• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, thats probably all completely true. But I don't really drive so I kinda just wear normal outfits when I ride. I guess they're shorts for biking in, rather than biking shorts. Since wearing jeans or pants on a bike sucks.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
macuser1of5 said:
Also people, where are the daily wear pics, or pics of anything for that matter? We need images in this thread yo.

There's no dress code at my job, so I usually just wear whatever's comfortable for the weather and is really casual. If I had more occasion to dress up in some pricier stuff, since that seems to be the biggest focus in here, I'd consider doing regular-ish pics.

I almost never leave the house without a cardigan of some sort, heh. Shorts or some slim/skinny jeans, tank top or the occasional button-up, and a handbag or shoulder bag... Had a neat bracelet today, too.

Ketchup Boy

^^Mirin' your estilo. Notice someone's got definition on their chest!!! hahaha wish I could wear short shorts, but I don't have the legs yet (working on it!!!).

Anyone keeping up with fashion week? It's this week, right? Anything good happen?

bK4Scl.jpg

Trying to step up from my jeans/polo. Yes/No suggestions?

Also, had the beeswax Clarks since about April and am really starting to like the look they get as they get worn in a bit.

Doytch

Shirt is too long to be untucked, but the shoulders on it are too big anyway. Shame cause it looks like a nice pattern.

sharkmuncher said:
bK4Scl.jpg

Trying to step up from my jeans/polo. Yes/No suggestions?

Also, had the beeswax Clarks since about April and am really starting to like the look they get as they get worn in a bit.
A size big all around. Plus your boots don't get to shine with baggy chinos all over them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
alex chilton said:
The shoes provide barely any warmth in the cold, and if it snows you're screwed cause they just soak up the wetness.

Ah. Thanks for the response. Looks like I need to find a different shoe then. :/

Guys, I have a dilemma... My neck is a 15.5, and I usually buy shirts in 15.5 x 34/35 in "fitted" or "slim fit" cuts. I've noticed, though, that most of my sleeves fit me about half an inch short and it's really starting to bother me. I feel like a kid wearing old clothes in most of my shirts now that I've consciously realized that my sleeves are short. So what do I do? Would buying 36/37 shirts increase the size of torso/body too much? Or am I misunderstanding shirt sizing here?

EDIT:

I guess I answered my own question with a little research.

For example, the Perry Ellis site has these measurements:

IBDAG.png

Kohl's has these:
31lHW.png

So I'm seeing a good 2-3" increase in Chest size just to get a 1/2" - 1" increase in sleeve length. This would mean I have to tailor all of my shirt purchases. That's a lot of $ :/

For reference, I'm 6'2"

CFMOORE!

i'd personally rather have a sleeve be a bit short than the chest be too large. in my experience even buying XS, which fits me the best, the sleeves are about a half inch longer than I'd like them to be. But I can live with the fit as it's almost perfect with no need for excessive tailoring of all my button ups.

Is it possible to get a shot of your sleeve? I doubt it's really "grown man in children's clothing" bad.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
A guilty pleasure of mine lately has been checking out Korean fashion shops on Ebay. There's completely bonkers designs all over the place with the incidental cool design. Quality is probably quite poor most of the time, but it's all so..... cheap.

CFMOORE!

Rei_Toei said:
A guilty pleasure of mine lately has been checking out Korean fashion shops on Ebay. There's completely bonkers designs all over the place with the incidental cool design. Quality is probably quite poor most of the time, but it's all so..... cheap.

I actually find most of those designs to be rather gross but that is my opinion. however, i have been recently scouring ebay like a madman in the past few days looking for all kinds of cool items, mostly suits that are vintage yet retain modern styling and would require as little tailoring as possible to fit me right.

Right now I have about 20 items on my watch list.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
CFMOORE! said:
I actually find most of those designs to be rather gross but that is my opinion. however, i have been recently scouring ebay like a madman in the past few days looking for all kinds of cool items, mostly suits that are vintage yet retain modern styling and would require as little tailoring as possible to fit me right.

Right now I have about 20 items on my watch list.

Oh, don't get me wrong, 99% of the stuff on there is pretty appalling, and a lot is just cheap copying ala Zara, but there's some designs I like for doing something drastically different then American/European designers.

LordCanti

I pretty much never buy from yoox or similar sites because I know the fit will be a problem (converting sizes from European to US, etc). The thought of buying clothes on ebay is even less appealing to me.

What is the return/exchange policy like on purchases like that? Do the Koreans just tell you to shove it up your ass if you tell them that you'd like an exchange?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
LordCanti said:
I pretty much never buy from yoox or similar sites because I know the fit will be a problem (converting sizes from European to US, etc). The thought of buying clothes on ebay is even less appealing to me.

What is the return/exchange policy like on purchases like that? Do the Koreans just tell you to shove it up your ass if you tell them that you'd like an exchange?

Must admit I've only once bought a shirt from a Korean shop, but they were the very example of perfect service actually. They made a mistake with the postal address - I provided them with the correct address but they went with an old address in my Paypal details I had forgotten to change. Mailed them after a couple weeks that the shirt had never arrived, they send a new one free of charge. Then I picked up some mail for a friend at the old address I used to live, found the initial shipped shirt there. Got back with the shop, they told me to consider it a gift and stated the hope I'd shop at them again.

Regarding the sizes, it's a bit of a hassle, but usually they provide inches/cm for all the important things (overall length, sleeve length, shoulder, etc) so what I do is measure clothing I have and fits well and compare with their charts. Haven't had problems so far. A thing to be more cautious about is how some clothing of course is wrapped around a mannequin 'perfectly' - you'll never be able to wear it like that and walk around :).

The thing I like about it is basically that there's really a small chance you'll see someone else walk around in it - opposite to Zara/H&M/We - brands with affordable stuff I see everyone here walk around in. I actually get tons of compliments for that single Korean shirt I bought simply because it's a little different from everything available in shops here.

RJNavarrete said:
This would mean I have to tailor all of my shirt purchases. That's a lot of $ :/

For reference, I'm 6'2"

Skip that step, just get tailor made shirts. Fit will be almost perfect (providing you get measured up properly).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm wondering what bro-fashion
police
GAF thinks of cargo pants. Something you should lose after highschool/should've never started with anyway or still acceptable in your twenties? I like these from Levi's, sorta.

Eric WK

RatskyWatsky said:
? The desert experiences winter just like in any other place...

Uh, yeah. No shit. That doesn't alter my point in any way.

Rei_Toei said:
police
GAF thinks of cargo pants. Something you should lose after highschool/should've never started with anyway or still acceptable in your twenties? I like these from Levi's, sorta.

The former and oh my god, please don't buy those.

LordCanti

Rei_Toei said:
police

Unless your job requires them, cargo pants are kind of awful. They fit way too baggy, they've got needless pockets, etc.

Rei_Toei said:
Must admit I've only once bought a shirt from a Korean shop, but they were the very example of perfect service actually. They made a mistake with the postal address - I provided them with the correct address but they went with an old address in my Paypal details I had forgotten to change. Mailed them after a couple weeks that the shirt had never arrived, they send a new one free of charge. Then I picked up some mail for a friend at the old address I used to live, found the initial shipped shirt there. Got back with the shop, they told me to consider it a gift and stated the hope I'd shop at them again.

Regarding the sizes, it's a bit of a hassle, but usually they provide inches/cm for all the important things (overall length, sleeve length, shoulder, etc) so what I do is measure clothing I have and fits well and compare with their charts. Haven't had problems so far. A thing to be more cautious about is how some clothing of course is wrapped around a mannequin 'perfectly' - you'll never be able to wear it like that and walk around :).

The thing I like about it is basically that there's really a small chance you'll see someone else walk around in it - opposite to Zara/H&M/We - brands with affordable stuff I see everyone here walk around in. I actually get tons of compliments for that single Korean shirt I bought simply because it's a little different from everything available in shops here.

I run into the problem of unrealistic fits pretty often when buying clothes online, even from large businesses. They'll show clothes fitting one way, and they simply can't fit like that on a human being. Skinny jeans are probably the worst offenders, because there is quite a gulf between "skinny" jeans made for 12 year old's that won't fit a grown man, and "skinny" jeans made for everyone over the age of eighteen that isn't a stick person. They may show a normal sized looking person in a pair, but I'll buy them and my calf muscle can't make it through the hole (nor my size 13 feet).

It's awesome of them to send you out a new one though. I'm sure that level of service is dependent on the individual merchant though.

Alucrid

Banned
LordCanti said:
Unless your job requires them, cargo pants are kind of awful. They fit way too baggy, they've got needless pockets, etc.

I run into the problem of unrealistic fits pretty often when buying clothes online, even from large businesses. They'll show clothes fitting one way, and they simply can't fit like that on a human being. Skinny jeans are probably the worst offenders, because there is quite a gulf between "skinny" jeans made for 12 year old's that won't fit a grown man, and "skinny" jeans made for everyone over the age of eighteen that isn't a stick person. They may show a normal sized looking person in a pair, but I'll buy them and my calf muscle can't make it through the hole (nor my size 13 feet).

It's awesome of them to send you out a new one though. I'm sure that level of service is dependent on the individual merchant though.
Uh...if you're shopping by how they look on models / manikins you're doing it wrong. Measurements brah.

LordCanti

Alucrid said:
Uh...if you're shopping by how they look on models / manikins you're doing it wrong. Measurements brah.

A lot of places don't list the exact measurements. Take Gap/BR for instance. They have a general measurement list for you to go by, but when push comes to shove, I may fit into one pair of jeans and not another because the measurements are off from one to the next. The same goes for shirts. There is very little uniformity. Add in vanity sizing, and it all goes to hell.

Edit: Not to pick on gap or anything. Clothing size uniformity is kind of terrible across the board.

LordCanti said:
lol I get 90% of my closet off of yoox/internet shopping, since I live in the sticks where I have zero options. Sizing isn't really a problem once you figure out the system, and a lot of designer labels are manufactured at the same places which lends to consistency. I've only had to return a couple items out of dozens due to fit.

I think cargo pants can look good if they are tailored well or are a bit different than the usual 'cargo pant'. I have a pair of black velvet pants that I guess are technically cargo pants, but you wouldn't know by looking at them.

Question about topsiders, gentlemen. I notice most guys wear their boat shoes super-snug, so is it odd if you wear them a little loose?

The last Sperries I wore were tight and ended up tearing along one of the.seams, and I got my new ones with a little room in them (from 12w to 13). I personally love the airiness, but I don't know if I'm committing a fashion faux-paux.

CFMOORE!

Etrian Oddity said:
Question about topsiders, gentlemen. I notice most guys wear their boat shoes super-snug, so is it odd if you wear them a little loose?

The last Sperries I wore were tight and ended up tearing along one of the.seams, and I got my new ones with a little room in them (from 12w to 13). I personally love the airiness, but I don't know if I'm committing a fashion faux-paux.

after buying and wearing many pairs of shoes over the years that had some room in them, I think it's best, just like clothes, that there be a proper fit with regards to shoes. granted, you want to be comfortable, but just like a baggy pant is dumb, so is a "baggy" shoe in my opinion.

LordCanti

Rickard said:
Does anybody here shop at a big and tall store?

A lot of regular retailers go to like... XXXL for shirts, 40-46" waists, and lengths in the 40's for pants (at their online stores anyway). You'd have to be pretty large to need to shop at the B&T store (either height-wise, girth-wise, or both).

RJNavarrete said:
So I'm seeing a good 2-3" increase in Chest size just to get a 1/2" - 1" increase in sleeve length. This would mean I have to tailor all of my shirt purchases. That's a lot of $ :/

For reference, I'm 6'2"

This was my dilemma a couple pages back. I'm also 6'2 but have a 16 1/2 inch neck. I have some regular fit shirts as well as slim fit, but both (especially the regular) are too large in the chest/stomach area, so when I tuck my shirts in they "poof" out and the advice in this thread is pushing me towards tailoring them all because they just don't fit right. I found a tailor that will do it for $8 a shirt, which I don't think is too bad, maybe you can find something as well?

Dr. Feel Good said:
This was my dilemma a couple pages back. I'm also 6'2 but have a 16 1/2 inch neck. I have some regular fit shirts as well as slim fit, but both (especially the regular) are too large in the chest/stomach area, so when I tuck my shirts in they "poof" out and the advice in this thread is pushing me towards tailoring them all because they just don't fit right. I found a tailor that will do it for $8 a shirt, which I don't think is too bad, maybe you can find something as well?
Yea... if I can find someone to do that for 8 a pop I'll gladly size up to 36/37.

I mean does the average guy really need all that gut/chest room?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Feel Good said:
Shit, that's a good deal. I just paid $20 per shirt. :(

Great King Bowser said:
I just paid 20 POUNDS. Although the sleeves are also being narrowed.
Sleeve adjustments jack up the price immensely; I tried a number of tweaks on one shirt that was a little big and it never really gelled. Thankfully I can find shirts in my size for decent prices; I hate tailoring shit.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Great King Bowser said:
I just paid 20 POUNDS. Although the sleeves are also being narrowed.
I asked about the sleeves, but the tailor said that bringing in the fabric on the sides would help them. Hopefully find out tomorrow.

Draft

You want a dress shirt or oxford that fits right, get one made. What are you divas paying for your off the rack shirts? $30-$40 a pop? You can get a custom made shirt for $80. Twice as expensive, but it will last longer and it will look better.

This is working man knowledge, not BAPE nonsense.

Draft said:
You want a dress shirt or oxford that fits right, get one made. What are you divas paying for your off the rack shirts? $30-$40 a pop? You can get a custom made shirt for $80. Twice as expensive, but it will last longer and it will look better.

This is working man knowledge, not BAPE nonsense.
I do good with OTR shirts, but I'm a pretty easy fit. I avoid MTM, especially online, unless absolutely necessary. A lot of the stuff I see coming out of these programs suffer from either too little adjustment or too much, IMO.

And no I'm not buying $30 shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom