• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookje

If even one girl posted in that new gender neutral thread I would be amazed. And I mean a girl who was deep into the fashion not just asking for advice (imagine that a girl asking for advice here). Most of the people barely care about this thread as it is.
Wait what, where is this thread?

Zekes!

All this talk of Weird Guys makes me want to try a pair. The skinny guys were my first pair of nice denim and still my favorite to this day.

I like Weird Guys and Skinny Guys for different reasons. When I'm going for a more 'street' look, the higher rise on the Skinny Guys means I can wear them lower without the issue of my ass hanging out every where.

Man I really dig JCrew's FW 13 stuff
j-crew-new-york-fashion-week-fall-2013-21.jpg

I really like this cardigan. I really need to cop some new cardigans/light jackets for the spring. Nowadays I just wear my Levi's denim jacket or white Creep trucker jacket and call it a day.

can we do rich/poor versions of the thread too? I had to unsubscribe because there's basically nothing remotely attainable talked about any more, heh.

"I need some shoes!"
*links to $900 sneakers*

I'm trying to get in to better spending habits as I'm going back to school in the fall. This is why I'm sticking to Chucks and Vans for the next few years.

Mr. F

Banned
I meant this very thread. With all these members and it being vastly majority guys you would think more people would post in here so it's unlikely the fewer female users on GAF would post either.

I think it's partly budgetary concerns (as Cosmic Bus pointed out) as well as a bit of an exclusive atmosphere. A fair number of questions/posts get glossed over in favour of conversation between the regulars active in this thread, which can be kind of discouraging. I'm not pointing fingers and do enjoy/find the thread very helpful, but I'm personally less inclined to be active in it for these reasons.

Man I really dig JCrew's FW 13 stuff

j-crew-new-york-fashion-week-fall-2013-16.jpg

Really digging that coat. Also reminds me I need to get more belts
to add to my collection of one.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
didn't he have rtw stuff for like 12k that sold out pretty much immediately?

Kendrick Lamar was wearing his shoes. And it seems the type of clothes that will attract celebrities. I'm sure the mens line will make PPR money. Before Hedi, YSL sparingly committed on mens runway shows or the line. It also didn't garner much attention.

I'm not sure if YSL will stop selling they "Y" logo staples and general accessories, but it be stupid if they stopped. Stuff like that still has a market. The Saint Laurent stuff can be sold in stores side by side, but Hedi seems like the type to want only his stuff sold. The womens line will tell if Hedi's a success. At least PPR is getting attention, good and bad, since that's what they wanted.

Is this the same guy who wore a leather jacket under a blazer?
I have no idea but it probably looked better than anything hedi has pooped out at slp
boo ;( i can't see mainline zegna stuff changing all that much tbh but we'll see
we'll see, a lot of these conservative labels are pushing something more directional lately. look at valentino, ferragamo, and shit, brioni hired a dude from givenchy.

I think it's partly budgetary concerns (as Cosmic Bus pointed out) as well as a bit of an exclusive atmosphere. A fair number of questions/posts get glossed over in favour of conversation between the regulars active in this thread, which can be kind of discouraging. I'm not pointing fingers and do enjoy/find the thread very helpful, but I'm personally less inclined to be active in it for these reasons.

Really digging that coat. Also reminds me I need to get more belts
to add to my collection of one.

This is a nice way of saying my general criticism of this thread. It's become a hobbyist thread to the point where new people looking for good advice feel excluded.

Alucrid

Banned
This is a nice way of saying my general criticism of this thread. It's become a hobbyist thread to the point where new people looking for good advice feel excluded.

Well uh, if you have a question now feel free to ask and I'll take a shot at it.

I mean, I think questions of fit usually go over well here simply because that's something basic that anyone can answer. When people start asking for "X piece of clothing" under "X arbitrary dollar amount" is where it gets difficult since it might be above or below their knowledgeable price point.

That said I think mac and lucky usually go out of their way fairly often to give advice or find possible items.

I like J crew, but I feel like it is a bit pricy for what you get.

I love the overall brand and styling, but there are huge value discrepancies on a lot of their stuff.

For example, my mother in law bought me one of their cashmere cableknit sweaters that runs $200 for Christmas. It's soft, gorgeous and I've gotten compliments every time I've worn it, but it's already pilling like Linday Lohan on a thursday. Also, I've got two pairs of their Bowery cotton pants that have these weird lines any time they're pressed; I thought it was my shit iron but it happens when I take them to the cleaners as well. Also, dont buy any of their Wallace & Barnes line; it's an in-house line that is not worth the absurd price premium.

On the other hand, I've gotten great use of a tweed blazer, all the chinos I've gotten there, a made in USA leather belt for under $50 and had great luck with their soft wash line of cotton shirts.

can we do rich/poor versions of the thread too? I had to unsubscribe because there's basically nothing remotely attainable talked about any more, heh.

"I need some shoes!"
*links to $900 sneakers*
True but a lot of times people just don't state their price range. I think the times that people have asked for cheaper, affordable options, people have gone out of their way to link and/or suggest pieces that would fit their criteria.

If someone comes in and says, "hey guys I'm looking for a grey blazer," naturally we're going to want to link them to something of quality.

This is a very real concern, but I think it's more of an issue with community driven threads than this actual thread itself. I know this happens in the Fitness thread all the time for instance.

With that said, I think the majority of people in here do a good job of trying to help others answer their questions. The problem is, some people come in here assuming we know everything there is to know about fashion and get discouraged when they either, A. don't get the answer they like or, B. don't get an answer at all. While the latter is certainly frustrating, the truth is there are some questions asked in here that people just can't answer and rather than posting "sorry, I don't know" they just skip over it. I know I've done this numerous times.

Ultimately, I hope nobody feels discouraged or intimidated enough NOT to post in this thread. There's a really good group of guys in here who know their stuff and most of us are always eager to help out.

Got my Tax Return back today, and I want to treat myself to a real old school flannel baseball jersey.

Ohh the decisions...

SEA61H-550.gif

SFS38R-550.gif

SPO64R-550.gif

332_3676_popup.gif

I know that this really isn't everyones cup of tea here, but I just love retro jerseys like this.

I love baseball jerseys but for me they're strictly for wearing at sporting events. With that said, any of those retro ones will make for a good collectors item.

I like the Rainiers one, but obviously I'm biased since I'm such a big M's fan.

It's nice that all the jerseys are on sale as well, I just don't know for how long.

I can get 1 jersey for 136.xx

Or I can do 6 T-Shirts for 99.99

631_3156_popup.gif

1764_3159_popup.gif

1238_1761_popup.gif

SEA56T-550.gif

HAI61T-550.gif

1220_1735_popup.gif

Ohh the decisions.

I love baseball jerseys but for me they're strictly for wearing at sporting events. With that said, any of those retro ones will make for a good collectors item.

I like the Rainiers one, but obviously I'm biased since I'm such a big M's fan.

How do you feel about basketball jerseys? I see guys that sometimes pull them off with other clothes.

I never like the idea of wearing a shirt with a sports team on it but I found this Rangers sweatshirt that I think looks nice.

lYxOWrU.jpg

I hate the Rangers, but they struck gold, going retro with the Dark Navy on their jerseys. Beats the plain old blue they used to use.

Hockey Jerseys though can look well worn with a nice hoody underneath though.

new-york-rangers-third-3rd-jersey.jpg

How do you feel about basketball jerseys? I see guys that sometimes pull them off with other clothes.
There's no question basketball jerseys are the most versatile of the bunch. I'm still not a big fan of wearing jerseys outside of sporting events, but I know plenty of guys who wear old Sonics jerseys like the one you just posted and look fine.

kaskade

I hate the Rangers, but they struck gold, going retro with the Dark Navy on their jerseys. Beats the plain old blue they used to use.

Hockey Jerseys though can look well worn with a nice hoody underneath though.

new-york-rangers-third-3rd-jersey.jpg
Yeah they have the blue version. I just liked the color scheme of the other one if I was to wear it out. It's 110 bucks though. So unless I go to a game, I'm not buying it.

tIwCmfx.jpg

There's no question basketball jerseys are the most versatile of the bunch. I'm still not a big fan of wearing jerseys outside of sporting events, but I know plenty of guys who wear old Sonics jerseys like the one you just posted and look fine.

Trust me man, girls like guys who wear jerseys. If the fedora tells them you're likely lame, the jersey tells them you got something going on.

So I think I'm going to get the one Rainiers jersey, it just sucks it takes 4-6 weeks for delivery, but then again it's 100% handmade, so I guess it's worth the wait.

Zekes!

The only jersey I have is a Yao Ming Rockets jersey. Maybe I'll rock that tomorrow.

Anyways, how do you guys feel about Dr. Martens? I feel like I want to try them out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom