as well.

I'm probably leaning towards not buying it honestly. I don't like ramen that much.

You made two bad decisions here. First, you put it on (increasing lust factor significantly) AND took a picture, but you ask us, the worst support group for fiscal decisions, if you should or should not buy that ballin, sexy piece of fabric.

You deserve to buy it, it will gnaw at your soul if you don't :p
Fuck. I hate you guys.

It's $900.

Don't buy it.

Cause I like it, but I don't love it.

So, don't buy it.

Pilgor

It's $900.

Gorgeous jacket, but it's not a good deal.

I've seen Paul Smith suits go on sale for $600. Keep in mind, they are also not fully canvased, which is always ideal, even at that price.

I do like the slant pockets, and I based my first custom suit on the Paul Smith design. Look for a better deal (PS is on Gilt sometimes), or get a jacket made for less.

Which Paul smith is this? London, ps Paul smith, or mainline? Dunno what nordstrom in SEA stocks anymore.

But yeah, you can usually find PS lines on yoox/gilt/etc at pretty good discounts, it's not a hyped label got the most part.

nick nacc

Banned
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I am about to get a very slim fit suit and was wondering about the pants, should I pleat them, cuff them? Is it preference, or is there some rule?

Edit: it's a jos bank suit. Navy blue, textured pattern ( what is that going to look like?)

bob page

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I am about to get a very slim fit suit and was wondering about the pants, should I pleat them, cuff them? Is it preference, or is there some rule?

Edit: it's a jos bank suit. Navy blue, textured pattern ( what is that going to look like?)
Do not get pleats unless you are a 50 year old man or are overweight.

You really can't add pleats. A single pleat is fine tho.

Re cuffing it depends on your taste and what the suit looks like. You could always try a cuff first and see if you like it, and hem it off if you don't.

Violater

It's $900.

Its too short, I'm seeing too much wrist.
Totally does not match your eyes.
Ramen noodles will give you cancer.

am I doint it right?
BTW how tall are you?

Gorgeous jacket, but it's not a good deal.

I've seen Paul Smith suits go on sale for $600. Keep in mind, they are also not fully canvased, which is always ideal, even at that price.

I do like the slant pockets, and I based my first custom suit on the Paul Smith design. Look for a better deal (PS is on Gilt sometimes), or get a jacket made for less.
Thanks for the advice, man.

My plan is to just put it on the back burner for now and hope that it either goes on sale, or I can find a solid deal online. I have a guy at Nordstrom's who I know pretty well and I'll just have him text me if it does.

Lucky is fucking ridiculous. He seems to make anything just look good and suave as hell.
Thanks dude. For the record I'm leaning towards not buying the jacket, but that's nice of you to say.

Which Paul smith is this? London, ps Paul smith, or mainline? Dunno what nordstrom in SEA stocks anymore.

But yeah, you can usually find PS lines on yoox/gilt/etc at pretty good discounts, it's not a hyped label got the most part.
I'm not actually sure about this. I'm pretty sure it's just mainline Paul Smith? I'll check when I'm there on Monday and get back to you.

am I doint it right?
BTW how tall are you?
It's a bit shorter but that's the look I'm going for. The wrists are fine they just look extra short in that picture. I'm 6'3".

Coconut

Banned

It's $900.

Are like some kind of Czar or something?

Alucrid

Banned
gotta be Margiela, got the MMM tag on the tongue. would love to cop a pair someday...

bought a pair of Sambas for the first time in a decade last weekend, had forgot how much Adidas ripped the GAT look for those sneakers.

Yep, MMMs. Got they BNIB and at a good price too.

Don't lie to us, but more importantly, dont lie to yourself.

F/W stuff is coming out soon ... :(

am I doint it right?
BTW how tall are you?

What do you think this is? MFA?

Alucrid

Banned
I'm gonna need some help with Fall/Winter stuff from you guys. It only gets cold enough around to here to warrant a jacket at most so I need to figure out what and how to layer my clothing.

First you put one piece of clothing, then you put another :p

there are no seasons where I live, weather-wise it's great, but from a fashion point of view it's kind of boring really :(

Yeah, I wish I lived somewhere where it was more of a 3-1 mix of cold to hot.

Antagon

Hey guys. What are your opinions on this suit?

iEC05xLpLSHjA.jpg

iebr0zSjfZ7he.jpg

Seems to fit right around the shoulders. Hard to judge the fit around your waist (stand up straight and undo your bottom button, that one should never be closed. Arms seem too long, but that's something a tailor should be able to fix without too much trouble.

IMO the combination of blue suit, blue tie and blue shirt is too much though.

A plain navy suit is great though, very versatile.

Seems to fit right around the shoulders. Hard to judge the fit around your waist (stand up straight and undo your bottom button, that one should never be closed. Arms seem too long, but that's something a tailor should be able to fix without too much trouble.

IMO the combination of blue suit, blue tie and blue shirt is too much though.

Interesting points. You're the first to mention the long sleeves. I'll get that fixed. The amount of blue is also something I'll take on board.

Antagon

Interesting points. You're the first to mention the long sleeves. I'll get that fixed. The amount of blue is also something I'll take on board.

The blue is just my opinion. If it fits right, you'll look fine. A contrasting color (shirt or tie) can make it stand out more though.

Edit: don't be put off by advice to get something tailored either. If you buy a suit off the rack, tailoring is almost always necessary to get it to fit perfect. If the shoulders fit right you got the main part of the suit right, the rest can be adjusted.

went to nordstrum tried on the Allen Edmonds McTavish shoes, they didn't have it in my width. Almost walked out of the store with a pair, i have to say they are built like tanks no wonder they last so long.

I'm gonna need some help with Fall/Winter stuff from you guys. It only gets cold enough around to here to warrant a jacket at most so I need to figure out what and how to layer my clothing.
What area do you live in again MiDNiGHTS? I'm starting to get my Fall/Winter wardrobe ready as well.

Btw,

Do you think a brown belt/shoes would look better with that suit than black?
Brown for sure. Brown and blue go great together, I use it all the time. Black and blue can be tricky as certain shades of blue blend into the black.

Also, as many here have said, never button the bottom button of a two piece jacket. I learned the hard way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom