• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some weird guys and I'm hoping I didn't buy them too small.

any tips on getting raw (n&f) jeans to stretch besides wearing them. At the moment they're still too uncomfortable for me to wear out in public without feeling like I'm waddling. I've worn them sitting around the house a few times and that has helped somewhat. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and wear them more.
You probably just need to wear them more. They generally take a good week or two of solid wear before stretching out. This of course depends on the weight of the jeans, but unless you ordered the Elephant II's, I doubt they're super heavy.

Hmm. Maybe I'll order a pair and just see how they fit.
BlueOwl has detailed measurements of most Naked & Famous pairs. Just write them down and see how they compare to jeans you already own and/or your own measurements.

the only info I have from my order says they were indigo. I don't know if those are available in different weights.

by week or two of solid wear do you mean like wear every day for a week or two?

Hmm. Maybe I'll order a pair and just see how they fit.

I'm also trying to get myself to wear more chinos in non-work scenarios. My mind still fights me because they always look dressy to me. I can never figure out what shirts to ear with them untucked, or how to dress them down just a bit. How do you guys pull them off? T-shirts? Polos? Untucked button ups? For a more casual look?

want to buy a pair of size 34s? haha

Zekes!

They'll stretch a little bit so you should be fine. If the first week is painful then you know you got the right size.

The double camo doesn't stretch that much actually, if it all. Or at least, they haven't for me.

Hmm, the thighs are my problem area. Are the other fits any better around that area?

As far as Naked & Famous goes, no. The other cuts are going to be even slimmer.

I've heard that the Slim Guys work better for some people, but I've never had any experience with them myself, and they seemed to be stocked rather uncommonly.

I have some weird guys and I'm hoping I didn't buy them too small.

any tips on getting raw (n&f) jeans to stretch besides wearing them. At the moment they're still too uncomfortable for me to wear out in public without feeling like I'm waddling. I've worn them sitting around the house a few times and that has helped somewhat. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and wear them more.

Like Alucrid said, size-up. It's fine if they're snug, but you shouldn't waddle. I'd keep trying to break that pair in, though.

I don't think that I literally waddle it just sort of feels like it. It is a BITCH getting them buttoned though.

I think I'm going to order up a size and try them on.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
BlueOwl has detailed measurements of most Naked & Famous pairs. Just write them down and see how they compare to jeans you already own and/or your own measurements.

Thanks. I'll check that out. My issue is finding jeans that fit, and look right as far as leg opening goes. The tapered Levis I have now fit well, but unless I wear tighter shirts it looks weird because they taper down pretty good around the ankle. Any shirt with any kind of bagginess looks off.

want to buy a pair of size 34s? haha

Funny thing is depending on the jeans I wear anywhere from 32 to 36. The tapered 508s I have now are 33s and still big in the waist, but if I go smaller they will be too tight everywhere else. My other jeans are 35s. Seems like if I try to get jeans that fit my waist they are super tight everywhere else, so I have to wear a belt all the time...

I don't think I could ever wear those jeans if they are tight in the thighs. I have thunder thighs from Football and Ice Hockey.

Right there with you. Mine are just from biking and a lot of jumping around in P90X/2/Insanity. They just will not fit in most jeans, if they do the jeans become super tight spandex when i sit down.

Thanks. I'll check that out. My issue is finding jeans that fit, and look right as far as leg opening goes. The tapered Levis I have now fit well, but unless I wear tighter shirts it looks weird because they taper down pretty good around the ankle. Any shirt with any kind of bagginess looks off.

Funny thing is depending on the jeans I wear anywhere from 32 to 36. The tapered 508s I have now are 33s and still big in the waist, but if I go smaller they will be too tight everywhere else. My other jeans are 35s. Seems like if I try to get jeans that fit my waist they are super tight everywhere else, so I have to wear a belt all the time...

Right there with you. Mine are just from biking and a lot of jumping around in P90X/2/Insanity. They just will not fit in most jeans, if they do the jeans become super tight spandex when i sit down.

Well seriously let me know. I read somewhere to size down 1 because n&f used a "vanity size" or something and that is not really my experience with them.

they can be a bit tight but you really shouldn't struggle to put them on.

I'm going with you and the others. I already ordered up a size actually.

It's honestly my biggest problem with N&F Weird Guy, the thigh area that is. And my pants range in sizes as well so yeah, not fun. Maybe this time will be different if I go try the Weft versions.

But if you can either take your measurements and compare them to Blue Owl's site or can try without having to pay (either Barney's or a local place that sells), it's probably the way to go until you finally buy I guess.

I've heard that the Slim Guys work better for some people, but I've never had any experience with them myself, and they seemed to be stocked rather uncommonly.
Seems kind of counter-productive from what I know about their cuts. I always thought Weird Guys were made especially for those with larger legs/waists.

Slim Guys are definitely the hardest of the 3 main Naked & Famous cuts to find.

I don't think that I literally waddle it just sort of feels like it. It is a BITCH getting them buttoned though.
Have you worn raw denim/designer jeans before? Cause your experience sounds pretty similar to that of someone who's wearing them for the first time. Whether you wear them everyday or not is up to you, but you should definitely wear them as much as possible.

Also to answer your question about the weight, pretty sure the Indigos are on the lighter end. If it didn't say anything about the weight, that should be the case.

Sounds like your issue might be more about the shirts that you're wearing?

Seems kind of counter-productive from what I know about their cuts. I always thought Weird Guys were made especially for those with larger legs/waists.

I strangely found this to be true regarding the Slim Guys. I thought due to the taper, the thigh area would be wider, but in trying on a pair of Slim Guys, it just seemed to fit better overall especially in the thigh area.

Still, I keep trying on Weird Guys to finally find one that just works for me, but it doesn't happen very often.

Stretch versions... Need to try on for sure just to make sure.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You guys should get the stretch versions that n and f makes. No more struggling.

Hmm, this sounds interesting.

Maybe we all should just get these:

images

S
Sounds like your issue might be more about the shirts that you're wearing?

Yeah, a lot of them are existing wardrobe that I wore with baggier jeans before. Still, if the shirt isn't fairly tight, especially around the waist, it looks odd. Even some button ups that hang a bit baggier look weird. I can't really wear any of my old college t-shirts or anything because they are a bit loose overall. Hoodies look too baggy too.

I've been going with plain, random colored medium Gap t-shirts mostly. They fit tight and look decent. When I want to wear my other tshirts I have to wear jeans that aren't tapered and are a bit baggier.

Maybe I'm just odd.

h3ro

I'm sorry to tell you this but apparently camos are vilified within GAF. They also seem to hate this thread.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Not too worried about random posters online. I'm confident on what looks good and fits me well. :)
Yeah, if I get any fit complaints about Weird Guys at my work, it's usually that they're snug around the thighs. Whatever, the double camos are great pants and if they're not uncomfortable, enjoy them. I get constant compliments on them.
They'll stretch a little bit so you should be fine. If the first week is painful then you know you got the right size.
Perfect. Really looking forward to an opportunity to break these out, definitely gonna try to break them in over the next coming days and hope I can get a little bit more stretch in them around the thighs.

I strangely found this to be true regarding the Slim Guys. I thought due to the taper, the thigh area would be wider, but in trying on a pair of Slim Guys, it just seemed to fit better overall especially in the thigh area.

Still, I keep trying on Weird Guys to finally find one that just works for me, but it doesn't happen very often.

Stretch versions... Need to try on for sure just to make sure.
I own the Black Power Stretch Weird Guys and they are awesome. Quite possibly my favorite pair I own.

Yeah, a lot of them are existing wardrobe that I wore with baggier jeans before. Still, if the shirt isn't fairly tight, especially around the waist, it looks odd. Even some button ups that hang a bit baggier look weird. I can't really wear any of my old college t-shirts or anything because they are a bit loose overall. Hoodies look too baggy too.

Maybe I'm just odd.
That's normal. It would look equally awkward wearing a slim shirt with super baggy pants.

Just start buying shirts of the slim (not tight) variety. Experiment with sizing down if you're in a position to try them on ahead of time. I know you like Express shirts so that might be one place to start. If you own any that you're fond of you can always take them to a tailor. Taking in the back is a pretty easy job, relatively speaking. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

yes this is my first raw denim experience.

hmm maybe I will try a pair of slim guys too.
Honestly dude, I'm pretty sure this answers your question. Just be patient and if they don't start to loosen up in the next few weeks, size up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That's normal. It would look equally awkward wearing a slim shirt with super baggy pants.

Just start buying shirts of the slim (not tight) variety. Experiment with sizing down if you're in a position to try them on ahead of time. I know you like Express shirts so that might be one place to start. If you own any that you're fond of you can always take them to a tailor. Taking in the back is a pretty easy job, relatively speaking. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

Thing that sucks is since losing weight, and actually caring about fashion a bit none of my old stuff fits right or works with my new stuff. I have so much old stuff! I like Express a lot, I wish they made a version of their button ups that were an inch or two shorter though for wearing untucked.

I'll look around. So far it's been mostly plain tees that fit and look good. No graphic tees or much else.

Thing that sucks is since losing weight, and actually caring about fashion a bit none of my old stuff fits right or works with my new stuff. I have so much old stuff! I like Express a lot, I wish they made a version of their button ups that were an inch or two shorter though for wearing untucked.

I'll look around. So far it's been mostly plain tees that fit and look good. No graphic tees or much else.
Yep, that's the only downside to losing weight. I'm going through the reverse now as I've gained a bunch of weight and now some of my clothes are a tad too snug.

Raynes

Looking for something really specific as I saw it and thought it looked really cool, plain colored full sleeve shirt with plaid just on the sleeves. Already tried googling this but can't seem to find anything. halp.

I'm going with grey chinos and a light blue button up tomorrow. Do I go brown belt and shoes or black?
Brown.

Looking for something really specific as I saw it and thought it looked really cool, plain colored full sleeve shirt with plaid just on the sleeves. Already tried googling this but can't seem to find anything. halp.
Way too broad of a question. You're going to have to post pictures if you hope to find it.

EDIT: Unless that's it above?

Alucrid

Banned
1) i really want a helmut lang ma-1 bondage jacket

2) i think the next fashion thread should just be gender neutral so i have more reason to post awesome women pieces

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
can we do rich/poor versions of the thread too? I had to unsubscribe because there's basically nothing remotely attainable talked about any more, heh.

"I need some shoes!"
*links to $900 sneakers*

friday

I like J crew, but I feel like it is a bit pricy for what you get.

All this talk of Weird Guys makes me want to try a pair. The skinny guys were my first pair of nice denim and still my favorite to this day.

If even one girl posted in that new gender neutral thread I would be amazed. And I mean a girl who was deep into the fashion not just asking for advice (imagine that a girl asking for advice here). Most of the people barely care about this thread as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom